Melbourne Football

Nicolas Colazo

Deviant

1 hour ago, bt50 said:

Colazo lands at Melbourne City

Tim Cahill and Michael Jakobsen could be handed home debuts for Melbourne City in their FFA Cup quarter-final against Western Sydney on Wednesday.
Source: 
AAP
20 SEP 2016 - 11:06 AM  UPDATED 1 MIN AGO

Melbourne City have completed their squad for the A-League season ahead, having landed Argentinian winger Nicolas Colazo from Boca Juniors.

Colazo, 26, trained with City for the first time on Tuesday morning at AAMI Park ahead but won't play in the club's FFA Cup quarter-final with Western Sydney on Wednesday night.

City have yet to complete the paperwork surrounding the left-sided player's marquee move from Boca Juniors, which wraps up coach John van 't Schip's off-season shopping.

"We are finished with our signings, which I am very happy with. We go forward," the Dutchman said.

Colazo landed in Melbourne on Monday and will contend for round one of the A-League.

"He had the opportunity and liked the opportunity to join us in this project. We're happy," van 't Schip said.

"He's a player that can play up front, midfield and even in defence ... technically strong and a good left foot."

Colazo joins countryman Fernando Brandan, Socceroos great Tim Cahill, Danish international Michael Jakobsen and home-grown talents Bruce Kamau, Luke Brattan and Neil Kilkenny as City's major signings.

Looking at Transfer Markt http://www.transfermarkt.com/nicolas-colazo/profil/spieler/116277

he doesn't actually play up front. But player's positions don't bother JvS

city-signs-colazo_1e9x9hm454rog1bged9vq4

Melbourne City FC can announce the signing of Argentine winger Nicolas Colazo ahead of the Hyundai A-League 2016/17 season.

The left-footed attacking midfielder signs on a season-long loan deal from Argentine club Boca Juniors, joining Melbourne City as the Club’s second marquee player for the upcoming A-League season.

Born in Buenos Aires, Colazo joined Boca’s youth academy at the age of nine, making 106 appearances and scoring five goals in Argentina’s top flight since breaking into the first team in 2009.

Along with a brief loan stint at Argentine side All Boys, Colazo enjoyed a successful spell with his hometown club, winning both the Primera Division title and Copa Argentina trophy on two occasions.

Colazo, 26, arrived in Melbourne on Monday and passed his medical at the City Football Academy on Tuesday.

“Head Coach John van’t Schip said: “Nicolas will provide us with an important versatility on the left; he is able to play and transition well across attack and defence; qualities we require to further strengthen our squad and suit our style of play.”

“Given his experience in South America and the fact he is still at an age we can maximise his potential, we believe Nicolas will be a strong contributor to our squad.”

Colazo will occupy the Club’s fifth and final visa spot alongside Danish duo Thomas Sorensen and Michael Jakobsen, Uruguayan Bruno Fornaroli and fellow Argentine Fernando Brandan, and will wear the number 9 jersey.

Melbourne City FC A-League Squad (2016/17): 1. Thomas Sorensen (GK), 2. Manny Muscat, 3. Josh Rose, 4. Connor Chapman, 5. Ivan Franjic, 6. Osama Malik, 7. Corey Gameiro, 8. Neil Kilkenny, 9. Nicolas Colazo, 10. Anthony Caceres, 11. Bruce Kamau, 12. Nick Fitzgerald, 14. Daniel Arzani, 17. Tim Cahill, 18. Paulo Retre, 20. Dean Bouzanis (GK), 21. Ruon Tongyik, 22. Michael Jakobsen, 23. Bruno Fornaroli, 26. Luke Brattan, 27. Fernando Brandan, 28. Steve Kuzmanovski, 29. Braedyn Crowley (S)

S = Scholarship Player

Player Profile
Nicolas Colazo
DOB: 08/07/1990
Nationality: Argentinian
Previous clubs: Boca Juniors (Argentina), All Boys (Argentina)
Accolades: Argentine Primera Division (2011/12, 2015), Copa Argentina (2011/12, 2014/15)

- See more at: http://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/article/city-signs-colazo/4o9pwl9nm3gh1nw63itqgpj5f#sthash.3hcn4CEP.dpuf
Read more at http://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/article/city-signs-colazo/4o9pwl9nm3gh1nw63itqgpj5f#qwYQEH08Mz6wo4IJ.99

Edited by Ace1234
  • Like 2

Vickory's article isn't telling us something we don't know, but given Vickory's expertise and the fact he doesn't normally say much about a league south America signings I'd say we might have an even bigger star in the making than first impressions (particularly with regards / comparison our other South America players)

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2016/09/25/low-down-melbourne-city-recruit-colazo

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Adam Peacock meets Nicolas Colazo, who joins Melbourne City from Boca Juniors

October 14, 2016

Adam Peacock

TIM Cahill rightly has all the headlines and attention, but if Melbourne City are to achieve anything this season, he and Bruno Fornaroli need help, especially with Aaron Mooy off the scene.

