Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

You're as right as I am, but I couldn't disagree more. For whatever shorfalls he may have, I think the team would've been significantly worse without him.

Saying 'if he improved this area the team would've improved' is such a slippery slope. 

There is no doubt he was our best player last Season and without him we probably might not have made finals but at the same time like any player in this League there is a flaw to his game and I felt it sometimes under utilized our wings.

• Like 1

Let's face it, this was always on the cards. Mooy's choice is between being our Australian marquee for several years or going to Europe and being a bench warmer or out on loan to some shit club in a lower league. He'll be 25 before next season so he's no spring chicken. Touch-and-go whether he stays I'm afraid, but I hope he does.

25 is "no spring chicken"? 

jesus

HoM, I can only get so erect. 

I'm truly pleased with every signing so far. I can see why there have been some of the grumbles (particularly overHughes) that there have been, but with a bit of perspective, need to realise we're shaping up v. nicely for this season.

Will we have either of these guys against Man City this weekend?

If we get Zullo we should have genuinely the best defence in the league. Interesting to see how the forward areas shape up though. 

He is also another flexible player who could play on the Wing in the A-League if injuries etc required him to do so...

I want Mooy to stay for obvious reasons, but I do hope he has a crack overseas at a reasonable level. Mid-table French, German, Spanish or Dutch league would be nice.

I dont.

I want all our Australian Players to turn out to be A-League Bullies who can't make it at the next level like the Wife Beater TBH.

Edited by cadete

True. I'll just be happy to have two proper full backs in the squad. Would give us flexibility to line up with advanced wing backs and three at the back. Something JVS of old would have done. Not so much these days.

I think this is spot on.

With Franjic, Chapman, Kisnorbo, Hughes and Zullo to pick from, we now have the flexibility to switch from a default 4-3-3 to a 5-3-2 if the need arises - without having to use makeshift defenders such as Retre and Garuccio. Great flexibility without having to use bench players as starters.

I think it really is starting to take shape nicely, my only concern being that whilst I don't mind signing players who have had knee issues if they're quality, the more we sign the greater the probability that one will eventually break down. Add them to Mooy and Melling who are coming back from knee injuries, there is a risk here.

Anyone think now with the signing of Hughes that Franjic will be used as a right winger in our front 3?

Hughes, Kisnorbo, Chapman, Zullo as the back 4

then Franjic, ????, Novillo

Off the bench you got Gamerio and Koren

if they were going to go that way it'd more likely be Hughes at LB and Zullo at LW IMO.

At this point however, I do think the back 4 will line up as Franjic, Hughes, Paddy, Zullo and the front three as Gameiro, Tuna, Novillo.

• Like 1

Melbourne City v Manchester City: Jason Hoffman set to leave as A-League club’s rebuilding continues

MATT WINDLEY

JULY 15, 2015

While Hoffman was a conspicuous absentee at Melbourne Airport yesterday as City departed for the Gold Coast where it will face sister club Manchester City in a friendly on Saturday, there were several fresh faces.

Former Western Sydney midfielder Jason Trifiro, former Adelaide midfielder Cameron Watson and former Brisbane midfielder George Lambaridis are all headed north to take on the English Premier League giants.

None of the players have been given any guarantees about their futures at the club, but a spate of injuries carried over from the end of last season — to the likes of Aaron Mooy, James Brown, Jacob Melling, David Williams and Ben Garuccio — has necessitated the need for City to top up its squad for the friendly match.

Coach John van’t Schip said the Manchester showdown — the first since the club was taken over 18 months ago — would be a “great moment for our players to step out on to the pitch to play” against such opposition.

“It’s going to be an experience in the way that they will see them now, live, the touches they have and the way they play,” van’t Schip said.

“We have to give them as hard as possible a game because they want to use this game, as well, as preparation.”

Despite speculation about a possible departure from the club, Mooy did travel to the Gold Coast with his teammates.

Speaking about the club’s Australian marquee spot, left vacant by the retirement of Josh Kennedy, van’t Schip said only that “we have some solutions” available.

Asked about speculation linking the club to Uruguayan striker Bruno Fornaroli and Danish goalkeeper Thomas Sorensen, van’t Schip was also noncommittal.

“But of course we’re looking in those positions, that’s true,” he said.

