Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

I'm ready for us to sign another player with an excellent CV who, for some astonishing and inexplicable reason, will become a hack the moment they become part of the club.

I don't think we've ever signed a player with an excellent CV. Harry Kewell's was pretty good. Koren and Harry Novillo's are 'good' as was Engelaar. That's about as strong as it gets. Nothing 'excellent'.

For me excellent means playing in a Champions League or at least Europa level for a number of years.You mean like Damien Duff or? Also you mention the Champions League, didn't Harry Kewell once win the Champions League? Also Robbie Weilaert played in the Champions League group stage/Europa league for several years. Patrick Gerhardt, Engelaar and even Josip Tadic all played Europa league. We also had David Villa for a while, a man with one of the best CV's in the history of the game. Plus Koren, a Premier League captain for several years, has a decent CV. We have had some very good players over the years. So why do they all go downhill when they get here? Obviously age is a factor, but there is definitely something more than that wrong at the club. Culture.

Edited by GreenSeater
  • Like 2

I'm ready for us to sign another player with an excellent CV who, for some astonishing and inexplicable reason, will become a hack the moment they become part of the club.

I don't think we've ever signed a player with an excellent CV. Harry Kewell's was pretty good. Koren and Harry Novillo's are 'good' as was Engelaar. That's about as strong as it gets. Nothing 'excellent'.

For me excellent means playing in a Champions League or at least Europa level for a number of years. You mean like Damien Duff or? Also you mention the Champions League, didn't Harry Kewell once win the Champions League? Also Robbie Weilaert played in the Champions League group stage/Europa league for several years. Patrick Gerhardt, Engelaar and even Josip Tadic all played Europa league. We also had David Villa for a while, a man with one of the best CV's in the history of the game. Plus Koren, a Premier League captain for several years, has a decent CV. We have had some very good players over the years. So why do they all go downhill when they get here? Obviously age is a factor, but there is definitely something more than that wrong at the club. Culture.

Missed Duff  fair call. I think he's form for us was fine.

As for Koren, I said when he signed, I don't think Premier League captain of a low Premier League/high Championship team is as good as being in a team (even as a fringe player) of a Champions League team

Just out of curiosity would it be worthwhile to have a smaller squad next season but increase the money available to new signings? That could allow the club to have a bigger budget for visa players who should be of a better quality. Having said that I note that Koren is on a decent packet yet has not delivered what would be expected of him. Ditto, it may be possible to offer Nathan Burns a bigger salary and have him under the cap.

The risk with that is that with a smaller squad we don't have the depth to cover the inevitable injuries during the season. Even now our competitiveness drops precipitously when we dig into the second choice players. The problem is that there'd be less of them

Presumably the second tier players will also be new to the club or this year's first tier players playing second banana. I am hoping that the amount of soft tissue injuries will continue to decrease and a review of the training regime will also decrease those injuries suffered during the week. It is a risk but I am wondering whether it is worth taking.

With FBK re-signing for the Victory, surely that gives us a better shot at Maclaren.. With Mate & Rambo likely to not be re-signed (is Williams out of contract?) then he must be a priority target as a first choice winger/back up striker. Can't think of another Australian player who I'd target over him for our forward line.

Why would you make a comment like that and not reply.

Just causing shit Tony and i dont like it :droy:

Hey don't blame me, it was that Greek construction worker again.

Plus he said wait until Thursday 10am or something like that.....

Edited by Tony999
  • Like 1

Some little birdie told me of a major signing coming up!

If past history is anything to go by, Major signing would mean:

a. We've signed Travis Major from CCM

b. Ticker/Bluey is returning next season

c. We've signed another sponsor on our shorts

Sooooooo excited

I'm upset about how true this is

Travis Major released by CCM today, it's all falling into place

• Like 2

Some little birdie told me of a major signing coming up!

If past history is anything to go by, Major signing would mean:

a. We've signed Travis Major from CCM

b. Ticker/Bluey is returning next season

c. We've signed another sponsor on our shorts

Sooooooo excited

I'm upset about how true this is

Travis Major released by CCM today, it's all falling into place

Burn ticker and bury the remains under 200 meters of concrete

More talk of maclaren to victory, i seriously hope we're making a play for him 

IMO we better get used to not having a clue about what signings we may or may not make. CFG has kept a very tight lid on everything so far, and I don't see that they will change their style.

I foreshadow a very frustrating off-season during which there will be a lot of speculation and disappointment for us as other clubs make signings, and no substance until our deals are signed, sealed and delivered.

IMO we better get used to not having a clue about what signings we may or may not make. CFG has kept a very tight lid on everything so far, and I don't see that they will change their style.

I foreshadow a very frustrating off-season during which there will be a lot of speculation and disappointment for us as other clubs make signings, and no substance until our deals are signed, sealed and delivered.

TBH this is one aspect of their behaviour I don't mind.  Why alert people to your moves?  They'll find out when the deal is done.

In the mean time we can just make shit up on this forum to amuse ourselves.

• Like 1

TBH this is one aspect of their behaviour I don't mind.  Why alert people to your moves?  They'll find out when the deal is done.

In the mean time we can just make shit up on this forum to amuse ourselves.

I don't see much wrong with a bit of media speculation, Christ we might even get some publicity for once  

What do folks think of Lustica and Petratos from Brisbane? Not sure of their contract situations, but both handy players who'd provide good value under the cap. Is there a list of all A League players coming off contract about?

Rate Petratos.  I think Lustica is a journeyman though.

To be fair i haven't seen a lot of both.

What do folks think of Lustica and Petratos from Brisbane? Not sure of their contract situations, but both handy players who'd provide good value under the cap. Is there a list of all A League players coming off contract about?

I like lustica, Petratos can be a bit hot and cold had a mostly indifferent season 

I like lustica, Petratos can be a bit hot and cold had a mostly indifferent season

Rate both. At worst are a better option than Ramsay and Duba at their best.

But Petratos looks lost without broich or Henrique

I like lustica, Petratos can be a bit hot and cold had a mostly indifferent season Rate both. At worst are a better option than Ramsay and Duba at their best.

But Petratos looks lost without broich or Henrique

Swap deal with Brisbane, they can have Murdocca back and we get Lustica

I like lustica, Petratos can be a bit hot and cold had a mostly indifferent season Rate both. At worst are a better option than Ramsay and Duba at their best.

But Petratos looks lost without broich or Henrique Swap deal with Brisbane, they can have Murdocca back and we get Lustica

• Like 1

• jw1739 pinned this topic