Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

Terry's Chelsea departure could spark calls for A-League bids

February 1, 2016

Michael Lynch

John Terry's likely departure from Chelsea at the end of the season has sparked a wave of speculation about where he might spend the remaining days of his career, with the A-League being touted as a possible port of call for the former Blues and England skipper.

While most pundits predict Terry is more likely to follow several superannuated Premier League stars such as Steven Gerrard and Frank Lampard to the United States' Major League Soccer, the A-League is at least on the radar.

Terry will not, of course, be short of options, and it is not inconceivable that other Premier League teams could come in for him. After all, Lampard moved to Manchester City and enjoyed a controversial spell at the Etihad before moving to City's American affiliate, New York City.

Alternatively, he could try to broaden the mind by living and playing in continental Europe, although the history of English players moving to Spain, France or Italy and succeeding is not great.

Bookmakers William Hill were the first to announce a market of possible A-League options for Terry, with Sydney rated favourites at $3.00 to make a bid for the Chelsea legend, Melbourne City, owned by the City Football Group, on the next line of betting at $3.50 and Melbourne Victory priced at $4.00.

The A-League has been criticised this season for a lack of glamour marquee players. Glamour is not exactly a word that springs to mind where the playing style of Terry - a tough, uncompromising central defender - is concerned. 

But there is no doubt he would deliver a large dollop of Premier League stardust should he opt for a spell down under in the twilight of his career.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/soccer-terrys-chelsea-departure-could-spark-calls-for-aleague-bids-20160201-gmiysz.html

Wanderers' Foreign Dilemma 

By The Secret Agent

1 February 2016

The Wanderers have rebooted their brand of eye-catching football this season, but marquee man Federico Piovaccari is on the main freeway out of Western Sydney.

While Piovaccari has been disappointing, the four other foreign players have been exceptional and the club wants to keep them.

That's the problem!

In a league governed by a salary cap, the Wanderers are going to have a battle to keep the three Spaniards and Romeo Castelen.

We can reveal that Perth Glory FC, Melbourne City, Melbourne Victory and Central Coast Mariners FC have all spoken to representatives of Dimas Delgado, Alberto Aguilar, Andreu Guerao and Romeo Castelen.

It will be interesting to see how the cap fits for the four foreign legion.

http://www.sportingnews.com/list/4693305-the-secret-agent-socceroos-star-set-for-move-to-china-robbie-kruse/slide/433707

This makes me irrationally angry. If we don't sign someone, we will have gone backwards I reckon, especially if Paartalu leaves. A marquee midfielder or a defender is now a priority but we seem to be content with a third-placed squad minus a starting XI player heading into the final part of the season. 

3 minutes ago, Harrison said:

This makes me irrationally angry. If we don't sign someone, we will have gone backwards I reckon, especially if Paartalu leaves. A marquee midfielder or a defender is now a priority but we seem to be content with a third-placed squad minus a starting XI player heading into the final part of the season. 

No Harrison. A 3rd place squad is what we HAD. We have 2 hours to bring someone in or our squad will have gone backwards and 3rd is a distant memory.

Just trying to think of the reasoning of all this if Paartalu news is true.

Perhaps they were preparing all along for this and hence the priority to get Malik.

Perhaps JvS thinks we have enough depth to cover Paartalu loss as well.

If so, he's a dickhead.

Imo we needed a gun in as soon as we let Koren go. Absolute no-brainer now.

1 minute ago, rass said:

Just trying to think of the reasoning of all this if Paartalu news is true.

Perhaps they were preparing all along for this and hence the priority to get Malik.

Perhaps JvS thinks we have enough depth to cover Paartalu loss as well.

If so, he's a dickhead.

Imo we needed a gun in as soon as we let Koren go. Absolute no-brainer now.

Well apparently by what's been reported Paartalu started to look for overseas options after he was dropped for the FFA cup semifinal. Following this he worked his way back into the starting eleven but with that in mind I question what his true motivation would be. It'd be interesting to know whether his motivation was to prove himself for JVS or for his own gain at the end to get an offer from another club. 

17 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Well apparently by what's been reported Paartalu started to look for overseas options after he was dropped for the FFA cup semifinal. Following this he worked his way back into the starting eleven but with that in mind I question what his true motivation would be. It'd be interesting to know whether his motivation was to prove himself for JVS or for his own gain at the end to get an offer from another club. 

I don't really care about players motivation (get a new contract, find a me club, play international football etc), the main thing is they are motivated.

9 minutes ago, Jovan said:

So apart from one article is there any other corresponding material to confirm Paartalu move.

We might be just jumping at shadows. 

Yeah with you on this one. Might be just the rumour mill.

Heres hoping.

• jw1739 pinned this topic