Melbourne Football

2015 City FFA Cup Campaign: Semi Final V The Cap Cheats in Perth

Dylan

Lakeside please

Wouldn't South block it? Suspect they aren't huge fans. Having said that, I'd take Lakeside over Epping, esp on a weeknight; getting there (or Latrobe, for that matter) from my house will be a bloody pain. (The games are still midweek yeah?)

Also I would be astounded if it's at AAMI, the cost is high and the surface affected by rugby.

Edited by Kinnibari

With the way memberships are at the moment and their target of 14000(?), the worst thing City could do is make it a regional match. 

Ive been more forgiving of this clubs mistakes in the past than most, but playing this game outside of the city would be inexcusable. 

• Like 1

Can see the FFA putting the game at Lakeside. Would give them an opportunity to see how the facility functions and would give SM the chance to show that they can host top level games.

Why on earth would we give a shit about that?

South had their chance and they blew it.

• Like 1

With the way memberships are at the moment and their target of 14000(?), the worst thing City could do is make it a regional match. 

Ive been more forgiving of this clubs mistakes in the past than most, but playing this game outside of the city would be inexcusable. 

I think the reason Heart played so many games in regional areas is because they knew deep down they were not able to compete directly with Victory on the same turf so they chose to try and pick up a handful of supporters in areas Victory dont directly market to (for a reason). 

To play this game anywhere outside inner Melbourne (AAMI or Lakeside) and not give people loads of insentive to get down to watch would be weak as piss

• Like 2

I don't know if you've realized but the current franchise system isn't sustainable. Every year there are clubs on the brink of going bust.

With a new TV deal to be negotiated and expansion on the agenda, the FFA need clubs who can survive without the need of billionaire owners. South are one of the few clubs that fit the bill. Or we can just try and start another Fury or GCU and hope that it all works itself out.

• Like 2

I don't know if you've realized but the current franchise system isn't sustainable. Every year there are clubs on the brink of going bust.

With a new TV deal to be negotiated and expansion on the agenda, the FFA need clubs who can survive without the need of billionaire owners. South are one of the few clubs that fit the bill. Or we can just try and start another Fury or GCU and hope that it all works itself out.

The FFA will look at other states and other regional areas before introducing a 3rd Melbourne metropolitan team. IMO, if new teams are to be introduced, then it can happen via some sort of relegation/promotion system in the future.

So again back to my point. As we are Melbourne City, why would we give a shit about playing our home FFA Cup game so we can showcase South Melbourne?

huh? Sure, let's promote another metro club that has the potential of reducing our own membership further... wtf?

Sorry, but that's my opinion.

In any case, the venue is run by the State Sports Centre Trust, not SM. TBH I'd rather make the trip to God-forsaken Epping than go to Lakeside, even though the latter is much nearer to where I live. At least Epping is actually a football stadium rather than an athletics track with a football field in the middle of it.

The advantage AAMI has over all these suburban alternatives is the availability of train transport to the ground, rather than fighting one's way through Melbourne's traffic on a weekday evening, and in Lakeside's case, then finding a place to park.

With membership sitting at less than half of last season it seems silly to play the game in a 30,000 capacity stadium. Add on top of that the costs for renting the venue out (which may be more for one off games) and the very poor standard of the pitch right now there simply is no benefit, besides convenience for us. Ideally our HQ would be better if there was a some sort of grandstand but for this game the one place that makes sense is Epping. 

In in saying all that we'll probably play in Bendigo. 

I understand the reasons of playing Manchester City on the Gold Coast, but the club saw first hand the frustration of many with games being played outside Melbourne.

They would be stupid to bring this upon themselves once more, and because of that I can't see this game being played anywhere but Melbourne. It would be idiotic otherwise.

Could it be cheaper to play it at Etihad Stadium instead of AAMI Park, with Etihad being our major sponsor?

Yes, I know it's not ideal playing it on a massive oval stadium and no, I don't want it to be played there, I'm just asking a simple question...

