Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

39 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Id like to see us go back to South America. 

Weve now got affiliated clubs in Brazil and Uruguay, we should really get some blokes from there.

Completely agree. Our recruits from there have been pretty good!

Although 5 out of 11 starting players are departing (Bos, Jamieson, Berisha, O'Neill and Glover) plus a question mark over Tilio. Exactly where are the holes to plug in? Berenguer still has a year left so he could come in for O'Neill and Jamie Young is the replacement for Glover. VdV can play for Berisha. So for me, the two holes are left back and depth players. Personally I would like to move on Reis as I think he is way too slow these days and Berenguer who is injury prone.

And I forgot to mention that Ugarcovic (?) has been linked with City so he can replace Berisha.

10 minutes ago, NewConvert said:

Although 5 out of 11 starting players are departing (Bos, Jamieson, Berisha, O'Neill and Glover) plus a question mark over Tilio. Exactly where are the holes to plug in? Berenguer still has a year left so he could come in for O'Neill and Jamie Young is the replacement for Glover. VdV can play for Berisha. So for me, the two holes are left back and depth players. Personally I would like to move on Reis as I think he is way too slow these days and Berenguer who is injury prone.

And I forgot to mention that Ugarcovic (?) has been linked with City so he can replace Berisha.

Without going in to detail, if you don't think that the departures from the senior squad are a significant loss of talent from the club than I'd venture to say you'd be the only one on the planet.

From the squad both Rafa and Stokes are also on their way.
Players from the squad out of contract are Sutton, Hall, Berenguer, and Caputo.

Sure, the last two groups have had very few minutes in 2022-23, but that's also a significant part of the problem that the club is facing. You have to look at the squad, and the club, as wholes, the age, quality and experience of each player that remains, how they can relate and fit together as a team, and what the club has got coming up in terms of competitions. You're just looking at names and numbers.

1 hour ago, NewConvert said:

That's if we keep Berenguer, he is not a CDM so certainly will not just slide into O'neils role. If we do sign Ugarkovic then he will be the O'neil replacement. 

Obvious holes LB as we lost the starter in Bos and the back-up in Jamieson. If Lam leaves then we have a hole at CB as I don't have much faith in Nuno anymore. Looks like apart from Nuno only Hall is back up CB at this stage. Think we need another middy next to VDV and certainly not rely on Berenguer to be in the starting 11. 

If Tilio leaves then we will need another winger as Nabbout doesn't seem to be first 11 material at this stage. I would happily take Al Hassan Toure from MacArthur for another young talented winger...

• Like 1

I'll also say that City fans expect more than just "plugging holes." James Poole is touted to be the only full-time scout in Australia, and behind him sits a global network. Sure we're salary-capped and so on, but as far as I'm concerned "plugging holes" is not good enough for a CFG club.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Without going in to detail, if you don't think that the departures from the senior squad are a significant loss of talent from the club than I'd venture to say you'd be the only one on the planet.

From the squad both Rafa and Stokes are also on their way.
Players from the squad out of contract are Sutton, Hall, Berenguer, and Caputo.

Sure, the last two groups have had very few minutes in 2022-23, but that's also a significant part of the problem that the club is facing. You have to look at the squad, and the club, as wholes, the age, quality and experience of each player that remains, how they can relate and fit together as a team, and what the club has got coming up in terms of competitions. You're just looking at names and numbers.

It is a significant loss of talent. I feel that over two seasons we lost both Rafa and Cola hence our stocks are thin up front but not depleted. Our back line has been depleted. The loss of Stokes is also a problem but IIRC he only ever played on the right where we have Talbot and Galloway. In any case, this forum has always had issues that when the game has been won, the young bench players did not get a long enough run.

Also i did not realise that Berenguer's contract finishes this season. As I mentioned earlier, I would like to see Berenguer and Reis move on as they are too slow for the game. As far as visa players are concerned, I have faith that the global scouting network will find players to fill in three visa spots. But just as importantly, I would like to see some youth talent brought in to complement and chase those spots.

13 hours ago, MHFC-FAN said:

That's if we keep Berenguer, he is not a CDM so certainly will not just slide into O'neils role. If we do sign Ugarkovic then he will be the O'neil replacement. 

Just looking at his CV I would say that Ugarkovic is a step down from O'Neill. I want to see us take steps upwards rather than in the opposite direction.

