Melbourne Football

Nicolas Colazo

Deviant

Colazo scored a match winning goal that was disallowed and really the only other real goal opportunity apart from Bruno. He is probably counting his days with us because he realises that our game plan is bullshit and he wants no part of it. He is probably speaking to his Boca mates and say how shit we are and how he doesn't want to spend another day here because listening to the coaches is making him dumber.

Run Nicolas, run away as fast as you can.

11 hours ago, SF33 said:

The reason last night was that the linesman got it completely wrong.

Would you be saying that he's not producing and he's not good enough if his goal last night hadn't been incorrectly disallowed? Such a fine line in this sport sometimes...

I reckon part of the disappointment of the dodgy decision is that the goal might have helped give Colazo a lift and see him play better (both in the game and other games). 

http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/a-league/teams/melbourne-city/melbourne-city-v-central-coast-mariners-nicolas-colazo-to-retain-his-spot-after-eyecatching-performance/news-story/45446b0fc5a6434577e13526d7f57ae3

Melbourne City v Central Coast Mariners: Nicolas Colazo to retain his spot after eye-catching performance

MELBOURNE City concede that marquee Nicolas Colazo needs continuity, vowing to keep him in the same position for Thursday night’s clash with Central Coast at AAMI Park.

Colazo had one of his best performances of the season last week in attack and had a goal unfairly disallowed, which interim Mike Valkanis revealed City got an apology for during the week.

Fellow Argentine Fernando Brandan could also come into the side after starting on the bench in last week’s loss at Adelaide United, with teen defender Ruon Tongyik set to be rested.

After playing left-back, midfield and left wing, former Boca Juniors star Colazo would continue in an attacking role.

“It’s something we spoke about as coaches, he played various roles and that’s why we don’t want to change too much because of a loss,’’ Valkanis said.

“We want to give players that consistency to players. Colazo is doing extremely well, it’s the next step now, in terms of him playing with that belief, freedom and penetration and playing those balls in behind that he did early on.

“He had his time out and lost a bit of form and momentum, but he’s class he’ll find it. And giving him time and consistency, he’ll get there.

“Fernando’s been fantastic, a crowd favourite. He’s missed a bit of football now. That’s a decision we have to make.

“We tried a few things out at training, when you play a 3-4-3 it gives you more attacking options, with a 4-3-3 you lose out on either a midfielder or attacker.’’

Valkanis revealed that City got a call from Football Federation Australia last week after Colazo’s goal was disallowed.

He was confident the team would get results, and said the cutting edge in attack was the only thing lacking.

“We spoke to the refs and got an apology for it, but that doesn’t really help. It was a clear goal,’’ he said.

“We’re happy with the way things went in Adelaide. I find it a but amusing, and no-one spoke about it, but Colazo’s goal was a 100 per cent goal.

“We would’ve gone in at half-time 2-1 up, no-one wants to talk about a beautiful goal and beautiful penetrating pass from Luke Brattan that beat two or three lines and a great run from Colazo.

“That would’ve been a different game against a team with their backs against their wall, who had a do-or-die game, instead of sitting back with eight or nine men.

“We’re very confident and happy with the way we’re playing.’’

IMO people should lay off Colazo. He's a marquee in that he's paid outside the salary cap, but he's on no more than $400,000. IMO he's added a lot to the team - a genuine left footer who actually knows how to hit the inswinger from a dead-ball situation. Played superbly against Sydney in the Final. If fans want to get stuck in to a particular player then get stuck into Cahill. He's on $3m for this season, yes has a few goals, but has ruined the forward line especially Bruno and his only other contribution in most matches is to chat the referee.

Edited by jw1739

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

IMO people should lay off Colazo. He's a marquee in that he's paid outside the salary cap, but he's on no more than $400,000. IMO he's added a lot to the team - a genuine left footer who actually knows how to hit the inswinger from a dead-ball situation. Played superbly against Sydney in the Final. If fans want to get stuck in to a particular player then get stuck into Cahill. He's on $3m for this season, yes has a few goals, but has ruined the forward line especially Bruno and his only other contribution in most matches is to chat the referee.

IIRC it was more like 500k; but beside that point I just dont feel he's done enough to justify a marquee position yet. No doubt he has a lethal left peg and has offered a bit from a deadball situation, but Brandan has far surpassed him on overall output so far imo. He has serious potential to start making us a real force, he just needs to start to deliver on that.
Apart from the cup final, where I agree he was brilliant, he just hasnt done enough to warrant his marquee position so far. In theory our two marquees should be far and away our best players and imo Colazo is behind at least Bruno, Jakobsen, Kilkenny, Franjic and Brandan this season. 
Fingers crossed he starts to find some sort of groove now and sets us up for a really big run towards the toilet seat.

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

So far football contribution Cahill has outperformed simply the scale on which he has scored some of his goals. Your anger should be aimed at anyone that put Cahill in that position. Then if we look at someone like Fernando compared to Colazo I'd say he has also underperformed considering that he's on marquee ages and Fernando isn't. Overall he has been underwhelming and this is coming from someone who wanted to get behind him to succeed. 

Edited by n i k o
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, bt50 said:

IIRC it was more like 500k; but beside that point I just dont feel he's done enough to justify a marquee position yet. No doubt he has a lethal left peg and has offered a bit from a deadball situation, but Brandan has far surpassed him on overall output so far imo. He has serious potential to start making us a real force, he just needs to start to deliver on that.
Apart from the cup final, where I agree he was brilliant, he just hasnt done enough to warrant his marquee position so far. In theory our two marquees should be far and away our best players and imo Colazo is behind at least Bruno, Jakobsen, Kilkenny, Franjic and Brandan this season. 
Fingers crossed he starts to find some sort of groove now and sets us up for a really big run towards the toilet seat.

