Melbourne Football

Robert Koren (confirmed by club as released)

Jimmy

Possibly didn't handle the heat.

Looked nothing more than an average A League player at best - certainly not someone on big dollars paid outside the salary cap.

Even one of the Fox Sports commentators pointed out he didn't track back.

We need a marquee who makes a difference when we are winning or losing.

Another player ruined by JVS.

Really ???

I am starting to think he was average before he got here, just got a few extra pointers on how to extend his shitness. Value adding if you like.

Was the best player in the league on paper before the season started TBH.

Of course there are other factors, like most good players struggle to adapt to the lower quality of the A-league, coming back from injury, etc.

But at this point in time I'm blaming everything on JVS.

• Like 2

Really ???

I am starting to think he was average before he got here, just got a few extra pointers on how to extend his shitness. Value adding if you like.

Just a thought:

Maybe the quality of the A League has improved so that every regular EPL player can't come in and automatically dominate. 

The A League was at a significantly lower level when Harry Kewell played with Victory, and he said how tough the competition was.

Maybe the improvement in the A League might have something to do with some of Koren's underwhelming performances - plus the heat. 

They may only be practise games but Wellington Phoenix and Sydney FC both performed creditably before this season against Newcastle United and West Ham, including both defeating West Ham. 

Some years back A League clubs were destroyed by EPL teams.

Really ???

Was the best player in the league on paper before the season started TBH.

Of course there are other factors, like most good players struggle to adapt to the lower quality of the A-league, coming back from injury, etc.

But at this point in time I'm blaming everything on JVS.

Okay stick with it, i can't argue that. All I am saying is I am totally disappointed with Koren. I never saw him play in the EPL, just relied on everyones opinion, but what I have seen. He is not worthy of Marquee status, struggle to justify a visa spot and if we had any depth would struggle to make the match day squad. Just had enough.

Edited by Jovan

Just wondering if anyone knows how much he played out wide at WBA/Hull? My understanding was he was a central mid in his time at those clubs in a play maker role - from memory I can't remember him playing there once since he has been here, and that JvS has stuck him out wide in the mid or on the wing in most of his matches.

Don't know if this can be used as an excuse for how he's been going - which clearly hasn't been to create the 'household name' we were promised when he got here - but for me I am struggling to see how a player of his pedigree (he captained his country and played in a world cup FFS) can be so ineffectual and just trying to get my head around what may be contributing.

Really ???

Just a thought:

Maybe the quality of the A League has improved so that every regular EPL player can't come in and automatically dominate. 

The A League was at a significantly lower level when Harry Kewell played with Victory, and he said how tough the competition was.

Maybe the improvement in the A League might have something to do with some of Koren's underwhelming performances - plus the heat. 

They may only be practise games but Wellington Phoenix and Sydney FC both performed creditably before this season against Newcastle United and West Ham, including both defeating West Ham. 

The problem is the game in the A-League is much slower, so players coming from big European leagues usually struggle to adapt. So it's actually the opposite, they struggle because the quality is beneath them, rather than because the quality is high.

It's happened with plenty of players, eg Heskey, Kewell, Koren, even ADP at the start.

Lets not forget Villa didnt perform as well as we would have expected either.

This season we saw it took Janko a while to get going as well.

Seems players coming from the EPL struggle most though, because that's generally the fastest league. Heskey and now Koren are noteable examples of course.

Duff's performances were also questionable at times, was unable to find a team mate often because he was used to having better team mates who would find space and create an option for him to pass too.

Edited by Tesla

Really ???

Just a thought:

The problem is the game in the A-League is much slower, so players coming from big European leagues usually struggle to adapt. So it's actually the opposite, they struggle because the quality is beneath them, rather than because the quality is high.

It's happened with plenty of players, eg Heskey, Kewell, Koren, even ADP at the start.

Seems players coming from the EPL struggle most though, because that's generally the fastest league. Heskey and now Koren are noteable examples of course.

When it's 30 degrees of course the game will be at a slower pace than the EPL which is never played in those simmering conditions.

However, Harry Kewell actually said the A League is as fast as the EPL.

Have a look at last night's game between Melbourne Victory and Perth Glory.

It was played at a frantic pace most of the time.

Edited by Parrot

Koren is not worth the international marquee tag.. Very poor and has shown very little. He doesn't stand out, and doesn't offer anything different..

The only thing I will say is that it seems he is playing in 2nd gear and he hasn't completely bough into JVS game plan or tactics..

I've observed that things are not rosy between the two.

I've observed that things are not rosy between the two.

Because he has worked with top class managers and knows JVS is a dud.

Koren isn't living up to expectations, but I'm reserving my judgements until we change manager (if Koren is still around).

