Melbourne Football

THE FINAL! Wednesday 30 November 7:30pm

Dylan

"This club is run like a Premier League club. I am there from 8am every morning to 3 in the afternoons....I am so impressed with what we do in the community and with the Womens' team,” he said.

"This football club, we have to win things. Now we have won something, we take this momentum, we regroup; we stay humble, and go again.

"Silverware's silverware - whether people like it or not, Melbourne City have got a trophy and it's a good platform for us now to go on. So this is definitely up there as a massive moment in my career and it's even sweeter that I scored."  - Tim Cahill,  a true legend

- See more at: http://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/article/cahill/1mqv1wcovqt0g1b3v3hgghwu65#sthash.dIyvqLyB.dpuf
Read more at http://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/article/cahill/1mqv1wcovqt0g1b3v3hgghwu65#GQ93Tgh2TzIHPRAv.99
  • Like 3

31 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

Yeah good pay isn't it!

At least he realises that when you're  on his sort of money you have to do more than kick a football.

Realistically its more like $2.15 mil a year i guess when you average it out. Either way, a good wicket.

And worth every cent.

His Timness was just quoted on Channel 9 6pm news about the win and City moving on up...and then the cameras cut to a Muscat press conference at their training....looks like he was asked about the ''noisy neighbours'' as Sir Alex Ferguson once described emerging MCFC....what did Muscat say? the sound is down on the TVs at work here....  

3 minutes ago, CityWildcat said:

His Timness was just quoted on Channel 9 6pm news about the win and City moving on up...and then the cameras cut to a Muscat press conference at their training....looks like he was asked about the ''noisy neighbours'' as Sir Alex Ferguson once described emerging MCFC....what did Muscat say? the sound is down on the TVs at work here....  

Fuck off (in a Uruguayan accent).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ecguymer said:

Doubt it will be a full house if it was at the retarded stadium of theirs. The fact that we had more attendance than last year's FFA cup shows that it was an improvement. Blame your own supporters for not making the journey in numbers.. Fuck off Arnie 

4 minutes ago, Heart_fan said:

^^ The FFA couldn't give us everything could they?? Jokes.

Great crowd and atmosphere last night. If only we could get close to that at our other matches :)

That's where it will be interesting Saturday night; prime time, massive success nationally leading in.

No better time for general masses to jump on the band wagon

11 hours ago, Jovan said:

He will definitely be told exactly how that came across. 

Just hope the local media (afl) don't beat it up. 

Press seems to have been pretty positive about, in a 'lol guess what he said when he won' kind've way.

The thing I liked most about the speech was how much more fired up he got thanking the other players and the fans after going through the obligatory mentions of the bigwigs, sponsors and cephalopods.

Edited by Kinnibari
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, malloy said:

Watching live I was certain it was a foul.

First thing I noticed was it was outside of the box. Looked live like it could go either way I thought.

Anyway we have been on the end of so many dodgy calls over the years that I truly don't care. Scum think it was a free or a penalty? What did it say in the newspaper yesterday? 

On a side note I thought Brosque carried himself well in his speech. No crapping on about being top of the table etc. Goes up a peg in my estimation.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

First thing I noticed was it was outside of the box. Looked live like it could go either way I thought.

Anyway we have been on the end of so many dodgy calls over the years that I truly don't care. Scum think it was a free or a penalty? What did it say in the newspaper yesterday? 

On a side note I thought Brosque carried himself well in his speech. No crapping on about being top of the table etc. Goes up a peg in my estimation.

I thought it was definitely outside the box. 

In regards to Brosque I thought his comment saying it wasn't a good game was a bit petty as it was like it was only a shit game because they didn't.

1 hour ago, malloy said:

Watching live I was certain it was a foul.

So did I but photo shows peter green in the perfect spot to see what was going on. The TV camera was on Brosque's side so looks like a foul. Green sees Malik's arms and how he is running and he could probably clearly see that Malik was being dragged. Plus you only need to look at a players reaction, and Brosque did nothing. A hopeful look at the 5th official and then hardly argued to Green after it. 

FWIW I actually think we have been getting the rub of the green a little. But I am worried about this conspiracy theory building in the media, which I am in no doubt is an attempt to get at the referees. I will be giving Aloisi heaps on Saturday about it since I sit behind the visitor bench, anyone who wants to join I am very willing to try and sneak them in, just get in contact with me.

11 hours ago, ecguymer said:

Jeezus, I'm sick of this 'the final was played in Melb last year" bullshit...

Different teams dickheads! If Sydney played last year, then didn't make the final and WSW hosted, I'd understand.

It's like they view Melbourne as having two teams under the same umbrella.

3 hours ago, Dylan said:

So did I but photo shows peter green in the perfect spot to see what was going on. The TV camera was on Brosque's side so looks like a foul. Green sees Malik's arms and how he is running and he could probably clearly see that Malik was being dragged. Plus you only need to look at a players reaction, and Brosque did nothing. A hopeful look at the 5th official and then hardly argued to Green after it. 

