Jump to content
Melbourne Football
Harrison

City v Sydney - Saturday 1st August 5pm at ANZ Stadium

Recommended Posts

Feels like so long ago that we played a game. Expecting the same front 3 of Terra Sibon and Worm, they worked well against the Fury in our last game 

  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, neio said:

Feels like so long ago that we played a game. Expecting the same front 3 of Terra Sibon and Worm, they worked well against the Fury in our last game 

Don't get our hopes up. We will conceed just before half time and then in the last 10 to lose 4-3 😔

Edited by mattyh001

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My sense is that final ladder position is less important than momentum. We're not going to get home advantage wherever we finish, but we can go into finals in good form and on a winning streak (as well as having played fewer games than the competition). Recent form will be critical, not season long ladder position. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

My sense is that final ladder position is less important than momentum. We're not going to get home advantage wherever we finish, but we can go into finals in good form and on a winning streak (as well as having played fewer games than the competition). Recent form will be critical, not season long ladder position. 

Home advantage counts for nought without a crowd anyway imo, so i think you are spot on when it comes to momentum. 5 wins will get us a trophy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 02/07/2020 at 2:22 PM, bt50 said:

Home advantage counts for nought without a crowd anyway imo, so i think you are spot on when it comes to momentum. 5 wins will get us a trophy

And the two clubs to benefit most for having no fans would be us and WU

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So with the border closing does this game get played in Sydney? Be a nightmare for each of the Melbourne clubs to organise getting everyone out before tomorrow night. Will Luna even be out of quarantine by then?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The situation is changing on a daily basis. If the season really has to be completed, even though the matches will be behind closed doors IMO it needs to happen as soon as possible because I don't think it's possible to reasonably predict what the situation might be in 3 days time, let alone later in July and into August.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CityBoyz said:

 

Wonder if that means Jamieson is done for the season. His partner is eight months pregnant. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bit of a sh*tshow but it's times like this to be glad we've got a financially stable and professional club setup that can handle a situation like this.

On the match itself, would like to see Susaeta, Noone and Maclaren all start in the front three, should have no injuries after the long lay off. 

Edited by Dezy94
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

he might be completely screwed. Wont make his VIC 14 day quarantine then if he is allowed to locate in to NSW at all, will have to serve another 14 Days. that would put him somewhere around close to end of July. So whether he would be brought in that late will depend on injuries i guess. I havent reasd the article cause of the paywall. anybody able to post it?

4 hours ago, Dezy94 said:

Bit of a sh*tshow but it's times like this to be glad we've got a financially stable and professional club setup that can handle a situation like this.

On the match itself, would like to see Susaeta, Noone and Maclaren all start in the front three, should have no injuries after the long lay off. 

is noone injured? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-07-07/a-league-confusion-as-players-left-on-tarmac-in-melbourne/12429066

Farce.

The COV-19 situation changes by the day if not by the hour (as those poor sods locked up in their housing commission apartments have found), so as soon NSW had been decided on as the "hub" then all inter-state clubs should have moved there promptly.

Edited by jw1739

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is better than prison break, apparently one player (dunno which team) didn't change his address and still has a NSW address so he made a dash and got over the border. 

It's an absolute circus

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Perhaps I’m missing something but why didn’t we just jump on the bus yesterday and drove into NSW?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Perhaps I’m missing something but why didn’t we just jump on the bus yesterday and drove into NSW?

Left it too late I think 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Perhaps I’m missing something but why didn’t we just jump on the bus yesterday and drove into NSW?

Presumably left it too late to meet the 12.01 a.m. Tuesday 7th July deadline for people from Greater Melbourne to cross the border. They would have had to leave Melbourne by (latest) 21.00 Monday to make the border in time.

Almost unbelievable fuck-up by the League and the clubs. How people such as O'Rourke keep their jobs beats me.

2 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Even today, it’s 2.5hr drive to the border, you can leave now and still make it. 

No, it closed for Greater Melbourne residents at 12.01 this morning (1 minute past midnight).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Presumably left it too late to meet the 12.01 a.m. Tuesday 7th July deadline for people from Greater Melbourne to cross the border. They would have had to leave Melbourne by (latest) 21.00 Monday to make the border in time.

Almost unbelievable fuck-up by the League and the clubs. How people such as O'Rourke keep their jobs beats me.

No, it closed for Greater Melbourne residents at 12.01 this morning (1 minute past midnight).

Ah I see.

Most AFL team left on the weekend straight after the Sunday games. Seems like very poor planning from the FFA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What a total shemozzle. We hang around in Vic any longer and we risk not getting an exemption from NSW Govt. FFA should have seen this coming last week

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 06/07/2020 at 7:21 PM, citymad said:

is noone injured? 

Far as I know everyone's fit, including Windbichler

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Mr MO said:

Ah I see.

Most AFL team left on the weekend straight after the Sunday games. Seems like very poor planning from the FFA.

The regulations are a little confusing to an outsider, perhaps, but given that FFA is in Sydney you would think it could have done a lot better.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-07-08/melbourne-a-league-clubs-bid-leave-victoria-stopped-coronavirus/12432950?WT.ac=statenews_vic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, malloy said:

I might be missing something, but why are they flying to ACT instead of going to Sydney direct?

FIIK. Doesn't make sense to me either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

FIIK. Doesn't make sense to me either.

I read somewhere that they focused on Canberra as the NSW exempt wasn’t granted in time and wanted to be out of state. The biggest cock up is focussing on flights rather then just jump on the bus on Monday.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

The biggest cock up is focussing on flights rather then just jump on the bus on Monday.

Couldn't agree more. Wasting time getting three clubs' players and staff to AAMI Park and then to the airport, waiting for the flight, then the one hour flight to Sydney...would have taken at least three hours...why did they need to go together? City could have got on a coach at Bundoora and been in Albury in a shorter time.

But that's the A-League isn't it? Focussing on the wrong things at the wrong time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ironically this whole fiasco is making the possibility of a whole month of football all the more tantalising.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...