Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

LOL - What is your point? 

Do you think you should be proclaimed as an oracle for being able to point out the bloody obvious... because if that is case then each of the twenty blokes who I watch City with should each receive the same praise for when they moan about Murdocca.   

I CBF arguing with you on either of these... I am not that bored and almost every other poster on here does not need convincing on the worth of Sibon in S1 and Fred in S2.

Nah, he wants another green line in the Bullshit thread.

Listen, Info@VeeDub - you're angry, we get it! We're angry too mate! Foundation member here so I've seen and experienced it all...but I come here to post crap and chat to more people who are going through the same frustration, anger, disappointment (and sometimes (rarely) jubilation) as I am...it's good therapy actually (especially for the away games). You're coming across as though you're attacking us supporters because our team has been shit and the club's personnel don't seem to be performing (and being moved on)! Voice your frustrations, but just calm down, we're all just as pissed off we got the wrong Maicon! Lol

Don't fret though, we're gonna win the league next season! :D

• Like 2

would be handy in a rotation with Paartalu, Mooy and Melling, knowing our record with injuries. But on our list of needs a central midfielder is the lowest priority. Only if he came in at a bargain price would he be worthwhile.

Agreed, if he came in at low to minimum wages and was happy to be a non-starter as default, then Bresc would be a pretty decent signing. Especially with Germano not re-signed (ATM) our midfield depth isn't too great--for example, who plays in midfield next week alongside Paartalu and Koren with Melling and Mooy out? Mauk? Retre? Bresc would be good depth, especially in important moments that probably aren't ideal for giving young players like Mauk and Retre a run (it could be said that Saturday next week is a pretty good example...at least when it comes to starting young players against Toure and Silva it's a pretty big ask).

But yes it's a very low priority signing, and there's other much more important signings we need to see happen.

Agreed, if he came in at low to minimum wages and was happy to be a non-starter as default, then Bresc would be a pretty decent signing. Especially with Germano not re-signed (ATM) our midfield depth isn't too great--for example, who plays in midfield next week alongside Paartalu and Koren with Melling and Mooy out? Mauk? Retre? Bresc would be good depth, especially in important moments that probably aren't ideal for giving young players like Mauk and Retre a run (it could be said that Saturday next week is a pretty good example...at least when it comes to starting young players against Toure and Silva it's a pretty big ask).

But yes it's a very low priority signing, and there's other much more important signings we need to see happen.

I can see that when you look at him from an experience perspective he should be OK. BUT he will be too slow during those important moments and even if he does receive possession of the ball then he will be expecting a quality player to be ready to receive the pass, in which case that is doubtful. Bresciano's time has come and gone. It is  a no for me.

• Like 1

I can see that when you look at him from an experience perspective he should be OK. BUT he will be too slow during those important moments and even if he does receive possession of the ball then he will be expecting a quality player to be ready to receive the pass, in which case that is doubtful. Bresciano's time has come and gone. It is  a no for me.

I'd say an attacking midfielder's qualities dim the least with age, when compared with other outfield players. Attacking mids don't need to be young and fit to play a killer pass and be tidy in possession. Engelaar is a good example. He was one of the slowest players to play for the club (Zadkovich was able to man-mark him out of an entire game), yet still his class and influence on a game was massive. Kewell as well is another decent example-an attacking player who still showed real glimpses of class when he was at the club.

I reckon Bresc could provide 30 to 45 minutes of A-League quality football a match, with maybe the occasional glimpse of class that surpasses the A-League, rather similar to Kewell when he played for us. However, unlike Kewell, if Bresc were to be signed I'm sure the team wouldn't be massively dependent on him by needing him to start every game, as was stupidly the case with Kewell. Instead we'd have with Bresc what we should have had with Kewell: a great Socceroo who could provide some impact off the bench, but a player who's more a of real bonus than a player the team is depending on to get results.

Though if Melbourne City is going to sign Bresc the club better come up with the goods and announce some other quality signings first. The team really needs another GK, another striker, another winger and a better option at LB before the club should consider bringing in new midfield depth.

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 1

Would be pretty fucking ridiculous if our international marquee and Australian marquee were competing for the same position :droy: 

Would be even more ridiculous when they're both beaten for that position by a 24 year old who's wages are under the cap.

• Like 5

Would be even more ridiculous when they're both beaten for that position by a 24 year old who's wages are under the cap.

It would be this coming season but not last season. Last season Mooy was an unknown quantity and Koren had high expectations placed on him. However the rise of Mooy is indicative that Australia and the club can produce and nurture talent. This coming season the expectations on Mooy will be bigger so he has to cope with the expectations but really no excuse can be given for signing a marquee that cannot displace Mooy.

According to transfermarkt hasn't played for a year and has a ruptured cruciate ligament...

Yes I know he's had a long term injury, but the season before that he effectively played a whole season at Adelaide United (24 games, 1888 minutes. For comparison, only 3 of our players played more minutes than that last season).

He's got ability, hence why he's been at an Eredivisie side for 5 years and has 10 Socceroos caps. Also he's a proper attacking full-back, and would fit into our team very nicely (he can also do a job as a left-sided midfielder and a left winger).

I'd be happy to have Zullo as our 1st LB, with Jack Clisby as cover. Also, I'm not sure there's any better Australian LBs available than Zullo, so I'd be pleased if he was signed.

