Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

Apparently this:

VAL MIGLIACCIO

APRIL 13, 2015

[...]

Despite [Eugene] Galekovic’s Reds contract ending in June 2016 it’s understood clubs from his home state Victoria are seriously investigating the possibility of luring the A-League’s reigning goalkeeper of the year.

With Melbourne Victory’s keepers Nathan Coe and Lawrence Thomas off contract mid year a potential goalkeeper’s spot is open for Galekovic to return to his former club since he left as an injury replacement player in November 2007.

Perth Glory gloveman Danny Vukovic is also believed to be on Victory’s radar.

Galekovic, 33, has also attracted interest from Victory’s rival Melbourne City.

City’s current No. 1 keeper Tando Velaphi is also reportedly off contract in June.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/adelaide-united-has-been-granted-at-least-one-home-a-league-final/story-fnibbvew-1227302088420

Just interesting to know that the club is seriously looking at bringing in a quality keeper. Hopefully Velaphi is kept (I don't see how the club could turn him away given the awesome form he's shown this season) and Redmayne departs, then a quality keeper like Galekovic joins the team ahead of next season.

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 1

The article fails to say at what point in time Galekovic has "attracted interest from Victory’s rival Melbourne City." If it was closer to the January transfer period it makes complete sense. If it's very recent then I wonder, with his excellent form in mind, what their plans are for Tando, or Redders even though he has a year left on contract.

Edited by n i k o

The best keepers in the league are Gelekovic and Vukovic but as you would expect they'd be asking for a lot of money. With Tando I think we have a good keeper at an excellent age who would be asking for nothing compared to Galekovic/Vukovic. With the way he's been performing this season I think we'd be very silly to let go of him.

• Like 1

Galekovic and Vukovic and Theo are the type of keeper a title is won with. Tando has been immense and most likely forge a long A League carrer, but at this point in time ( actually next season) Galekovic is a definite title winning keeper.

Can we secure him, doubt it very much. Cap pressure and Redmayne contract are big hurdles.

Tando is proving to be serviceable but if I could choose then I go with Galekovic.

I'd keep Tando and hopefully get rid of Redmayne, as commented before Tando wouldn't be asking for a big wage. A keeper is only as good the defence line that's in front of him. So if we could use the salary money that we would save from keeping Tando and not on a keeper like Galekovic then we could spend it on the outfield ie. Franjic

It is difficult. We all want to see Redders progress his career at another club and keep Tando. But early on the season we were all about getting a quality keeper and having Tando as the #2. Now Tando's form is very good and would be hard done by if he is released because a GK with a good reputation becomes available and the club can't move Redders. Its all too bloody hard...

Tando will be more than acceptable as number 1 keeper at approx. 100k or under. Certainly no need to go splashing out 300k on Galekovic.

See if we can offload Redders, and if so, sign up the next best rated young keeper and go from there.

Perhaps Bray might be worth a look at, he certainly impressed in the FFA Cup last year.

• Like 1

Tando will be more than acceptable as number 1 keeper at approx. 100k or under. Certainly no need to go splashing out 300k on Galekovic.

See if we can offload Redders, and if so, sign up the next best rated young keeper and go from there.

Perhaps Bray might be worth a look at, he certainly impressed in the FFA Cup last year.

I hear what everyone is saying, but don't underestimate the value of a quality keeper. You only have to look at Wanderers ACL campaign, Covic kept them in matches numerous times. 

I think after a gun striker the keeper is the next most valuable player, therefore that's were the money has to be spent to build a top line squad.

That's why I am confident the tards won't win it this season.

Edited by Jovan

I hear what everyone is saying, but don't underestimate the value of a quality keeper. You only have to look at Wanderers ACL campaign, Covic kept them in matches numerous times. 

I think after a gun striker the keeper is the next most valuable player, therefore that's were the money has to be spent to build a top line squad.

That's why I am confident the tards won't win it this season. But Tando is a very high quality keeper. He's played half the season and has the second most clean sheets in the league. Yes the defence has been very solid, but Tando has already proved that he can win us points single-handedly on several occasions. I think despite all the jokes and Tando worship on here a lot of people really underestimate him as an A-League number 1.

