Melbourne Football

City v Sydney - Saturday 1st August 5pm at ANZ Stadium

Harrison

2 hours ago, n i k o said:

Complete domination

Great sign especially first game back from a long break! Very encouraging and makes me feel optimistic for the rest of the season. Certainly hopeful of a good result against Adelaide. 

Depending on how the Brisbane - Wellington game pans out we might be one step closer to securing 2nd...

As I read it here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2021_AFC_Champions_League, Sydney have qualified for the 2021 AFC Champions League by being Premiers for Season 2020-21. There will two qualifiers for the Qualifying Competition for the 2021 AFC Champions League - the A-League Champion (winner of the Grand Final) and the club that finished second in the League in the regular season.

So provided we hold on for second, we will play AFC football in 2021 (that's if there is any). Otherwise we will have to be Champions to do so.

Edited by jw1739

54 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

As I read it here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2021_AFC_Champions_League, Sydney have qualified for the 2021 AFC Champions League by being Premiers for Season 2020-21. There will two qualifiers for the Qualifying Competition for the 2021 AFC Champions League - the A-League Champion (winner of the Grand Final) and the club that finished second in the League in the regular season.

So provided we hold on for second, we will play AFC football in 2021 (that's if there is any). Otherwise we will have to be Champions to do so.

Yep, although it doesn't quite tell the full story.
First thing is that Wellington can't enter, so their spot is forfeited to the next side down the table should they claim one of the spots. Likewise, if Sydney were to win the GF then they can't have two spots, so the next eligible side gets it.
Effectively the only way we miss out from here is if we finish below Brisbane (we have to lose both, they have to win both) and then a side that isn't Brisbane, Wellington us or Sydney win the GF. It's incredibly unlikely that we miss out from here, assuming the competition goes ahead.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 03/08/2020 at 12:51 PM, bt50 said:

Yep, although it doesn't quite tell the full story.
First thing is that Wellington can't enter, so their spot is forfeited to the next side down the table should they claim one of the spots. Likewise, if Sydney were to win the GF then they can't have two spots, so the next eligible side gets it.
Effectively the only way we miss out from here is if we finish below Brisbane (we have to lose both, they have to win both) and then a side that isn't Brisbane, Wellington us or Sydney win the GF. It's incredibly unlikely that we miss out from here, assuming the competition goes ahead.

But that's quintessentially us.

If there is a way to balls anything up we are odds on the do it.

I'm leaning more towards that we actually qualify but for the first time in many years there won't be a champions league at all.

And yes it's a negative post after probably our second best away win ever but City has conditioned me to look at all the possible reasons for failure as a default mindset.

39 minutes ago, Jovan said:

But that's quintessentially us.

If there is a way to balls anything up we are odds on the do it.

I'm leaning more towards that we actually qualify but for the first time in many years there won't be a champions league at all.

And yes it's a negative post after probably our second best away win ever but City has conditioned me to look at all the possible reasons for failure as a default mindset.

We are zero chance of ballsing this up imo. But the possibility that the league gets canned for a year, very conceivable.
It'd be just our luck that we finally get our shit together and our fans would be denied the chance to see us play in our first GF and have the ACL cancelled.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, bt50 said:

We are zero chance of ballsing this up imo. But the possibility that the league gets canned for a year, very conceivable.
It'd be just our luck that we finally get our shit together and our fans would be denied the chance to see us play in our first GF and have the ACL cancelled.

It would just be our luck wouldn't it... 😔😕😟