• Like 5

July 12, 2015 - 5:28PM

Michael Lynch

Meanwhile, former Socceroo Mark Bresciano – who announced his retirement from the international game after the Asian Cup – is weighing up the prospect of winding up his career in the A-League as his current deal with Qatari club Al Gharafa winds down.

Bresciano has often been linked with a final season with one of his home town clubs, Melbourne City or Melbourne Victory, but the odds of that happening would appear to be lengthening.

City is understood not to be interested in signing Bresciano even though there is a vacancy for an Australian marquee player after the retirement of Josh Kennedy. 

The club has had numerous injury problems signing players in their mid-30s, and that appears to be influencing its thinking as much as anything else. Just last season it lost Kennedy and Damien Duff, the Irish international, while its marquee man Robert Koren, another thirtysomething, missed large chunks of the campaign.

Victory also has a space for an Australian marquee player with the departure of Mark Milligan, and like City would not have any financial worries.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/soccer-ronaldos-coming-to-melbourne-but-will-this-season-be-his-real-swan-song-20150712-giajme.html

Bresc is a legend but the Asian Cup showed he's well and truly past his best. 

Skill and talent wise, he'd tear up the A-League but I'm not sure his body would hold up in what is a pretty physical competition. As noted too, we have a horrendous record with ex-Socceroo over 30's so I'd rather not have him. Would crush me if he signed for the tards and did well though.

Edited by Nate
  • Like 2

As someone else said, you'd have to assume Bresc wouldn't be available every week and thus would only give you say 15 games maximum.  Would give us some cover for Mooy, Melling and Paartalu though, as unless Mauk finally delivers on his potential, the cover behind those 3 is looking a bit thin.  Although I have always felt Retre is a decent player, its still not clear that he is yet (or will ever be) good enough to be a regular starter in a team challenging for the title.  Therefore having a player good enough to come in and maintain the standard is important.

Now given Brescs glittering career, what are the odds of him wanting to play that role?  Pretty small I'd say.

Meanwhile, former Socceroo Mark Bresciano – who announced his retirement from the international game after the Asian Cup – is weighing up the prospect of winding up his career in the A-League as his current deal with Qatari club Al Gharafa winds down.

Gotta love the arrogance of Bresc here. Just assumes there is a place for him when ever he wants even if it is just to wind up (down I think is a more appropriate word) his career.

Glad we are not interested. Dont want to see another Socceroos legend spend one season at our club before they realise how much they have underestimated the A-Leauge and retire 

*edit- although looking at our past signings he is probably right to think that way

Edited by KSK_47

Gotta love the arrogance of Bresc here. Just assumes there is a place for him when ever he wants even if it is just to wind up (down I think is a more appropriate word) his career.

Glad we are not interested. Dont want to see another Socceroos legend spend one season at our club before they realise how much they have underestimated the A-Leauge and retire 

*edit- although looking at our past signings he is probably right to think that way

Agree it's sad how many of the 'Golden Generation' Socceroos have only been willing to contemplate a move to the A-League when they're on their last legs and have exhausted all other options. It is rather arrogant. IMO it would have best excellent for all parties if Bresc and Kennedy and Lucas Neill and others came to the A-League 2 or 3 years ago.

Credit to Melbourne City for not being serious about bringing another aging Socceroo to the club, and getting over their obsession with signing aging Socceroos. The club tried to actually build our team around such players, and that was never a good idea.

• Like 2

Agree it's sad how many of the 'Golden Generation' Socceroos have only been willing to contemplate a move to the A-League when they're on their last legs and have exhausted all other options. It is rather arrogant. IMO it would have best excellent for all parties if Bresc and Kennedy and Lucas Neill and others came to the A-League 2 or 3 years ago.

Credit to Melbourne City for not being serious about bringing another aging Socceroo to the club, and getting over their obsession with signing aging Socceroos. The club tried to actually build our team around such players, and that was never a good idea.

i get what you are saying but IMO regarding Bresc and co., many went at a time when they were young and had to go as the NSL was a financial mess.  they had to tough it out overseas to make a living even after the A League came around since they were never going to get both (a.) fair value for their services in Oz and (b.) squad lists / competitions around them to push them to be competitive internationally like they would against squad lists / competitions in europe.

and, to round it off, the golden generation have done more than any other than by completely putting Australia on the map due to their performances at the 2006 world cup.  

so i'm not surprised at the attitude.  doesnt mean i thoroughly agree with the players, but not surprised

every single player since that has succeeded in venturing abroad - through International representation at World Cups or through being signed (particularly where young) - is standing on the shoulders of the golden generation.  

those ho had ventured and branched out before that world cup (Jonstan, Slater, Bosnich and even Kewell) still deserve credit for doing the early ground work, but for me the pivotal moment by far was that world cup.

overall, i actually see it as a chip on the shoulder rather than arrogance.

i also take Mark Schwarzer's position on returning golden generation in that many of the earlier returners got shat on because of unrealistic expectations. how else do you expect those late returners / those who never do to react?

Edited by mattyh001
  • Like 2

"City is understood not to be interested in signing Bresciano even though there is a vacancy for an Australian marquee player after the retirement of Josh Kennedy. 

The club has had numerous injury problems signing players in their mid-30s, and that appears to be influencing its thinking as much as anything else. Just last season it lost Kennedy and Damien Duff, the Irish international, while its marquee man Robert Koren, another thirtysomething, missed large chunks of the campaign."

A positive sign.

• jw1739 pinned this topic