Melbourne Football

Tim Cahill

Murfy1

36 minutes ago, morphine said:

If this was Victory, you'd all be up in arms. I hope no one is proud of this?

Huh? 

Victory rorted the rules successfully to get Carlos Hernandez and Marvin Angulo on loan. They were then granted exemptions for players who'd played a long length of time to have portions of there salary cap paid outside of the regular salary cap (after Brisbane were denied the right to make a similar exception to keep players at their club whom they developled). They paid Tom Rogic the minimum A-League wage ($50,000) after paying Celtic a fee of 5 times that. The idea that Victory isn't every bit as bad as us is laughable.

5 hours ago, jeffplz said:

Still think they fucked up the announcement, why would they use that selfie? lol

I reckon there hand was forced by the little bits and pieces leaking out, they had to get ontop of it and announced like they did. 

45 minutes ago, morphine said:

If this was Victory, you'd all be up in arms. I hope no one is proud of this?

Guarantee Sydney FC where the first to be talked to about this and were probably begged, just like the CFG takeover of heart and FFA wanting/begging Sydney owners to sell up. I think what goes around comes around and its about effin time it came around. PROUD AS PUNCH that we as a club be it Heart or City finally get a good crack at being a big club, obviously it would have been great to see Heart be a great big club but it never got the chance after 5 year headstart to the team across town. 

31 minutes ago, Tommykins said:

Huh? 

Victory rorted the rules successfully to get Carlos Hernandez and Marvin Angulo on loan. They were then granted exemptions for players who'd played a long length of time to have portions of there salary cap paid outside of the regular salary cap (after Brisbane were denied the right to make a similar exception to keep players at their club whom they developled). They paid Tom Rogic the minimum A-League wage ($50,000) after paying Celtic a fee of 5 times that. The idea that Victory isn't every bit as bad as us is laughable.

My point exactly. You are saying we are the same as Victory. 

Alarm bells ringing surely?

23 minutes ago, morphine said:

My point exactly. You are saying we are the same as Victory. 

Alarm bells ringing surely?

It's interesting. Your attitude is very much a reflection of the Australian Anglo culture where street smarts are considered unsportsmen but are well within the rules. What has the club actually done wrong besides work and yes perhaps stretch the system to get what they want? Technically they haven't broken any rules, so where's the beef? 

21 minutes ago, n i k o said:

It's interesting. Your attitude is very much a reflection of the Australian Anglo culture where street smarts are considered unsportsmen but are well within the rules. What has the club actually done wrong besides work and yes perhaps stretch the system to get what they want? Technically they haven't broken any rules, so where's the beef? 

They haven't done anything wrong, per se. As you say, maybe 'stretching the rules' is more apt. Regardless, it's the type of behaviour we've all whinged about for years with Sydney FC. As soon as we do something similar though, most people turn all smug and laugh about it whilst lauding it. To me that's ultra hypocritical and it's the prime reason I hate Sydney and Victory. So to act the same as them is concerning at best, and unforgivable at worst. 

• Like 1

i cant believe it.

i was at work and needed to go to the toilet, i sat down and got out my phone and played clash of clans and then i thought i should check facebook.

and what happened next was crazy. i shat myself because tim cahill was coming to our club.

and believe me this is a true story.

iam so excited about our team and also excited about the future of this great game.

cant wait for the season to start.

1 hour ago, morphine said:

They haven't done anything wrong, per se. As you say, maybe 'stretching the rules' is more apt. Regardless, it's the type of behaviour we've all whinged about for years with Sydney FC. As soon as we do something similar though, most people turn all smug and laugh about it whilst lauding it. To me that's ultra hypocritical and it's the prime reason I hate Sydney and Victory. So to act the same as them is concerning at best, and unforgivable at worst. 

I disagree. I don't have the timeline in front of me, but IIRC the FFA "marquee slush fund" was announced some time ago and announced to all clubs simultaneously - I think it was the result of a meeting in May(?) at which the clubs pushed for several concessions from FFA including a third marquee position. The "season-long marquee guest player" was a compromise agreed to by FFA. Again IIRC we asked whether Bruno's elevation to marquee status could be subsidised from the slush fund, and this was declined by FFA because Bruno does not have sufficient "star quality."

