Melbourne Football

The Tolgay Arslan thread

jw1739

Welcome back everyone. I thought the Forum had really died this time. But not so.

But the club...?  Four visa players walk away from contracts in two seasons? I maintain that there is something radically wrong down there at Casey Fields. Players simply don't want to play for MCFC.

13 minutes ago, citypool said:

...Why would you get a membership next season? 

To my knowledge none of our gang have renewed our City Blue memberships yet. We're considering going to GA, and waiting for a decent squad to materialise before doing even that.

7 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Welcome back everyone. I thought the Forum had really died this time. But not so.

But the club...?  Four visa players walk away from contracts in two seasons? I maintain that there is something radically wrong down there at Casey Fields. Players simply don't want to play for MCFC.

To my knowledge none of our gang have renewed our City Blue memberships yet. We're considering going to GA, and waiting for a decent squad to materialise before doing even that.

Just said to the lass we'll get city GA as well. We'd get premium if it things were better 

• Like 1

When 10 players depart the squad (that's the tally now) ...it really tests the resolve of the kind of fan who came here for Melbourne Heart and has really no time for CFG / no interest in Manchester City.....

• Like 3

It really sets up a repeat of last season with major player turnover and team cohesion and culture issues. There's also an opportunity there, for the same reason. I understand that team success is usually cyclical without an enduring strong culture of success, I don't think that we have that yet

27 minutes ago, haz said:

I've already downgraded to GA for this season, but I reckon I might drop out completely if this clubs keeps going the way its going. 

I agree. Club needs to start giving more information to members. (Hahaha - don't hold your breath).

All very well for broad generalisation statements from APL https://aleagues.com.au/news/a-league-news-apl-chair-stephen-conroy-statement-to-fans/ but clubs need to be open and up front as to why these departures are occurring.

We could of course ask whether the trimming includes the following list of APL Executives...

Emma Burrows                                     General Counsel

Ned Negus                                            Chief Commercial Officer

Sam Cupitt                                           Line Producer

Paul Meltz                                            Original Content Head

Trent McClenahan                                Football Operations Head

Michael Tang                                       Strategy Digital Director

Sam Morgan                                         Head of Sales

Damaris Treasure                                 Director, Strategic Communications

David Weiner                                       Director, Content

Danielle Howe                                      Head of People & Culture

Matthew Ellenby                                  Public Relations Head of Media

Damien de Bohun                                 Head

Emilia Skopal                                       Manager – Women’s Professional Game

Adam Mark                                          Manager – Match Day Operations

Tim Hodge                                           Product Manager

Richard Leaver                                     Manager, Media Operations and Archive

Angela Colless                                     Manager, Inclusion, Diversity and Engagement

Maryanne Di Biasi                               Manager, Finance

Naveen Daniel                                      Technical Operations Manager/Engineer

Roger Bryant                                        Operations Head of Content

Christopher Schimizzi                          Head of Strategy

Kate Green                                            Licensing and Merchandise Head

2 hours ago, CityWildcat said:

When 10 players depart the squad (that's the tally now) ...it really tests the resolve of the kind of fan who came here for Melbourne Heart and has really no time for CFG / no interest in Manchester City.....

I've more or less checked out sadly

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

I agree. Club needs to start giving more information to members. (Hahaha - don't hold your breath).

All very well for broad generalisation statements from APL https://aleagues.com.au/news/a-league-news-apl-chair-stephen-conroy-statement-to-fans/ but clubs need to be open and up front as to why these departures are occurring.

We could of course ask whether the trimming includes the following list of APL Executives...

Emma Burrows                                     General Counsel

Ned Negus                                            Chief Commercial Officer

Sam Cupitt                                           Line Producer

Paul Meltz                                            Original Content Head

Trent McClenahan                                Football Operations Head

Michael Tang                                       Strategy Digital Director

Sam Morgan                                         Head of Sales

Damaris Treasure                                 Director, Strategic Communications

David Weiner                                       Director, Content

Danielle Howe                                      Head of People & Culture

Matthew Ellenby                                  Public Relations Head of Media

Damien de Bohun                                 Head

Emilia Skopal                                       Manager – Women’s Professional Game

Adam Mark                                          Manager – Match Day Operations

Tim Hodge                                           Product Manager

Richard Leaver                                     Manager, Media Operations and Archive

Angela Colless                                     Manager, Inclusion, Diversity and Engagement

Maryanne Di Biasi                               Manager, Finance

Naveen Daniel                                      Technical Operations Manager/Engineer

Roger Bryant                                        Operations Head of Content

Christopher Schimizzi                          Head of Strategy

Kate Green                                            Licensing and Merchandise Head

Crikey. Didn't think I was ever going to reach the end of your list. What on earth do some of those titles even mean AND where is there any evidence of product from them?

1 minute ago, mjake1234 said:

Crikey. Didn't think I was ever going to reach the end of your list. What on earth do some of those titles even mean AND where is there any evidence of product from them?

The only one who connects with us is Ryan in membership, bless his socks. He always comes over as a genuine fan, and a genuine person.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, mjake1234 said:

I've sent the list to FSAA and asked for comment. Of course if we had a City FRG that had got around to working out its terms of reference after one year on the job, maybe we could ask the question there...

