Melbourne Football

Robert Koren (confirmed by club as released)

Jimmy

It was reported Engelaar wanted to go back to Europe for personal reasons and the club waited to see what would happen before deciding on another course of action.

If that's the case, it was out of our hands and that's the way things go. Time to get over that one.

As a signing, Koren looks strong on paper and has shown some good signs at times. Whether it's his fitness, or adapting to this league, his work ethic around the park seems to be lacking so far.

Add in that he has been played out of position most of the time, it's still too early to tell how it will play out. He has 10 rounds this season (plus hopefully finals) to show some value :)

When Koren was announced I was disappointed and somewhat sceptical (I thought we should be aiming higher than a 33 year old released by a low level EPL/ high level Championship team) but thought I would see how it turned out before making a firm judgement on how good a signing this was or wasn’t. We’re now heading into the final stretch of the season and so far I don’t think he’s been a great signing or even a good signing. Not terrible but not good. With Duff now gone this is his chance to step up because I can’t see him improving his game next year.

I'm not so sure that Koren alone is to blame for his average performances, as he's barely been played in his preferred and most effective position. 

Not excusing him by any means as he is capable and should be capable of playing at a higher standard in the A-League but the way JVS has utilised Koren hasn't exactly helped. 

Injury setback probably wasn't ideal either but as others have mentioned, Engelaar with a worse injury came back and was far more effective so overall I agree that Koren has been a bit of a disappointment. 

Koren has had flashes of brilliance, but needs to be more consistent. for a guy who was meant to be the star of the team, i really had hoped he would hit the ground running after the Asian Cup break.

i get a feeling that Koren's a bit like Brett Emerton - class player but works best when he has solid players too feed off. i can't really see Koren being the sort of player that will create a lot out of nothing.

which sadly means we will only see Koren truly do well on the days like the 5-2 Newcastle game where Koren looks a cut above in a very good team performance.

that said i'd like to remind people that with Engelaar, he played 11 games (10 starts) from the final 13 games of last season. and while we certainly improved once he started playing, we still went winless in the last 6 games of last season (even Engelaar couldnt "save us" from that rut).

as such, the problem here (or at least in some respects) is how the Engelaar return has skewed expectation for all future marquees. the fact that we only dropped 2 points from the first 7 games after Engelaar's return tends to make Engelaar look godly.

the fact the team still went 6 games winless dispels the notion that the difference came down just to one marquee (at least for me anyway).

with Koren, we've picked up 11 points from 7 games as opposed to only 10 from the 9 games he hasnt featured in. the team has improved, and if we make finals i think Koren's influence has be felt - even if it's only slightly and even if it is not obvious to the naked eye.

particularly now since we have lost Duff.

Edited by mattyh001
  • Like 1

agree with you matty. 

We can't just rely on CFG going all out and signing one quality marquee and expecting that one player to be the difference between being 7th on the ladder and 1st. We had David Villa for 4 matches and only just scraped 2 points. The league has well and truly passed those days and it is vital we assemble a team of quality players with the marquees being the 'icing on the cake'

Koren is obviously a high quality player who has played at the highest level and you can see that with his technical ability, the way he passes, controls the ball, and how he knows exactly what he's doing before even receiving the ball.

The problem is a lot of the players around him aren't up to scratch, and while there is quality in the likes of Mooy/Kennedy/Paartalu (Duff when he was playing) a lot of it also comes down to how the coach gets the best out of the players and how he gets the team playing together. I've said before that Ange is obviously one of the best at doing this, it showed in his teams how even average players suddenly came good. Having said this, i have no doubt that in one or maybe 2 more off seasons, we should have recruited a team of quality players in every position and the list will be the best in the league by far, but whether or not JVS is the man to get the absolute best out of that list i'm still not convinced.

Put it this way, look at the team Brisbane had in the first year they won the double and only lost 1 match. They didn't have a marquee back then, but still dominated every match and the league. If you were to add Koren and Kennedy to that team back then, imagine how much more they would've won the league by. THAT is what we need to be aiming for

Edited by heart_fan10

I agree that it all comes down to the coaching. It's a team game. Next season we will have Koren, Kennedy, Mooy, Melling, Paartalu, and Chapman, all accomplished players. By the start of next season they should be well-used to playing alongside one another. With Koren and Kennedy outside the cap there will be a good opportunity to add to that list and obtain a quality squad. I hope we're working on that now so that the new players get here early and get used to the others and we hit the season running - unlike previous seasons.