“We still have some spots to fill in and hopefully we can come to a quick solution in that.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/melbourne-city-v-manchester-city-jason-hoffman-set-to-leave-as-a-league-clubs-rebuilding-continues/story-fnk6rlg0-1227443198861

• Like 1

Soccer: Its City v City, but sibling rivalry won't get out of hand

July 15, 2015

Michael Lynch

This will be a new-look Melbourne and the ambitious club, which reached the last four of the competition last year, is looking to mount a serious title tilt of its own this season. With cross-town rivals Melbourne Victory holding the trophy, City will lack for nothing in motivation.

Signings such as Socceroo full-backs Michael Zullo and Ivan Franjic are a major upgrade on the flanks, while veteran Northern Ireland centre-back Aaron Hughes will bring stability and experience to the defence.

Aaron Mooy has been linked with a potential move to Europe, but City could offer last year's player of the season an upgraded new deal and, with the retirement of former Socceroo Josh Kennedy, make Mooy the club's Australian marquee.

City has been linked with a number of targets in the transfer rumour mill – including former Danish international goalkeeper Thomas Sorensen and Uruguayan striker Bruno Fornaroli – but van 't Schip would offer no comment on Tuesday.

Having let Andrew Redmayne go to Western Sydney Wanderers, City now only have one experienced shot stopper in Tando Velaphi. Sorensen is vastly experienced, having spent 17 years in the Premier League and played more than 100 times for his country, but he has just turned 39.

Fornaroli has been something of a journeyman in a career that has taken him from his native Uruguay to periods in Italy and Greece as well as a stint in Brazil.

Asked about finding a like-for-like replacement for the tall Kennedy, whose back injuries forced him to call time on his career last month, van 't Schip said it was important to find a player who could cope with the rigours of the A-League.

"We are looking for a player who can manage the load, who can do the things that we have in mind. There are a few players that we have on target and hopefully we can get one of them in soon."

Asked to comment on Sorensen and Fornaroli, the Dutchman was short and sharp.

"We still have some spots to fill in and hopefully we can come to a quick solution in that. "

He is looking forward to his young players learning plenty from their clash with City on Saturday.

"It's an historic moment for both clubs, for us especially of course playing in Australia against our sister club. It's going to be a great moment for our players to step on the pitch and play against them.

"It's a pre-season game; we will have a lot of changes both teams. For us it's going to be the first hitout. We don't know what to expect, we just have to focus on our own team. We saw then in England last year before they went to the US, we were there together in Abu Dhabi in their winter, so this will be the third occasion that we are meeting as teams, but now on the pitch," van 't Schip said.

"It's going to be an experience for the young players: they will see their movement, the way they play, the touches they have. But we are good players ourselves, and we have to prepare ourselves in a good way and give them as hard as possible a game."

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/soccer-its-city-v-city-but-sibling-rivalry-wont-get-out-of-hand-20150715-giczhw.html

Seems like Willo has survived the cut.  Thats of course unless we find another winger who will have to be australian as there seems to be too much smoke about sorrenson joining

And that's probably the case with Williams staying at the club, more out of necessity than anything else. We have the game on Saturday plus the FFA cup game so we do need him to stay on. One could also argue that now with more attacking options available Williams would only ever be an impact or injury replacement player, which suits him best. 

And if williams is the worst we have sitting on the bench then it's not really a bad thing. 

• Like 2

I hope that the club finalises its list as soon as possible and in particular clears up the confusion and rumours that surround Hoffman, Germano, Murdocca, Fornaroli and Sorensen.

I'd like to think that there's something behind the pieces on the website about Angus Dunn and James Horsfield, but we don't have room for so many visa players.

Still struggling to see how Koren fits into our best XI, seen a lot of people say play him and Mooy as 2 #10s, but that will leave Paartalu very exposed. He needs someone like a Melling or Germano next to him to do the dirty work, similar to when he was at brisbane where he had McKay and Murdocca doing all of the pressuring, and then he would just make intercepts or pick up loose balls.

If Mooy leaves then I guess Koren would be the natural replacement

Just checked in with the Fox A-League fantasy stats from last season and for Melbourne City, Koren actually came 4th on 100 points.  Eric the Viking was 3rd with 110, Kisnorbo second with 129 and Mooy 1st with 233, with Mooy 1st in the entire competition.

I think Koren has the ability to be a match winner, however he will never be a workhorse in the team.  JVS just has to make it work and fit him and Mooy in the midfield, if he stays that is.

• jw1739 pinned this topic