Melbourne Football

2015 City FFA Cup Campaign: Semi Final V The Cap Cheats in Perth

Dylan

interesting viewing

Firstly Wellington were shite and made us look good,

but saying that, there were positives

Zinni will be a player to watch for the future, he has "got it" but looked a little star struck at times

his father was a SoccerRoo, and his brother a very good running athlete, so there are good genes there

I liked the  things Tuna did, he is strong on the ball and shields it well when in possession 

Pity about Harry, looked the part before the goal

Koren showed that he has the class, and vision and talent, but again, missing for so much of the match

Partaluu, his passing was atrocious, anything over 10 metres was a lottery as to it finding it's mark

Mauk showed why he hasn't played much for the first team, his decision making is terrible

he received a pass from Paddy, ( who had just made a 30 metre run with the ball), then plays it down the wing and expects Paddy to chase it 

FFS, asking a 35 year old Centre Back to suddenly become a left winger , grow a brain.

Tando did his job, good save, my mate told me as Krishna was lining up , that he wouldn't score

everyone else , serviceable, I don't know what the hype is about Retre, he was slow in utilising the space that he had when receiving the ball 

Bring on the quarter finals 

Really don't rate Mauk..
Zinni looks the goods and not sure about Dekker yet might just need some more game time

interesting viewing

Firstly Wellington were shite and made us look good, ! they actually can play a bit and had the better of us in the first ~10 min, we were looking rusty at that point

but saying that, there were positives

Zinni will be a player to watch for the future, he has "got it" but looked a little star struck at times ! made the penalty with a good run and turn

his father was a SoccerRoo, and his brother a very good running athlete, so there are good genes there

I liked the  things Tuna did, he is strong on the ball and shields it well when in possession  ! yep, you can see he is a fair dinkum footballer with nous. will be good addition

Pity about Harry, looked the part before the goal  ! was the team man yesterday, adds spark and took shots as well. Hitting the cross bar and then the goal. Unlike some others, actually wants to move the ball forward.

Koren showed that he has the class, and vision and talent, but again, missing for so much of the match  ! Scored opportunist goal. The guy doesn't get enough service from some of our players. He was wide on the park on his own asking for the ball but it was not delivered. Mooy needs to do better in this dept.

Partaluu, his passing was atrocious, anything over 10 metres was a lottery as to it finding it's mark  ! needs to get form back. Was marginal last night.

Mauk showed why he hasn't played much for the first team, his decision making is terrible  ! didn't help his chances of first team football

he received a pass from Paddy, ( who had just made a 30 metre run with the ball), then plays it down the wing and expects Paddy to chase it 

FFS, asking a 35 year old Centre Back to suddenly become a left winger , grow a brain.

Tando did his job, good save, my mate told me as Krishna was lining up , that he wouldn't score  ! was good

everyone else , serviceable, I don't know what the hype is about Retre, he was slow in utilising the space that he had when receiving the ball  ! squad player but OK

Bring on the quarter finals 

Really liked Zullo's work, skill and smarts  > Behich

Mooy. Good BUT. Occasional dithering on the ball and his decision making needs to be sharpened. We could have opened up the Nux on many more times with a ball going forward or a pass to Koren who was wide and on his own and asking for it. Plenty of room for improvement if he wants to cement a spot as a first XI Socceroo.

Paddy. Gave a pen away with one of his customary bumbling, barge arse tackles. Otherwise OK

Dekker. Looking forward to see how he develops.

Scoreline a bit flattering coz of the pens but we created more chances and a very good result none the less.

Edited by HEARTinator

Mauk showed why he hasn't played much for the first team, his decision making is terrible

This. 

Also, does anyone have a link to highlights? Not having replays on the screen was way more annoying than I would of guessed and wouldn't mind seeing how the wing looked. 

Really liked Zullo's work, skill and smarts  > Behich

Mooy. Good BUT. Occasional dithering on the ball and his decision making needs to be sharpened. We could have opened up the Nux on many more times with a ball going forward or a pass to Koren who was wide and on his own and asking for it. Plenty of room for improvement if he wants to cement a spot as a first XI Socceroo.

Paddy. Gave a pen away with one of his customary bumbling, barge arse tackles. Otherwise OK

Dekker. Looking forward to see how he develops.

Scoreline a bit flattering coz of the pens but we created more chances and a very good result none the less.

Really like your comments and those you added to Japiedog's post above. Agree with almost everything you say, especially about Mooy and Paartalu. Transition from those two was far too slow all night.

I also want to say that people have gone so negative on Koren that they are blind to all the good things he does. He was right in a lot of the team play last night, e.g Wade Dekker's nice goal, and scored himself. Thought he had a good match.

