Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

I reckon we lack a good quality, young Australian striker.

Should be trying to secure one of Gameiro, Maclaren or Borrello.

Very true, though to me McLaren is clearly 3rd out of those 3. Getting either of the top 2 would be extraordinarily difficult though as their current clubs would surely hang on to them "like mongrel dogs"

I actually really like Maclaren for a number of reasons. 

a.) he's scored 5 goals this season

b.) he's only had 3 starts having come off the bench 13 times meaning he may be looking for more opportunities

c.) having played only 541 minutes this season, he has a very good goal-to-minutes ratio of 108

d.) he's only 21

e.) he's a Melbourne lad

Plus, he's also got quite a bit of ticker about him which is always a positive for mine.

Edited by Nate
  • Like 3

I reckon we lack a good quality, young Australian striker.

Should be trying to secure one of Gameiro, Maclaren or Borrello.

Very true, though to me McLaren is clearly 3rd out of those 3. Getting either of the top 2 would be extraordinarily difficult though as their current clubs would surely hang on to them "like mongrel dogs"

I actually really like Maclaren for a number of reasons. 

a.) he's scored 5 goals this season

b.) he's only had 3 starts having come off the bench 13 times meaning he may be looking for more opportunities

c.) having played only 541 minutes this season, he has a very good goal-to-minutes ratio of 108

d.) he's only 21

e.) he's a Melbourne lad

Plus, he's also got quite a bit of ticker about him which is always a positive for mine.

f) he has a swaggerlicious sleeve tattoo 

• Like 1

throw in another name, ryan babel, still only 28 and playing for 11th placed kasimpasa in the turkish league

was a wasted talent at liverpool many years ago. 

No idea what money he'd be getting at a mediocre turkish club but would be worth a go if you could get him under the cap, wouldn't be any worse than koren after all

throw in another name, ryan babel, still only 28 and playing for 11th placed kasimpasa in the turkish league

No idea what money he'd be getting at a mediocre turkish club but would be worth a go if you could get him under the cap, wouldn't be any worse than koren after all

Well Babel looked a talent early on at Liverpool. However, he comes across as someone that isn't particularly interested in working hard. Personally I think there are better options out there.

This guy is more focused on his rap career 

Dont think he'd come to Australia

Maybe a young Norwegian would prefer New York over Melbourne ? Direct flights to Norway & UK about 6/7 hours compared to here at least 2 flights 20+ hours

Oh, undoubtedly. But you put it to him - play the season in Melbourne and if it goes well for you there then there's the opportunity for you to graduate to NYCFC.

Especially when you look at the way the Australian and USA seasons sit relative to one another.

For this to work though we've got to 1) work out our visa position situation and 2) work together as a team within CFG. The latter seems to be not working too well what with Villa and Lampard. But hopefully they'll get it right in the next two seasons or so.

Edited by jw1739

http://www.nycfc.com/post/2015/03/31/new-york-city-fc-sign-goalkeeper-eirik-johansen

NYFC Sign a Man City academy goalkeeper, hopefully this is a sign of things to come for us next season.

Does that mean that we get to sign the NYCFC youth team goal keeper? That would fit with the franchise hierachy

No we would sign the NYCFC youth team goal keeper's Dad.

• Like 1

Looking at the current top scorers only 3 Aussies in the top 10, so I think we would struggle to find much better. In our favour he is a Victorian but plenty of clubs don’t have an Australian marque so they can offer more money. Really depends on price.

Top Goalscorers

Rank Player Club Goals 1 23px-Flag_of_Austria.svg.png Marc Janko 15px-SydneyFCColours.png Sydney FC 16 2 23px-Flag_of_Australia.svg.png Nathan Burns 15px-WellingtonPhoenixColours.png Wellington Phoenix 13 3 21px-Flag_of_Albania.svg.png Besart Berisha 15px-MelbourneVictoryColours.png Melbourne Victory 11 4 23px-Flag_of_Ireland.svg.png Andy Keogh 15px-PerthGloryColours.png Perth Glory 10 5 23px-Flag_of_Fiji.svg.png Roy Krishna 15px-WellingtonPhoenixColours.png Wellington Phoenix 9 6 22px-Flag_of_Brazil.svg.png Henrique 15px-BrisbaneRoarColours.png Brisbane Roar 8 23px-Flag_of_Australia.svg.png Archie Thompson 15px-MelbourneVictoryColours.png Melbourne Victory 8 8 23px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png Marcelo Carrusca 15px-AdelaideUnitedColours.png Adelaide United 7 23px-Flag_of_New_Zealand.svg.png Shane Smeltz 15px-SydneyFCColours.png Sydney FC 7 10 23px-Flag_of_Spain.svg.png Sergio Cirio 15px-AdelaideUnitedColours.png Adelaide United 6 23px-Flag_of_Australia.svg.png Bruce Djite 15px-AdelaideUnitedColours.png Adelaide United 6 22px-Flag_of_Brazil.svg.png Gui Finkler 15px-MelbourneVictoryColours.png Melbourne Victory 6 23px-Flag_of_Spain.svg.png Pablo Sánchez 15px-AdelaideUnitedColours.png Adelaide United 6 23px-Flag_of_Costa_Rica.svg.png Jean Carlos Solórzano 15px-BrisbaneRoarColours.png Brisbane Roar 6

Ex socceroo Scott McDonald open to returning to the Aleague next season. Thoughts?

In the Salary cap , or once Jesus's back goes, then as Marquee

Is he old enough to qualify as a Heart/City marquee?

He's 31 so might be a bit young

At his height when the football in the SPL had just began its real decline (So the football was still very reasonable at Celtic) he was very good but opposition coaches seemed to work out how to combat him after a while as his International Performances indicated.

I would not want to sign the club sign him on a decent wage or as a Marquee to play as the Number Nine in our current formation or even worse as a Winger in our current formation as it would be really robbing him of a good 40% of his ability to score goals as he works best alongside another Striker.

Ironically Kennedy is having similar problems as a sole forward and could be a very good match as Strike Partner for McDonald but that would require the club changing its "Formation Philosophy" and play two up front... however that would be pragmatic, then again JVS will hopefully be gone by then.

Scott McDonald would be a good pick up. You would have Kennedy who can hold the ball and etc, McDonald would be the hard worker that everyone was craving for as Koren doesn't provide that. Then you have Koren who will perform his magic once a game which will be enough.

But you can't fit all 3 in and Mooy. Doesn't work. I would assume he would be snapped up before Koren or Kennedy's contract is up.

• jw1739 pinned this topic