Melbourne Football

Jack Clisby

Red or Dead

Struggled against Burns today, but never hid. Still tried to get forward and always looked for the ball.

Will be a decent player for us in time. Also miles ahead of Hoffman in tenacity and quality Tesla!!

For a bloke that's been watching barely a season you seem to be an authority on the Hoff.

Hoff's no star, but he's got a few in this team covered no worries

I am just giving my opinion on what I have seen. It has actually been over a year now that I have been watching the team. 

I know that others like you have seen him longer, so I bow to your knowledge before I saw him. However, I think now he is not good enough from what I have seen.

Struggled against Burns today, but never hid. Still tried to get forward and always looked for the ball.

Will be a decent player for us in time. Also miles ahead of Hoffman in tenacity and quality Tesla!!

For a bloke that's been watching barely a season you seem to be an authority on the Hoff.

I am just giving my opinion on what I have seen. It has actually been over a year now that I have been watching the team.

I know that others like you have seen him longer, so I bow to your knowledge before I saw him. However, I think now he is not good enough from what I have seen. Fair enough, I just feel that you are influenced by those on here who can't get past the fact that Hoffman is not the player he was in seasons 1-3.

IMO he's been very serviceable since he moved to RB, and 90% of the flak he cops is unwarranted, at least in comparison with others in the team

I know that others like you have seen him longer, so I bow to your knowledge before I saw him. However, I think now he is not good enough from what I have seen. Fair enough, I just feel that you are influenced by those on here who can't get past the fact that Hoffman is not the player he was in seasons 1-3.

IMO he's been very serviceable since he moved to RB, and 90% of the flak he cops is unwarranted, at least in comparison with others in the team

I don't let others influence me. This is just my honest opinion of Hoffman. 

I have seen him constantly give the ball away this season, miss tackles and look completely devoid of any confidence.

• 10 months later...
9 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Kudos to this bloke.

Managed to turn many opinions of him around (including mine) and earn himself a new contract.

Still no world beater, but a very serviceable squaddie nowadays

Suits a 3 5 2 formation as well, quicker than both Hughes and Kisnorbo so adds that cover and also prefers CB anyway

27 minutes ago, hedaik said:

Would like to know @Tesla s thoughts on him considering he thought Baharudin was a walking red card. Clisbys way worse imo.

My comments regarding Clisby have focused more on his general shitness rather than anything specific. The difference with Baharudin is that he was actually a handy player, apart from looking like a walking red card. Clisby, on the other hand, is just all round shit so it wasn't worth commenting on.

I think I summed up Clisby well previously:

On 14/02/2015 at 3:37 PM, Tesla said:

Jeremy Walker level.

Edited by Tesla

@Tesla Don't you think he's turned a corner though? I admit I thought he had absolutely no hope of being a serviceable A-League player but over the last few months he's definitely changed my mind. Has been close to MOTM in a few matches. Form still a bit patchy but is showing there's some talent there now.

• Like 6

Just now, Jimmy said:

@Tesla Don't you think he's turned a corner though? I admit I thought he had absolutely no hope of being a serviceable A-League player but over the last few months he's definitely changed my mind. Has been close to MOTM in a few matches. Form still a bit patchy but is showing there's some talent there now.

Conveniently this supposed up turn in form was while I was overseas and not watching our matches.

You're all lying as far as I'm concerned :up: 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

Completely agreed. I used to be on Clisby as a bit of a joke but over the last couple months he has genuinely impressed me, sure he still makes mistakes but he has made a couple of great tackles each game I'd say. Definitely a solid option and glad he got a new contract.

