Melbourne Football

Season 2023/24

mattyh001

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Yesterday I was looking at our congested fixture once the A-League starts - ridiculous. 
21/10 - A-League H
25/10 - ACL A
28/10- A-League A
3/11 -ACL H
8/11 - A-League H

Completely agree that the season has to be three rounds (as it used to be). And observe ACL breaks.

As for the expansion - well I am of the view that it is counter-productive to bring in teams from New Zealand. Fine if we were both in the same Confederation, but we're not. In an extreme case we could find NZ teams 1st and 2nd in the Premiership and so we'd be playing our 3rd and 4th teams in the AFC tournaments!

As for Canberra - what's the point of admitting a "club" to the league if it has to "find" and owner before it even enters? It isn't going to last long at that rate.

I think Auckland makes sense. Creates a derby with Nix. AFC needs to be looked separately as it depends on how Australian teams go as to ether they play the champions league like City or the league cup like CCM and Macarthur this year. If City progress far into the Champions league, Australia will be given another spot if not then may lose the spot and all back in the league cup. As such the representative(s) could be changed at the whim of AFC and APL and FFA anyway so not a big problem if in the unlikely case that one or both NZ teams win

• Like 1

2 hours ago, citypool said:

Why couldn't the APL fixture the clubs competing in the Asian tournaments with more rest? 

For eg: if you play a midweek away game then your next A-League game would be midweek the following week. Then a few days back up with a weekend A-League game. That way it allows decent recovery and better quality game.

The midweek home ACL etc could probably back up on the weekend against an A-League side as there will be no time wasted in travelling. 

My thoughts anyway...

37 minutes ago, MHFC-FAN said:

Why couldn't the APL fixture the clubs competing in the Asian tournaments with more rest? 

The answer is that there's no reason whatsoever except that APL is a bunch of fuckwits. Sorry, but it's just the way I feel. I'd like to know how much Garcia gets paid to come back to the clubs and therefore the players, club staff and fans in that inflexible manner.

Have a look at the bloodsuckers feeding off the game of football in this country. Tell me WTF they do for 40 hours per week 48 weeks per year. https://aplfootball.com.au/our-business/leadership-team/

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

The answer is that there's no reason whatsoever except that APL is a bunch of fuckwits. Sorry, but it's just the way I feel. I'd like to know how much Garcia gets paid to come back to the clubs and therefore the players, club staff and fans in that inflexible manner.

Have a look at the bloodsuckers feeding off the game of football in this country. Tell me WTF they do for 40 hours per week 48 weeks per year. https://aplfootball.com.au/our-business/leadership-team/

It's not just them FIFA is screwing up the world cup uefa the champions league.The sporting is taking a nose dive around the world 

9 hours ago, Le Hack said:

I think Auckland makes sense. Creates a derby with Nix. AFC needs to be looked separately as it depends on how Australian teams go as to ether they play the champions league like City or the league cup like CCM and Macarthur this year. If City progress far into the Champions league, Australia will be given another spot if not then may lose the spot and all back in the league cup. As such the representative(s) could be changed at the whim of AFC and APL and FFA anyway so not a big problem if in the unlikely case that one or both NZ teams win

IMO you're misusing the term "derby." It's actually around 1 hour flying time between Wellington and Auckland, and around 640 km by road. Hardly a derby in my book anyway.

12 hours ago, IssySG said:

Anyone else feeling particularly lethargic for the season ahead?

I feel life as lethargic overall. I should do something, but I'm to lazy 🤪

It seems other teams have recruited well, I don't think we'll be top and it should be fun to watch.

A-LEAGUE MEN’S UPDATED FIXTURE DETAILS 

Round 2: Adelaide United v Melbourne City FC 

Sunday 29 October, 7:30pm KO (AEDT) 

Coopers Stadium 

Note: Previously Saturday 28 October, 7:45pm KO (AEDT). 

Round 4: Melbourne City FC v Macarthur FC 

Sunday 12 November, 3:00pm KO 

AAMI Park 

Note: Previously Saturday 11 November, 5:30pm KO. ALW will now KO at 5:45pm, post the ALM fixture. 

Round 6: Newcastle Jets v Melbourne City FC 

Sunday 3 December, 5:00pm KO 

McDonald Jones Stadium 

Note: Previously Saturday 2 December, 5:30pm KO. 

Round 7: Perth Glory v Melbourne City FC 

Friday 8 December, 9:45pm KO (AEDT) 

HBF Park 

Note: Previously Saturday 9 December, 9:45 KO (AEDT)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I see from a City email (and we're "excited" about it) we've reverted to the traditional GF venue and introduced a "Unite Round" for the regular season - now 27 matches.

https://keepup.com.au/news/a-leagues-grand-final-nsw-government-unite-round/

"Melbourne City’s ‘Unite Round’ lines up two stellar clashes against Western Sydney Wanderers which commences on Friday 13 January when our City Men take on the Wanderers, before our City Women match up against the Wanderers on Sunday 14 January, both at Commbank Stadium.

