Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

Koren I wonder if there is anything we can do mutually to release him. He doesn't seem happy here and he's not performing for us.

He's a marquee, so I'm pretty certain he could have his contact paid out at the end of the season and the club could sign another marquee for next season. As far as I know there's nothing preventing A-League clubs from doing that, except for A-League clubs general unwillingness to cough up money to get things done.

I wonder if Shaun Wright-Phillips could be signed inside the cap, as a possible replacement for Duff? Duff played on our right wing, Wright-Philips could play on our right wing...

Wright-Phillips could be a pretty handy signing IMO, especially if an Australian like Kennedy (or perhaps Babalj?) could play up front for the team.

I haven't seen SWP since his Chelsea days. That guy would be nice lol but I don't think he's been the same for a while.

Does he still have his pace? I know he has connections to Man City to maybe that's where the rumour stems from.

Him and Novillo would be a very nice combo on either wing. Pace, attacking defenders and providing outlets.

Under the cap would be amazing.

• Like 1

Koren I wonder if there is anything we can do mutually to release him. He doesn't seem happy here and he's not performing for us.

He's a marquee, so I'm pretty certain he could have his contact paid out at the end of the season and the club could sign another marquee for next season. As far as I know there's nothing preventing A-League clubs from doing that, except for A-League clubs general unwillingness to cough up money to get things done

Didn't WSW pay out Vitor Saba's contract earlier this season?

• Like 1

He's a marquee, so I'm pretty certain he could have his contact paid out at the end of the season and the club could sign another marquee for next season. As far as I know there's nothing preventing A-League clubs from doing that, except for A-League clubs general unwillingness to cough up money to get things done

Yes, they did. By mutual consent, because he then joined Crotone in Serie B in Italy.

But was he a "marquee"? If not then his payout must be included in this season's WSW salaries. And if he was a marquee, have WSW signed another?

Anyway, WSW is a Sydney club. They would get better treatment than the City...

Yes, they did. By mutual consent, because he then joined Crotone in Serie B in Italy.

But was he a "marquee"? If not then his payout must be included in this season's WSW salaries. And if he was a marquee, have WSW signed another?

Anyway, WSW is a Sydney club. They would get better treatment than the City... I can't be 100% sure but I'm fairly certain he was listed as their marquee

He was called their marquee here: http://www.couriermail.com.au/video/id-9mcXhvbjrIUjuEDaiaGWLgPLYJEKGTbZ/Western-Sydney-marquee-Vitor-Saba-lands-down-under

He was on a two-year contract. 

Koren is on a two-year contract. So if WSW sign another marquee before the end of 2015/16 then it must be possible for us to do with Koren as they did with Saba. If we wish to of course. Koren has a far better CV than Saba.

Edited by jw1739

With BKF, I'm not sure that we have much chance really, with WSW having no marquee signed for next season yet.

He would likely be asking for signicant cash and that may well limit cap space for other weaker areas of the squad.

Burns would be huge based on this years form, but his focus seems to be dragged very easily as soon as a contract comes across his desk. That happened this year when his transfer to China was apparently blocked by Merrick, which is hardly ideal.

Edited by Heart_fan

Khalfallah and Novillo talent wise would be sensational next season. Either wing would be sorted with pure attacking prowess. Mooy, Melling, Paartalu, Germano etc provide the engine and these two provide the cream.

Yes, they would. The problem with visa players is that the limit is five. Koren is already signed for next season. Safuwan and Novillo are popular choices on here to be retained if we can. Others possibly in the frame are Horsfield, Jaliens and now Khalfallah. Germano is on a number of lists as well. And it's only March...more names are surely going to come into play?

Khalfallah and Novillo talent wise would be sensational next season. Either wing would be sorted with pure attacking prowess. Mooy, Melling, Paartalu, Germano etc provide the engine and these two provide the cream.

Yes, they would. The problem with visa players is that the limit is five. Koren is already signed for next season. Safuwan and Novillo are popular choices on here to be retained if we can. Others possibly in the frame are Horsfield, Jaliens and now Khalfallah. Germano is on a number of lists as well. And it's only March...more names are surely going to come into play?

