Melbourne Football

Season 23/24 - Round 8 - Melbourne City v CCM Sunday 17th 5:00 pm

Le Hack

Another test to see where we are at. CCM like us started poorly but seem to have got on a roll the last couple of weeks. This could be anything but if we want to stay in contention it's a must win. CCM will have a days less rest from their ACL game. Would like to know if Leckie and Maclaren deemed fit enough for the game

8 hours ago, Le Hack said:

Another test to see where we are at. CCM like us started poorly but seem to have got on a roll the last couple of weeks. This could be anything but if we want to stay in contention it's a must win. CCM will have a days less rest from their ACL game. Would like to know if Leckie and Maclaren deemed fit enough for the game

Not only a days less rest, but they are coming back from Philippines as well! They are going to be a lot more fatigued than us and we simply must win!

3 hours ago, MHFC-FAN said:

Not only a days less rest, but they are coming back from Philippines as well! They are going to be a lot more fatigued than us and we simply must win!

They rested half their team, Tulio, Nisbet, Hall and Vukavic all played the 90, the rest were either rested or subbed on.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Le Hack said:

Leckie hamstring and Maclaren ankle ruled out of Socceroos, so probably not playing this game. I'd like to see Caputo start but I think they may play Natel and Arslan up front

How long has Maclaren been running around with this? Might explain his poor form.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, rayv36 said:

Paddy’s sitting in the stands with Leckie. Come home paddy 

Rumour is we've signed him to bolster the geriatric back line...

1 minute ago, n i k o said:

Wow active support is dead. 

5.30 Sunday is hardly an attractive ko time at this time of year especially.

31 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Rumour is we've signed him to bolster the geriatric back line...

5.30 Sunday is hardly an attractive ko time at this time of year especially.

So you're saying people just can't be bothered to come at 5.30 on a perfect day and their day off. Thats the reason? 

Edited by n i k o

45 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

What is it going to take for us to bench talbolt?????? I don't understand what he offers us?????

I can only think of that Galloway is leaving January. Talbot is a project as we do with most of our fullbacks.

But yeah below par technique and very little footbal intelligence is frustration to watch.

I'm frustrated with how Sahki seems to not understand that he needs to make himself available at all times. He hides and strolls behind his opponent midfielders, all it take is step left or right to give us another passing option - this is anti City game play.  

Edited by Mr MO

7 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

I can only think of that Galloway is leaving January. Talbot is a project as do with our fullbacks.

But yeah below par technique and very little footbal intelligence is frustration to watch.

I'm frustrated with how Sahki seems to not understand that he needs to make himself available at all times. He hides and strolls behind his opponent midfielders, all it take is step left or right to give us another passing option - this is anti City game play.  

We have all sorts of individual weaknesses, but beyond that this does seem a team which is too often less than the sum of its parts.

• Like 1

That was a poor performance and we're a shadow of the teams we've fielded the past few seasons. 

Positives:

We didn't lose at home to the team that's 9th on the ladder

Negatves:

Our defence is slow

We are often shapeless and too open, especially in defensive transitions.

We really lack a quality DM. O'Neill was the pivot that set up all our attacking moves and broke down attacks. Ugarkovic just isn't good enough positionally, defensively or in attack. Sahki and Aslan don't defend, this puts too much pressure on our back line and leaves us too open in the channels when our FBs push up

Maclaren needs some time to recover, let's use Caputo as more than a bench warmer

Edited by belaguttman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

I can only think of that Galloway is leaving January. Talbot is a project as do with our fullbacks.

And Vidmar is at fault for that. Sakhi should have been subbed 30 min before he was. Pathetic coaching. 

And it's the same feeling I've had in 80% of our games. We just have alot of okay players, but don't really have the quality or consistency to be a proper threat over 90 minutes. Natal is the only player I'd say is absolutely rubbish, the rest bar Arslan and a fit Maclaren arnt up to the quality we had in past.

We are going to get smacked next week the way it's looking 

• Sad 2

Very disappointing. As remarked earlier this side isn't fit to carry the boots of some of those from previous seasons, it's going to be a long year at this rate....

Having said that, Arslan is a great player and in one of our previous sides would probably have been a shoo-in for the ALPOY. Late in the second half he looked knackered and as frustrated as all hell though, hopefully he does not start to question what he's doing here and pack up early.

Natel is the exact opposite, waste of a visa and squad spot ATM. Didn't realize Sakhi was playing for much of the second half.

Also no idea what Galloway has done to deserve it, but he has been treated miserably by this club. There is no way he should be behind Talbot for starting Right Back - he was belted all over the park today and has been poor all season.

Next week could be disgusting.