Just in passing I see that Dylan Pierias is leaving Western United.

Edited by jw1739

59 minutes ago, neio said:

Off to WSW to link back up with Rudan is the strong rumours 

Dunno what to think. Galloway didn't have much of an impression in 2022-23. I reckon Pierias would be a good pick-up if he returned to us. Problem is that Bos has been playing on the left whereas Pierias plays on the right. But he'd be a bloody sight better than playing Reis out of position.

58 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Dunno what to think. Galloway didn't have much of an impression in 2022-23. I reckon Pierias would be a good pick-up if he returned to us. Problem is that Bos has been playing on the left whereas Pierias plays on the right. But he'd be a bloody sight better than playing Reis out of position.

Err...isn't Pierias a forward though and not a back??

If I may, folks, I request that if you are going to post a rumour or a confirmation of a transfer involving City, either "in" or "out," that you give your source (unless it is an "inside  source" or would otherwise compromise the source) and preferably the URL?

Thank you.

So, at this stage, 12th June 2023, the following players are contracted with City for the 2023-24 season:
Goalkeepers.
James NIEUWENHUIZEN (S) 3 years from 1st July 2021. (Club 21st April 2021)
Defenders.
Curtis GOOD  until 30/6/24 Contract extension (Club 11th January 2021)
Scott GALLOWAY until end 2024/25 Contract extension (Club 2nd October 2021)
Nuno REIS (V) 3 years (Club 17th January 2021|
Callum TALBOT 3 years (Club 24th May 2022)
Thomas LAM (V) end 2023/24 (Club 16th August 2022)

Midfielders.
Luke ORESTI (S) 2 years from 1 Jul 2022 (Club 4th January 2022)
Richard VAN DER VENNE (V) End 2023-24 (Club 22nd June 2022)
Emin DURAKOVIC (S) End 2023-24 (Club 2nd July 2022)

Forwards.
Jamie MacLAREN End 2023-24 2-year extension (Club 23rd September 2021)
Marco TILIO End 2023-24 (Club 20th October 2021)
Andrew NABBOUT 3 years (Club 10th June 2021)
Mathew LECKIE 3 years (Club 5th June 2021)
Arion SULEMANI (S) End 2023-24 (Club 2nd July 2022)

Just 14 players - not enough for a match-day squad!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Scott GALLOWAY 
Thomas LAM 

Lam is 99% certainty of ending contract and not returning next season. 

Galloway is on thin ice as he wants to be a starter/get significantly more game time. 

Also Tilio is 50/50 for a transfer overseas next season. 

Also believe we will be retaining Jordan Hall and trying to keep Berenguer but not as a visa.

4 minutes ago, MHFC-FAN said:

Galloway is on thin ice as he wants to be a starter/get significantly more game time. 

Also believe we will be retaining Jordan Hall and trying to keep Berenguer but not as a visa.

Lam will have to convince his daughters, they want to stay here, apparently.

24 minutes ago, MHFC-FAN said:

Well I guess that's the 1% factor then...

I’ve not seen anything credible that Lam and VDV are leaving. Saying goodbye on social media when going home isn’t anything to go by. 

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, CityWildcat said:

VdV now confirmed to be going back to Europe with Lam.

The exodus continues. ACL is gonna be, uh, ''testing''.

are you going by his instagram? cause it just looks like a family holiday

1 hour ago, MHFC-FAN said:

Any reason why Lam is ending his contract early?

34 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

I’ve not seen anything credible that Lam and VDV are leaving. Saying goodbye on social media when going home isn’t anything to go by. 

Seems strange to say things like "Goodbye Australia" and "Melbourne you were amazing" without actually leaving for good

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zanty said:

are you going by his instagram? cause it just looks like a family holiday

Any reason why Lam is ending his contract early?

He has not minced his words on Instagram, indeed he has left on a mutual termination. 

I'd imagine it's a bit of homesickness, bit of maybe not enjoying Melbourne etc and a bit of being joined at the hip with Valon Berisha...

45 minutes ago, MHFC-FAN said:

He has not minced his words on Instagram, indeed he has left on a mutual termination. 

I’ve just checked his Instagram and there’s nothing like on that there. I’m talking about Lam.

He posted about their stopover in Singapore.

You’ve claiming it, but show us real proof please?