Yep and that list will only increase.

He wouldn't be the worst visa player we've had. In fact he'd be right up there. His season this year has been sensational. His wing play is sublime and we need to get better in that regard.

I'm sure we can obtain some talent outside of the a league. But when we have a tested league performer, is it worth paying the price knowing what we are going to get?

I'm hoping Germano won't be a visa player. If he is I wouldn't retain. Get him playing in the NPL for some club till he does.

Kew Jaliens I'm not sure on. Yes he's been good since his arrival but he's going to be what? 37 next season. Not sure on that.

I'd seriously be looking at ways to rid us of Koren after the season. As a marquee he's failed in all areas for me. His attitude has been poor, on field he's had one good performance and not much else, off field he's done nothing. Absolutely nothing. Very poor. We can obtain much better.

If we are going to challenge next season this is where we need to get it right more than anything. All 5 visa players have to contribute and be important players for us. Can't waste one.

• Like 5

Regarding Koren, Aloisi asked Paartalu the other night whether he had heard that there's a big marquee signing rumoured to be heading to City next season. I don't know if it's Australian or International though, or whether there's any truth to it.

Edited by n i k o

Difficult having a definite opinion on this. Out of the 5 visa spots one is taken by Koren. That leaves four, for which Safuwan and Novillo are popular choices. But for me the question is whether Mooy gets an offer from overseas - in which case we would desperately need to a quality replacement. And right now I don't think that BKF can step into Mooy's role. Also, would he fit JVS's game plan?

^^ What is JVS' game plan? I'm yet to see it and as Eric alluded to on Shootout last night, it changes anyway when things aren't going well.

Who knows if he will be in charge anyway.

Regarding Koren, Aloisi asked Paartalu the other night whether he had heard that there's a big marquee signing rumoured to be heading to City next season. I don't know if it's Australian or International though, or whether there's any truth to it.

I heard that too but couldn't work out of he was just fishing for news or if he had actually heard something.

Unless Koren decides to mutually terminate his contract, even CFG would likely not pay him out unless what they had on their radar was an offer too good to refuse.

I guess we will see, but I hope it's not another 10 game guest stint again. It just doesn't work.

Edited by Heart_fan

Yep and that list will only increase.

He wouldn't be the worst visa player we've had. In fact he'd be right up there. His season this year has been sensational. His wing play is sublime and we need to get better in that regard.

I'm sure we can obtain some talent outside of the a league. But when we have a tested league performer, is it worth paying the price knowing what we are going to get?

I'm hoping Germano won't be a visa player. If he is I wouldn't retain. Get him playing in the NPL for some club till he does.

Kew Jaliens I'm not sure on. Yes he's been good since his arrival but he's going to be what? 37 next season. Not sure on that.

I'd seriously be looking at ways to rid us of Koren after the season. As a marquee he's failed in all areas for me. His attitude has been poor, on field he's had one good performance and not much else, off field he's done nothing. Absolutely nothing. Very poor. We can obtain much better.

If we are going to challenge next season this is where we need to get it right more than anything. All 5 visa players have to contribute and be important players for us. Can't waste one.

It is educational to look at the visa players the championship winning sides had.  

• Like 1

^^ What is JVS' game plan? I'm yet to see it and as Eric alluded to on Shootout last night, it changes anyway when things aren't going well.

Who knows if he will be in charge anyway.

I heard that too but couldn't work out of he was just fishing for news or if he had actually heard something.

Unless Koren decides to mutually terminate his contract, even CFG would likely not pay him out unless what they had on their radar was an offer too good to refuse.

I guess we will see, but I hope it's not another 10 game guest stint again. It just doesn't work.

Heard JA say that to partalu too, As mentioned not sure if fishing for news or if he actually has heard something

Jailens won't have clubs lining up for his services next year, given his age. City should keep him around, allow him to train and help out the coaching staff, and keep him up their sleeve as a possible injury replacement player. It could actually be a strategy employed by the club, given financially City Group can easily afford it, to have 3 or 4 of these types of players that would be able step up as required as injury replacements. Could be a way to keep Germano around also.