• Like 4

Glad I went to this, it was a very entertaining contest, decent atmosphere too, well done to the small band of active guys who found some voice. Mariners are still a very good team, have a very tenacious pressing game and love being a thorn in our side, so to get the equaliser late in the game was a testament to the boys who continued to play 'til the end. Aziz was a beast, the real heart and soul of the team today, Jakolis had a very good game, very clever skills but tried a bit too hard at times and let Farrell back into their duel. He got the late assist which meant overall he had the honours and I noted how spent he was at games end, a bit annoyed too, he sets the bar pretty high which is fantastic. Ugarkovic dominated Nisbett in the first half but that little guy found space unchallenged and got a lot of easy drives forward, we didn't have the legs to mark him, his last 20 min he did too much damage, we were very naive in how we handled him, not enough leg power as well after SU went off. Our back 4 are a worry, we lack pace and that Colombian guy exposed us bad, Talbott making too many over commitments even though his overall game was okay, just left us vulnerable, Souprayen as well. Mariners looked a bit fresher in the legs, they milked that 'water break' nicely like it was preplanned whilst our guys were very slow to get their drinks in and 3 of them opted for no water at all, I know this sounds trivial but in the heat that little bit of edge needed to be taken. Arslan had some really high level touches today and he's getting a lot better understanding with the likes of Jakolis and Natel. Tullio for them was excellent in patches too but boy he's an annoying character on the field, he's very much their X factor and you could tell they wanted this game bad too, so overall a very high level point earned at home, some clumsy lapses and a lack of leg power gave the opposition a sniff unfortunately, but I'm positive moving forward even though Victory will be a tough contest, I think we played the game out and this holds us in good stead.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This game really  highlighted our lack in pace, Souprayen gets away with it because of his good positioning and is growing on me.

Jakolis is a strange one, he got a goal and assist, but otherwise was pretty ordinary. Arslan was frustrated by him and late in the game around the 60-70 min he didn't want to pass to him, but he does have a knack of producing something and not just back passing.

Probably Natels best game to date, the jink and pass for the first goal was nice, onwards and upwards. I'd like to see that kid get more game time that came on for him.

Caputo looked good when on and that's where he should be playing that false 9 position like I have said previously, I think he should start there before other players.

I think Sakhi looked better as the 6 in previous games and suits him better, but it is a real problem position for us.

Nice to see Lopane our Aussie 19 yr old get a goal.

2 hours ago, Mr MO said:

I can only think of that Galloway is leaving January. Talbot is a project as we do with most of our fullbacks.

Galloway is a mystery, agree re Talbot, was at least partially at fault for the first and third goals against us.

Agree on Sakhi, I'd like to see Caputo start in his place, or even Uga. When he filled in at 6 he did a fairly good job, he's probably our best option right now. Maybe Souprayen could do a job there and Hall or Politidis could be in CB and offer a bit more pace for us there. Souprayens positioning should offer a lot more cover with intercepts, it's maybe his passing that is the question mark.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, kiko said:

Glad I went to this, it was a very entertaining contest, decent atmosphere too, well done to the small band of active guys who found some voice. Mariners are still a very good team, have a very tenacious pressing game and love being a thorn in our side, so to get the equaliser late in the game was a testament to the boys who continued to play 'til the end. Aziz was a beast, the real heart and soul of the team today, Jakolis had a very good game, very clever skills but tried a bit too hard at times and let Farrell back into their duel. He got the late assist which meant overall he had the honours and I noted how spent he was at games end, a bit annoyed too, he sets the bar pretty high which is fantastic. Ugarkovic dominated Nisbett in the first half but that little guy found space unchallenged and got a lot of easy drives forward, we didn't have the legs to mark him, his last 20 min he did too much damage, we were very naive in how we handled him, not enough leg power as well after SU went off. Our back 4 are a worry, we lack pace and that Colombian guy exposed us bad, Talbott making too many over commitments even though his overall game was okay, just left us vulnerable, Souprayen as well. Mariners looked a bit fresher in the legs, they milked that 'water break' nicely like it was preplanned whilst our guys were very slow to get their drinks in and 3 of them opted for no water at all, I know this sounds trivial but in the heat that little bit of edge needed to be taken. Arslan had some really high level touches today and he's getting a lot better understanding with the likes of Jakolis and Natel. Tullio for them was excellent in patches too but boy he's an annoying character on the field, he's very much their X factor and you could tell they wanted this game bad too, so overall a very high level point earned at home, some clumsy lapses and a lack of leg power gave the opposition a sniff unfortunately, but I'm positive moving forward even though Victory will be a tough contest, I think we played the game out and this holds us in good stead.

I ran out of "likes" but I'd give you one for this positive piece amongst all the negativity on this forum...

• Like 3