Melbourne Football

RD 15 City travel to the Glory Hole

Dylan

24 minutes ago, Torn Asunder said:

On family day I wished him all the best for the season ahead. He looked at me like he wanted to punch me and said luck has nothing to do with it and that he was here to perform and here to win.

Ha ha brilliant. That kind of attitude is what we've been missing for so long.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Torn Asunder said:

On family day I wished him all the best for the season ahead. He looked at me like he wanted to punch me and said luck has nothing to do with it and that he was here to perform and here to win.

What? He didn't say "if I win, I win?"

Did you Start thinking "bugger I've come to the wrong open day, I thought this was Melbourne City".

More seriously In my view you can see that on the field and ultimately  that is why he was recruited and why he started over Tando.  

As an Aussie I'm disappointed that we had to bring in 2 foreigners to teach us to fight for everything and give it everything for 90+, but on the other hand I'm bloody glad we did.

10 hours ago, Luke said:

Except for the fact Velaphi keep more clean sheets 

yes thats true but the whole team defending well are responsible for clean sheets. There's no doubt that he is responsible for individual goals but theres also no doubt that his saves have gained us points too

Edited by belaguttman

2 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

yes thats true but the whole team defending well are responsible for clean sheets. There's no doubt that he is responsible for individual goals but theres also no doubt that his saves have gained us points too

As a former goalkeeper (when I became too knackered to twinkle down the wing) I took responsibility for goals that resulted from my own blunders, but that certainly was not every goal that my team conceded. Let's not forget that it's a team game.

Imo reason why were coping more this season has little to do with keeper and to lesser degree defence.

It's mainly because we're playing a very attacking style. Last part of last season we were playing a defensive reactive counter style. This season so far thankfully we are going out to win games and score freely. The result is we are left exposed at the back. 

So to compare clean sheets and results and attributing that to individual keepers is a pretty pointless discussion. 

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Imo reason why were coping more this season has little to do with keeper and to lesser degree defence.

It's mainly because we're playing a very attacking style. Last part of last season we were playing a defensive reactive counter style. This season so far thankfully we are going out to win games and score freely. The result is we are left exposed at the back.

So to compare clean sheets and results and attributing that to individual keepers is a pretty pointless discussion.

Exactly. Our attacking and attractive style to watch comes at a cost.

So far Sorensen has saved us a lot of points, and imo, not cost us a single point.

EDIT. Brisbane away could be argued that the second goal to Borello should have been kept out.

Edited by bt50

30 minutes ago, bt50 said:

So far Sorensen has saved us a lot of points, and imo, not cost us a single point.

EDIT. Brisbane away could be argued that the second goal to Borello should have been kept out.

brisbane away, turned the game on sat with the nicholls howler, 1st derby, questionable for the sydney 2-2 draw but also hughes fault, commentators said he could of done better for victorys goal in the 2nd derby but we all know how that turned out

11 minutes ago, Thrillhouse said:

brisbane away, turned the game on sat with the nicholls howler, 1st derby, questionable for the sydney 2-2 draw but also hughes fault, commentators said he could of done better for victorys goal in the 2nd derby but we all know how that turned out

Look at the bolded ones, then look at what I said, then have a good hard look at yourself, then go jump in a lake.

And then, please explain to me how you realistically are able to place any blame whatsoever on Sorensen for any of the goals in the 1st derby and the Sydney draw.

Edited by bt50
  • Like 2

I can't remember the specific goals but I'd say Sorensen himself would admit he could have doe better on several occasions -Berisha's goal the worst in my opinion. There have been a couple on his near post that IMO he should have saved. But overall he's saved us on many an occasion. I don't count Nichols' goal as a howler - sure he should have saved the shot as it turned out, but Nichols was one-on-one and should have given Sorensen no chance whatsoever. A howler is something like Bolton's errors against CCM, and the "puff of wind" one in Wellington.

7 minutes ago, Thrillhouse said:

lol derby everyone pretty much stopped and he half heartedly put an arm out
sydney hughes should of got to it but still he wasn't on his line and got done by a poor header

What goal? Berisha's winner? He got a hand on it from point blank and deflected into Berisha's path. Nothing he could have done.

No-one stops either of Ninkovic's goals. If he was back on his line for the second one maybe, but then everyone would have complained if the ball in was a foot closer to goal and he didn't come out to it.

He has made errors for sure, but all his errors that have cost us goals have come in games we won, therefore not costing us any points.

The flip side being he has made crucial saves that have certainly gained us points, WSW and Victory at home and Sydney away in Round 1 as prime examples.

Edited by bt50
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dylan said:

Velaphi is fast becoming the new walker

You think it's bad now, give it a couple of seasons (if he doesn't end up finding his way back here sooner rather than later).