Jailens won't have clubs lining up for his services next year, given his age. City should keep him around, allow him to train and help out the coaching staff, and keep him up their sleeve as a possible injury replacement player. It could actually be a strategy employed by the club, given financially City Group can easily afford it, to have 3 or 4 of these types of players that would be able step up as required as injury replacements. Could be a way to keep Germano around also.

Nice idea, but...isn't the catch that the man has to be registered as a player, and therefore counts in the squad? E.g. Peter Zois in S1?

Otherwise, all the clubs would be doing it.

Nice idea, but...isn't the catch that the man has to be registered as a player, and therefore counts in the squad? E.g. Peter Zois in S1?

Otherwise, all the clubs would be doing it.

Why not play them in the NPL so they can be registered as players.

Given that Jaliens is a visa player, why would he hang around? I know that PZ formerly of CCM chose to settle in Australia but would Jaliens choose to settl in Australia? Germano could be an entirely different story.

If he hangs around as a free agent, can he then be used as an injury replacement?

I guess given his age, a job for CFG at Melbourne City may be worth hanging around for, and if gets some time on the pitch as an injury replacement, then it's a bonus for him. He could also be loaned out to VPL clubs to keep his match fitness up.

Off topic, Paul Giannou who trialled with Heart a few times has been called up to the Greek National team. Great recruiting Aloisi JD. Another monumental fuck up.

It seems many have overlooked him for whatever reason.

I guess we would need to look at how much $$ he was expecting, especially with our former owners controlling the club bank account.

It seems Greece have become a fair bit more agressive lately in trying to lure players with greek heritage.

Don't remember Paul Giannou trialing with Melbourne Heart. I remember Billy Konstantinidis and another Greek Australian footballer, a wide midfielder or winger who also played for a while in Greece, but I don't remember Giannou trialling. I recall media reports last year that Giannou was interested in coming back to Australia, but I'm not sure how accurate those reports were as he never left his club.

I was rather keen for Melbourne Heart to have a look at Giannou a year ago, when the reports of him potentially returning to Australia first surfaced, so I'd consider it a pretty disappointing oversight if the club trialed Giannou and didn't sign him.

Speaking of ambition, according to Michael Zappone CFG are looking at Didier Drogba for Melbourne City.

Great footballer but his attitude and age seems less conducive to what we need.

Paartalu made it clear tonight on SEN that a club needs to look at bums on seats vs what's best for the team on the park.

A winning team playing an attractive, attacking brand of football will be more sustainable than any short term gimmicks.

Speaking of ambition, according to Michael Zappone CFG are looking at Didier Drogba for Melbourne City.

37 years old. Tbh he'd actually rip apart the A-League Nah, when he was at Galatasaray, he was lazy and didn't contribute much during matches.

Drogba on one leg would still rip the league apart tbh.

If he hangs around as a free agent, can he then be used as an injury replacement?

I guess given his age, a job for CFG at Melbourne City may be worth hanging around for, and if gets some time on the pitch as an injury replacement, then it's a bonus for him. He could also be loaned out to VPL clubs to keep his match fitness up.

Confess I don't know the details, but it's all to do with registration. But it does seem possible for a player to be registered with a non-A-League club, and play for them, and be loaned/transferred to an A-League club as a replacement at very short notice. For example, it is alleged that Wellington signed the Auckland City GK only just before KO in that infamous game at AAMI when we could only draw with their third team...Whether or not you could hang around and train as a free agent, I suppose you could because players do that while they are looking for a club. But you can't play without being registered can you?

37 years old.Tbh he'd actually rip apart the A-LeagueNah, when he was at Galatasaray, he was lazy and didn't contribute much during matches.

Drogba on one leg would still rip the league apart tbh.

He may well be able to, but he also has the potential to destabilise the rest of the squad.

We need a team playing together, and some attitudes don't exactly bring that to the table.

I reckon we lack a good quality, young Australian striker.

Should be trying to secure one of Gameiro, Maclaren or Borrello.

Very true, though to me McLaren is clearly 3rd out of those 3. Getting either of the top 2 would be extraordinarily difficult though as their current clubs would surely hang on to them "like mongrel dogs"

• jw1739 pinned this topic