Melbourne Football

The "Where are they now?" thread

kingawesomeness

Patrick Gerhardt is with Al Zawraa, Bagdad, Iraq.

Geez, he must be desperate. Although if it was dodge bullets in Iraq or avoid Ebola in Liberia, id probably pick Iraq. 

LOL - He is actually really Swiss he just chose to represent Liberia in football so he options in life are def not that limited.

Edited by cadete

Patrick Gerhardt is with Al Zawraa, Bagdad, Iraq.

Geez, he must be desperate. Although if it was dodge bullets in Iraq or avoid Ebola in Liberia, id probably pick Iraq. 

LOL - He is actually really Swiss he just chose to represent Liberia in football so he options in life are def not that limited.

Actually good to know. I never looked at Paddy the same again after watch a VICE doco on Human Cannibals of Liberia. 

This got me intrested where everyone is, so thought I'd make full list of every MHFC player. If any are wrong let me know

Clint Bolton - retired

Michael Marrone - Adelaide United (Australia)

Brendan Hamill - West Sydney Wanderers (Australia)

Simon Colosimo - retired

Michael Beauchamp - PTT Rayong (Thailand)

Matt Thompson - PTT Rayong (Thailand)

Rutger Worm - Achillies 29 (Netherlands)

Kristian Sarkies - Bulleen Lions

Gerald Sibon - retired

Wayne Srhoj - Mareeba (Queensland)

Alex Terra - Valletta (Malta)

Kamal Ibrahim - Port Melbourne Sharks

John Aloisi - retired

Aziz Behich - Bursaspor (Turkey)

Eli Babalj - AZ Alkmaar (Netherlands)

Josip Skoko - retired

Kliment Taseski - Hume City

Dean Heffernan - retired

Adrian Zahra - Valletta (Malta)

Fred - Philadelphia Union (USA)

Maycon - Goyang Hi FC (South Korea)

Curtis Good - Newcastle United (England)

Craig Goodwin - Adelaide United (Australia)

Nikola Roganovic - Green Gully

Patrick Gerhardt -

Dylan Macallister - Eastern Salon (Hong Kong)

Josip Tadic - Rijeka (Croatia)

Richard Garcia - Perth (Australia)

Golgol Merbrahtu - West Sydney Wanderers (Australia)

Marcel Meeuwis - FC Eindhoven (Netherlands)

David Vrankovic - Bonnyrigg White Eagles (NSW)

Steven Gray - Oakleigh

Jamie Coyne - Bayswater City (Western Australia)

Sam Mitchinson - Bayswater City (Western Australia)

Jeremy Walker - Concord Rangers (England)

Orlando Engelaar - Twente (Netherlands)

Harry Kewell - retired

Michael Mifsud - Sliema Wanderers (Malta)

Andrea Migliorini - Delta Porto Tolle (Italy)

This is just an observation here but its pretty interesting to see that most of those promising younger players are either back in the HAL or playing state leagues (Good, Eli and Aziz being the only real exceptions). Zahra is in Malta and Jezza is playing conference football but thats not exactly leaps and bounds ahead of playing here.

• 1 month later...

Migliorini now playing amateur (probably semi-pro) football in Italy. I guess those two goals will go downb as the highlights of his career.

Still worth a watch FWIW.

Was over for that game. Didn't realise he was so far out watching live. Second best goal I've seen live for us after Terra's attempt in Perth with the ridiculous overhead kick past Tando.

• Like 1

Migliorini now playing amateur (probably semi-pro) football in Italy. I guess those two goals will go downb as the highlights of his career.

I actually inboxed him on facebook the other week and he said he was waiting for a "new foreign experience". 

Interesting

I wonder what Brad Bootsma is up to these days....

Jeremy Walker now playing regularly for Concord Rangers (England Conference South).

Saw the other day he played a full game. He has played in about half the games so far, not sure how many are starts and how many off the bench.

At his level he would for sure be semi-pro. League Two is generally considered the last professional division, but a lot of clubs and players in Conference Premier are also fully professional these days. But in Conference north/south it's pretty much all semi-pro AFAIK. Though it still can be a decent wage if you play regularly for one of the bigger teams from what I've heard, but for Jeremy surely he also has to work a job on the side to get by.

Seems like Vince Grella is turning out to be the GOAT agent. How he got Brillante a move to Fiorentina I'll never understand, but he also orchestrated Taggart's move to Fulham and De Silva's move to Roma (highest transfer fee in A-League history I think?). Will be interesting to see what moves he can make next.

Pretty good for a bloke who sounds like he has an IQ of about 40 when he talks.

Edited by Tesla
  • Like 1

Seems like Vince Grella is turning out to be the GOAT agent. How he got Brillante a move to Fiorentina I'll never understand, but he also orchestrated Taggart's move to Fulham and De Silva's move to Roma (highest transfer fee in A-League history I think?). Will be interesting to see what moves he can make next.

How can you forget his display of loyalty when getting Troisi to Victory for a season.

How can you forget his display of loyalty when getting Troisi to Victory for a season.

I would hope that as an agent Grella's loyalty is to his clients! Why would our franchise be interested in a goal scoring forward, Troisi isn't the sort of midfielder we seem to collect. Grella does seem to have done well for someone who left school at age of 12

Edited by belaguttman
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Engelaar is getting a spell of game time at Twente with one of their main midfielders currently out of the team. Engelaar played over 70 minutes in the very dramatic match against Willem II over the weekend:

Jesus christ, Orlando must've thought he was back in Melbourne after the striker missed that tap in.

• 3 weeks later...