People will sing songs about the great Tando Velaphi. The greatest keeper in the history of the league who was unjustly replaced by an ancient spud from Denmark who conceded lots of goals and was a vastly inferior goalkeeper.

Edited by Embee
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bt50 said:

It's only a cost to those who love their "1-nil to the Arsenal" results.

As long as when the final whistle goes we have scored more goals than the others I don't care.

How about a new phrase "5-1 to the city"

5 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

It's only a cost to those who love their "1-nil to the Arsenal" results.

As long as when the final whistle goes we have scored more goals than the others I don't care.

How about a new phrase "5-1 to the city"

Exactly. Put it this way, I'd rather watch us win 3-2 than 1-0.

What people don't seem to understand is that for every 'our keeper cost us points' discussion,  the other team have the exact same arguments apply to themselves.

For example, people are saying Sorensen is to blame for the second goal v Sydney which cost us all points. Yet can't recognise that Sydney can equally blame Janjetovic for costing them all points for our first goal. 

The other team has opportunities to also win or lose games so it's a shit point to say that cost us.

The real fact is that he has saved way more than he has let in.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, rass said:

What people don't seem to understand is that for every 'our keeper cost us points' discussion,  the other team have the exact same arguments apply to themselves.

For example, people are saying Sorensen is to blame for the second goal v Sydney which cost us all points. Yet can't recognise that Sydney can equally blame Janjetovic for costing them all points for our first goal. 

The other team has opportunities to also win or lose games so it's a shit point to say that cost us.

The real fact is that he has saved way more than he has let in.

2 out of our 3 goals against WSW should have had assists credited to Redmayne:D

• Like 1

3 hours ago, belaguttman said:

Well that's refreshing.

So this is how some on here see it:

1. When we win its Mooy, Novillo and El Tuna's doing because they single-handedlly are brilliant and no other players are needed

2. When we concede a goal , it is because our defence sucks. If Clisby is on the field, it clearly must be his fault,

3. If the other team scores more goals than us, then its because our midfield did not feed the stars in (1) above. If Koren was playing, it was his fault. If he wasn't on the bench either, its still his fault because he should never have come here in the first place

4. If we concede a goal because Sorensen has a howler, its not his fault because he makes more saves than he lets in goals even if the reason he has to make so many great saves is because he's turned the game on its head when he has made the howlers

Some people here are blinded by the "Halo effect". The people you like can do nothing wrong. The people you don't like for whatever reason do everything wrong.

I thought football was a game played by 11 people. Its all 11 that contribute to the success of the team not just the chosen few. The golden boot guy is just as important as the 89th minute sub who comes on and makes a few passes at the end of the game.

• Like 2

I've gone through every goal that the opposition had scored to see how many are Sorenson to blame or can be slightly blamed 

Pioviccari - sort of everones fault, everyone stopped 

Berisha (2nd derby) - could have made more of an effort to get there and was a flap at ball with arm. But still not convinced he would have got there if he attacked berisha

Borrello - near post got under him, a mistake

Henrique - he went up for corner 

Ninkovic (2nd goal) - sort of went, sort of stopped but same as berisha goal not sure he would have got there if attacked. Half his fault but not completely

Nichols (2nd game) - clear mistake

That's 2 goals definitely and maybe a couple of others that he is part blame to. But my god has he saved some, he is well and truly in the positive 

2 minutes ago, neio said:

I've gone through every goal that the opposition had scored to see how many are Sorenson to blame or can be slightly blamed 

Pioviccari - sort of everones fault, everyone stopped 

Berisha (2nd derby) - could have made more of an effort to get there and was a flap at ball with arm. But still not convinced he would have got there if he attacked berisha

Borrello - near post got under him, a mistake

Henrique - he went up for corner 

Ninkovic (2nd goal) - sort of went, sort of stopped but same as berisha goal not sure he would have got there if attacked. Half his fault but not completely

Nichols (2nd game) - clear mistake

That's 2 goals definitely and maybe a couple of others that he is part blame to. But my god has he saved some, he is well and truly in the positive 

The Henrique goal wasn't bad at all,  it showed intent we wanted to equalise 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, haz said:

Exactly if anyone can be blamed its the player on the halfway line that didn't win the ball or last resort make a foul and i think it was our Marquee who should remain nameless. No difference in 2 or 3 to 1 loss. 

4 minutes ago, haz said:

Im not blaming him for that one, but he scored cause Sorenson wasn't there

I agree it was good intent, so probably shouldn't be on that list on second thoughts but you get my point I hope 

• Like 1

Its the ancient football argument.

Strikers blame the mids for bad passing, the mids blame the defenders for bad positioning, the defenders blame the keeper for not saving, then the keeper blame the defenders for not marking, and the defenders blame the mids for not holding possession and the mids blame the strikers for not offering a target.

Sounds like the whole team is to blame to me.

• Like 2