Melbourne Football

Season 23/24 - Round 2 - Melbourne vs Adelaide Sunday 29th Oct - 7.00 pm

IssySG

I watched the Matildas beat the Philippines 8-0 so I missed the first half. The second half City played liked the Philippines.

What on earth did somebody see in Ugarkovic and the new visa players? Message to the club, Adelaide played plenty of talented youth yet the club recruited ageing players?

And Rado? well GTFO now.

1 minute ago, Nate said:

Turned it off after the third, can't believe we conceded another 3 lol.

Horrendous game style and way too much player turnover to account for I think.

It's almost as though the players from last season jumped off the ship as they knew it was going to sink this season...

• Sad 1

The most disappointing thing is the 10 minutes it went from 3 to 6. We just folded like a deck of cards, that's nothing to do with talent or even game plan that's a group of players who decided it was a bit tough to fight out the 90.

Talbot is a shadow of where he was 12 months ago, Reis is a much better CB than RB but still he isn't up to starting, Souprayen was ok tonight but you can't tell me there isn't a 28 year old who can do the exact same job, Ugarkovic has been a flat out fail so far, Sakhi is just a meh player, Jakolis tries but lacks consistent quality, Antonis is only a solid back up, Lopane isn't a winger.

That leaves about 3 players in Young, Behich and Maclaren from tonight that I'm completely happy to start every week in their position that they played.

The squad build is not great, and we don't have the kids this season to support and supplement any weakness we have.

It's going to be a long seasonĀ 

Edited by neio
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, neio said:

The most disappointing thing is the 10 minutes it went from 3 to 6. We just folded like a deck of cards, that's nothing to do with talent or even game plan that's a group of players who decided it was a bit tough to fight out the 90.

Talbot is a shadow of where he was 12 months ago, Reis is a much better CB than RB but still he isn't up to starting, Souprayen was ok tonight but you can't tell me there isn't a 28 year old who can do the exact same job, Ugarkovic has been a flat out just so far, Sakhi is just a meh player, Jakolis tries but lacks consistent quality, Antonis is only a solid back up, Lopane isn't a winger.

That leaves about 3 players in Young, Behich and Maclaren from tonight that I'm completely happy to start every week in their position that they played.

The squad build is not great, and we don't have the kids this season to support and supplement any weakness we have.

It's going to be a long seasonĀ 

Yep nailed it! Apart from Arslan we have really fd the recruiting this season...

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

UgarkovicĀ has been the most disappointing this club has had for a while I tell you what. I know that you can't replace what O'neil gave us but fmd he is the biggest pedestrian out there atm.

We collapsed after he was taken off is an interesting fact.

Probably the worst performance from a City men's team for 4 or 5 years. The scoreline flattered us.

Positives:

I was watching the Matildas on another screen

It was only a 90 minute game.

Negatives:

We were still on the plane back from Thailand: no intensity, no plan, no movement, no pressing, no ball control, 20 minutes before we even had a shot on goal.

If I saw one more back pass I was going to scream.

I said I'm preseason young isn't the answer bloke is on the verge of retirement. UGA and Antonis are just journey men not the kind of guys you should aim for to win titles.Ā 

Then the others aren't Worth mentioning especially old mate who dives twice in a week.Ā 

Arslan and Caputo are the only players worth being excited aboutĀ 

That's what I thought. According toĀ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Melbourne_City_FC_records_and_statisticsĀ today was our worst ever defeat.

So FFS people stop making excuses. I'm not saying it can't get better but let's be honest. The club needs to be honest too. You can't solve a problem until you actually admit that you've got one.

12 minutes ago, haz said:

Don't see how any players would get confidence from him. Worlds apart from PK.Ā 

I couldn't endure more than a minute. FMD, your worst defeat in the history of the club - show some passion, show some care, show some balls man. Instead just a shrug of the shoulders and the dreary tone of voice...FFS.Ā 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, citypool said:

I said I'm preseason young isn't the answer bloke is on the verge of retirement. UGA and Antonis are just journey men not the kind of guys you should aim for to win titles.Ā 

The defensive pivot is the most crucial player in our style of play, both offensively and defensively. Ugarkovic is well below the level required

Yeah let's blame Rado for CFG raping the MC team of Floran, Van der ven, O'Neil, Barisha, Jordan and Tulio. Why MC is rubbish is in plain sight. Ange couldn't even manage this disaster of a list.

Doesn't matter if they play 4 high on an attack if there is no supply, doesn't matter how good the defenders are if there is no supply cut off.

Jamie standing there waiting for supply, there is none as it was taken away with a stroke of a pen.

Antonis and Ugarkovic are seasoned players from a defensive counter mindset and not a high press possession game and might not fit in at all.

The mid field is where the game is won and MC has none.

Let's see what happens when Arslan and Leckie are on the pitch but until then don't expect much from this list.

Edited by playmaker
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, playmaker said:

Yeah let's blame Rado for CFG raping the MC team of Floran, Van der ven, O'Neil, Barisha, Jordan and Tulio. Why MC is rubbish is in plain site. Ange couldn't even manage this disaster of a list.

Doesn't matter if they play 4 high on an attack if there is no supply, doesn't matter how good the defenders are if there is no supply cut off.

Jamie standing there waiting for supply, there is none as it was taken away with a stroke of a pen.

Antonis and Ugarkovic are seasoned players from a defensive counter mindset and not a high press possession game and might not fit in at all.

The mid field is where the game is won and MC has none.

Let's see what happens when Arslan and Leckie are on the pitch but until then don't expect much from this list.

Wow welcome back!

24 minutes ago, playmaker said:

Yeah let's blame Rado for CFG raping the MC team of Floran, Van der ven, O'Neil, Barisha, Jordan and Tulio. Why MC is rubbish is in plain sight. Ange couldn't even manage this disaster of a list.

The midfield is where the game is won and MC has none.

Our For-Against is 1-8, the last few seasons it was almost the opposite; as you've identified, our problem is in all three lines, and all we can successfully manage are low-pressure/low-value possession passes. Half our passes last night were back passes