Melbourne Football

Tim Cahill

Murfy1

9 hours ago, Jimmy said:

Chances of Cahill getting the nod to be Captain this season? I'd say he's the front runner after everything he's said since arriving.

Would much rather Kilkenny. Leave Cahill and Fornaroli to only concentrate on there job on the pitch.

20 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

Was said in jest but in all seriousness i am worried in how we are going to fit both him and bruno on the pitch.

I'm not worried at all. From tonight's performance it is clear that Caceres isn't a starter and Cahill should suit the number 10 role behind Bruno just nicely.

9 hours ago, Jimmy said:

I didn't catch the game. How exactly was Cahill used when he came on? How deep was he? etc. Play maker number 10? more of a false nine? CF with Tuna playing off him?

Very curious to how him and Tuna will fit into the same side.

They interchanged a lot from what I saw. But it was mainly Cahill that was sitting behind Fornaroli. I guess this is how we are going to play, the two of them switching over from a 10 to a 9 during a game.

Edited by Dylan

Tim Cahill on his Melbourne City debut, FFA Cup and return to Australian football

David Davutovic

August 25, 2016

TIM Cahill admitted his Melbourne City debut was never going to be fairytale but was thrilled to come away with a win and some crucial minutes in his legs.

A Bruno Fornaroli penalty brace spared City’s blushes after tree lopper by day and defender by night Greig Henslee put Brisbane Strikers ahead in the first half.

Wingers Nick Fitzgerald and Bruce Kamau won the penalties, with the crowd urging on Cahill to take the second but captain Fornaroli insisted on stepping up.

With the A-League season six weeks away and the Socceroos kicking off their final phase of World Cup qualifiers against Iraq on September 1, Cahill was delighted to play.

“I was never going to be perfect because six weeks off after my last game in China,’’ Cahill said.

“So the last six or seven days after getting off a plane, just smashing the body with two or three sessions a day and then even running after the game.

“It was great to get 30 minutes and be involved but more importantly the win for us was massive because we’ve set goals and this was a big step towards that.

“Being involved was good because I got a taste of it and winning and important Round of 16 games.’’

Right-back Brad Clarke, plucked from National Premier Leagues Victoria side Dandenong City, was handed a senior debut off the bench while Josh Rose and Neil Kilkenny made their first City appearances.

Cahill said it was a great test but vowed it would take time to gel, despite City setting lofty ambitions for this season.

“It was good for us, good for our fitness. Our professionalism and the way we took account of ourselves was impressive,’’ he said.

“We know the standards we have to get to and this is a stepping stone to that and they can be really proud of what they produced.

“We’re going to build a good culture. We’ll be critical of ourselves in-house to make ourselves better and also take care of each other because that’s what good teams do.’’

Cahill’s first Australian domestic game since leaving for England as a teenager drew a sellout 3571 crowd at Perry Park.

“I got to see the magic of the FFA Cup from the sidelines,’’ Cahill said.

“This is the importance of coming home. Spending time, filling out stadiums. This is what football’s all about, when you can grow communities and grassroots, making it bigger and raising awareness, this excites me as much as winning.’’

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/a-league/teams/melbourne-city/tim-cahill-on-his-melbourne-city-debut-ffa-cup-and-return-to-australian-football/news-story/e221b16a8f8de2a976607a954e86ea31

Tim Cahill starts his Melbourne City career with karaoke session in a Brisbane hotel

Marco Monteverde

25 August 2016

[Video of Cahill's karaoke]

THIS was much more than an in-house karaoke session.

Tim Cahill’s rendition of Lean On Me in a Brisbane hotel this week was the Socceroos star’s way of letting his new Melbourne City teammates know they can depend on him to deliver this season.

Cahill made his first Australian club football appearance in 20 years on Wednesday night, coming on as a substitute in City’s 2-1 FFA Cup round-of-16 win over Brisbane Strikers at a sold out Perry Park.

“We’re starting a journey now of something that could be special,” Cahill said.

Seeds were sewn on Tuesday night when as a new member of the City squad, Cahill had to sing in front of his teammates.

Not for the first time in his decorated career, he chose the Bill Withers hit Lean On Me.

“That’s the first song I sung when I was at Everton, when (former teammate) Duncan Ferguson got me on the stage, and this is the way it feels,” he said.

“We’re going to build a good culture at this club … we’re going to be critical of each other in-house to make ourselves better and also take care of each other because that’s what good teams do.