So we've acted on Tim Cahill at all times within existing rules. The opportunity we have taken with Cahill has been open to all the other clubs at the same time. And still is.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, silverdust said:

i cant believe it.

i was at work and needed to go to the toilet, i sat down and got out my phone and played clash of clans and then i thought i should check facebook.

and what happened next was crazy. i shat myself because tim cahill was coming to our club.

and believe me this is a true story.

iam so excited about our team and also excited about the future of this great game.

cant wait for the season to start.

tmi-critter.jpg

• Like 4

I already know 5 football fans on my indoor team who couldn't give a shit about the A-League that are interested in going to a game because of Cahill.

In the Heart days I would have been scared to bring them in the fear of losing them forever, but since we re-signed Fornaroli the other day I'm pretty confident things will work out :up: 

9 hours ago, Torn Asunder said:

You know that there is something wrong with the comp when you have to create a rule to enable the most famous and most marketable Socceroo of all time to be signed by a club. 

There was nothing stopping clubs from signing him without the rule in place. 

1 hour ago, hedaik said:

There was nothing stopping clubs from signing him without the rule in place. 

You are right, but I suggest that the restrictions put in place by FFA that limited the clubs ability to make a return on a significant player investment stopped clubs signing big name players as a standard practice.

CFG definitely ensured that certain changes occurred to free up some of these limitations before they signed Cahill

Edited by Torn Asunder

How Melbourne City landed Tim Cahill

August 12, 2016

By Ray Gatt

The heating was on but it did nothing to hide the frostiness in the air as Tim Cahill and Football Federation Australia chief executive David Gallop sat down over a coffee at Sydney’s InterContinental hotel on a brisk June day.

To his credit, Gallop knew what had to be done and had initiated the peace meeting, hoping to sort out issues that had developed between the two earlier in the year.

They had been involved in an ugly war of words via the media in February after Chinese club Shanghai Shenhua opted not to re-sign Cahill, a decision that sparked reports Australia’s greatest player might be lured to the A-League.

Gallop had suggested there had been moves to sign him but they had been knocked back because the A-League “could not meet his needs”. Cahill, who had criticised the league for lacking ­vision several weeks earlier, vehemently denied this via social media.

Early in June, Cahill issued a challenge “to the big boss man” (Gallop) to make him an offer.

The relationship had reached an impasse that was hurting the game. But now the two finally had the chance to talk face-to-face on the eve of Australia’s friendly against Greece. Insiders suggest the atmosphere was “initially very icy” but eventually they sorted out their differences.

Gallop went on to issue a statement several days later, saying: “I obviously regret that my comments in February were taken as a criticism of him and the whole thing became the subject of so much commentary.

“Tim and I had a chance to catch up. Firstly, it was a chance for me to reiterate that it would be fantastic to have Tim playing in the A-League. Whatever decision he next takes, he told me the door is not closed to the A-League and won’t be while ever he is still playing football. He did not intend to so strongly criticise the competition but rather demonstrate his passion and ambition for Australian football.”

The healing process was finally completed yesterday when it was announced that Cahill was coming home to play with Melbourne City in the A-League, having signed a lucrative $4.5 million a season deal for the next two years.

Unknown to most, the wheels had started turning sometime in May when Melbourne City officials and Cahill first made contact.

The Australian exclusively broke that story on June 7, revealing City were making a play for Cahill, before revealing 10 days later a deal had all but been done.

With the deal evolving quickly, FFA and City needed to sort out the marquee situation at the club. Under A-League rules, clubs are permitted to sign only two marquees. They can also sign a guest player but for 14 games only.

City already had plans to upgrade star striker Bruno Fornaroli to marquee status and had apparently agreed to terms to sign a yet unnamed marquee. An attempt was made to convince the A-League clubs to allow for a third marquee but that was rejected.

As a compromise, FFA, desperate to get Cahill not just for his profile but to help with negotiations for a new broadcast deal, suggested the guest player rule be changed to allow for a player to stay for the entire season.

