Melbourne Football

THE FINAL! Wednesday 30 November 7:30pm

Dylan

I'm extremely pleased to say that I was wrong and proud of the team.

Positives:

Effort and application and passion from the first minute until the last second.

Clean sheet and against SFC too, well done to the whole team

Good performances all over the park, particularly Colazo, Jacobsen

Cahill, who else in a big game

Arnold's face at the end of the game, his MCFC job interview hadn't gone well.

18k+ crowd and it sounded like it

Seagull rescue

Negatives:

JVS survives for the season now

Cahill's injury, why on earth didn't that even warrant a yellow card?

The challenge will come in the next 2 games, the inevitable poor game after a good game when we play Roar on Saturday and then an away game to Sydney who will want revenge. 2 loses would really stall our momentum.

OTOH lets go for the treble this season

• Like 2

Fabulous evening. Great game, big and boisterous crowd (numbers a little below expectation I thought), superb team performance from the City boys all over the park, and deserved winners in the end. A watershed moment for the club. We're on our way now!

My MOTM has to be Nico Colazo.

• Like 3

Our backline held up very well tonight. Colazo looks right at home there and brings a bucket load of class.

Massive night for the club. One of the few times I've been at AAMI and actually felt like I was part of something big (outside of a derby). Hard to describe but it feels like we have arrived now. 

• Like 4

Just got home and I'm still buzzing,  stunning performance but in a complete different way to what were used to.  To keep Sydney to one clear chance is a top effort.  

Everyone played a role tonight,  the back 4 were fantastic. Especially jakobsen,  I thought he would have got the medal. 

I don't care how we did it,  but we did it.  We have some silverware in the cabinet 

FINALLY!!!! What a fucking night! Thought our back 4 of Colazo, Malik, Jakobsen, Franjic were all superb. Although we did get skinned a few times in the first half, we had the midfielders dropping back and plugging in the holes very well. Hopefully this is the start of something special this year and for the future. By far the best atmosphere i've been to at a City game which doesn't involve our retarded neighbours. Brilliant night. LETS GO FOR THAT TREBLE. 

Sydney FC fall short in FFA Cup final against Melbourne City

index&t_product=DailyTelegraph&td_device=desktop
TOM SMITHIES at AAMI PARK, The Daily Telegraph
November 30, 2016 9:53pm
index&t_product=DailyTelegraph&td_device=desktop

STILL the wait for silverware goes on at Sydney FC, with AAMI Park turning into the graveyard of their ambitions.

Defeat in the FFA Cup final to Melbourne City came courtesy of a Tim Cahill header, and little more than 18 months since Sydney lost the A-League grand final at the same venue to Melbourne Victory.

Similar to that day, the visitors were second best for most of the contest, unable to contain a City side stacked to attack. If Danny Vukovic in the Sydney goal had few actual saves to make, it was still his goal under pressure for large parts of the game.

c5e90fa9ca595aa56589c3d92e76fa12?width=650Melbourne City player Tim Cahill goes up to head the winning goal.

City laid down a huge marker that they intend to fight Sydney all the way in the A-League, as well as registering their first trophy. The first repayment of the $4m spent on Cahill has quickly been made.

As an event, there was much to like — this was a proper cup final, the emotion running as freely as the sweat and the raucous crowd of 18,751 howling at every provocation. Within seconds it exploded into life, after Michael Zullo was the victim of ugly tackles from first Cahill and then Luke Brattan. Sensing his leftback was being targeted Sydney coach Graham Arnold reacted furiously, and instantly almost every player was involved in the ruckus.

Brattan was booked for the tackle, Milos Ninkovic perhaps fortunate not to get at least that for shoving Fernando Brandan to the floor. But the tone was set for the night, and the tackles came thunderously.

863e385893d83c2a26bf1476fe16d945?width=650Players came to blows early in the match. Picture: Wayne Ludbey

Sydney briefly threatened, with Rhyan Grant wriggling free in the City box but underhitting his cutback to Bobo. But City were in their stride, led by the imperious Fornaroli. The Uruguayan was scarcely containable as Sydney desperately scrambled in defence, his mesmeric ability to hold the ball and turn causing constant problems.

