Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

1 hour ago, citypool said:

I'm keen for the champions league. We really should be aiming to qualify 

You mean get out of the group stage?

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

We'll know the ACL Group draw in August and IMO we need to do well in that competition to lift the club and get the fans excited about something.

Likely to be a much tougher group than last time out. I'd assume we'll get a good J-league and K-league and maybe a SEA team...

11 minutes ago, MHFC-FAN said:

You mean get out of the group stage?

Likely to be a much tougher group than last time out. I'd assume we'll get a good J-league and K-league and maybe a SEA team...

You can say that again. You can see the direct entrants for the Group Stage, and those still due to play in the Group qualifiers here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2023–24_AFC_Champions_League. We are in the East Region.

There's some pretty good clubs there, and they are there not just to make up the numbers. Our performance last time around was not good enough to get out of a weak group, and the Grand Final result is not a good omen. 

The draw for the groups will take place on 24th August. Our first match will be 18-20 September.

We've got just over three months to get a squad, get them here, get them match-fit and motivated.

5 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

Looks like we're losing at least half of our first team. By my reckoning Glover, Sutton, Lam, Bos, Jamieson, O'Neill, Berisha, possibly Van der Venne, Tilio and Rodrigues. Next year will be a big rebuild, and probably a season or two of rebuilding.

Feels like a complete reset is happening

• Like 1

Lam would be a really big loss, in a salary cap league with visa restrictions. A visa CB that you know will give you a 7/10 at a minimum every week is crucial. 

The exciting thing is that we could have up to 3 or 4 empty visa spot and recently we have a very good record of bringing in very solid players. 

11 hours ago, CityBoyz said:

Based of Lam and his partner instagram looks to be leaving Melbourne heading back to Europe for good 

Wonder why Lam would be leaving?

https://keepup.com.au/news/city-star-who-owns-hotel-fries-shop-in-amsterdam-has-met-his-second-son-in-the-a-leagues/

There's still nothing on the club website that I can see even about Berisha.

Edited by jw1739

23 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I really hope that we are going to see more minutes from our up-and-coming players this coming season (provided results can warrant that). As for imports I'd rather see one of of good quality rather than two who really don't add anything over and above what a local player can.

We'll know the ACL Group draw in August and IMO we need to do well in that competition to lift the club and get the fans excited about something.

One of the disappointments of the just-completed season was how few youth players were able to get time on the pitch, that should be an important part of team development.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, fensaddler said:
Berisha, Sutton, Stokes, Rodrigues to depart. No surprises there so far.

Agree no surprises, but I'm disappointed that Rafa is leaving. I'm guessing that it's to get more match time. Can't blame him.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, fensaddler said:
Bigger news. Tommy and Aiden confirmed as leaving. As we expected.

Pretty much a complete rebuild coming. Can't help thinking there's a little bit more to this that we don't (and won't) know.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Pretty much a complete rebuild coming. Can't help thinking there's a little bit more to this that we don't (and won't) know.

Problem of success I think. Ours and the Roos. The world is taking Australian soccer and its players more seriously. Actually looking forward to the rebuild in some ways. Want to see us develop and bring through another generation.

• Like 3

Also want to put it out there. If Lam is officially leaving 1 season into his 2 year deal, then that is about as pathetic as our grand final performance...

2 minutes ago, CityBoyz said:

B16BE099-B34C-40D0-8BD7-1E7A54F6222F.jpeg

Nice little dig at the club over Jamo not getting a minute in the final. 

45 minutes ago, MHFC-FAN said:

Deserved  too. I had coffee this morning with one of the lads from our Gang. He's usually pretty reserved with his comments but he gave Rado a serve over it. I agree - very poor form indeed from Rado.

Good old Jmac. I'm critical of him after he's had a poor match, but you can't doubt his honesty and integrity.

I wonder how long Jamo will stay at City now?

Edited by jw1739

1 hour ago, CityBoyz said:

100% club should never had extended his contract past this season. Steadied the ship and then get a new manager in

I'm reserving judgement. He took over a team mid-season and took them to the Premiership. I'm concerned about his Grand Final performance and the failure to play future young first-team prospects this season; however, I'm prepared to see how he goes next season, and how well we recruit.

1 hour ago, CityBoyz said:

100% club should never had extended his contract past this season. Steadied the ship and then get a new manager in

Really don't understand the 2 year deal being made so early into the season. Kind of like being super excited to sky dive and jumping out without your parachute...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, belaguttman said:

I'm reserving judgement. He took over a team mid-season and took them to the Premiership. I'm concerned about his Grand Final performance and the failure to play future young first-team prospects this season; however, I'm prepared to see how he goes next season, and how well we recruit.

That's true. Whilst we had the likes of Tilio, Bos etc. we had no one coming through after them. Caputo saves a game for us and isn't to be seen after. Now we have no young players that have had some gametime going into next season. 

Regarding Rado I beleive that, normally, with a coach that has seen out the whole season, next season would be a big ask to finish top again. But because he's relatively fresh into the role i don't think he has the luxury to hide behind the post 'threpeat' honeymoon stage. First time hes building the squad and front the start of the season. If we're not pushing the top position he should be under some sort of scrutiny. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, n i k o said:

That's true. Whilst we had the likes of Tilio, Bos etc. we had no one coming through after them. Caputo saves a game for us and isn't to be seen after. Now we have no young players that have had some gametime going into next season. 