• Like 1

EXCLUSIVE: Controversial striker Kerem Bulut is set to leave Western Sydney Wanderers at the end of the 2014-2015 season amid considerable interest from overseas clubs and rivals in the A-League, with Perth Glory and Newcastle Jets among the suitors.

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2015/04/16/wanderers-gun-bulut-wants-out-foreign-clubs-circle

Seems the forum is onto it - he wants out! Although he is trouble, if he wants to stay in Australia, I think Melbourne would be a good city for him. It doesn't have the let's say "Western Sydney" influences, and it would be a good place for him to stay out of trouble. I think it kind of worked for Ben Cousins. But if he comes for a high price then no. Too much risk.

Apparently this:

VAL MIGLIACCIO

APRIL 13, 2015

[...]

Despite [Eugene] Galekovic’s Reds contract ending in June 2016 it’s understood clubs from his home state Victoria are seriously investigating the possibility of luring the A-League’s reigning goalkeeper of the year.

With Melbourne Victory’s keepers Nathan Coe and Lawrence Thomas off contract mid year a potential goalkeeper’s spot is open for Galekovic to return to his former club since he left as an injury replacement player in November 2007.

Perth Glory gloveman Danny Vukovic is also believed to be on Victory’s radar.

Galekovic, 33, has also attracted interest from Victory’s rival Melbourne City.

City’s current No. 1 keeper Tando Velaphi is also reportedly off contract in June.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/adelaide-united-has-been-granted-at-least-one-home-a-league-final/story-fnibbvew-1227302088420

Just interesting to know that the club is seriously looking at bringing in a quality keeper. Hopefully Velaphi is kept (I don't see how the club could turn him away given the awesome form he's shown this season) and Redmayne departs, then a quality keeper like Galekovic joins the team ahead of next season.

Would be fuckin awesome if we could some how get Vukovic next season.

My favorite gk besides Tando of coarse

We're going to be linked with every Tom, Dick and Harry player for the next six months.

If we've done anything this season we've strengthened our defence with Tando, Safuwan, Chapman, Kisnorbo, Clisby, Retre and Jaliens. We have Mooy, Melling, Paartalu and Koren in midfield.

I don't see that we need to make wholesale changes in these areas - some prudent adjustment and reinforcement is all that's required.

The weakness is up front, as evidenced by our list of goalscorers.

• Like 2

We're going to be linked with every Tom, Dick and Harry player for the next six months.

If we've done anything this season we've strengthened our defence with Tando, Safuwan, Chapman, Kisnorbo, Clisby, Retre and Jaliens. We have Mooy, Melling, Paartalu and Koren in midfield.

I don't see that we need to make wholesale changes in these areas - some prudent adjustment and reinforcement is all that's required.

I actually think our shite attack is a problem of JVS rather than the players. When you watch us go forward you can tell there is no real game plan which means that our attacks are predictable and slow. 

If JVS issnt sacked I would hope at the very least we get a great attacking coach as another assistant. I think this is what Triani does in a defensive sense and I know Ivan Jolic was hired because of his coaching of young players.

• Like 1

Just sign a number 9. We need a striker.

The clear difference between us and every other top 6 side is we don't have a goal scorer in the top 10.

Looking at the list there are only 2 Aussies on the list, so I think our priority with a visa slot (or 2) needs to be a striker.

Top Goalscorers Rank Player Club Goals 1 23px-Flag_of_Austria.svg.png Marc Janko 15px-SydneyFCColours.png Sydney FC 16 2 23px-Flag_of_Australia.svg.png Nathan Burns 15px-WellingtonPhoenixColours.png Wellington Phoenix 13 3 21px-Flag_of_Albania.svg.png Besart Berisha 15px-MelbourneVictoryColours.png Melbourne Victory 12 4 23px-Flag_of_Ireland.svg.png Andy Keogh 15px-PerthGloryColours.png Perth Glory 11 5 23px-Flag_of_Fiji.svg.png Roy Krishna 15px-WellingtonPhoenixColours.png Wellington Phoenix 9 23px-Flag_of_Australia.svg.png Archie Thompson 15px-MelbourneVictoryColours.png Melbourne Victory 9 7 22px-Flag_of_Brazil.svg.png Henrique 15px-BrisbaneRoarColours.png Brisbane Roar 8 8 23px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png Marcelo Carrusca 15px-AdelaideUnitedColours.png Adelaide United 7 23px-Flag_of_New_Zealand.svg.png Shane Smeltz 15px-SydneyFCColours.png Sydney FC 7 22px-Flag_of_Brazil.svg.png Gui Finkler 15px-MelbourneVictoryColours.png Melbourne Victory 7
  • Like 1

