Melbourne Football

2015 City FFA Cup Campaign: Semi Final V The Cap Cheats in Perth

Dylan

Koren was better but still lacks that polish in the final third. 

Nov, gun. Will rip bumholes wide open this season is he stays on the park.

El flathead looked pretty decent. He can dribble, pass and scored so already done more than mifsud ever did. 

Mooy didn't have his best game but still class. JW medal in the bag.

• Like 3

A bit of a mixed bag of a game really. Firstly, the big positive - we won:)

We looked dangerous when Novillo was on the park, less so after he left with what looks like a hamstring injury. generally our forwards worked well although finishing was poor given the dominance we had for most of the game. Koren despite his goal was generally average and needs to provide more this season. The starting back line looked good, Frantic may struggle to claim starting spot of Retre keeps playing like he did tonight. The backline was less impressive after Clisby came on and as the players became tired we lost our shape and allowed a surprisingly poor Phoenix back into the game. In the old days though Heart would have won this game 4-3 so overall a much improved performance from the last game.

I'd like to see less emphasis on maintaining possession in attacking transition as the first pass after the ball has been turned over to us is almost always a back pass - safe but places no pressure on the other team when they are most vulnerable. We really don't have the players to break teams down (except Phoenix tonight).

Bela- most of what you say is great, but I hope you're kidding about the Retre/Franjic thing. 

I rate Franjic but why would you not start Retre if he can keep playing like that? Nobody in the team should have a guaranteed starting spot, not even Franjic

I wouldn't get too carried away by the performance as Phoenix were very poor so it was hard to evaluate our performance in absolute terms. Of course we didn't allow them to play well but I'll want to see this performance repeated and improved in many areas before I start getting too excited.

Edited by belaguttman
  • Like 2

very good signs from most players. Exciting to think we still have Franjic and Gameiro still to come into the squad. I was very impressed by Zullo at left back and I think Novillo will have a great season (hopefully his injury isn't too bad). I'm also excited to see more of what Zinni can do on the wing

The key will be whether Koren and Paartalu will be able to sort themselves out to make sure we really boss the midfield, otherwise i'm fairly confident with how our defence and forwards will go this season. 

In regards to the Franjic/Retre situation, I think still that Franjic should start ahead of him. 

Well that was a good win. I am sure there is a lot more to come as well.

I am not surprised to hear people say Retre played well. I thought he improved substantially during last season. I also still believe he will be a better player in the middle of the park. 

Hopefully there will be some highlights of the game at some point.

Retre was good last night, and as has been said - Phoenix were pretty average. Let's not forget how good Franjic was in the A-League though, and  consistently for a number of years. Silva- Retre has played midfield a number of times prior to his move to RB ( a career saving one!), and he was pretty darn average. 

Edited by tommac
  • Like 1

interesting viewing

Firstly Wellington were shite and made us look good,

but saying that, there were positives

Zinni will be a player to watch for the future, he has "got it" but looked a little star struck at times

his father was a SoccerRoo, and his brother a very good running athlete, so there are good genes there

I liked the  things Tuna did, he is strong on the ball and shields it well when in possession 

Pity about Harry, looked the part before the goal

Koren showed that he has the class, and vision and talent, but again, missing for so much of the match

Partaluu, his passing was atrocious, anything over 10 metres was a lottery as to it finding it's mark

Mauk showed why he hasn't played much for the first team, his decision making is terrible

he received a pass from Paddy, ( who had just made a 30 metre run with the ball), then plays it down the wing and expects Paddy to chase it 

FFS, asking a 35 year old Centre Back to suddenly become a left winger , grow a brain.

Tando did his job, good save, my mate told me as Krishna was lining up , that he wouldn't score

everyone else , serviceable, I don't know what the hype is about Retre, he was slow in utilising the space that he had when receiving the ball 

Bring on the quarter finals 

• Like 1

interesting viewing

Firstly Wellington were shite and made us look good,

but saying that, there were positives

Zinni will be a player to watch for the future, he has "got it" but looked a little star struck at times

his father was a SoccerRoo, and his brother a very good running athlete, so there are good genes there

I liked the  things Tuna did, he is strong on the ball and shields it well when in possession 

Pity about Harry, looked the part before the goal

Koren showed that he has the class, and vision and talent, but again, missing for so much of the match

Partaluu, his passing was atrocious, anything over 10 metres was a lottery as to it finding it's mark

Mauk showed why he hasn't played much for the first team, his decision making is terrible

he received a pass from Paddy, ( who had just made a 30 metre run with the ball), then plays it down the wing and expects Paddy to chase it 

FFS, asking a 35 year old Centre Back to suddenly become a left winger , grow a brain.

Tando did his job, good save, my mate told me as Krishna was lining up , that he wouldn't score

everyone else , serviceable, I don't know what the hype is about Retre, he was slow in utilising the space that he had when receiving the ball 

Bring on the quarter finals 

Again, Wellington played like shit because we forced them into it. You could tell because there were times when Wellington were passing freely so they had the ability to play to there best, we just didnt allow it. Saying wellington were shit is taking away the good preformance  of pressing them, we did not allow them into the game and we punished them. The key for us is making that a consistant preformance 

• Jimmy unfeatured this topic