Has been really disappointing, I had high hopes especially after his hat trick

He doesn't look like the type of guy who can pull the team together and say follow me when things get tough like a berisha or even a Keogh does

If it gets a bit hard he goes missing

We can't drop him cause we have no one better but I'd like to see him get a run centrally

Thought his movement off the ball was poor as well. Two examples: in the first half Mooy played a direct pass to Kennedy on the edge of the box with his back to goal. Koren should have ran past so Kennedy can play a (first time) ball to him so he can be in on goal.

In the second half Mooy received the ball in the box on his left foot. The whole left side of the box was free and Koren just had to run straight to exploit that space and provide the overlap so he can receive a short pass from Mooy.

Could have been a lack of energy but that shouldn't be an excuse for our "marquee player".

Lets hope that he can be paid out under the FFA rules and the club gets a player worthy of the marquee title.

Marquees can be paid out. But I am prepared to see how he goes under a new coach.

Not sure what the rules are here, but would that mean he would still have to be listed as our marquee for next season?

Lets hope that he can be paid out under the FFA rules and the club gets a player worthy of the marquee title.

Marquees can be paid out. But I am prepared to see how he goes under a new coach.

Not sure what the rules are here, but would that mean he would still have to be listed as our marquee for next season?

If he was paid out this season then I would assume not.

If he accepted a termination then he would no longer be our player. Therefore he could not be our marquee either.

Whether or not FFA would allow us another marquee is a separate issue, but apart from what I see as a general "anti-City" stance I can't see that they would refuse a more genuine marquee in the league.

The thing is with Koren, he's a number 10. He's a playmaker. He's used to playing in the centre of the park. From there he can distribute the ball and he can take more shots from outside the box. Our fearless coach however seems to think that Left Wing is the best position to play our marquee No.10!

He's creativity and input (and obviously output) is limited when he's shoved in the left corner. Instead, he should be playing beside Mooy (or even slightly ahead of Mooy) feeding the ball through to Harry and Jesus to put away.

Moral to the story is: JvS OUT!

• Like 1

To date Koren's performances have been adequate but not the 'game changing' type that I was expecting - like what we saw say with Ono for WSW and the type of effort Broich has delivered for Brisvegas. Our club has had 64 players on the senior list since the first season and just two gaffers - JA and JVS. In that time we have been mid table but mostly the bottom end. We will remain mediocre until JVS is turfed out. I'm still shaking my head in #disBelief that we lost yesterday with arguably a pretty strong lineup against a bunch of CCM hacks. This has been the JVS way since day #1.

• Like 1

The thing is with Koren, he's a number 10. He's a playmaker. He's used to playing in the centre of the park. From there he can distribute the ball and he can take more shots from outside the box. Our fearless coach however seems to think that Left Wing is the best position to play our marquee No.10!

He's creativity and input (and obviously output) is limited when he's shoved in the left corner. Instead, he should be playing beside Mooy (or even slightly ahead of Mooy) feeding the ball through to Harry and Jesus to put away.

Moral to the story is: JvS OUT!

I think we need to be clear about the modern day play makers role is.  Basically its to create assists and score a bit as well.  Foster was saying that unlike previous times, the central playmaker/number 10 is dead because of how good defensively the game has become.  Instead, its the wide mobile playmaker-ideally two- that create the assists- Ozil is the best example IMO. Broich is the A-League equivalent.

But key to this way of playing is the Number 6-the deeper more central playmaker that takes the ball off the back four deep in his ownn half and sprays the passes to the wide play makers.  This number 6 should be Melling or Paartaluu.  

And therein lies the problem-they are not number 6's, instead they are both DM's, meaning only one of Mooy or Koren can be the central playmaker, which currently means its Mooy in the middle and Koren is out on the wing.

I'm wondering where would Koren fit in if Garruccio and Melling were healthy? Now with Kennedy in place up front and Novillo on the right wing it wouldn't be an ideal situation if they were all here and we couldn't have all our best players on the pitch at one time. I know we've been hit with some obstacles with injuries and all but the management of this team just isn't good at all.

Koren has underperformed but l will not exclude him from next season. When l played football and was played outside of my position, try as l might, l could never play my best football. Put him in the position he plays best and what he was brought over for. Hopefully next season he will shine.

• Like 1

Really ???

Just a thought:

Duff's performances were also questionable at times, was unable to find a team mate often because he was used to having better team mates who would find space and create an option for him to pass too.

At least with Duff it was quite clear that was the problem and quite clear that it was seldom his fault.

When we signed him I was concerned that we’d signed a marque who was a lower table EPL / high table Championship player who was then let go by them (and I was pretty much flamed over it) and was 33 years old. But I thought we’d see how he went. I think it has been a disappointment. He’s not been terrible but not worthy of the marque role. 

• Like 2