I actually think our shite attack is a problem of JVS rather than the players. When you watch us go forward you can tell there is no real game plan which means that our attacks are predictable and slow. 

If JVS issnt sacked I would hope at the very least we get a great attacking coach as another assistant. I think this is what Triani does in a defensive sense and I know Ivan Jolic was hired because of his coaching of young players.

This.  We've had various combinations of forwards over JVS' 4 years that should at least have been decent/good by a-league standards, and he's failed to turn any of them into a cohesive and dangerous strikeforce.  The main reason I want him gone tbh. 

This.  We've had various combinations of forwards over JVS' 4 years that should at least have been decent/good by a-league standards, and he's failed to turn any of them into a cohesive and dangerous strikeforce.  The main reason I want him gone tbh. 

Disagree.

If you look at the club's history there's been a few decent goalscorers. However the club has truly failed to keep a quality goalscorer or two for more than 1 season.

Season 2010/11 [JVS]:

Aloisi - 8 goals

Sibon - 7 goals

Season 2011/12 [JVS]:

Babalj - 9 goals

Season 2012/13 [Aloisi]:

Tadic - 6 goals

Garcia - 6 goals

Then there was last season, where the club's 3 proper strikers (Mifsud, Macallister, Golgol) completely failed to fire, and Williams became the team's sole goal-threat:

Season 2013/14 [Aloisi / JVS]:

Williams - 12 goals [4 goals under Aloisi, 8 goals under JVS]

Mifsud - 1 goal

Macallister - 0 goals

Golgol - 0 goals

In 2011/12 JVS turned Babalj into one of the league's best strikers (and also in 2011/12 he got 7 goals and 7 assists out of Dugandzic). And last season JVS was able to release all 3 of the club's proper strikers, Mifsud, Macallister and Golgol, and the team scored more goals without them. Further, Williams scored twice as many goals under JVS as compared with Aloisi - 8 goals over 908 minutes under JVS compared with 4 goals over 1022 minutes under Aloisi.

The big issue that's clear when all the seasons are looked at is the club has failed to sign a quality striker or two to play at the club for more than 1 season. This club has never had a Berisha like Brisbane had, or even an Archie Thompson (it actually goes beyond the strikers as well: this club has had no quality players play for more than 2 seasons at this club). That Melbourne Heart could jettison its 3 main strikers last season and score more goals without them shows how abysmal the club has been at recruiting strikers. So JVS deserves a little credit for conjuring goals out of last season's massively unbalanced squad, and for making the kids Babalj and Dugandzic leading A-League attackers in the 2011/12 season.

As for goal production this season, it's another complicated messy picture that deserves it's own separate discussion. I'm sure the club and the coaching staff expected David Villa to be around for 10 games over 3 months, not 4 games over 4 weeks, which would have given Melbourne City's attack this season a radically different complexion. Some blame can maybe be attributed to JVS for signing Kennedy. However I'm sure the wingers of the first several weeks, Dugandzic and Duff, were meant to support Kennedy out wide, but due to circumstances (like Duff's season ending injury) the team has ended up with Novillo and Koren, who are more direct players who cut inside (the opposite of Dugandzic and Duff).