As a result of the ‘Unite Round’ fixture, the Isuzu UTE A-League Men’s Round 12 home clash against the Wanderers, originally scheduled for Saturday 13 January will be rescheduled to an alternate date yet to be confirmed."

Oddly enough it's my wife who gets these emails. I don't even though I'm the Foundation Member. Perhaps they've given up on me...

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, moops said:

Watching WSW v WU really shows how poor we were, it could be a rough season ahead, I'm not confident at all away to Adelaide.

I just saw that - 5-0 at half time. I maintain that two of our problems are lack of forward momentum and failure to take chances. The game is about scoring goals, not possession. The third is that we don't seem to have any hot prospects coming up from the Academy.

Edited by jw1739

19 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I just saw that - 5-0 at half time. I maintain that two of our problems are lack of forward momentum and failure to take chances. The game is about scoring goals, not possession. The third is that we don't seem to have any hot prospects coming up from the Academy.

Yeah, we seem to be happy for the opposition to reset their defence before we go forward, we don't look to counter at all and I'm not sure we have the midfield to play the tiki taka. Though on the third I think we have a few good prospects, Rado just doesn't want to chance it.

We also lack anyone with pace, Jets and Perth will be very dangerous for us.

9 minutes ago, citypool said:

What's peoples thoughts on the crowds we pull at aami park? Does it matter does it not matter? 

It shows we are engaging or building our attendances as crowds haven't grown at all. Particularly disappointing given how good we have been the past 3 seasons. 

Feel our average fan is a bit too fair weather and even losing one game puts them off going the following week...

Just now, NewConvert said:

It matters. They create an atmosphere which can be heard on the TV. Contrast that with any sport played during the COVID lock downs and no crowd.

Yeah, IMO it matters. It's a measure of interest in the club, not just "fans" but of the community generally, and the latter will reflect in media coverage - a bit of a vicious circle. I always look and see how many people are in the corporate boxes as a measure.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, citypool said:

Well is it a worry we only brought in 5k on Friday night? I really enjoy this club and watching them play but If we're struggling to hit 10k and we're even going backwards what's the future for this club? 

It doesn't help when half the PT system is in "interrupt mode" all the time. Level crossing removal on the Frankston line is going to interrupt services until at least 2029!! I have two lines available to me - Sandringham and Frankston. Sometimes both are on interrupt at the same time!

However, I'd suggest that the future is secure because of CFG ownership. It's a big plus, despite the minuses.

1 hour ago, citypool said:

What's peoples thoughts on the crowds we pull at aami park? Does it matter does it not matter? 

Yeh it matters. Doesnt detract from the viewing spectacle but we fall short on atmosphere created. This is probably the worst I've seen it in 13 years supporting this club. Active is next to non existence except for the 20 or 30 that come and are actively involved, and our overall numbers are pretty dismal. Corporate is probably the only area that we excel at as its usually pretty full. It looks pretty bleak going forward because the club has acheived so much over the lat few years. I can only wonder how having a small stadium that is close to selling out each time would affect people interest in attending. The spectacle on the field is just as important as the one off it for many people. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, n i k o said:

Yeh it matters. Doesnt detract from the viewing spectacle but we fall short on atmosphere created. This is probably the worst I've seen it in 13 years supporting this club. Active is next to non existence except for the 20 or 30 that come and are actively involved, and our overall numbers are pretty dismal. Corporate is probably the only area that we excel at as its usually pretty full. It looks pretty bleak going forward because the club has acheived so much over the lat few years. I can only wonder how having a small stadium that is close to selling out each time would affect people interest in attending. The spectacle on the field is just as important as the one off it for many people. 

I agree. A 10,000 seater would be perfect. Good enough for Luton and Bournemouth after all. Who cares whether away supporters can get tickets. Doesn't need to be fancy either. Do as the Yanks do - bring in the hot-dog stalls etc. on matchday - don't need to be built in.

• Like 1

And on a different point - Carl Veart the AU manager claimed that Alex King, the ref for the MVC vs AU game, told him that he did not award Irankunda because Irankunda needed to be stronger. I find this utterly disturbing. I always thought that the ref was there to apply the rules of the game not to judge the character of a player. That should be Veart's job (in part). I can accept that sometimes the ref may miss a foul, I can accept that sometimes a ref may say that it would have been a soft foul to award. But for a ref to determine that a player should be stronger? Alex King should not referee another game.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, NewConvert said:

And on a different point - Carl Veart the AU manager claimed that Alex King, the ref for the MVC vs AU game, told him that he did not award Irankunda because Irankunda needed to be stronger. I find this utterly disturbing. I always thought that the ref was there to apply the rules of the game not to judge the character of a player. That should be Veart's job (in part). I can accept that sometimes the ref may miss a foul, I can accept that sometimes a ref may say that it would have been a soft foul to award. But for a ref to determine that a player should be stronger? Alex King should not referee another game.