I'm afraid I don't think van 't Schip is the coach we need; his track record is just too poor.

• Like 1

I still think he issnt being used correctly. He should be put on the left and given licence to roam and rotate with mooy. Since mooy always likes going wide left alot. He is a great finisher as his hatrick showed. I think all were one touch finishes and not just blasted at the goal there was a prescision to it

'Older' signings stopped being successful in the a league a few seasons ago, successful teams stopped signing players in there mid 30s years back, we've been doing it since season one, seriously how many of our visa players have performed to broich, berisha, fuck even finkler standards?

Other teams have learned to target players closer to the age of 30 and not 35, we haven't. Enough of this he's been playing out of position crap, or the coaching is not good enough, too many excuses, the club haven't learned from mistakes on or off the field. It's the same shit every week.

• Like 2

If we go though our visa players season by season...(excluding injury replacements and guests)

S1: Worm, Sibon, Terra;

S2: Worm, Germano, Fred, Terra, Maycon;

S3: Fred, Gerhardt, Tadic, Germano, Gray;

S4: Engelaar, Mifsud, Wielaert, Gerhardt, Germano;

S5: Wielaert, Koren, Duff, Germano, Safuwan.

Not a lot to get excited about there.

Edited by jw1739

If we go though our visa players season by season...(excluding injury replacements and guests)

Season Four wins just on Engelaar alone.

Edited by jw1739

Could you fit into the one side (assuming all fit and injury free, granted is a huge assumption about our club),

Sibon, Tadic, Engelaar and Duff?

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 1

S5: Wielaert, Koren, Duff, Germano, Safuwan, (Miller, Jalians).

I don't know...in season 2 we had 3 Brazilians, 1 Argentine and The Worm.

Edited by jw1739

Big Orlando made his mark but as a team we were still sh!t.

The trouble is that we have had too many passengers/crap players so we are always asking too much of the marquee. In some ways I'd rather have no 'big' marquee but an even spread of good talent. And of course a much better coach.

Edited by jw1739

I've added Michael Mifsud to S4. If I now add in the possible "name players" that we've had in addition to the visa players...

S1: Aloisi and Skoko;

S2: nil;

S3: Garcia and Grella;

S4: Kewell and Kisnorbo;

S5: Villa, Kisnorbo, Kennedy

...my assessment would be that we obtained a reasonable returns from:

S1: Sibon, Aloisi  and Terra;

S2: nil

S3: Gerhardt and Garcia;

S4: Engelaar, Wielaert and Kisnorbo;

S5: too early to judge.

It's very hard to judge in some cases. In a number of cases it seems that we didn't use the players to best effect. For example, Alex Terra was very popular around the club in S1, but then we spent most of S2 kicking the ball over his head. IMO Paddy Gerhardt was quite a good player in S3, but then he seemed to fall out of favour and that was that.

I don't think we've ever had a squad good enough to be top four, but IMO we should have done better than we have in each of the five seasons.

Edited by jw1739

Got it so wrong with this bloke.

I have watched him play a lot of football, I followed Hull because of a mate from work from when they were in the 3rd division, so then saw a lot of him.

When we got him I must admit thought it was a winner. The injury may have hurt him, maybe being played out on a wing not great, but to me his attitude is so Melbourne Heart. Casual, relaxed no winning attitude.

He's been a massive disappointment. Would be looking at mutual termination at end of season.

• Like 1

Got it so wrong with this bloke.

I have watched him play a lot of football, I followed Hull because of a mate from work from when they were in the 3rd division, so then saw a lot of him.

When we got him I must admit thought it was a winner. The injury may have hurt him, maybe being played out on a wing not great, but to me his attitude is so Melbourne Heart. Casual, relaxed no winning attitude.

He's been a massive disappointment. Would be looking at mutual termination at end of season.

First and foremost I think it says a lot about the culture of the club and those running the football department. Getting rid of mediocrity was as much about changing ownership as it was about having an overhaull of the whole of the club. Season over I'd say and it's time to terminate JVS and find a new coach who can be given enough time to clear out some more dead wood and instigate a new mentality at the club. Start planning for next season now. Meanwhile expect more 6000 type crowds. Edited by HEARTinator