Enter a man still in his prime who knows all about dealing with pressure. Argentinian Nicolas Colazo arrives in Melbourne from the famed Boca Juniors club, where he played over 100 games after graduating from their youth set up.

That means he won’t be overawed by the occasion tomorrow night as he looks to become this season’s version of Fornaroli…

(Many thanks to his wife Solange Rivas for acting as translator!)

Adam Peacock: Nicolas, welcome to Australia. Does it feel like a new home already, or a surreal adventure that you’re happy to go along with?

Colazo: Honestly, I already feel like (I’m at) home. I’m very thankful to my teammates and the people of this beautiful city who made me feel that way.

When your agent calls, he says to you: “Melbourne City in Australia are interested”. What did you Google first – Melbourne, Australia, A-League, or kangaroo?

Well, I’ve visited Australia (and Melbourne) with Boca Juniors before (in 2010), so I knew how nice it is. That’s why my first Google search was ‘Melbourne City FC’ and the A-League after that.

Tell us the story of how this move came about…

I was analysing different club offers to continue my career when my agent called and told me about the chance of becoming part of Melbourne City. And I felt instantly that was my new path. I was very excited about it from the beginning.

I’ve travelled with young kids, and I’ve had more fun cleaning a toilet. Is the plane ride with a young infant son one of the most difficult periods of your life?!

(Laughs), thank God no. It was quite easy because he fell asleep more than half plane trip, and played calm with mom and dad the other half. He is most of the time in a good mood. We are very lucky.

No doubt you were told about the professionalism of a club like Melbourne City… but what did you make of the training ground when you got there?

The training ground is amazing, it has all what a professional player needs to be always in optimal conditions. I’m very impressed with all facilities. Just to name some, the medical centre, gym, locker room, dining room and even the play room are five stars. I didn’t know it was so organised. Awesome.

Here in Australia, there’s not a stack of external pressure on players to perform. From Boca Juniors, do you have a good example of what type of expectation there is when playing for a club like Boca?

At Boca Juniors you must win. No matter what and how. That’s the demand of the club and the fans as well. You feel the pressure inside and outside the match. But that’s something that teaches you a lot. I’m thankful for that experience, I really enjoyed it.

What was the realisation like that you had to leave Boca – where’d you’d been since nine years old! – to further your football life? It’s harsh, but it’s football…

It was not so hard, because this profession is about that too. I was prepared to make a change and I did.

Do you have any good Maradona stories… or one that can be printed?! We’ve seen him acting like a lunatic at Boca games (mind you, seems everyone does).

I never had the pleasure to meet Diego. I’m a big fan of him and I hope to meet him any time. Although I can tell you, I saw him in many matches on his special seat at La Bombonera, yelling crazy. He is the biggest fan of Boca Juniors.

Who is the best player you’ve played with and why?

Riquelme, Martin Palermo and (Carlos) Tevez – because of their soccer importance, and for all that I’ve learned from them, inside and outside the game.

Are you impressed with hearing what Bruno Fornaroli did last season, because you’ll be a bloody hero if you can do what he did in his debut season?

Bruno Fornaroli is just a brilliant player. With just one year he became the biggest scorer of the league and he is a great captain. I would be pleased doing a little part of what he did last season! If it is more, it would be cool for the club!

Tim Cahill, he’s our big star, how have you found him?

Tim is the biggest soccer idol here in Australia. He’s an excellent partner and he has a winning kind of mind. It’s an honour to train and play with him. He has a wonderful head shot!

What has to happen for this to be a good time for you in Melbourne?

To win a title would be very important to me.

This Saturday night will be special at Etihad Stadium, but you know about dealing with a big atmosphere, perhaps the biggest there is?

Sure, I’ve felt the best atmosphere every Boca vs River. La Bombonera definitely trembles with the support of the fans. I was very lucky being there.

In that regard, what are you expectations then for the Melbourne Derby.

It’s my first match in a derby, and I feel that will feel very similar. I can’t wait to get out to the pitch. I hope to see there all Melbourne City fans supporting us!

Wish you all the best mate, and look forward to seeing you out there on Saturday.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/football/adam-peacock-meets-nicolas-colazo-who-joins-melbourne-city-from-boca-juniors/news-story/3dfce7e81ad0734f11fe15076c0b3d46

• Like 2

10 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Easy enough to contract during air travel these days. Quite a few of my friends who make the journey to the U.K and back suffer this way, some quite severely.

Think a few questions of his wife need to asked.

From experience. 

• jw1739 locked this topic
  • jw1739 unlocked this topic