Melbourne Football

The Kew Jaliens thread

kingofhearts

Everyone thought liam Miller was a good pick up too after his first game with us. Just saying.

Stands up for JVS after 4 seasons of mediocrity and can barely acknowledge a good performance of a new player. FMD

Not having a go at jaulens at all, just saying for everyone not to lose there shit after one game. Look at koren since the Newy game, he's been shit too. If he keeps performing well I'll change the thread to 'the Kew jaliens appreciation thread'

Everyone thought liam Miller was a good pick up too after his first game with us. Just saying.

Stands up for JVS after 4 seasons of mediocrity and can barely acknowledge a good performance of a new player. FMD

Not having a go at jaulens at all, just saying for everyone not to lose there shit after one game. Look at koren since the Newy game, he's been shit too. If he keeps performing well I'll change the thread to 'the Kew jaliens appreciation thread' How about just Kew Jaliens?

Stands up for JVS after 4 seasons of mediocrity and can barely acknowledge a good performance of a new player. FMD Not having a go at jaulens at all, just saying for everyone not to lose there shit after one game. Look at koren since the Newy game, he's been shit too. If he keeps performing well I'll change the thread to 'the Kew jaliens appreciation thread'How about just Kew Jaliens? Because that would be boring
  • Like 1

Fair play to him. Thought he was better than 'pretty good'; thought he was outstanding and possibly the best player on the park. Hope he can keep it going.

It is funny though when/if one of our players comes in and proves his detractors wrong, you really get a good idea of which people on forums like this would prefer to be wrong and see the club succeed, compared to those that would prefer to be right. Let's just say, I'd much rather be wrong about Jaliens and have him play like that for the rest of the year.

• Like 2

I thought Sidnei Sciola was going to run rings round Jaliens. Thankfully, how wrong I was.

Jaliens was right up there as one of our best players. Despite his age - 36 - and the heat.

Jaliens marked Sciola out of the game and Jaliens passing was also assured. A far better performance than we've ever had from Hoffman in that position.

Now who was suggesting that we should have played Archibald instead of Jaliens?????

Edited by Parrot

Jaliens marked Sciola out of the game and Jaliens passing was also assured. A far better performance than we've ever had from Hoffman in that position.

Your right Parrot - Jaliens passing was superb.

His cross' to Kennedy was pin point.

A real asset in attack, and great in transition play.

• Like 1

Tbh, for all our frustration at signing him, I can see what JVS was thinking bringing him in.

He can play at RB (a gap for us) and CB, so it gives some added flexibility for the team.

Time will tell if he can continue to perform, but the logic wasnt as crazy as we originally thought. Its likely not as crazy as WSW signing Nick Ward :lol:

As I've said elsewhere I'm happy to admit I was wrong about Jaliens.

I still wouldn't offer him a contract for next year though. I've no doubt he would be good enough, but like all the other players we've seen of his vintage, how often would he be available?

We've got nine more matches in which to have a good look at all our existing players. No need to rush into things.

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2015/03/04/jaliens-likes-what-he-sees-melbourne-city

JALIENS LIKES WHAT HE SEES AT MELBOURNE CITY

Melbourne City's latest defensive acquisition Kew Jaliens says he's playing not just for a finals place but also for a longer-term stint at the A-League club.

Former Netherlands international Jaliens signed from crisis club Newcastle Jets on an injury replacement contract last month.

His first win for the club came on Friday night, when City overpowered Adelaide United with three second-half goals.

Jaliens liked what he saw of his team's performance from the back line.

"It was a win with character," said Jaliens.

"If you want to look up you've got to get some wins, especially at home."

Jaliens, 36, is in Melbourne as a temporary replacement for Robbie Wielaert, and so has an unsure future at City.

He said he'd love the chance to play on in the white and sky blue strip.

"For now, it's four to six weeks as an injury replacement," he said.

"So far I'm liking what I see. I feel comfortable.

"If there is a longer stay, I will consider it for sure."

fair fluff piece, but glad to see that he has settled.  given the rough / disruptive image coming from the end of his tenure at Newcastle, was a little concerned that he wasnt going to settle at all

Edited by mattyh001

• 2 weeks later...

The 'yoof' effect really showing here. How this man wasn't in the top 2 for the last match motm voting is ridiculous. A young player could put in a quater of the performance and everyone would be acting like they're Messi.