Edited by Mr MO

12 hours ago, jw1739 said:

So, at this stage, 12th June 2023, the following players are contracted with City for the 2023-24 season:
Goalkeepers.
James NIEUWENHUIZEN (S) 3 years from 1st July 2021. (Club 21st April 2021)
Defenders.
Curtis GOOD  until 30/6/24 Contract extension (Club 11th January 2021)
Scott GALLOWAY until end 2024/25 Contract extension (Club 2nd October 2021)
Nuno REIS (V) 3 years (Club 17th January 2021|
Callum TALBOT 3 years (Club 24th May 2022)
Thomas LAM (V) end 2023/24 (Club 16th August 2022)

Midfielders.
Luke ORESTI (S) 2 years from 1 Jul 2022 (Club 4th January 2022)
Richard VAN DER VENNE (V) End 2023-24 (Club 22nd June 2022)
Emin DURAKOVIC (S) End 2023-24 (Club 2nd July 2022)

Forwards.
Jamie MacLAREN End 2023-24 2-year extension (Club 23rd September 2021)
Marco TILIO End 2023-24 (Club 20th October 2021)
Andrew NABBOUT 3 years (Club 10th June 2021)
Mathew LECKIE 3 years (Club 5th June 2021)
Arion SULEMANI (S) End 2023-24 (Club 2nd July 2022)

Well, that aged well! It's uncanny that I type a new list and then it changes so quickly.

Any way, as per a few posts above, my email from the club came in at 7.08 this morning - both Lam and VdV returning to Europe for personal reasons.

Is this going to be the biggest rebuild in A-League history? I'm going to be bold and say that there has to be something more going on behind the scenes than just players seeking new opportunities and/or personal reasons.

Here's the latest:
13th June 2023 - the following players are contracted with City for the 2023-24 season:

Goalkeepers.
James NIEUWENHUIZEN (S) 3 years from 1st July 2021. (Club 21st April 2021)
Defenders.
Curtis GOOD  until 30/6/24 Contract extension (Club 11th January 2021)
Scott GALLOWAY until end 2024/25 Contract extension (Club 2nd October 2021)
Nuno REIS (V) 3 years (Club 17th January 2021|
Callum TALBOT 3 years (Club 24th May 2022)

Midfielders.
Luke ORESTI (S) 2 years from 1 Jul 2022 (Club 4th January 2022)
Emin DURAKOVIC (S) End 2023-24 (Club 2nd July 2022)

Forwards.
Jamie MacLAREN End 2023-24 2-year extension (Club 23rd September 2021)
Marco TILIO End 2023-24 (Club 20th October 2021)
Andrew NABBOUT 3 years (Club 10th June 2021)
Mathew LECKIE 3 years (Club 5th June 2021)
Arion SULEMANI (S) End 2023-24 (Club 2nd July 2022)

Edited by jw1739

8 hours ago, Mr MO said:

I’ve just checked his Instagram and there’s nothing like on that there. I’m talking about Lam.

He posted about their stopover in Singapore.

You’ve claiming it, but show us real proof please?

Well I did tell you so. Proof can't always be an internet link ya goose

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Here's the latest:
13th June 2023 - the following players are contracted with City for the 2023-24 season:

Goalkeepers.
James NIEUWENHUIZEN (S) 3 years from 1st July 2021. (Club 21st April 2021)
Defenders.
Curtis GOOD  until 30/6/24 Contract extension (Club 11th January 2021)
Scott GALLOWAY until end 2024/25 Contract extension (Club 2nd October 2021)
Nuno REIS (V) 3 years (Club 17th January 2021|
Callum TALBOT 3 years (Club 24th May 2022)

Midfielders.
Luke ORESTI (S) 2 years from 1 Jul 2022 (Club 4th January 2022)
Emin DURAKOVIC (S) End 2023-24 (Club 2nd July 2022)

Forwards.
Jamie MacLAREN End 2023-24 2-year extension (Club 23rd September 2021)
Marco TILIO End 2023-24 (Club 20th October 2021)
Andrew NABBOUT 3 years (Club 10th June 2021)
Mathew LECKIE 3 years (Club 5th June 2021)
Arion SULEMANI (S) End 2023-24 (Club 2nd July 2022)

Well we've got a front line and a few bits of defence but otherwise we're pretty much starting from scratch folks... It doesn't look pretty and I do wonder what is going on behind the curtain....

• Like 1

• jw1739 pinned this topic