From Neil Kilkenny’s freekick Tim Cahill headed narrowly wide, then Fornaroli drove in a cross that Brandan skied over the bar wastefully from close range. Fornaroli beat Matt Jurman to a cross but headed wide, and Brandon ‘Neill was booked for a late tackle on City’s captain.

Ninkovic seemed dazed by the early aggression, unable to get into the game and his touch uncharacteristically heavy. He was hardly alone, with Sydney struggling to get any attacking foothold in the game. Early in the second half Josh Brillante’s header into the City box gave Alex Brosque space, but his shot lacked conviction.

352c68e7bb66e6a9eb9c5695d2395f18?width=650Tim Cahill celebrates with teammates after scoring the only goal of the match.

That was hardly a description you could level moments later when Cahill made the breakthrough. Arnold could only watch in despair as his side fell to a suckerpunch — a short corner gave Brattan the angle for a cross, and Cahill peeled away from Matt Jurman at the far post to plant a header past Danny Vukovic.

Seconds later he limped out of the contest, his work done — two chances, one goal. Sydney could find no greater cohesion having gone behind than before and Arnold took off the ineffective Filip Holosko to bring on the power of Matt Simon, and with 70 minutes gone the forward drove in a cross that Bobo headed goalward only for Michael Jakobsen to clear off the line.

In the final seconds Brosque went down under challenge from Osama Malik and appealed for a penalty, but referee Peter Green waved them away, and the game was up.

ac2dd2a41163d8ce7deab2a9d09dbc46?width=650Joshua Brillante of Sydney FC runs with the ball past Luke Brattan during the FFA Cup final.

Jakobsen by far was the best player on the pitch tonight with Colazo not too far behind him. Very happy to finally win our first bit of silverware lets hope we build from here. Great crowd, the noise in there was great tonight and credit to the Sydney fans (gimps) also didn't expect that many to come down for it. Now to go on and win the minor premiership and then that toilet seat!!

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Any of the back four could have been man of the match. Malik in particular stood out to me but by far our best defensive performance of the year.

Agree wth this. Was a great defensive effort. With Franjic now looking to be close to his former self and Colazo potentially playing left back maybe we can finally feel a sense of calm for once when our defensive line is called upon. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, InMyHeart said:

So FKN happy.
Best moment was when Bruno stood over zullo and got STUCK into him when he was on the ground!

I was sure he was just checking if he was Ok!

1 hour ago, Invaliduser said:

HI all

I havent posted since just after the takeover as I didnt want to seem like being part of this 'wave' of UK city fans imposing on your forum...

however..Ive gotten up early as often as I could and supported City (sometimes to be bemusement of the wife), and I read this forum on a daily basis.

As a Man City sesaon ticket holder, and a Melbourne City Fan, congratulations :) - enjoy it and I hope there is many more to come.

The handful of guys who come here regularly from the UK make a very positive contribution, so you'd also be more than welcome.

Edited by Shahanga
  • Like 1

Well I can't believe it. We actually won! The pre game ticket sales numbers were all very well, but the reality didn't hit home until we had to queue to get into the ground. Seemed clear to me that we thought we had the edge pace wise and were for ever looking for balls behind the Sydney defence.

I thought Cahill had scored from a Colazo set piece in the first half, Pretty rare for him to miss those but Sydney didn't take the lucky break they got, great ball in from Franjic at the "set move" corner andTimmy was Timmy. 

Fantastic to win, fantastic to be there! Worth sitting through the Aloisi era to be here now!

A few things. I thought Jacobsen was good (not alone) but once he cleared off the line and defused at least 3 other things in the second half they'd be engraving his MoM medal.

Not sure how Brillante can go in from behind with no intention of getting the ball and hack a player out of the game (&probably for several weeks) & not get a yellow.

The goal was a rehearsed move, so kudos to our coaching staff.