The 'yoof' effect really showing here. How this man wasn't in the top 2 for the last match motm voting is ridiculous. A young player could put in a quater of the performance and everyone would be acting like they're Messi.

There may have been some extra motivation plus the fact he knew the Jets well. I seem to recall when Petratos first played against Sydney last season he scored a hat trick and would strut past the Sydney FC coaching staff. Since then Petratos has been average.

Jaliens would have just about been the last player I wanted to pursue when he was at Newcastle. I couldn't be happier with what he's done since he arrived. From my perspective, I think it's probably worth looking at Jaliens as a case study, when considering some of our proven (but seriously underperforming) players and how a change of environment can absolutely reinvigorate them, if you know the ability is there. Especially when a couple of our most glaring examples are already locked in for next year.

Agree that Jaliens is an example that some players perform totally differently once they are put in a new environment. The same is rather true of Chapman. Then it's just a matter of good scouting: realising which players have potential to perform at a good level, but for whatever reason aren't performing at their clubs. It's always a bit of a roll of the dice signing these underperforming/undervalued players, like Jaliens and Chapman (and arguably Melling and Clisby). The club's done pretty well recruiting these players this season, but sometimes it doesn't work, e.g. James Brown (at least, thus far he really hasn't performed as hoped).

On Jaliens, in late January I said: 

he's older than Wielaert. I rate him as a player, but signing another 36 year old Dutch CB doesn't seem like a wise move

But credit to him, he's performed impressively, and he doesn't look like he's in the twilight years of his football career. I doubted whether another player well into their 30s was what this club needed, but he's really performed and has shown that advanced years aren't necessarily an issue (as Tesla says, if he was Chapman's age there'd undoubtedly be a lot of praise being heaped on Jaliens, from Melbourne City supporters and A-League observers in general).

I also think the signing of Safuwan and Clisby (together with Chapman returning to full fitness) has really helped experienced defenders like Jaliens show their full worth in our side. There's a  good mix of young and experience, athleticism and smarts in our defence.

The key question surrounding Jaliens now is if he'd be a good signing for the longer term. The idea of signing another player short term (like Liam Miller) was criticized, but IMO Jaliens has fully deserved and merited a contract for the remainder of this season, and he looks set to be a real boost for the club's finals hopes. If Jaliens, currently 36, should get a contract for next season I don't know. But Jaliens is building a pretty strong case IMO to re-sign him for next season, and if he can keep up his impressive form and fitness, he could well be a worthwhile re-signing (who knows, he could well be another Patrick Zwaanswijk, who played and impressed in the A-League until he was 38, and even helped Central Coast win the grand final in his final season). 

Edited by Murfy1

• 2 weeks later...

Jaliens has played 7 games and

- The team has kept 4 cleansheets

- The team got 4 wins, 1 draw and 2 losses

Beyond the numbers Jaliens looks quality in defence, and you can see why he got 15 caps the Netherlands. He's a very smart defender, who's positioning is consistently excellent, he's good on the ball and an impressive passer for a defender, and for someone his age surprisingly his athleticism hasn't really been an issue (he's significantly better in that regard than Wielaert).

There's a good argument for not disrupting a good defence that keeps cleansheets, so if Jaliens keeps up his form for the remainder of the season there's a pretty convincing case for re-signing him for next season IMO. 

Can't believe how good he's been. Would almost keep him over kisnorbo if push came to shove.

Kisnorbo has two advantages in that a.) he's Aussie and doesn't use up a Visa spot; and b.) he's the current club captain. 

Jaliens has been good though but I'm not sure whether signing him on for next season is a wise long-term strategy. Up to the (hopefully new) management for next season though.

Jaliens is worth another season. IMO he shows an uncanny knack for reading the play and which way his opponent is going to turn. More than makes up for any lack of athleticism, although in saying that he's no slouch. I look at the defence and I see Velaphi (I eat my negative words about him without reservation), Retre, Jaliens, Kisnorbo, Clisby, Chapman, and hopefully Safuwan; that's a good line-up and I think it's worth having two visa players in defence. Still leaves us three for the midfield and forwards. As Murf says elsewhere, it's the defence that has improved this season, so why change it yet again?