Vietnam 's Bin Duong sign former Young Socceroo Vrankovic

AFC: Thu Dao Mot (January 13, 2015) AFC Champions League Group E side have bolstered their squad ahead of the kick-off of their continental campaign with the signing of former Australia youth international defender David Vrankovic. 

Vrankanovic was part of the Young Socceroos’ squad that reached the semi-finals of the 2012 AFC U-19 Championship in the UAE and made a couple of appearances for Australia’s U-23s in the inaugural AFC U-22 Championship in Oman the following year.

The 21-year-old defender joins the three-time Vietnamese champions from National Premier Leagues (NSW) side Bonyrigg White Eagles, who he returned to last year after being unable to force his way into the senior team at Melbourne Heart (now Melbourne City) during his two years at the Victoria-based club.

The increase in the number of clubs participating in the AFC Champions League and AFC Cup sees Binh Duong return to Asia’s premier club competition for the first time since 2008, with the three-time Vietnamese champions drawn with 2006 ACL winners Jeonbuk Motors, Shandong Luneng of China, and a yet to be determined qualifier from the playoffs, with Japan's’ Kashiwa Reysol, 2012 AFC Cup semi-finalists Chonburi from Thailand, and Hong Kong’s Kitchee, who made the final four of last year’s AFC Cup, all in the reckoning.

Chonburi entertain Kitchee on February 10 with the winner facing a tough trip to Japan to take on 2011 J.League champions Kashiwa a week later.

http://boxscorenews.com/vietnam-s-bin-duong-sign-former-young-socceroo-vrankovic-p111467-68.htm

Vrankovic's new team play in Vietnam's top flight competition, the V-League, and finished 1st last season. This means that Vrankovic will be able to play AFC Champions League football (from the group stage) with the team in the 2015 AFC Champions League.

Never really understood why we didn't keep him. He wouldn't have been on a big salary, and look at our defensive weaknesses now...

because his NYL form was horrific. Archibald was the better player for most of last season.

I think what I'm trying to say is that we seem only too ready to ditch Vrankovic, Walker, Mitchinson etc. because they have a bit of a bad run, yet we're happy to keep renewing the proven spuds like Williams, Dugandzic, Hoffman etc.

• Like 1

Never really understood why we didn't keep him. He wouldn't have been on a big salary, and look at our defensive weaknesses now...

because his NYL form was horrific. Archibald was the better player for most of last season.

I think what I'm trying to say is that we seem only too ready to ditch Vrankovic, Walker, Mitchinson etc. because they have a bit of a bad run, yet we're happy to keep renewing the proven spuds like Williams, Dugandzic, Hoffman etc.

Because they are no where near the level required, and probably would never get there. Hoffman is a far better right back than Walker. Mitchinson is even worse, and there were very big questions about his professionalism.

Vrankovic is the only one that you could make an argument for really, and even then it's not like any other A-League clubs were lining up to sign him. In the end he has had to go to Vietnam.

• Like 1

Because they are no where near the level required, and probably would never get there. Hoffman is a far better right back than Walker. Mitchinson is even worse, and there were very big questions about his professionalism.

Vrankovic is the only one that you could make an argument for really, and even then it's not like any other A-League clubs were lining up to sign him. In the end he has had to go to Vietnam.

Probably earns next to nothing over there but would still be living like a King.

Probably earns next to nothing over there but would still be living like a King.

I never said it was a bad life, it would probably be great. But he wouldnt have gone there if he had a chance at an A-league contract.

All three of those players are ten times better than the three that got released. Why is Hoffman still put in these lists of players who underperform? He has been more than good enough for the last season and a half to warrant his spot. I'm not saying he is amazing or anything but he has been our most consistent defensive player over the last few years. Still believe our best back four with this squad is Hoffman chapman kisnorbo Garruccio.

Is just lazy to still keep lumping Hoffman in there. Agree in the past he shouldn't have been given contract extensions but has turned into a serviceable a-league level RB IMO.

fwiw I'd still want to see us sign a better RB with Hoffman as a utility player able to fill gaps.

• Like 1

Why is Hoffman still put in these lists of players who underperform? 

Is just lazy to still keep lumping Hoffman in there. 

It just happens to be my opinion after 4+ seasons of watching him. It may differ from your opinion, but that doesn't make me "lazy." We probably differ on several other players as well.

Edited by jw1739

I never said it was a bad life, it would probably be great. But he wouldnt have gone there if he had a chance at an A-league contract.

Yeah I agree...

As you know I make the same point on here every few weeks myself I just find the thought of an Aussie playing Professional Football in Vietnam slightly amusing.

Why is Hoffman still put in these lists of players who underperform? 

Is just lazy to still keep lumping Hoffman in there. 

It just happens to be my opinion after 4+ seasons of watching him. It may differ from your opinion, but that doesn't make me "lazy." We probably differ on several other players as well.

Hoffman is the equivalent of the student that gets straight C's on his report card... he passes as an A-League player these days but not as someone who is going to win you silverware.

Edited by cadete
  • Like 2

Hoffman is rubbish. He can sort of defend I guess, but he is an absolute nightmare with the ball. H e is in the same class as Williams, Ramsay and Redmayne. Guys who just simply should not be professional footballers. I gauge the level of the A- league by the worst players in it. Terry McFlynn is gone, Ian Fyfe is gone. Hoffman is next. Then the A- League will have taken another step forward.

Hoffman is rubbish. He can sort of defend I guess, but he is an absolute nightmare with the ball. H e is in the same class as Williams, Ramsay and Redmayne. Guys who just simply should not be professional footballers. I gauge the level of the A- league by the worst players in it. Terry McFlynn is gone, Ian Fyfe is gone. Hoffman is next. Then the A- League will have taken another step forward.

Yeh, nah
  • Like 2

You fuckin take that back!