Melbourne Football

Sack Vidmar

TheStig

1 hour ago, TheStig said:

Hmm Just looking at Vidmar's record with Melbourne City so far. We haven't won a game under him so far which is very, very poor. I expect a significant improvement from the team or 2 weeks from now the knives will be out again.

The Stig

He's still undefeated but, gotta admit that's not bad? 😅

• Like 1

Interesting, I just heard about it.

He was pretty defensive with his time at AU, but as Petrillo said there's a certain style that can't be compromised on, so it will be interesting to see what he does. Looking at his time in Thailand, he seems to have done well and he should get the guys raring to go.

I'm pretty surprised in a way, didn't expect things to happen so quick, or for it to be Vidmar. I hope it goes well.

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Early days but it doesn't seem that anyone will be left wondering what Aurelio thinks - he's going to tell it like it is.

Facially he reminds me very much of JvS!

Always refreshing.

Perhaps it’s jus me it is a contract to end of year or end of season?

2 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Always refreshing.

Perhaps it’s jus me it is a contract to end of year or end of season?

As I read it, it is for this season. Then they will sit down and review and see where to go from there. That's the intent. Of course it will be reviewed after every match - that's the way football is - and that's the way the fans will review it too. 

It's going to be extremely interesting to see hereafter whether there is any discernable change to the way we play - not the possession - but whether we can accelerate things, move the ball forward, and actually score goals. We've become almost a parody of the "City way" - can Vidmar change the mindset? One telling point that many of us may be overlooking, but has been mentioned - pretty much the same result but with two very different sets of players. I don't underestimate the task ahead for Vidmar. He's made things pretty clear - it's performance based - the club has every resource it could possibly want available to it and so players will have to perform to expectation or they won't be playing.

I liked how he said the table is upside down. Unintentional dig at the tards belonging to the bottom of the table. 

Made me nervous when he said that we need to return back to being a possession based team, seeing as we had 60% possession against Adelaide. 

But overall I like how he speaks. 

13 hours ago, jw1739 said:

As I read it, it is for this season. Then they will sit down and review and see where to go from there. That's the intent. Of course it will be reviewed after every match - that's the way football is - and that's the way the fans will review it too. 

Precisely what everyone knew they should have done with Rado. I like this pragmatic approach. 

4 hours ago, n i k o said:

I liked how he said the table is upside down. Unintentional dig at the tards belonging to the bottom of the table. 

Made me nervous when he said that we need to return back to being a possession based team, seeing as we had 60% possession against Adelaide. 

But overall I like how he speaks. 

Precisely what everyone knew they should have done with Rado. I like this pragmatic approach. 

The dig may not be unintenional. There was a fair bit of animosity between Adelaide and Victiry during his time there as both coach and assistant coach.

Surely the club won't be as stupid as they were this time around when it comes to signing a permanent coach as they did with Rado.. still can't believe they signed Rado on after what was it 7 games? Bloke inherited the best squad possible and then got absolutely outclassed at the end of the season when it counted.. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

Suspect we'll need to clear out as best we can in January. But this season is a dead loss already.

No way we can "clear out" unless players agree to mutually terminate their contracts. And then where does the money come from to replace them - AFAIK payouts still count for the cap.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Zanty said:

Although they should deserve some critique for this season think saying they should be sacked is harsh with how well of a job they have done over the past 3-4 years

I think that this is an indication how far the club and it's fans have come from the Heart days. Making mistakes in recruiting and list management of this magnitude deserves the public flogging.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NewConvert said:

I think that this is an indication how far the club and it's fans have come from the Heart days. Making mistakes in recruiting and list management of this magnitude deserves the public flogging.

Perhaps there is a sense of complacency with Pertrillo, Poole, and within the club.

We looked at our best in the 2020/2021 covid season when the league was at it weakest. It's been a little less for us every season when including finals whilst other teams needed a season or two to recover again. In the mean time other teams seem to have strengtened up by now. 

Perhaps if you are stuck in the past without acknowledging how and why you peaked in the first place, keep repeating the same blue print with attempting like for like players - then you end up wondering why things don't work, keep saying to yourself that our ''list is fine'' just like some of our fans.

Looking at how other teams can recruit, find gems and bring in talented younger players - I'm not convinced Petrillo and Poole are anything special.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

Non ironically bumping this thread.

This guy has no fucking idea.

100% want him out. Hes a fucking spastic

Well, Rado left because he concluded he couldn't get anywhere with this squad. Vidmar hasn't made an impact, because he has no room to move. The squad simply isn't up to it and there's no-one on the Academy challenging for a place.

Sad days. Club has no backbone.

1 minute ago, moops said:

I don't know, some of the players we have are well below par, Guardiola would struggle and as he says he hasn't really had a chance to hit the training ground.

But as he said himself, players don't forget how to play football overnight.5-6 months into a season and the "training ground" reason is pretty much an excuse IMO.

IMO Petrillo carries a significant portion of accountability by his poor recruiting.

Vidmar has accepted a poisoned chalice.

Time for another coach as there is nothing wrong this squad.

5 minutes ago, moops said:

I don't know, some of the players we have are well below par, Guardiola would struggle and as he says he hasn't really had a chance to hit the training ground.

There aren't below par, they just aren't good enough for the top level in Asia. You see that at decisions making, reading the game and most importanly ball skills.

4 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

But as he said himself, players don't forget how to play football overnight.5-6 months into a season and the "training ground" reason is pretty much an excuse IMO.

IMO Petrillo carries a significant portion of accountability by his poor recruiting.

Vidmar has accepted a poisoned chalice.

Yeah I think Petrillo needs to take more blame than Vidmar.

4 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Time for another coach as there is nothing wrong this squad.

There aren't below par, they just aren't good enough for the top level in Asia. You see that at decisions making, reading the game and most importanly ball skills.

Some not good enough to be visa players in the A League either.