James Fielding Funds Management owns Etihad Stadium, not Etihad Airways. 

• Like 1

Club has tweeted that the match will be on 25th or 26th August, venue to be decided in the next 24 hours.

So Adelaide in Darwin on 22nd, then Wellington on 25th/26th, somewhere......hmm.

Considering we're playing AUFC in Darwin (out of all places) on the 22nd, I'm sure the FFA will schedule us on the 26th to give the team the extra day to fly back, recover and re-acclimatise to Melbourne's colder conditions ;) 

Does anyone know if our membership for this season covers the entry to this game? 

Also how the F does Victory get another state league team.. They get concessions, they get rules adjust to suit them and now they get yet another easier run.. This is getting ridiculous.. 

Does anyone know if our membership for this season covers the entry to this game?

Also how the F does Victory get another state league team.. They get concessions, they get rules adjust to suit them and now they get yet another easier run.. This is getting ridiculous..

Every A-League team had an equal chance in being matched up against a state league team. It just happened to be Victory, Perth and Western Sydney who got those fixtures, I don't see an issue.

• Like 1

Does the club decide where it's played or does the ffa?  

Good question.

As far as I know the answer isn't known for sure, but in the last FFA Cup Adelaide United hosted Brisbane Roar at Hindmarsh Stadium in the round of 16. So I'd wager the host club has the say on the venue. And of course Adelaide went on to win the FFA Cup, so there's a strategic argument for playing at a home stadium instead of a regional centre like Ballarat. It's called home-ground advantage, and Melbourne City should use it.

Good question.

As far as I know the answer isn't known for sure, but in the last FFA Cup Adelaide United hosted Brisbane Roar at Hindmarsh Stadium in the round of 16. So I'd wager the host club has the say on the venue. And of course Adelaide went on to win the FFA Cup, so there's a strategic argument for playing at a home stadium instead of a regional centre like Ballarat. It's called home-ground advantage, and Melbourne City should use it.

The only statement I have been able to find on this subject is from the Westfield FFA Cup FAQs, as follows: 'Where both clubs involved are Hyundai A-League clubs, the first drawn club will have hosting rights.'
Read more at http://www.theffacup.com.au/about/faqs/rgiczukl1gwh1puacwa2pizdo#Vl137xDPgjWXYy5l.99

My interpretation of "hosting" rights would be that we have the choice of venue. The only stipulation I can find on venues is that the 'venue will need to meet appropriate Minimum Venue and Security Standards that will be in place for the Westfield FFA Cup', although that statement is made in relation to "suburban grounds"; I would assume that that statement is directed at the home grounds of the non-league clubs.

The FFA will look at other states and other regional areas before introducing a 3rd Melbourne metropolitan team. IMO, if new teams are to be introduced, then it can happen via some sort of relegation/promotion system in the future.

So again back to my point. As we are Melbourne City, why would we give a shit about playing our home FFA Cup game so we can showcase South Melbourne?

huh? Sure, let's promote another metro club that has the potential of reducing our own membership further... wtf?

Sorry, but that's my opinion.

Relax dude. Pigs will fly before South get into the A-league. No ethnic teams will ever join the A-league. Next!

i couldn't find an article. i guess we'll find out soon enough anyway.

interestingly if we play on the 26th that would be 2 days after storm plays the knights on the surface, so it wouldn't be ideal. considering we would probably be lucky to draw 5k for a midweek pre-season game, i'd prefer we played at a smaller venue with a better surface.

• Like 2

i couldn't find an article. i guess we'll find out soon enough anyway.

interestingly if we play on the 26th that would be 2 days after storm plays the knights on the surface, so it wouldn't be ideal. considering we would probably be lucky to draw 5k for a midweek pre-season game, i'd prefer we played at a smaller venue with a better surface.

I agree, and just you watch everyone complain about the price of tickets.

in their defence, they haven't had an FFA Cup home game yet either

• Jimmy unfeatured this topic