Regarding Rado I beleive that, normally, with a coach that has seen out the whole season, next season would be a big ask to finish top again. But because he's relatively fresh into the role i don't think he has the luxury to hide behind the post 'threpeat' honeymoon stage. First time hes building the squad and front the start of the season. If we're not pushing the top position he should be under some sort of scrutiny. 

It is a little concerning the lack of youth available to step up and contribute as they are all soo green.

Also with Rado unless we recruit well we may be nowhere near top spot next season...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MHFC-FAN said:

Also want to put it out there. If Lam is officially leaving 1 season into his 2 year deal, then that is about as pathetic as our grand final performance...

He’s such a lovely guy but year after year not standing up in these do or die games is also part of our problem too, him being our top earner as well. Playing with a player less at times as we can’t play him in with the ball on his feet.

It’s unpopular opinion I know I know and many will say there is no service bla bla (ignoring the miscontrols or turn overs in critical moments). 

Not being able to participate in common game play is costly in these one of games. Cummings and last year Priovjic showed this. 

Assuming Champions League is an ultimate goal, I can’t see how CL defenders are going to care about league goals scored in a team which creates 2x more chances than any other team in the league. In such games a little more is required. 

Burn me.

Edited by Mr MO

14 hours ago, MHFC-FAN said:

Really don't understand the 2 year deal being made so early into the season. Kind of like being super excited to sky dive and jumping out without your parachute...

@MHFC-FAN May I ask where your information on Rado's contract being two years came from? I've not seen that anywhere myself.

8 hours ago, CityBoyz said:

And what’s infuriating is that we can see it but club can’t while free agents like Ufuk Talay are gettable 

Depends what CFG's intentions are. I can never quite work those out. Maybe they prefer a manager/coach who does what he is told by Marwood and co. rather than someone who is going to be more independent?

27 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

@MHFC-FAN May I ask where your information on Rado's contract being two years came from? I've not seen that anywhere myself.

Depends what CFG's intentions are. I can never quite work those out. Maybe they prefer a manager/coach who does what he is told by Marwood and co. rather than someone who is going to be more independent?

https://melbournecityfc.com.au/news/rado-vidosic-appointed-mens-head-coach-on-permanent-basis

9 hours ago, Mr MO said:

He’s such a lovely guy but year after year not standing up in these do or die games is also part of our problem too, him being our top earner as well. Playing with a player less at times as we can’t play him in with the ball on his feet.

It’s unpopular opinion I know I know and many will say there is no service bla bla (ignoring the miscontrols or turn overs in critical moments). 

Not being able to participate in common game play is costly in these one of games. Cummings and last year Priovjic showed this. 

Assuming Champions League is an ultimate goal, I can’t see how CL defenders are going to care about league goals scored in a team which creates 2x more chances than any other team in the league. In such games a little more is required. 

Burn me.

Err...who exactly are you talking about? Lam?

46 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I swear it was announced after about 5 games coaching that they gave him a 2 year deal?? Maybe just a vivid dream.... 🙃

20 minutes ago, CityBoyz said:

Bit ironic that he got appointed on a 6-1 win and may possibly be terminated on a 6-1 loss...

1 hour ago, MHFC-FAN said:

I swear it was announced after about 5 games coaching that they gave him a 2 year deal?? Maybe just a vivid dream.... 🙃

Why was the club so reactionary to appoint him from caretaker to permanent after just 8 games with a record of 4-3-1 with 3 of the wins against pretty average sides in WU, MacArthur and Wellington 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, CityBoyz said:

Why was the club so reactionary to appoint him from caretaker to permanent after just 8 games with a record of 4-3-1 with 3 of the wins against pretty average sides in WU, MacArthur and Wellington 

It did seem like a real rush to appoint him, and I don't understand the rationale behind it. You would think it would be wiser to negotiate a new contract towards the conclusion of the regular season...

• Like 1

Folks, I think that we should continue any further discussion of Rado in the "Manager and Assistant Coaches" thread.

In terms of recruitment for next season and beyond, Petrillo has a big job ahead of him. I hope that we will see more evidence of looking for players from Asia, and from other clubs in the CFG stable. I feel that we have become a rather "Euro-centric" club, and IMO we need something to renew interest in the club or the slow drift of fans away will continue. And there's no point in signing visa players and then see them sitting on the bench. Further there's little point in running an academy, bringing players up to as far as the bench and then letting them stay there and eventually move to another A-League club.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Folks, I think that we should continue any further discussion of Rado in the "Manager and Assistant Coaches" thread.

In terms of recruitment for next season and beyond, Petrillo has a big job ahead of him. I hope that we will see more evidence of looking for players from Asia, and from other clubs in the CFG stable. I feel that we have become a rather "Euro-centric" club, and IMO we need something to renew interest in the club or the slow drift of fans away will continue. And there's no point in signing visa players and then see them sitting on the bench. Further there's little point in running an academy, bringing players up to as far as the bench and then letting them stay there and eventually move to another A-League club.

There is probably a good reason why we mainly sign from Europe, it is mainly because our season is aligned with the majority of Europe whereas J-League, K-League etc both play in a calendar year, We are a club who mainly operate with free transfers and a lot of AFC clubs contracts end in January, by then we more than likely have a full squad

• Like 3

• jw1739 pinned this topic