Thought the crowd was a little disappointing - had hoped we could get over five thousand. But it's a message for the marketing people. If you keep playing pre-season matches out-of-town then you're not helping to stimulate interest in Melbourne City. If you come up with that clever "This is our City" slogan then you need to respond by demonstrating that "You are our fans."

So lessons still to be learned all round, but it was the result we needed so well done boys.

Edited by jw1739

The biggest difference was we actually played attacking football, it was exciting and create so many chances! Why has it taken so long? Dekker looks the goods his positioning was brilliant all night, kid is a gun.

Had to get rid of Aloisi's players and for JvS to sign the players he needs to play his style.

He has the pedigree, he now has the money, the backing of the club and has the players he needs to deliver the game-style he wants.

2010/11 S1: JvS - Had to make do with players from here and there to make up a team.
2011/12 S2: JvS - Club owners being tight, no money to sign players needed to play his style, facilities with Bunnings chairs and wheelie bins.
2012/13 S3: JA - Signed his golden oldies mates, Ramsay and Mifsud and was a shit coach.
2013/14 S4: JA - JvS took over a team low on confidence, lower standard of skills (because the club went povo with signings) playing shit style.
2014/15 S5: JvS - Got rid of some players, had to deal with Aloisi's players still contracted, never got to implement his style with current stock.
2015/16 S6: JvS - Got rid of remaining Aloisi's players, signed quality players who can play his style, has best training facilities, no wheelie bins.

Conclusion: No excuses; convincing top 4 or sacked! If he makes top 4 then next season Premiership/Championship or no contract extension.

Firstly I thought Zullo had something special in his game and wouldn't be surprised if he ends up being the best left back in the league and knocking on the door for the Socceroos by seasons end. 

A lot of honourable mentions to Koren, Mooy, Novillo, Chapman, El Tuna, Tando, Zinni, Retre, Dekker.

Some dishonourable mentions:

Paartalu: Sloppy many times, passes sometimes don't hit their mark which for me is not a good thing being a DM.

Kisnorbo: Once again proving when he is a step slow he can be costly. And nearly any time he is allowed time to move the ball forward he loses it with a poor pass. 

Clisby: Actually did 'ok' but the guy has no balls to take on a player or cross the ball in. Makes a run all the way down the wing and instead of taking on the defender and attacking the penalty box he ends up bringing the ball backwards. And his positioning when defending isn't crash hot. 

But overall what a great win. Well done to the club on organising this, definitely lifted to give us local fans what we deserve. 

Edited by n i k o
  • Like 2

Firstly I thought Zullo had something special in his game and wouldn't be surprised if he ends up being the best left back in the league and knocking on the door for the Socceroos by seasons end. 

A lot of honourable mentions to Koren, Mooy, Novillo, Chapman, El Tuna, Tando, Zinni, Retre, Dekker.

Some dishonourable mentions:

Paartalu: Sloppy many times, passes sometimes don't hit their mark which for me is not a good thing being a DM.

Kisnorbo: Once again proving when he is a step slow he can be costly. And nearly any time he is allowed time to move the ball forward he loses it with a poor pass. 

Clisby: Actually did 'ok' but the guy has no balls to take on a player or cross the ball in. Makes a run all the way down the wing and instead of taking on the defender and attacking the penalty box he ends up bringing the ball backwards. And his positioning when defending isn't crash hot. 

But overall what a great win. Well done to the club on organising this, definitely lifted to give us local fans what we deserve. 

Yep agree niko. I was really impressed with Zullo, showed real aggressive attacking instinct. With Novillo ahead of him, that side of the park is really going to cause headaches for opposition defences.

Such a difference between Tuna and Kennedy in regards to the style of game we play. Tuna looks ideal for that high pressure in the forward line, causing defences to hurry their possessions. Saw last night just how well this setup can work. Evident also that Koren has more confidence in those around him which in turn makes him more involved.

I have said it how many times before on this forum, but really concerned about Paartalu and not only making sloppy passes, but the ability to effectively shield that defence. Really hope he picks up because I notice how often he seems to be caught out of position - which will be a real concern against a team like victory.

• Like 1

Yep agree niko. I was really impressed with Zullo, showed real aggressive attacking instinct. With Novillo ahead of him, that side of the park is really going to cause headaches for opposition defences.

Such a difference between Tuna and Kennedy in regards to the style of game we play. Tuna looks ideal for that high pressure in the forward line, causing defences to hurry their possessions. Saw last night just how well this setup can work. Evident also that Koren has more confidence in those around him which in turn makes him more involved.

I have said it how many times before on this forum, but really concerned about Paartalu and not only making sloppy passes, but the ability to effectively shield that defence. Really hope he picks up because I notice how often he seems to be caught out of position - which will be a real concern against a team like victory.

Paartalu looks a very pale shade of his Brisbane self.