I think I have repeated myself 3 times already, but Kilkenny is the heartbeat and rock in our squad. We are definitely privileged we have this guy and if he keeps going like this, maybe a recall to the Socceroos is not too far away either.

• Like 5

Colazo has obvious quality.  He doesn't shirk the contest, he can hit a set piece and score a goal, and some of his runs and passes are class, but his team mates do not generally find him or move well with him in combination. He has typically been partnered on the left with Rose and understandably this has adversely impacted his game quite a lot.  Also, I think he has also struggled in the heat as the game wears on.  He should be starting left back, and on set piece duty, and allowed to settle.  Josh Rose / Muscat to the bench as cover if he runs out of puff.  What we lose in an attacking sense playing him as LB is easily countered by not having Rose as a starter.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Torn Asunder said:

Colazo has obvious quality.  He doesn't shirk the contest, he can hit a set piece and score a goal, and some of his runs and passes are class, but his team mates do not generally find him or move well with him in combination. He has typically been partnered on the left with Rose and understandably this has adversely impacted his game quite a lot.  Also, I think he has also struggled in the heat as the game wears on.  He should be starting left back, and on set piece duty, and allowed to settle.  Josh Rose / Muscat to the bench as cover if he runs out of puff.  What we lose in an attacking sense playing him as LB is easily countered by not having Rose as a starter.

Whilst I believe he is wasted as a left back but if that means getting Rose out of the squad then yes please.

• Like 4

Problem isn't the individual,  Colazo Cahill or any of the players it's how they are being set up and what roles they have been assigned. 

On paper individually we are a 2 or 3 goal better team than anyone else in the league its just that collectively we are woeful.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Problem isn't the individual,  Colazo Cahill or any of the players it's how they are being set up and what roles they have been assigned. 

On paper individually we are a 2 or 3 goal better team than anyone else in the league its just that collectively we are woeful.

Tactics, slow build up, flooding the box are all our problems in a nutshell

The less players we have crowding the box, the more space our forwards will have and the more opportunities Colazo will have to rip the ball in.

The tactics need to be all about allowing our strikers to do their job.

20 minutes ago, Jovan said:

The problem has been the JVS version of Dutch  inspired "Total Football" which really ended up being more like "Total Chaos&Suicide" and created the counter attacking sucker punches that resulted in opposition goals. If Valkanis wants to make a name for himself he should ditch the JVS approach ASAP.

1 minute ago, HEARTinator said:

The problem has been the JVS version of Dutch  inspired "Total Football" which really ended up being more like "Total Chaos&Suicide" and created the counter attacking sucker punches that resulted in opposition goals. If Valkanis wants to make a name for himself he should ditch the JVS approach ASAP.

This. TBH I don't know why the players haven't jacked up before now and ignored the directions they've been given.

1 hour ago, Jovan said:

Bullshit, Cahill can't combine for shit and his walking around the park doesn't help either. Credit to his headers but the rest is just poor and nothing special.

We don't have the team to compensate for slackers like that.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Bullshit, Cahill can't combine for shit and his walking around the park doesn't help either. Credit to his headers but the rest is just poor and nothing special.

We don't have the team to compensate for slackers like that.

I very much agree with that but what i dont understand is why cahill isnt in the box at all times if he is still has one of the best headers in the game. Players like colazo, kamau and Brandan need to do high crosses to him.

I just dont understand 

6 minutes ago, xXCiTyZeNXx said:

I very much agree with that but what i dont understand is why cahill isnt in the box at all times if he is still has one of the best headers in the game. Players like colazo, kamau and Brandan need to do high crosses to him.

I just dont understand 

I concur with that too!

Brandan plays on the left and is right footed, I cannot recall a proper cross in the box for heading purposes.

Kamau is hit and miss, last game one good cross on Bruno and couple in the stands or too close to goal, he will accidentally put one behind the keeper one day.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

I concur with that too!

Brandan plays on the left and is right footed, I cannot recall a proper cross in the box for heading purposes.

Kamau is hit and miss, last game one good cross on Bruno and couple in the stands or too close to goal, he will accidentally put one behind the keeper one day.

Just stupid man

1 hour ago, xXCiTyZeNXx said:

Just stupid man

Happy with the win.

Thank you Timmy for another header and a tap in. I really enjoyed it when you came off, play suddenly just goes little quicker in combination (even though we didn't score).....we won have these games with 3-1 or 4-1 last year so please don't think your are it! C+ Please don't think you are worth your money, I've seen you tracking back and not losing the ball after 2 touches. We did play number  last! As we did last week but I didn't see you, please explain? Too hot for your old body but not too hot for your bank account?

I will still have to vote you as man of match coz your goals, doesn't mean I see future in you starting games.

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Happy with the win.

Thank you Timmy for another header and a tap in. I really enjoyed it when you came off, play suddenly just goes little quicker in combination (even though we didn't score).....we won have these games with 3-1 or 4-1 last year so please don't think your are it! C+ Please don't think you are worth your money, I've seen you tracking back and not losing the ball after 2 touches. We did play number  last! As we did last week but I didn't see you, please explain? Too hot for your old body but not too hot for your bank account?

I will still have to vote you as man of match coz your goals, doesn't mean I see future in you starting games.

Hey i said he should be in the box at all times and he was so im agreeing with you

27 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Happy with the win.

Yeah how dare you keep scoring goals for us Timmy.

You're one of the 3 Stooges yeah?

43 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Happy with the win.

lol this is ridiculous.

Thought Colazo's performance was strong tonight. Unlucky not to have two goals and two assists to his name.

• Like 3

• jw1739 locked this topic
  • jw1739 unlocked this topic