2 hours ago, NuggetsMcGreggor said:

He’s going to Schalke apparently. 

https://www.rheinische-anzeigenblaetter.de/c-sport/tolgay-arslan-vor-wechsel-zu-schalke-04_a319468

Rumors suggest that experienced midfielder Tolgay Arslan is about to move to FC Schalke 04. The 33-year-old former German U21 international was only left without a club today after terminating his contract with Melbourne City for family reasons. Australian media have already reported an imminent return to Germany.

Arslan, who is at home in attacking midfield, has already played for renowned clubs such as Udinese, Fenerbahçe and Hamburger SV in his career. In his last season at Melbourne City, he showed impressive performances with 14 goals and 7 assists in 30 games.

Insider reports indicate that Schalke 04 and Arslan have been in contact for several weeks. The talks are said to have been constructive. With his experience and creativity, Arslan would be a valuable addition to the Schalke 04 team.

Interestingly, Arslan is also said to be in talks with Karlsruher SC. Nevertheless, Schalke 04 currently seems to be the favored target club.

Further details and an official confirmation are still pending.

7 hours ago, jw1739 said:

https://www.rheinische-anzeigenblaetter.de/c-sport/tolgay-arslan-vor-wechsel-zu-schalke-04_a319468

Rumors suggest that experienced midfielder Tolgay Arslan is about to move to FC Schalke 04. The 33-year-old former German U21 international was only left without a club today after terminating his contract with Melbourne City for family reasons. Australian media have already reported an imminent return to Germany.

Arslan, who is at home in attacking midfield, has already played for renowned clubs such as Udinese, Fenerbahçe and Hamburger SV in his career. In his last season at Melbourne City, he showed impressive performances with 14 goals and 7 assists in 30 games.

Insider reports indicate that Schalke 04 and Arslan have been in contact for several weeks. The talks are said to have been constructive. With his experience and creativity, Arslan would be a valuable addition to the Schalke 04 team.

Interestingly, Arslan is also said to be in talks with Karlsruher SC. Nevertheless, Schalke 04 currently seems to be the favored target club.

Further details and an official confirmation are still pending.

what a farce.  if true i just wonder why the club couldn't stand it's ground for once for fuck sake.  the guy has sale value at the very least given the performances last season.  

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, mattyh001 said:

what a farce.  if true i just wonder why the club couldn't stand it's ground for once for fuck sake.  the guy has sale value at the very least given the performances last season.  

The way the announcement is worded it does appear that we let him go and no transfer fee is involved. That just seems very poor business.

• Like 1

When you look at the departures, both players and staff (just the ones we know about), since the end of 2022-23, the club appears pretty much a basket case - as evidenced by our poor season in 2023-24.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Well, well, well. Is Arslan the first player to actually be quoted "spilling the beans" on City?

It’s unbelievable that Petrillo can remain seated. He literally only peaked as we outspend the league during the COVID years. He’s gotta go.

• Like 2

Good on him; he was promised things (possibly something as outrageous as a competitive team list at the start of pre-season rather than signings arriving unfit the week before the season starts), and they weren't provided, so he left. Presumably he had that option in his contract

11 hours ago, belaguttman said:

Good on him; he was promised things (possibly something as outrageous as a competitive team list at the start of pre-season rather than signings arriving unfit the week before the season starts), and they weren't provided, so he left. Presumably he had that option in his contract

Goodness, that's a bit harsh isn't it? It's 22nd July and the season doesn't start until mid-October? I'm down on the club too, but you can hardly criticise "late arrivals" at this stage.

3 hours ago, fensaddler said:

I suspect the issue was far more about transition to coaching and post playing opportunities.  Anyway, I guess he's more than good enough for the J League. Shame to lose him but hope he does well.

I think this is case, still not a good look as such a pathway is always seen as an incentive to join the CFG.

4 hours ago, fensaddler said:

I suspect the issue was far more about transition to coaching and post playing opportunities.  Anyway, I guess he's more than good enough for the J League. Shame to lose him but hope he does well.

While that my be so, it is surely not a good look for our club when four visa players have walked out on contracts in two seasons. I would think that players would talk amongst themselves, and it's hardly a recommendation for the club as a destination.

Early days, but so far we've managed one visa signing - from Siberia....

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

While that my be so, it is surely not a good look for our club when four visa players have walked out on contracts in two seasons. I would think that players would talk amongst themselves, and it's hardly a recommendation for the club as a destination.

Early days, but so far we've managed one visa signing - from Siberia....

Yes, we're preferable to a gulag, at least.

• Haha 2

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/exmelbourne-city-playmaker-tolgay-arslan-joins-japanese-club-sanfreece-hiroshima/news-story/e51d4bae8fbb5c1b4741e485e8608506

However, it’s believed City’s failure to fulfil its promise of offering him an extension to his contract – which wasn’t due to expire until next year – on the same terms as his existing deal, was a major reason for the A-League All-Stars representative’s departure.

• Sad 1