Melbourne Football

The "Where are they now?" thread

kingawesomeness

Unfortunately with only 10 teams with 23 spots on a roster of which 5 are usually filled by foreigners there is very slim chance for guys who don't qualify for the youth team to get a look in from State League level. A lot of players with A-League experience are recycled despite offering very little (Nick Ward, Isaka Cernak, Justin Pasfield, etc)

There are plenty of decent players at State League level, but it comes down to lack of scouting or clubs unwilling to take a risk on players unproven at A-League level. Hopefully expansion to 12 teams comes soon so guys like Vranks, Walker, Zahra, etc have a better chance of getting picked up and developing to their maximum potential.

Is expansion likely to happen? I think it would be really good for the A-League to add a few more teams, but I'd read a few things suggesting that analysts didn't really think there was the potential - something about the low profile of football, the long distances and low money making it hard to find new places to open an expansion?

Unfortunately with only 10 teams with 23 spots on a roster of which 5 are usually filled by foreigners there is very slim chance for guys who don't qualify for the youth team to get a look in from State League level. A lot of players with A-League experience are recycled despite offering very little (Nick Ward, Isaka Cernak, Justin Pasfield, etc)

There are plenty of decent players at State League level, but it comes down to lack of scouting or clubs unwilling to take a risk on players unproven at A-League level. Hopefully expansion to 12 teams comes soon so guys like Vranks, Walker, Zahra, etc have a better chance of getting picked up and developing to their maximum potential.

Is expansion likely to happen? I think it would be really good for the A-League to add a few more teams, but I'd read a few things suggesting that analysts didn't really think there was the potential - something about the low profile of football, the long distances and low money making it hard to find new places to open an expansion?

I think they will try it before the next tv deal (which is two year away I think) but it's hard in Aus with such a small population and a saturated market... I still am baffelled how the rebels in Melbourne stay afloat. They are a rugby union team falastur in a town and a state that is heavily supportive of AFL (Aussie rules)

It's 3 years away, and conveniently comes to tender a season before NRLs and AFLs broadcast deals.

Not the thread for it, but I've always thought Canberra and Wollongong were prime for expansion clubs now, we just need the investment.

I only think the A-League has the capacity to sustain a 12 or 14 team league for the next couple decades.

• Like 1

It's 3 years away, and conveniently comes to tender a season before NRLs and AFLs broadcast deals.

Not the thread for it, but I've always thought Canberra and Wollongong were prime for expansion clubs now, we just need the investment.

I only think the A-League has the capacity to sustain a 12 or 14 team league for the next couple decades.

Completely agree.

Completely agree.

Only real alternative is 1 or 2 from se Asia . Indonesia Singapore Malaysia. Similar to the Phoenix. 14 teams would be perfect.

Completely agree.

Only real alternative is 1 or 2 from se Asia . Indonesia Singapore Malaysia. Similar to the Phoenix. 14 teams would be perfect.

The big issue there would be travel time I'd assume.

Completely agree.

The big issue there would be travel time I'd assume.

Melbourne-Singapore 8 hours.

Melbourne-Jakarta 7 hours.

Melbourne-KL 8 1/2 hours.

Not impossible by any means.

SE Asia Super League.

Eh, I wouldn't really be a big fan of more international clubs in the A-League as I'm barely a fan of having Welly in the competition. 

As much as many mightn't like it, NSW/ACT is the most viable and sustainable candidate for expansion.

Eh, I wouldn't really be a big fan of more international clubs in the A-League as I'm barely a fan of having Welly in the competition. 

As much as many mightn't like it, NSW/ACT is the most viable and sustainable candidate for expansion.

Wollongong is not much different to Geelong. We don't need any more regional sort of sides. The next 2 teams that come in must come from big cities.

Wollongong is not much different to Geelong. We don't need any more regional sort of sides. The next 2 teams that come in must come from big cities. I'm with this. Wollongong and Canberra will get by but probably struggle with the same issues that the mariners do with 8k crowds and little corporate support.

I'd put the next 2 in south sydney and south west sydney. They have the stadiums, and if we can get 4 successful clubs up and running in sydney that will be huge for the tv deal.

ACT has a population of 400k and Wollongong has over 300k...Greater Geelong and Townsville however have only around 200k population so there's no comparison. A big advantage Geelong has is its close proximity to Melbourne and it has a well supported AFL team who you want to get on board...but Geelong won't happen for at least another decade I reckon.

I don't think Sydney can support a South AND South West club. Maybe put one in South or South West Sydney and the other in Wollongong. Wollongong have a long and proud history of football in the region so if it's done right, it'd be a bigger success than NQF.

Nrl gets by ok with lots of teams in sydney. If we ever want to be as big as the nrl or afl we need lots of clubs in the big cities not lots of regional clubs. Just my opinion.

But we can't just throw clubs into big cities for the sake of it though, clubs like Perth and Adelaide barely fill out their stadiums as it is. 

Brisbane could potentially get a 2nd team but who knows.

If the expansion comes it needs to be international, any other venture to me seems just putting a team were you think it should be rather than we're it can become a great team. The ALeague doesn't need any more Jets or CCM it's needs another 4 wanderers. I cant see any place that will produce this other than SE Asia.

I also don't know whether people from South-East Asia will support a team playing in Australia's league.

This.