We had the exact same issue with Arzani back in 2018, I still remember the semi we played against Newcastle he got hacked down in the box and there was no penalty because Shaun Evans said "he is known for going down too easily".

I get the feeling teams will put an expirenced defender who isnt that important eg Connor Chapman to Irankunda and try and disrupt him any way possible, refs need to be onto this 

31 minutes ago, NewConvert said:

IMO we should hear both sides before judging. King may have said that Irankunda "goes down too easily" and Veart has used a different phrase. I think that if the referee judges that the player is simply falling over at the slightest touch then he's entitled to wave play on. It is a physical game and players are allowed to tackle; it's not necessarily a foul if a player falls over.

IMO players bring their reputation with them into every game.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

IMO we should hear both sides before judging. King may have said that Irankunda "goes down too easily" and Veart has used a different phrase. I think that if the referee judges that the player is simply falling over at the slightest touch then he's entitled to wave play on. It is a physical game and players are allowed to tackle; it's not necessarily a foul if a player falls over.

IMO players bring their reputation with them into every game.

He didn't go down. On both situations he was held by the shirt till stretched. And it wasn't Chapman, it was Ikonomides. Archie Thomson also bagged King for both. In any case, what would be your opinion if Veart quoted King accurately?

3 hours ago, NewConvert said:

He didn't go down. On both situations he was held by the shirt till stretched. And it wasn't Chapman, it was Ikonomides. Archie Thomson also bagged King for both. In any case, what would be your opinion if Veart quoted King accurately?

Welcome to the real world Irankunda, sometimes you get things gifted to you that you don't deserve and sometimes you get unfairly dealt with.

That's life.

Veart should concentrate on getting the kid's head right.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, NewConvert said:

I don't think Veart should be openly criticising a referee anyway. AFAIK there's a way of dealing with complaints. There's also a referees panel and IIRC it is quite common for them to focus on particular aspects of the game as it is being currently played.

I have always regarded the officials as part of the game. It is a difficult task just like being a referee or umpire in any situation. The game is played in real time, not on a computer, and that's why I object to video-assisted refereeing (VAR). IMO right and wrong calls are part of the game.

19 hours ago, MHFC-FAN said:

It shows we are engaging or building our attendances as crowds haven't grown at all. Particularly disappointing given how good we have been the past 3 seasons. 

Feel our average fan is a bit too fair weather and even losing one game puts them off going the following week...

I actually don't think it's primarily the fans at fault. What we have is an entertainment product. I feel it all starts with the club. If they actively promoted themselves and delivered an entertaining atmosphere this would attract more spectators. More spectators gives more atmosphere and attracts more spectators - and here we go.

10 hours ago, mjake1234 said:

I actually don't think it's primarily the fans at fault. What we have is an entertainment product. I feel it all starts with the club. If they actively promoted themselves and delivered an entertaining atmosphere this would attract more spectators. More spectators gives more atmosphere and attracts more spectators - and here we go.

IMO there is no simple answer, and that lower attendances are the result of many factors, mis-steps by Football Australia, APL, clubs including our own, and Melbourne and Olympic Parks Trust (MOTP), by COVID, by cost-of-living and transport problems, by changed interests of fans themselves etc.

If I go though a list of these of these mis-steps I'll be pounded for being negative by my usual critics on here, but fundamentally I question whether football is simply "entertainment" because I don't think it is - IMO it's much more a spectator sport where the spectators want to have a sense of belonging and a sense of involvement, not something where you are the consumer of a product and if you buy it you just sit and watch and applaud at the end of the show.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 3

On 06/11/2023 at 10:48 AM, citypool said:

I was a season ticket holder between I think 2011 to 2017, attended most games with a group of about 7 or 8 of my mates. The Joyce era killed that for us. None of us are season ticket holders anymore but we've gone to the odd game since PK took over as a group, a derby or Sunday arvo game if it suits. Maybe it's because I'm older and my priorities have changed. Maybe it's much harder to justify spending money right now on a club that frankly doesn't need it (or appreciate it) nearly as much as I do. 

I still watch most games on TV these days and still feel as engaged as I ever have, Joyce era excluded. Not sure what it would take to get myself or my friends back in the stands regularly. Maybe when our kids are a bit older and if the economy hasn't blown itself up. 

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...