Great night for the club. A strange experience to see us smash an opponent so comfortably, and watching the game was simply a stress free, enjoyable pleasure!

Wellington were pretty shite at the back, and we destroyed them in the midfield, and it cost them the early, which effectively meant it was game over.

The biggest thing I took from the game was that Mooy now knows that he is top dog on the pitch as a recognised marquee, and he looks ready to stand up even more this season. He was pivotal to the whole team structure and if we lose him during the season, not sure how we would cover his loss. It does look like the combination of Mooy, Koren and Eric can work, and it was great to see Koren trying hard, pressing and playing some quality balls. I feel he is gearing up to form and that he will be highly influential for us during the season. Also, I thought Eric looked a bit sharper and his positioning seemed better, but some of his passing was still off.

El Tuna looks like he will be good value and had a real crack last night and he has some genuine talent and obvious quality. He wanted the 1st penalty, which Mooy took without negotiation ... although Mooy let him have the second one.

Also, apart from the obvious squad strengthening with likes of Franjic, Zullo & Corey G, I think where we will be much better this year is the depth of our younger players who can hopefully push the more seasoned players for starting spots. Last night Zinni was good and chiefly responsible for two of the 1st three goals, Dekker didn't look out of place and Retre had a solid game (other than the penalty give away).

Tando also had a reasonable game ... his save was celebrated probably more than the goals scored, however, he made a couple of playing out from the back mistakes that would have been punished by a better team.

I think the benefit of having the CFG facility at Bundora will give us a head start for the season.

Great vibe in the crowd with an acceptable turnout, and when you look at our supporters in the stands, its such a mix of demographics, with so many young kids and families, which convinces me that eventually our support base will rival the Tards.

Enjoyed the Melburnians efforts as well, particularly when they got the whole crowd on their feet.

• Like 2

Just think its worth noting that Kisnorbo has now conceded 2 pens in 2 ffa cup games, not great composure from the team captain

Kisnorbo was always a red card waiting to happen before he became captain.  If anything, I think the responsibility has curbed his tendency for reckless challenges.

4027 is good. Have to remember the game had very little promotion outside the diehards. Hope we're cracking 10,000 every home game this year.

I like the thinking, but we still have a way to go to reach that target 

playing positive winning football , is a good start to building numbers 

I haven't seen the team sheets or the game but from the comments, this is quite possibly our first 11, (No Franjic but it sounds like Retre did as well as Franjic could have). OTOH, Wellington are saying they started 3-game triallists, which might or might not be sour grapes.

Its a good result, but we looked good against Man City too when they didn't pressure us.

But isn't this part of what's been missing before? All those matches where we dominated but didn't score, or defended sloppily in the last 10 minutes ad gave points away?

Sure Wellington were a weak team, but they've been weak before and we failed miserably. This time we got five, and if Mauk and Retre had kept their heads over the ball we might have had seven. That's what good sides do - they ram home their advantage, not sit back on a 1-0 lead.

I don't care what Phoenix's difficulties were. What counts for us is that we took full advantage.

Lets just not get a head of ourselves is what I think others are saying.

But isn't this part of what's been missing before? All those matches where we dominated but didn't score, or defended sloppily in the last 10 minutes ad gave points away?

Sure Wellington were a weak team, but they've been weak before and we failed miserably. This time we got five, and if Mauk and Retre had kept their heads over the ball we might have had seven. That's what good sides do - they ram home their advantage, not sit back on a 1-0 lead.

I don't care what Phoenix's difficulties were. What counts for us is that we took full advantage.

Yes, one positive is that we had 3 of our forwards either score, assist or draw penalties, a first time for our team in my memory. We also had penetrating balls through the Wellington defence that created all sorts of problems and created overloads for the Wellington defenders. There was also pressure and intensity that is all too often missing from our game especially against the more physical teams. My only caveat is that Wellington defended poorly, I'd like to see them do this against some of the stronger teams before I get too excited. 

Edited by belaguttman

I guess not having Ramsay in the side helps ten-fold

enjoying the match replay now, thanks for the link 

Was o/s so couldn't get to the match. Just watched it on the fox replay.  Great match to watch, some weaknesses but we now seem to have a reasonable team. Would have been a great match to have been at, good noise from Melburnians. Watching on Foxtel however was bad. They need to get better commentators - as Tesla said shit. Looking forward to this season.

enjoying the match replay now, thanks for the link 

Was o/s so couldn't get to the match. Just watched it on the fox replay.  Great match to watch, some weaknesses but we now seem to have a reasonable team. Would have been a great match to have been at, good noise from Melburnians. Watching on Foxtel however was bad. They need to get better commentators - as Tesla said shit. Looking forward to this season.

• Jimmy unfeatured this topic