“That’s what we’ve promised ourselves this year, to stay together through thick and thin and (against the Strikers) you’ve seen against a difficult opposition, away, (on) a difficult pitch, that we did that.”

Cahill is next scheduled to be in Queensland when the Roar host City in the A-League on Friday, November 4.

“The A-League’s not all about football. You’ve got to mix it up, when you go away (and) play some tough games,” he said.

The Roar’s preparations for the A-League continue tomorrow night when they meet a Brisbane Premier League Select squad at the Queensland Sport and Athletics Centre.

Roar defender Jade North wants his side to return to winning habits after losses in the FFA Cup to Perth Glory and in trials against Western Sydney Wanderers and Sydney FC.

“There’s not a footballer who doesn’t go into a game not wanting to win, even in trials,” North said.

“We’re expecting the BPL team to give us a tough game. It’s a good chance for a lot of the local players to make an impression against full-time professionals.”

The BPL squad — to be coached by former Roar midfielder Warren Moon — is an under-25 combination with the addition of two older players, Holland Park Hawks’ former Sunderland defender Dan Smith and Peninsula Power’s Brazilian playmaker Andre Bonotto.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/a-league/teams/melbourne-city/tim-cahill-starts-his-melbourne-city-career-with-karaoke-session-in-a-brisbane-hotel/news-story/1fa1f59f444568521adcdf588903885f

Edited by Murfy1

The impact of Cahill on crowds

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/soccer/ffa-cup-canberra-olympic-consider-canberra-stadium-as-venue-if-tim-cahill-comes-to-town-20160825-gr0td0.html
AUGUST 25 2016 - 7:21PM

FFA Cup: Canberra Olympic consider Canberra Stadium as venue if Tim Cahill comes to town

Caden Helmers 

Canberra Stadium has emerged as a potential venue for an FFA Cup blockbuster if Canberra Olympic secures a fixture against Socceroos legend Tim Cahill next month.

The ACT government has indicated it will work with Olympic to explore venue options for the club's next round in the competition after a thrilling 2-0 win against Redlands on Thursday night.

Canberra Olympic's Angelo Konstantinou celebrates scoring a penalty goal against Redlands United.
Canberra Olympic's Angelo Konstantinou celebrates scoring a penalty goal against Redlands United. Photo: Jay Cronan
There is a four in seven chance Olympic will host an A-League club while the opportunity to clash against Cahill and the Melbourne City looms as a real prospect.

Moving a game to Canberra Stadium in front of a possible 10,000 strong crowd would be a massive jump from the few hundred who watch their Capital Football clashes or the 1000 at the win against Redlands at Deakin Stadium.

Cahill's presence has massive pulling power and Viking Park was bursting at the seams two years ago when Tuggeranong United hosted the Melbourne Victory in front of 5150.

Advertisement

If Olympic play against Cahill and Melbourne City, the only venues capable of hosting more than 10,000 fans are Queanbeyan's Seiffert Oval and Canberra Stadium.

The match would have to fit around the Canberra Raiders' NRL schedule if it was moved to Canberra Stadium and security and amenities would need to be taken into consideration.

But ACT Chief Minister Andrew Barr told Fairfax Media he was willing to work with Olympic to see if moving a game to Canberra Stadium was a feasible option.

The ACT government owns Canberra Stadium and it's unlikely Olympic would be able to meet the usual hiring fee.

"But we could have that conversation with them if they felt the crowd was going to exceed the capacity of any other venue in town," Barr said.

"We're open to that, subject to the availability and the condition of it depending on what the Raiders puzzle looks at with the finals."

Olympic is already guaranteed $5000 for making the quarter-finals and gate takings could fill the club's coffers in the next round, with the draw to be finalised on August 30.

The next game would played between September 20 and September 28, which would fit the Canberra Stadium given its the end of the NRL season.

The prospect of hosting Australia's greatest goal scorer in an FFA Cup quarter-final is something Olympic president John Efkarpidis could never have imagined.

"I'm pinching myself, am I dreaming?" Efkarpidis said.

"It would mean a lot for our club. As a club we'll be excited and as players I think the boys are going to be overwhelmed."

If Melbourne City are drawn and Cahill comes to town, the humble stands of Deakin Stadium simply won't cut the mustard.

