Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

Look at the bright side: the Visit0rs released a player at the start of his career in a fit of pique, now he's worth $2M for a half-season loan, no payment to the Visit0rs😂.

Aziz gets a late-career payout,

we are without him for half a season

We are cashed up and have a visa spot.

Edited by belaguttman
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

Aziz gets a late-career payout

How? He is still on the same wages we are paying him.

8 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

We are cashed up and have a visa spot.

Salary Cap is the issue

The financial logic is that CFG have set us up to deliver a return on investment at least enough to justify their investment in the club. So like any small but well run club we develop and sell on to generate revenue. Tilio, O'Neill, Bos etc are all proof of that strategy. The fee for loaning Aziz is bigger than the sale of each of those players, and yet we retain his registration. However tough for us as fans to lose him it's a no brainer in business terms, especially given the financial strife the ALM is in. And we may well have been stiffed over Sakhi as well. So no issues. Not happy to lose him, but understand.

• Like 2

So Sakhi going and Jeggo coming in frees up a visa spot.
This is critical as getting a starting quality left back at the last minute in January will be a lot easier (or to put it another way, actually possible) if we have the whole world to choose from.  All in all it may not be a complete disaster, I guess the worst part of it is that it’s our Aziz, the club legend, who we have lost.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, jw1739 said:

@bt50 Do you think we lost money over Sakhi?

Possibly on a transfer fee, but imo its more likely the option to male permanent was more about taking on the balance of a contract Auxerre wanted to offload.

I cant see that he was so good wed have paid anything exorbitant as a transfer fee.

A mutual termination renders the ongoing contract useless.

Anyone making negative remarks for cfg being financially motivated are slightly bewildering. In this world, which owner isn't motivated financially. The backwaters of aleague football included. Any owner would consider such an offer and not just cfg. 

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Tilio's back on loan for the remainder of the season!

I take it we have the cap space of Sakhi and Behich to spend now. Does anybody know where their salaries sat, designated, marquee or normal squad allocation?

Tilio is on European pay, Jeggo might be in the designated bracket. I’ll be surprised if we bring anyone of real quality due to lack cap space. Then I again I don’t know how the departing players were allocated and if we were maxed out already.

From memory it’s 2 marquee and 2 designated players.

Edited by Mr MO

56 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

I take it we have the cap space of Sakhi and Behich to spend now. Does anybody know where their salaries sat, designated, marquee or normal squad allocation?

Tilio is on European pay, Jeggo might be in the designated bracket. I’ll be surprised if we bring anyone of real quality due to lack cap space. Then I again I don’t know how the departing players were allocated and if we were maxed out already.

Salary cap $2.6m, minimum spend allowed (stupid rule): $2.25m. There are some wild salary numbers quoted on various websites, but I doubt that we have very much cap space left. We don't know the details of the various loan deals (and IMO neither should we) and we don't know who are marquee or designated players.

Neither do we know when the Tilio and Jeggo negotiations started, although the Tilio rumour is reasonably old now. Is Jeggo post-Sakhi or pre-Sakhi?

I still think that the major problem is not the inherent quality of the players but transition speed with the ball. We play great football for 10 minutes and then go to sleep.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr MO said:

2 marquees would be Leckie and Maclaren 

Designated players were Arslan and Sakhi I believe 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

The quality that's really lacking on the pitch is on-field leadership. I don't expect that to be addressed with Tilio or Jeggo, so Sahki's visa replacement is a crucial signing for a better second half of the season.

Whatever the weakness, I suspect we address that at the end of season and not now. Reasoning is this. Behich is at present planning to come back next season, so any cover for him is likely to be a loan. No loanee is going to walk into an established dressing room and be, or be expected to be, the leader in the room or on the pitch. They can provide experience and attitude, but they won't be captain or the informal leader of the group. And I doubt we've got cap space for a permanent signing of a really big fish.

9 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

Whatever the weakness, I suspect we address that at the end of season and not now. Reasoning is this. Behich is at present planning to come back next season, so any cover for him is likely to be a loan. No loanee is going to walk into an established dressing room and be, or be expected to be, the leader in the room or on the pitch. They can provide experience and attitude, but they won't be captain or the informal leader of the group. And I doubt we've got cap space for a permanent signing of a really big fish.

Irrespective of any additional signing, Vidmar is faced with the leadership issue right now, with JMac out of form.

48 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

I know of one Full Back who I suspect could do that. Ritchie De Laet. Still playing for Royal Antwerp at age 35 in Belgium. Unfortunately currently out with a muscle. He could also play CF if you wanted to. Would be great to see him back even on loan for half the season

3 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Irrespective of any additional signing, Vidmar is faced with the leadership issue right now, with JMac out of form.

Even an in form and fit JMAC is not captian material to bring the team to another level. It played out exactly how some predicted. This was a mistake unfortunately.

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Mr MO said:

I read on a different forum that VDV actually left after a fallout with the club, he took big issue out of the fact that captain Jamieson wasn’t given any minutes in his final career game.

Didn't the same happen with Tommy Sorensen?

2 hours ago, neio said:

Would take both of them in a heartbeat, I'd struggle to see why Nisbet would leave CCM to go to another aleague club though

Same time why hasn't he signed a contract yet? City might be dangling the Europe pathway in front of him 

7 hours ago, HughJass said:

Same time why hasn't he signed a contract yet? City might be dangling the Europe pathway in front of him 

I thought it would be similar to O'Neill situation from last season, has ambitions to go to Europe. Just waiting for the right move and the season to finish before announcing anything 

13 hours ago, neio said:

Would take both of them in a heartbeat, I'd struggle to see why Nisbet would leave CCM to go to another aleague club though

It would make more sense landing Trewin as he's younger and not yet in the shop window for Europe, yet has good potential! Where as surely Nisbet has already got overseas interest and is less likely to stay in the A-League...

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, MHFC-FAN said:

It would make more sense landing Trewin as he's younger and not yet in the shop window for Europe, yet has good potential! Where as surely Nisbet has already got overseas interest and is less likely to stay in the A-League...

Depends whether our purported interest is as a player or as a business proposition for a transfer fee.

I'm getting very cynical.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Le Hack said:

There's a scout who writes in The Roar who says Nisbet is struggling to get overseas interest due to his lack of height. Suggest City probably splashed the cash and he's taken that

I think he'll be a fantastic acquisition. Quick, mobile and creative, he's exactly what we need more of.

• Like 2