So some blame be put on JVS for Melbourne City's inconsistent forward line with Kennedy in the second half of the season (however I certainly wouldn't let players like Kennedy, Williams and Dugandzic get off scot-free). But at the same the coaching staff deserve credit for having a team with the most goalscorers (19) over a season of all time in any Australian national competition. And then above the performance of City's forward line there's the results: the team has been winning regularly, with 8 wins, 5 draws and only 4 losses since December 2014. At the end of the day a coach should be judged on results, so it would be pedantic and nitpicky to overly emphasise the lack of fluency of City's forward line in recent weeks.

As for next season, I also think a 10 to 15 goal striker would work wonders in this team. Comparable to Adelaide United, I believe a quality striker who can play week in week out is maybe the only thing Melbourne City needs to challenge for next season. Hopefully though when the club does finally sign up a quality striker like that the player can play for at least 2 seasons, and provide the club with a consistent reference point in attack that the club has sorely needed since the beginning. 

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 4

Murphy your point about players not staying at the club to 'establish' themselves as goal scorers in the league doesn't really make perfect sense. I'm not saying it's not beneficial to have players stay and establish themselves at the club for longer periods but more so that there's enough proof with other clubs how a player in his first season can be a top scorer in the league. Just a few examples, Berisha in his first season scored 19 goals and is currently on 12 with a new team, Janko has scored 16 goals, Keogh has scored 11, Nathan Burns on 13 goals. For all of them this is their first season with a new team. As I said for me there's more than enough proof for me not to believe that it's just a time spent at the club aspect. The fact we have never had a true top goal scorer isn't an accident and for me 100% without doubt comes more down to the coach and recruitment staff than anything else.

Edited by n i k o
  • Like 2

Murphy your point about players not staying at the club to 'establish' themselves as goal scorers in the league doesn't really make perfect sense. I'm not saying it's not beneficial to have players stay and establish themselves at the club for longer periods but more so that there's enough proof with other clubs how a player in his first season can be a top scorer in the league. Just a few examples, Berisha in his first season scored 19 goals and is currently on 12 with a new team, Janko has scored 16 goals, Keogh has scored 11, Nathan Burns on 13 goals. For all of them this is their first season with a new team. As I said for me there's more than enough proof for me not to believe that it's just a time spent at the club aspect. The fact we have never had a true top goal scorer isn't an accident and for me 100% without doubt comes more down to the coach and recruitment staff than anything else.

But his post was long and included paragraphs and stats...

• Like 1

I agree a lot that the club has failed to recruit an excellent no. 9 in 5 seasons now. That the club has never signed up a Berisha or a Keogh is disappointing. And I'm especially disappointed Melbourne City didn't sign up a quality striker at the start of the season (not counting the Villa fiasco), as trying to sign one mid-season was far too late.

I guess my point was broader than the lack of a quality striker for multiple seasons.  I believe there's been far too much player turnover (players released and signed) each season (at least 9 players released at the end of each season, by my count). And Melbourne City never established a squad with quality, or at least reliable, A-League players. But especially IMO Melbourne City has lacked strikers like Archie Thompson or Bruce Djite, who reliably score several goals a season. 

In short, Melbourne City never built a good spine, from keeper to striker. If a team has a good spine, a good foundation to build upon, then I reckon the rest is just small details that can be sorted out fairly easily. That the team has ended up with a whole spine this season (Kisnorbo the only exception)--Velaphi, Kisnorbo, Chapman, Paartalu, Melling, Mooy, Kennedy (or a new striker)--goes to show how few valuable players the team had previously. 

Hopefully next season CFG can sign up a 10+ goals a season striker for Melbourne City. Perhaps Michael Zappone was on the money when he said CFG were looking at Drogba for Melbourne City, going off this announcement he made a few days ago..

Edited by Murfy1

Murfy1's comments about a lack of a solid spine/striker that is stable over a couple of seasons or more only reinforces the view IMO that the Sidwell et al/Heart entry into the HAL was very poorly resourced to make a serious attempt at winning silverware. It was a nearly break even enterprise based on quickly selling players to stay sufficiently afloat. That meant we lost quality younger players who we could have turned into longer term servants of the club (well at least for a few years before they went to other leagues).

I heard the need for a quality striker at the first fan forum held at La Trobe Uni and it has been true ever since.

• jw1739 pinned this topic