Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

5 minutes ago, Dylan said:

Wassnt that article just saying Paartalu is moving to the same club wilkinson was at?

3 minutes ago, Kinnibari said:

That was my understanding from the deadline day broadcast too.

Paartalu reportedly signed a two year contract worth $1million. 

Yes that was the report on the Fox Sports Deadline Show that started at 9:30am EDST.

They were "confirming" it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, possiblygeorge said:

With the window closed we can sign uncontracted players i.e. Vidic. Woooo

You must read that book, 'The Secret ' or whatever it's called. 

If you wish for something long enough, and keep saying it over and over, it'll come true eventually. ..

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, rass said:

You must read that book, 'The Secret ' or whatever it's called. 

If you wish for something long enough, and keep saying it over and over, it'll come true eventually. ..

Could also be said for the Samaras worshipers or those that thought Koren would come good. 

32 minutes ago, InMyHeart said:

Get YAYA toure as the DM replacement for next season

Depends on if he's still ambitious and still wants to play in a top European league or if he just wants to have a generous wage till he retires. But he'll probably go to New York instead of Melbourne if that's the case.

2 minutes ago, hakz7 said:

Depends on if he's still ambitious and still wants to play in a top European league or if he just wants to have a generous wage till he retires. But he'll probably go to New York instead of Melbourne if that's the case.

New York will have to get rid of lampard villa or Pirlo then

If we bring in Wilkinson i'll be a very happy man, Paartalu was a valuable asset, not everyone's favorite player but he did his job well and was also the clubs biggest aerial threat in the box. If this cap space could allow us to sign Wilkinson I'd be over the moon, honestly think he'd be the best CB in the league and would strengthen up the weakest position in our team, should really allow us to push on for the title.

Paartalu leaving for a CB would also really help with our squad balance, if we had of signed Wilkinson we would have had Wilkinson, Hughes, Chapman, Malik, Kisnorbo (plus Melling & Clisby) I understand we'd be trying to strengthen our weakest area but in a league with squad restrictions that's just to many players in the one position. With Paartalu leaving Malik could then play in arguably his strongest position as a defensive midfielder. I honestly think Malik will be a better DM then Paartulu as well so we'd improve our midfield, defense and depth in the one move.

We still have a marquee and or visa spot as well as a guest position, if we want the title we can genuinely take.

15 minutes ago, Jozzy said:

If we bring in Wilkinson i'll be a very happy man, Paartalu was a valuable asset, not everyone's favorite player but he did his job well and was also the clubs biggest aerial threat in the box. If this cap space could allow us to sign Wilkinson I'd be over the moon, honestly think he'd be the best CB in the league and would strengthen up the weakest position in our team, should really allow us to push on for the title.

Paartalu leaving for a CB would also really help with our squad balance, if we had of signed Wilkinson we would have had Wilkinson, Hughes, Chapman, Malik, Kisnorbo (plus Melling & Clisby) I understand we'd be trying to strengthen our weakest area but in a league with squad restrictions that's just to many players in the one position. With Paartalu leaving Malik could then play in arguably his strongest position as a defensive midfielder. I honestly think Malik will be a better DM then Paartulu as well so we'd improve our midfield, defense and depth in the one move.

We still have a marquee and or visa spot as well as a guest position, if we want the title we can genuinely take.

Munn said in one of the FRG meetings that their aim was to have 2 players/position so that there was competition. At the beginning of the season the club played a 4-3-3 formation meaning that the club should have had 8 defenders, instead they began the season with 6 and three of them were injured (Hughes, Franjic and Zullo). Now that we are playing 3-5-2 we only require 6 defenders. It seriously confuses me as to why we didn't start with a 3-5-2 then.

Anyhow we still require more defensive players.

27 minutes ago, NewConvert said:

Munn said in one of the FRG meetings that their aim was to have 2 players/position so that there was competition. At the beginning of the season the club played a 4-3-3 formation meaning that the club should have had 8 defenders, instead they began the season with 6 and three of them were injured (Hughes, Franjic and Zullo). Now that we are playing 3-5-2 we only require 6 defenders. It seriously confuses me as to why we didn't start with a 3-5-2 then.

Anyhow we still require more defensive players.

If you have 3 at the back they are all effectively centre backs. Zullo and Franjic don't count, so now we have 3 positions and just 4 players.

2 of those have been injured for most of the season, hence why we are playing midfielders like Melling there and the versatile Malik. Really we should have 2 more central defenders in this squad. I don't think "paper thin" covers it, we are so poorly stocked.

Interesting sentence here in the media reports about Paartalu's release:

The club hopes to replace the former Brisbane championship winner before the window closes at midnight (AEDT).

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/soccer/melbourne-city/aleague-transfer-deadline-melbourne-city-paart-ways-with-erik-paartalu-20160202-gmjqqu.html

As long as it's not a last-minute signing, I guess that's good news.

Although it wouldn't surprised me if the club went after a free agent and announced the signing in a few days or a week.

As long as the club strengthens the team very soon the release of Paartalu makes sense. If the club doesn't do some more recruitment however I'm skeptical that the club's recruited enough quality to compensate for disrupting the squad so much with 5 players being released this January transfer window.

• Like 2

One more time... players who are out of contract and do not have a club can be signed outside of the transfer window if they are unattached free agents when the window closes.

For example, Paartalu has been released by City before the end of the current window. He can sign for his new club at any time now - does not have to be today. 

Melbourne City and Melbourne City fight to bring out of contract Socceroo Alex Wilkinson to A-League

3 February 2016

David Davutovic

A MELBOURNE war has broken out for the signature of Socceroos defender Alex Wilkinson, although an Asian move remains an outside chance.

Melbourne yesterday pitched an offer to uncontracted Wilkinson after the exit of midfielder Erik Paartalu was confirmed, while Melbourne Victory had also made a late play.

Wilkinson, 31, quit South Korean champions Jeonbuk Hyundai Motors — where Paartalu has coincidentally just signed — last December after three seasons there and was leaning towards an Asian move with A-League clubs showing lukewarm interest.

But injuries, shock moves and the end of the A-League transfer window, which closed at midnight last night, has resulted in sudden, late interest.

Free agents such can sign for clubs at any time, but no Aussies of Wilkinson’s calibre are left, meaning he’s hot property.

Wilkinson is open to a short-term deal until the end of the season, for around $100,000, or an 18-month deal totalling just over $450,000.

City have the salary cap and squad room to fit Wilkinson in, while Victory would need to sign him as an injury-replacement for Carl Valeri. But Victory has the Asian Champions League carrot to dangle.

Wilkinson is not a straight replacement for defensive midfielder Paartalu, but City coach John van’t Schip is concerned with Patrick Kisnorbo (achilles) out for a week, Aaron Hughes (soreness) missing last week and Connor Chapman (knee) out for at least another month.

However recent swap signing Osama Malik, who came from Adelaide United for Stefan Mauk, is likely to be pushed into midfield while Jacob Melling, who’s been deployed as a stopper in recent weeks, is naturally a midfielder.

As revealed by the Herald Sun yesterday, Paartalu was released to join Jeonbuk.

“Melbourne City can announce midfielder Erik Paartalu has been released to pursue an opportunity in South Korea’s K-League,’’ City said in a statement.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/a-league/melbourne-city-and-melbourne-city-fight-to-bring-out-of-contract-socceroo-alex-wilkinson-to-aleague/news-story/57e6b2899f3f31e66ae637557ad0c79a

• jw1739 pinned this topic