• Like 1

I think I made mention  of Clisby being a walking yellow card last season

I'm not going back to find the post to prove or disprove

Sure he has his inadequacies and limitations, that's why he is playing A League and not in Europe

one thing I will give him credit for is :

he gives 100% to the shirt every time he steps on the pitch,

sure he flies into tackles, but he makes most of them.

one thing is certain, the player he tackles knows that he is there and thinks twice the nest time he receives the ball

• Like 6

28 minutes ago, japiedog said:

I think I made mention  of Clisby being a walking yellow card last season

I'm not going back to find the post to prove or disprove

Sure he has his inadequacies and limitations, that's why he is playing A League and not in Europe

one thing I will give him credit for is :

he gives 100% to the shirt every time he steps on the pitch,

sure he flies into tackles, but he makes most of them.

one thing is certain, the player he tackles knows that he is there and thinks twice the nest time he receives the ball

Agree with this. And whilst I agree he makes rash challenges and often looks like he is red card waiting to happen, its worth noting in his 24 appearances for us he hasn't been sent off once, and has been yellow carded just 9 times.

9 yellows from 24 starts is basically inexperienced enthusiasm. 

His first dozen games were a joke but tbf his last 6 or so have been very good in comparison. I still cringe every time he has the ball and his positioning especially when playing centrally has improved but like Chapman i can't remember him winning many headers. He deserves to start at the moment and if he improves then he may turn into a durable A League player and may notch 100+ games.

All up he's moved up in my reckoning from shit to not bad bordering average. 

4 hours ago, belaguttman said:

His biggest problem to work on is his propensity to slide in to a tackle, if he misses it then a player has breached our defence with Clisby having removed himself from the play. If he mistimes it he gets a card.

Key fundamentals when learning the game especially in defense.  Must stay on your feet.

1 hour ago, Jovan said:

Must stay on your feet.

Yes and no. Slide tackling (if done well) can save goals, dispossess opponents and start counter-attacks. Kisnorbo slides very well in the box and has prevented a fair few goals. Paartalu combines both forms of tackling quite well too. 

Clisby is a work-in-progress but he has the right mindset. He is sure of himself when he tackles, even if he does misjudge some. He is improving just about every week for mine.

I've always liked Clisby. I don't think he's any different now compared to before. It's just that some people have a less biased view of him now.

I particularly like his confident attitude and for a young player that's great. Of course he's not perfect and learning his trade but I think he will improve with experience of some of the older guys around.

Edited by Ray
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ray said:

I've always liked Clisby. I don't think he's any different now compared to before. It's just that some people have a less biased view of him now.

I particularly like his confident attitude and for a young player that's great. Of course he's not perfect and learning his trade but I think he will improve with experience of some of the older guys around.

I'd have to disagree there. One simple comparison is to look at his first derby defending compared to the last one. 

• 4 weeks later...

Was very average early on. His last few games he has been pretty good. Accumulation of yellows he has lost his spot.

Looking forward imo I would start him ahead of Zullo in a back 4, obviously he's more likely with 3 cbs. I know Zullo offers more going forward but overall he hasn't really demanded a starting spot.

Also another point with the 433 Mooy played better similar to early season and was alot deeper at times and alternatively Novillo looked less effective compared to when we played 352. 

Just wondering whether the changed formation had a direct factor in both Novillos and Mooy's performance Saturday. 

20 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Also another point with the 433 Mooy played better similar to early season and was alot deeper at times and alternatively Novillo looked less effective compared to when we played 352. 

Just wondering whether the changed formation had a direct factor in both Novillos and Mooy's performance Saturday. 

I think so mate.

So how do we get the best of both of them whilst making sure our defence is soild? Do we look at a 4-4-2? Or 4-2-2-2? or????

6 hours ago, rass said:

I think so mate.

So how do we get the best of both of them whilst making sure our defence is soild? Do we look at a 4-4-2? Or 4-2-2-2? or????

I think Harry should just play narrower - ie we should play lop sided with Fitzy like a traditional winger and Harry playing more like an inside left (remember them?) going forward. We would get our width by the left back overlapping.

My 2 cents 

• Like 2

Just now, belaguttman said:

Its less about the actual formation than it is about the way the players are used, what runs Harry is asked to make, which part of the field in attack or defence, how much defensive work versus forward runs. This can be refined, well, at least by the next coach

I agree, but a player can't do what they need to do if they are playing on the wrong part of the pitch.