What a retarded suggestion. Those people will already be supporting teams in their own leagues. If a Melbourne based J-League team started tomorrow would you ditch Melbourne City for them?

• Like 3

Football for a long while unfortunately will be second to AFL and NRL. To be able to produce an elite professionally run club requires huge resources. Main ingredient is a fan base to support that. Even the AFL has reached its maximum with expansion, and I would argue at least 4 to 6 clubs rely solely on handouts to survive.

I also don't know whether people from South-East Asia will support a team playing in Australia's league.

This.

What a retarded suggestion. Those people will already be supporting teams in their own leagues. If a Melbourne based J-League team started tomorrow would you ditch Melbourne City for them?

Not talking J league. Singapore, Kuala Lumpur Jakarta. Not sure but I would suggest A league would be a higher standard, therefore be a step up for their league champion.

Actually thought people were taking the piss about Asian teams entering the aleague. I think it's a dreadful idea and the aleague for me would be a lot less appealling. Mind you, it'll never happen. The next two teams should be Wollongong (essentially a smaller WSW) and Ipswich, one of the highest growth areas in Australia...and will provide a proper rivalry with Brisbane

If you are talking expansion perhaps it may be best for the FFA to create the club then once it is successfully up and running to sell it to a conglomerate. An alternative would be to promote a state based club to the A-League. For me Tasmania should also be in the frame (satisfies teh overseas requirement). In any case I don't think we should try and poach a club from SE Asia.

ACT has a population of 400k and Wollongong has over 300k...Greater Geelong and Townsville however have only around 200k population so there's no comparison. A big advantage Geelong has is its close proximity to Melbourne and it has a well supported AFL team who you want to get on board...but Geelong won't happen for at least another decade I reckon.

I don't think Sydney can support a South AND South West club. Maybe put one in South or South West Sydney and the other in Wollongong. Wollongong have a long and proud history of football in the region so if it's done right, it'd be a bigger success than NQF.

Wollongong are sports mad, large italian population. 

They get huge crowds to Dragons games

I can see him ending up at Newcastle if he keeps up the strong performances. Stubbins would be all over the VPL and will no doubt be getting regular reports.

So can I - I can even see him playing a couple of average games for another A League club and people claiming that we therefore missed out on the next Socceroos Right Back.

Edited by cadete
  • Like 2

I can see him ending up at Newcastle if he keeps up the strong performances. Stubbins would be all over the VPL and will no doubt be getting regular reports.

So can I - I can even see him playing a couple of average games for another A League club and people claiming that we therefore missed out on the next Socceroos Right Back.

Yep. Would much rather Hoffman. He has heaps of upside and potential.

Yep. Would much rather Hoffman. He has heaps of upside and potential.

I don't want either TBH.

My point is more about how Heart Fans have a tendency to pump up the tyres of any young players whose thrown into a role as a Fullback and plays a couple of above average games. PPL need to remember that Full Back is not the hardest position on the ground to look alright at in a couple of games.

Marrone was going to conquer Italy  - He now lives in Adelaide... not exactly Italy.

Aziz was going to a LB for the Socceroos and conquer Turkey - He was not even in our top five players last year and personally cost us goals more than once.

Goodwin was a Heart star of the future - He now sits on the bench at a dying football club in the hustle and bustle of Newcastle.

Jezza was the next big thing for Hearts S4 and voted as MOTM several times in S3- Was not sighted again under JA or JVS who even gave Tandos a go.

I just hope that Ben Garuccio doesn't end up going down the same path.

Edited by cadete
  • Like 1

So can I - I can even see him playing a couple of average games for another A League club and people claiming that we therefore missed out on the next Socceroos Right Back. Yep. Would much rather Hoffman. He has heaps of upside and potential.

I don't want either TBH.

My point is more about how Heart Fans have a tendency to pump up the tyres of any young players whose thrown into a role as a Fullback and plays a couple of above average games. PPL need to remember that Full Back is not the hardest position on the ground to look alright at in a couple of games.

Marrone was going to conquer Italy - He now lives in Adelaide... not exactly Italy.

Aziz was going to a LB for the Socceroos and conquer Turkey - He was not even in our top five players last year and personally cost us goals more than once.

Goodwin was a Heart star of the future - He now sits on the bench at a dying football club in the hustle and bustle of Newcastle.

Jezza was the next big thing for Hearts S4 and voted as MOTM several times in S3- Was not sighted again under JA or JVS who even gave Tandos a go.

I just hope that Ben Garuccio doesn't end up going down the same path. Although not full backs, Eli Babalj and Brendan Hamill have done next to nothing as well.

Curtis Good has probably done the best our of the lot and he isn't exactly setting the world on fire.

So can I - I can even see him playing a couple of average games for another A League club and people claiming that we therefore missed out on the next Socceroos Right Back. Yep. Would much rather Hoffman. He has heaps of upside and potential. I don't want either TBH.

Marrone was going to conquer Italy - He now lives in Adelaide... not exactly Italy.

I just hope that Ben Garuccio doesn't end up going down the same path. Although not full backs, Eli Babalj and Brendan Hamill have done next to nothing as well.

Curtis Good has probably done the best our of the lot and he isn't exactly setting the world on fire.

Well attempting to play CF in Holland, CB in the UK and CB in China is a lot harder than attempting be a Winger at the Newcastle Jets or in Walker's case beat Roffman for the RB spot at Melbourne Bloody Heart.

Edited by cadete