Melbourne Football

2015 City FFA Cup Campaign: Semi Final V The Cap Cheats in Perth

Dylan

Paartalu: City ready for local derby

12 September 2015

John Davidson

Midfielder Erik Paartalu says Melbourne City are preparing for a fierce local derby when they meet Heidelberg United in the FFA Cup quarter-finals.

The A-League side takes on the National Premier League Victorian outfit at the Bergers’ home ground of Olympic Park on September 29.

City have reached the quarter-final stage after defeating Edgeworth FC 2-1 and smashing Wellington Phoenix 5-1, while Heidelberg United booked their place with a 3-1 victory over Broadmeadow Magic and a 2-0 win over Sydney United.

“The stadium is right around the corner from our training ground,” Paartalu told FourFourTwo.

“The boys have been looking good in training and having games against local sides has been good practice, particularly on similar surfaces.

“Heidelberg United is a club with a good history. Their fans are going to be right behind them. It’s the beauty of the cup, hopefully a full house.

“They have a few handy players and we’ve watched some footage of them already.”

City and United are two of the five Melbourne clubs featuring in the final eight of the FFA Cup, along with Hume City, Oakleigh Cannons and Melbourne Victory.

City has been busy on the transfer front in the off-season bringing in former Premier League keeper Thomas Sorensen and Uruguayan striker Bruno Fornaroli. The club has also signed Socceroo Michael Zullo and Northern Ireland international Aaron Hughes.

Paartalu, who joined City last year from Muangthong United, believes the club’s new overseas additions will be vital in the new campaign.

“Linking well with Robbie Koren, Bruno is hungry and works hard and will score goals for us,” the 29-year old said.

“Thomas is a class act, his presence physically but also in the dressing room will be big for us this year. All the foreign recruits will have a big impact this season.

“Our focus is just on constantly improving. We are happy with the progress we have made in the off-season but need to be much better than last season.

“There’s a few injured boys still to come back as well.”

Paartalu spent three successful years at Brisbane Roar, claiming a premiership and two championships. The Roar have undergone a tough time of late with financial troubles and legal action.

The midfielder said it is sad to see the decline of his former club.

“Horrible to see the most successful club of the last five years go through what they are going through,” Paartalu said.

“Almost all of the staff that were there have moved on as well as a lot of players. Hopefully it gets better for them soon.”

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/au/news/paartalu-city-ready-local-derby

Who cares what player they add. We're still clearly the superior team.

this is about the gate.

ive never seen 1 game guest players add anything on the field. I even remember when the QSA brought then England captain Bryan Robson out when we played NSW at Perry Park (87?). Didn't seem to add a lot.

anyway the atmosphere should be electric. If Heidelberg play half decent it will help cement the cups place in Aussie football.

I bought my ticket online straight away because when the Bergers fans decide to come out for their one or two games a year they can really can come on mass and cause major lines at that gate. (I also read that they have been selling well - But that could just be advertising of course).

Regardless like Branch Members in the Liberal Party no club has more silents supporters than any other Soccer Club in Melbourne, in fact I remember last season they had to delay the Greek Derby KO by half an hour due to an unexpected amount of supporters rocking up.

Edited by cadete

I seriously don't get these guys. They bring a Greek flag yet worship a Macedonian.

Seriously the best discussion I ever heard on this topic went as follows at my Ex's Greek Easter earlier this year as we were sitting around the lamb on the spit... whose Family grew pretty close too to the point that they took me to the A-League Grand Final instead of their MV supporting cousins.

Her Younger Brother aged 12: Dad what is that the Macos and Greeks dont agree about with Alexander?

Dad: So... Cadete (Obv he used my real name) do you think Geelong will win next week?

My EX: Good change of topic dad.

Edited by cadete