FWIW I actually think we have been getting the rub of the green a little. But I am worried about this conspiracy theory building in the media, which I am in no doubt is an attempt to get at the referees. I will be giving Aloisi heaps on Saturday about it since I sit behind the visitor bench, anyone who wants to join I am very willing to try and sneak them in, just get in contact with me.

I felt that anytime in the second half that Brandan had the ball the ref blew his whistle, and at least from where I was sitting most were not justified.

Over the course of the season I think we've probably had the (mild) rub of the green, but certainly not to the extent that all the salty fans would have you believe. Certainly didnt get it against Brisbane with Bruno getting molested and imo it went slightly against us on Wednesday. The game on Sunday and Wednesday imo were well reffed, albeit Sunday's had some soft calls you wouldnt normally see given for the two pens, but at least he was consistent. The main errors on Wednesday probably came with the issuing of cards for fouls to Wellington that we had gotten away with minutes earlier.

Tbh im more than ok with rub of the green stuff ie 50-50's whichever way it goes. A lot of it is subjective anyway; a foul to one person might not be to another based on your level of tolerance to minor contact etc. Howlers are obviously a bit harder to take but how many of them can you honestly say we've seen in our games this season. I can't think of one off of the top of my head that wasnt at very least reasonably arguable. Even the Cup goal with Brattan was impossible to tell how close Cahill was from the angles provided, whereas Evans was at least directly behind it and had the perfect view. Personally I thought it was offside, but there certainly wasnt a defining angle to prove either way. 

• Like 1

IMO over a season it usually balances out. I hate the thought of technology coming into the game to an extent that the officials are beholden to it. IMO the ref and the linesmen are part of the game. I've heard all the arguments about so much riding on a particular game etc. etc., but football is just a microcosm of life - sometimes you get the breaks and sometimes you don't. Players make mistakes, officials make mistakes, fans make mistakes - that's just what football's about and why it endures and excites the whole world over.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

IMO over a season it usually balances out. I hate the thought of technology coming into the game to an extent that the officials are beholden to it. IMO the ref and the linesmen are part of the game. I've heard all the arguments about so much riding on a particular game etc. etc., but football is just a microcosm of life - sometimes you get the breaks and sometimes you don't. Players make mistakes, officials make mistakes, fans make mistakes - that's just what football's about and why it endures and excites the whole world over.

Absolutely. I'm probably happy with goal line technology, and perhaps offside but anything after that is a waste of time and will be more trouble than its worth.

8 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Absolutely. I'm probably happy with goal line technology, and perhaps offside but anything after that is a waste of time and will be more trouble than its worth.

Goal line is a no brainer should be standard. Offsides not sure. Anything else is a no from me would just become a tv spectical and half the stuff that goes on at the ground they probably wouldn't show as to not incite the crowds. So for those that are at the ground you'd have to watch a full replay to get exactly what has happened and what decisions were made and why, not worth the hassle for me.

Easier just to blame the ref regardless if he is right or not.

2 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Goal line is a no brainer should be standard. Offsides not sure. Anything else is a no from me would just become a tv spectical and half the stuff that goes on at the ground they probably wouldn't show as to not incite the crowds. So for those that are at the ground you'd have to watch a full replay to get exactly what has happened and what decisions were made and why, not worth the hassle for me.

Easier just to blame the ref regardless if he is right or not.

Even offside becomes difficult with technology when its a limb or 50-50 type thing. I guess its the ones that are clear offside that would help, but tbh I'd be leaning towards leaving it as it is. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Young Polak said:

Mooy left wsw before they won the asian champions league

he was ignored by ange during his impeccable performance during his melbourne city tenure and missed out on asian cup silverware in 2015

Left Melbourne City before we won the ffa cup

Feels bad man.

Instead you have autists like Kamau winning medals for being shit 95% of the time

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

I don't believe it does.  That would imply that refereeing decisions are totally random or the game is fixed.  Both are not true.

In a low scoring game where titles are decide by a single win, cop a bad decision at a critical juncture in a game and it could make the season meaningless.

1 hour ago, Young Polak said:

Mooy left wsw before they won the asian champions league

he was ignored by ange during his impeccable performance during his melbourne city tenure and missed out on asian cup silverware in 2015

Left Melbourne City before we won the ffa cup

Feels bad man.

Yeah but he's going to captain Man City to their first ever Champions League win and win 3 Ballon D'Ors so I think he'll live.  Plus when he's old and done with Europe he'll come back to us and win everything

10 minutes ago, Kiro Kompiro said:

I don't believe it does.  That would imply that refereeing decisions are totally random or the game is fixed.  Both are not true.

In a low scoring game where titles are decide by a single win, cop a bad decision at a critical juncture in a game and it could make the season meaningless.

I did say "usually"...

33 minutes ago, GreenSeater said:

Yeah but he's going to captain Man City to their first ever Champions League win and win 3 Ballon D'Ors so I think he'll live.  Plus when he's old and done with Europe he'll come back to us and win everything

He will become a starting 11 for man city and win nothing

When he leaves and comes back to us they will win champions league

When he retires then we will go on to win the league and champions league

:(