Melbourne Football

Tim Cahill

Murfy1

Just now, Jovan said:

Hasn't done much so far in relative terms with spike in new members. But has atleast generated some interest. 

I don't think we can see any great evidence of membership numbers being influenced by TC so far. We're running at 2000+ above this time last season, but only 770 or so above the previous season (David Villa).
The daily membership counter was not in operation when the signing was announced, but if we assume that the number on the A-League site was correct at the time (6,400) the increase since the announcement (11th August) has been just over 1800 since then.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I don't think we can see any great evidence of membership numbers being influenced by TC so far. We're running at 2000+ above this time last season, but only 770 or so above the previous season (David Villa).
The daily membership counter was not in operation when the signing was announced, but if we assume that the number on the A-League site was correct at the time (6,400) the increase since the announcement (11th August) has been just over 1800 since then.

That's why for me our next 2 maybe 3 games will determine how successful the Cahill signing could be. (Off feild )

On field I'm pretty confident he will excell. And be worthbringing him in.

1 hour ago, Jovan said:

That's why for me our next 2 maybe 3 games will determine how successful the Cahill signing could be. (Off feild )

On field I'm pretty confident he will excell. And be worthbringing him in.

Oh, absolutely. Just on numbers it seems a real struggle for us to attract members and indeed crowds, but I don't think that's because people aren't excited by the players we have and have had, it's a credibility issue with the club because of our results. We broke records last season but threw away silverware and I don't think Joe Public forgets that in a hurry.

9 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Oh, absolutely. Just on numbers it seems a real struggle for us to attract members and indeed crowds, but I don't think that's because people aren't excited by the players we have and have had, it's a credibility issue with the club because of our results. We broke records last season but threw away silverware and I don't think Joe Public forgets that in a hurry.

I think some people are just waiting for a game which screams out contender to them. At this stage defence is the major concern but imo that will settle a bit against A League opposition. It's an incredibly different proposition defending against aerial balls and counter attacks against state league teams than it is against decent opponents.
A decent performance and a win over WSW will go a long way, particularly with a few good results against NQ, Welly and Newy in the leadup. The hype is certainly there this year i reckon, @carlings has signed up half of Ballarat since the Cahill rumours started.

Edited by bt50

2 hours ago, Torn Asunder said:

On Cahill, I hope that JVS is sensible in terms of how he uses him throughout the season.  Based on his age and the toughness of an A-league season, I see no issue with Timmy being used at times as a super sub, just as he was this morning for the Socceroos.

Makes sense.  We'd have an excellent front three to start with Kamau, Bruno and Fitzy.   Great ace to have up our sleeve to be able to throw Tim on for the last 20.  Oppo will fear that, because they know he can make something happen, especially in a tight away match where the home side have parked the bus.

On ‎17‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 5:10 AM, haz said:

Good too see Sorensen taking Jakobson around with him too.

Full group was Cahill, Sorensen, Jakobsen and Franjic. They sat with Shane Delia and Wil Anderson. As a Bulldogs supporter I am more than happy to see the clubs unite. Cahill would make a much better number 1 ticketholder than Julia Gillard.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, The Aardvark said:

Full group was Cahill, Sorensen, Jakobsen and Franjic. They sat with Shane Delia and Wil Anderson. As a Bulldogs supporter I am more than happy to see the clubs unite. Cahill would make a much better number 1 ticketholder than Julia Gillard.

The Bulldog's jumper is red, white and blue. That's our history right there! 

Western burbs of Melbourne and sockha is a natural fit IMO :)

• 2 weeks later...

Revealed: the A-League research that shows why Tim Cahill is more popular than Messi or Ronaldo

Tom Smithies

October 3, 2016

HE is a officially a more popular footballer in Australia than Lionel Messi or Cristiano Ronaldo, and Tim Cahill is the centrepiece of a marketing blitz that football bosses hope will rejuvenate the A-League.

As new research confirms the remarkable cut-through of the Socceroos striker, the A-League campaign launched on Tuesday will seek to engage the huge numbers of adults and children who play football but don’t yet follow a team in Australia.

Ahead of the start of the A-League season on Friday, the same research reveals that of 2.18m Australians who participate in football, only a fraction over 50 per cent follow an A-League team - and that figure falls to 42 per cent for under-15s.

Under the tagline “You’ve gotta have a team”, the campaign will seek to change that using A-League stars including Besart Berisha and Jamie Maclaren - but above all Cahill.

The research by the Gemba Group reveals that using so-called “asset power” - a marketing equation that measures an athlete or celebrity’s awareness and likeability in the eyes of Australian consumers - Cahill has the highest rating of all football athletes, well ahead of Ronaldo and Messi. Cahill scores some 50 per cent more than Ronaldo and 90 per cent higher than Messi.

It also puts Cahill well ahead of other Aussie sports stars including rugby league’s Jonathan Thurston and Australian Test captain Steve Smith, and explains why Football Federation Australia were so keen for Melbourne City to sign the country’s record goalscorer.

“Over the off season we made it clear that Tim Cahill was our number-one priority in bringing in new marquee players through the guest marquee fund, because Tim resonates with kids who play football but haven’t fully engaged with the A-League,” said FFA CEO David Gallop.

“If you think football in Australia you think Tim Cahill and that is particularly true amongst the young kids who play football but don’t have a team. All around Australia we have seen the return of Socceroo players and we’re confident the campaign will continue to grow that connection between the army of football fans and the A-League clubs.”

The campaign also features 10-year-old Yoshi from Sydney, who attended a football gala day last year and became a fan of the game. In the adverts, each A-League club makes a play for his loyalty, with the campaign not just targeting parents seeking a family-friendly sport, but also seeking to engage children and turn them into life-long fans.

Converting the masses who play the game into active supporters has long been seen as the holy grail for football in Australia, and the campaign will play across TV, radio, billboards and digital media.

“It’s designed to bring the two million Australians who engage in football closer to the A-League,” said Gallop. “In every suburb in every state of Australia there are boys and girls who play on weekends, mums and dads who share the experience, players, coaches, referees, parents, sons, daughters, supporters and administrators. It is football’s greatest strength.

“While our strength in numbers is indisputable we are also acutely aware that more than half of kids under the age of 15 who play football or are part of our Football Family do not connect strongly with an A-League club. This is our opportunity.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/revealed-the-aleague-research-that-shows-why-tim-cahill-is-more-popular-than-messi-or-ronaldo/news-story/7e79aa0dafbe472f74c6a5c292100ec1

I think Bruno and TC can play together very well. Cahill played in behind the strikers in his early days at Everton until they stuck him up front because they had no strikers. Actually he is not a great "technical" Number 9 as he doesn't hold the ball up or "present" well to midfielders as a target, tends to run away from the ball carrier a lot. Fornaroli on the other hand is very very good at holding it up and "showing" as an outlet. But Cahill just knows how to score regularly! So I think he is more effective arriving late than trying to win balls in the air with his back to goals.  So hopefully the coaching staff are not stupid enough to mess with Bruno and will just let Cahill play in behind a bit. Looking forward to it. Hopefully they can all just stay fit.  

Edited by dr lime
  • Like 1