Efkarpidis said Olympic would consider Canberra Stadium or Seiffert Oval given the pulling power of Cahill and the capital's chance to see a superstar of the game.
"If it's going to be Cahill coming across I don't think Viking Park is going to be big enough," Efkarpidis said. 
"I don't think we're going to get 15,000, but I'm sure we're going to get 10,000. I'm still trying to come to with grips with it."
Efkarpidis laughed the club would be slaving over hot coals to feed a big crowd, calling for souvlaki trucks to come pouring in "from all around the country."
NATIONAL PREMIER LEAGUE
Sunday: Semi-Finals - Belconnen United v Canberra FC at Deakin Stadium, Canberra Olympic v Tigers FC at McKellar Park. All games at 3pm.

It's really noticeable how much the soccer news nationally is now all Cahill and City.  Whatever his impact on the pitch, the buzz this has created off the pitch is phenomenal.  He's probably the only player who could have done this, to put soccer and City on the front pages and in the news bulletins.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cadete said:

In all seriousness the bloke might deserve some flak but nowhere as much as he gets in regards to his relationship with Australian Football.

PPL first had a go at him when he chose New York over here... Personally I dont understand why anyone with a brain would knock back living in bloody New York for a couple of years and getting paid a lot of money to do so. This sounds like an ideal job description to me.

The rationale behind China is harder to understand, but you cant really begrudge a Father choosing to get paid a hell of a lot of money (Something that was only few years ago was never close to existing for players his age) when he knows his career is almost at its end. 

Also finally the guy has done the job for our NT so many bloody times its ridiculous, he kept our entire NT going for at least a year or so who gives a fuck if his only coming back for a lot of money.

All that really matters is that:

1. He is playing for us not them.
  2. He's clearly still a player of good enough standard to start in a Finals Bound A-League Side.
  3.  None of us our paying for him... the Sheik is paying for him so who really gives a fuck if that is why he is here.

Lol i don't have an issue with us signing Cahill. The blokes a bit of a flog on social media but i couldn't care less, as long as he plays well and doesn't fuck up team chemistry.

The only issue i have is how the general public are seeing this as Cahill is "doing this out of the goodness of his heart" or how he's going to "save football in australia" and all this bullshit. Lets be realistic, he's getting paid a ridiculous amount of money (only del piero ever paid more in this league i believe) to come back and do a job for us. And whilst he has done a shitonne for the national team and that i'm sorry but i just feel this move it motivated by money and nothing else. How much would've he been able to get if he stayed overseas realistically? He picked to play here because all his other options were shit.

15 hours ago, kingofhearts said:

Lol i don't have an issue with us signing Cahill. The blokes a bit of a flog on social media but i couldn't care less, as long as he plays well and doesn't fuck up team chemistry.

The only issue i have is how the general public are seeing this as Cahill is "doing this out of the goodness of his heart" or how he's going to "save football in australia" and all this bullshit. Lets be realistic, he's getting paid a ridiculous amount of money (only del piero ever paid more in this league i believe) to come back and do a job for us. And whilst he has done a shitonne for the national team and that i'm sorry but i just feel this move it motivated by money and nothing else. How much would've he been able to get if he stayed overseas realistically? He picked to play here because all his other options were shit.

Welcome to football. If you don't like players changing clubs for the money and quoting different reasons publically then you're going to have a hard time with the sport.

Who fucking cares. 

• Like 2

On 8/26/2016 at 5:02 PM, kingofhearts said:

1. He still had several very good well paid offers to play in China... maybe a bit less than ours but def still lucrative.
  2. Nobody who follows Soccer thinks he is some Saint who has come back to "Save Football in Australia" rather they know that in first place Soccer in Australia has been on the rise for years now and that money is the reason he is coming back.
  3. The only PPL who might think he is doing a good deed would be those who are not Soccer Fans who are exactly who MHFC and MCFC have needed at their games for years... if they had come a few years back then MHFC would still exist.
  4. And like I referred to before with the NT, even if he is coming for Money it is a fact that Tim Cahill is not going to walk out onto a pitch and not give it his all no matter who he is playing for...
Edited by cadete
  • Like 5

6 hours ago, mulhollanddrive said:

http://www.sportingnews.com/au/football/list/secret-agent-cahill-causing-ripples/d6s8aa46xi0z1cv8odhttsqri/slide/1

He better perform, or he and Aloisi can talk to each other about how great and humble and unlucky they are.

I've read some bad secret agent article but this one takes the cake as the worst. The grammar is appauling and the "rumour" is about as 1+1 as you can get 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, thisphantomfortress said:

I've read some bad secret agent article but this one takes the cake as the worst. The grammar is appauling and the "rumour" is about as 1+1 as you can get 

Anything presented in Slide Form with Clickbait around it in my mind seems real legit.

• Like 4