This would be for one season only. In effect, it was still a third marquee but the clubs, some reluctantly, agreed to the change.

The door was now open for City to get their man and the club, backed by the power City Football Group, which also owns the Manchester City and New York City clubs, was never going to accept no for an answer.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/football/aleague-how-melbourne-city-landed-tim-cahill/news-story/89e528420523a2619395c07fd9903bcd

Tim Cahill could make Melbourne City debut in FFA Cup clash

12 August 2016 

The odds of Tim Cahill making his Australian club debut in a suburban park in Brisbane have shortened.

Cahill’s new club Melbourne City have been handed an FFA Cup round of 16 match away to Brisbane Strikers on August 24 at Perry Park in Bowen Hills.

The date is free of Socceroos commitments, meaning Cahill will be available to play the former National Soccer League club.

Unless City coach John van ’t Schip opts to spare Cahill the trip to Queensland, his selection will come down to fitness.

The 36-year-old signed for City on Thursday and will link up with the club on Monday, nine days before the FFA Cup tie.

Cahill has been without a club for a month after leaving Chinese Super League club Hangzhou Greentown but is a notorious fitness freak, making a debut possible.

On Thursday, Strikers chief executive Bruce Dinsdale said he would be surprised if Cahill headed north.

“I would have thought they’d give him a couple of weeks to get into it. But hopefully he comes – it’d be fantastic,” he told AAP.

“Tim Cahill is a hero everywhere he goes. The boys are looking forward to it, they’re rapt. They’re pretty excited to test themselves.”

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/aug/12/tim-cahill-melbourne-city-debut-ffa-cup-clash

Tim Cahill to take pay cut of more than $3m in his second season with Melbourne City

David Davutovic

13 August 2016

TIM Cahill will take a $3 million-plus pay cut in his second season with Melbourne City.

The Socceroos legend, who arrives in Melbourne on Sunday and starts training with City on Monday, has been rewarded with a deal in excess of $3.5 million in his debut season with the club.

The Sunday Herald Sun can reveal that Cahill will move inside the salary cap in season two, meaning his 2017-18 salary is likely to be worth less than $400,000.

The combined Cahill playing package will be around $4 million — far less than many had speculated — though it’s likely to push $4.5-5 million once the Football Federation Australia subsidy and third-party deals are added.

Cahill, who rejected several other more lucrative offers, is believed to have been enticed by the “player-to-coach pathway” offered to him by City, following in the footsteps of former English Premier League rival Patrick Vieira.

The striker signed a three-year deal that morphs into a coaching role with the City Football Group.

The heavily front-ended Cahill deal is divided in three parts:

— FIRST-year as a multi-million-dollar guest player under the new FFA ruling;

— SECOND year in a heavily reduced deal taking him inside the salary cap;

— THIRD year as a coach with CFG.

The plans mirror the pathway created for former Arsenal and France star Vieira, who finished his career with Manchester City before transitioning into a coaching and ambassadorial role.

Manchester-based Brian Marwood, managing director of City Football Services, was the brainchild of the Vieira plan and said they were excited by Cahill’s potential impact.

“Having Tim join us really builds on the momentum we have created on and off the field over the past two seasons,’’ Marwood said.

“His playing credentials combined with his incredible experience will allow him to make an important and timely contribution to the team.

“The plan to transition Tim to join our coaching team is both significant and exciting. His international experience as a player on four different continents marries perfectly with City Football Group’s unique global footprint.

“Following the player-to-coach pathway of Patrick Vieira, Tim has a real opportunity to develop within City Football Group both on the field and from the touchline.”

The coaching role is yet to be determined, but could be as a senior assistant or youth team coach at Melbourne City, while it’s likely to include education at Manchester City and/or New York City.

MEANWHILE Melbourne City agreed to release midfielder Jacob Melling and defender Jack Clisby to join Western Sydney.

Both expressed a desire to leave the club for more first-team opportunities.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/football/a-league/tim-cahill-to-take-pay-cut-of-more-than-3m-in-his-second-season-with-melbourne-city/news-story/a1ee6a585bdaaf4721a6ee4f06245a64