Melbourne Football

Marco Tilio

Shahanga

I do hope he fares better than Arzani..... the SPL may be average overall, but Celtic is a genuinely huge club (I worked in Glasgow for five years) and it's a miniscule fee they have paid by their standards.  He won't be strolling straight into the 11.  I also hope that Kewell's job security there is not integral to his future success....

17 hours ago, CityWildcat said:

I do hope he fares better than Arzani..... the SPL may be average overall, but Celtic is a genuinely huge club (I worked in Glasgow for five years) and it's a miniscule fee they have paid by their standards.  He won't be strolling straight into the 11.  I also hope that Kewell's job security there is not integral to his future success....

Read somewhere which made a good point Arzani was 'dumped' at Celtic whereas they've gone and signed Tilio themselves so actually wanted him

• 4 months later...

Daniel Arzani is the perfect example of a talented young player receiving poor advice and ultimately making several career-limiting decisions (or having them made for him).

Whatever his engine size or attitudes, properly advised and managed he could have done a lot better than he has done. And he's not alone, unfortunately. Sport is a good servant but a cruel master.

3 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Daniel Arzani is the perfect example of a talented young player receiving poor advice and ultimately making several career-limiting decisions (or having them made for him).

Whatever his engine size or attitudes, properly advised and managed he could have done a lot better than he has done. And he's not alone, unfortunately. Sport is a good servant but a cruel master.

Tbh, I think having a poor attitude and following poor advice are somewhat correlated.

Arzani seemed to be a player who was more interested in the symptoms of success (e.g. the fame and fortune that comes with being a top player) than achieving success in his career itself. When you are focusing on the symptoms of success, you will make choices that appear to be making big steps forwards to achieving those, but which may ultimately be detrimental to achieving said career success.

If Arzani, was serious about the sucess of his career he potentially would have opted to stay in the A league for another season to continue his development and work on his deficiencies.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I said to my mate when he was leaving that I could almost see a repeat of Arzani in a way. Definitely should have followed in Bos's and O'Neil footsteps at a club he would actually be in the starting 11. Even somewhere like Hearts with Atkinson but Celtic I feel wasn't the right move at this stage of his career. I genuinely hope it works out for him because unlike Arzani he wasn't a complete fucking twat!

It always looked like a move that he would struggle to get great Gametime, although there are better teams in Europe. Celtic is one of the hardest to break into cause they never lose and need to change the team.

I also don't think it was a terrible move though, like Arzani it would be hard for when a team of that stature comes calling to knock them back and say nah I'll go somewhere worse, you take the opportunity when it comes. 

If we can get him back for 6 months give him some gametime, and hopefully he will be better equipped to go back and have another shot at it 

Edited by neio
  • Like 1

On 31/12/2023 at 11:34 AM, neio said:

It always looked like a move that he would struggle to get great Gametime, although there are better teams in Europe. Celtic is one of the hardest to break into cause they never lose and need to change the team.

I also don't think it was a terrible move though, like Arzani it would be hard for when a team of that stature comes calling to knock them back and say nah I'll go somewhere worse, you take the opportunity when it comes. 

If we can get him back for 6 months give him some gametime, and hopefully he will be better equipped to go back and have another shot at it 

Somewhere worse? I rate the SNL just above the A-League. Neither Celtic nor Rangers are feeder clubs to bigger clubs. They are dead ends. I recall last season when Ange was coaching Celtic and someone pointed out yet again that the easybeats of the Champions League were Celtic and Rangers. Even the Ukrainian team was better and they are a country at war for fighting for survival.

I get it if a big club comes a knocking and you want the money. But if Tilio's intentions were to improve his long term career prospects then he needed better advisers.

Ouch, that's a bit harsh isn't it? Celtic won the European Cup(forerunner of the CL) in 1967. The population of Scotland only just exceeds that of Melbourne. Only 6 English clubs have won it. Liverpool (6), ManU (3),  ManC (1), Chelsea(2), Forest(2) and Villa(1.)

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Ouch, that's a bit harsh isn't it? Celtic won the European Cup(forerunner of the CL) in 1967. The population of Scotland only just exceeds that of Melbourne. Only 6 English clubs have won it. Liverpool (6), ManU (3),  ManC (1), Chelsea(2), Forest(2) and Villa(1.)

1967? Iron Butterfly had just formed and did not even have a record contract. Players were mostly amateur with real full time jobs. And it still does not counter the fact that the SNL does not produce players for bigger clubs. And outside of Celtic & Rangers the remaining clubs could just slide into the same table positions in the A-League. Hence Tilio made a poor decision.

15 hours ago, NewConvert said:

1967? Iron Butterfly had just formed and did not even have a record contract. Players were mostly amateur with real full time jobs. And it still does not counter the fact that the SNL does not produce players for bigger clubs. And outside of Celtic & Rangers the remaining clubs could just slide into the same table positions in the A-League. Hence Tilio made a poor decision.

If you use that argument, then the only trophies of any worth are those won now. Celtic won in 1967 against clubs of the time, and therefore in my mind that success is equal to anything in the same competition both before and after.

And I am no fan whatsoever of Celtic. I hold my view for all successes, football or not.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jw1739 said:

If you use that argument, then the only trophies of any worth are those won now. Celtic won in 1967 against clubs of the time, and therefore in my mind that success is equal to anything in the same competition both before and after.

And I am no fan whatsoever of Celtic. I hold my view for all successes, football or not.

Wasn't referring to trophies won now. Was referring as to how long ago it was. Most people on this forum would not have a clue who Iron Butterfly were nor why they are important.

3 hours ago, NewConvert said:

Wasn't referring to trophies won now. Was referring as to how long ago it was. Most people on this forum would not have a clue who Iron Butterfly were nor why they are important.

Count me in.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Count me in.

Iron Butterfly which had the 16 minute single In Da Gaaden Da Vida is considered the first heavy metal/hard rock album. No Iron Butterfly, no Deep Purple, no Ozzie Osbourne (and others in that genre).

An alternative measure is that was at least 5 generations ago.

2 hours ago, NewConvert said:

Iron Butterfly which had the 16 minute single In Da Gaaden Da Vida is considered the first heavy metal/hard rock album. No Iron Butterfly, no Deep Purple, no Ozzie Osbourne (and others in that genre).

Born in 67 so I know that's ancient! The point is that Tilio should have looked at a club where he'd have more of a chance of first team football. I mean he had Arzani as a template on what could happen at Celtic although by the same thinking Rogic was also a positive example. I just felt at the time it wasn't a great fit as he's more Arzani than Rogic

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NewConvert said:

Hahaha - never heard of any of the above...!! BTW, isn't a generation 21 years?

3 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Hahaha - never heard of any of the above...!! BTW, isn't a generation 21 years?

I hope you would have heard of the terms hard rock & heavy metal!

Last time I had checked a generation was 7 years then increased to 9 years. A web search now has a generation anywhere between 15 to 21 years - so depending on that score there are approximately between 2.5 through to 4 generations.