Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

43 minutes ago, citymad said:

Our formation laste year did not really include a classic 10. IMO we had 2 '8's. Berenguer/Metcalfe/Luna paired. I think we will continue woth this for the upcoming season. We played a single sitting 6. I do not see us playing a classic 10. Some articles i have read suggest the single 10 is dissapearing and not part of the modern tactical strategy. I don't mean that there are not players who act as creative playmekers, just that the structure of the 433 and its variants rarely (not Never) use this. We have only ever used it when we were protecting a lead or a draw for a few minutes at the end of games. The other part of this is that we have the LB sliding in to midfield in attack and this pushes both 8's higher into box area (ie dangerous) on both sides. This creates more requirements of the opposition to defend and possible L and R atcking options. 

So IMO we will not be trying to get a classic singly operating 10. 

I agree that we don't play with a classic number 10, but I tend to construe a reference to a number 10 as actually being a reference to a creative minded playmaker.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, citymad said:

Our formation laste year did not really include a classic 10. IMO we had 2 '8's. Berenguer/Metcalfe/Luna paired. I think we will continue woth this for the upcoming season. We played a single sitting 6. I do not see us playing a classic 10. Some articles i have read suggest the single 10 is dissapearing and not part of the modern tactical strategy. I don't mean that there are not players who act as creative playmekers, just that the structure of the 433 and its variants rarely (not Never) use this. We have only ever used it when we were protecting a lead or a draw for a few minutes at the end of games. The other part of this is that we have the LB sliding in to midfield in attack and this pushes both 8's higher into box area (ie dangerous) on both sides. This creates more requirements of the opposition to defend and possible L and R atcking options. 

So IMO we will not be trying to get a classic singly operating 10. 

That’s it - I think the point Heart of Oakleigh is trying to make that Luna and Berenguer aren’t creative and influential enough last season, I agree with this but looking towards this season coming they will be just fine.

Remember when Berenguer ran circles around a 16 year old Brisbane defender and we all praised him as a marquee, we might see more of this coming season!

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Mr MO said:

Interesting rumour in the news today that there will be a restriction on the marquee players this season, I can’t find out what the restrictions might be?

Something about the amount spent on marquees, sounds almost like a cap, I think the world game had something on it.

18 minutes ago, bt50 said:

image.png.d736733ed9cfb81f2e1c3be9cc32e011.png

People are misconstruing that line of the article.
The likelihood is that marquee spending will be cut so clubs can stay afloat, its not a suggestion that their will be new restrictions imposed.

beat me too it.  it's about reducing actual club spend than having a salary cap. 

remember that the likes of CCM and Newcastle traditionally haven't always had marquee players due to costs vs club financial stability - other clubs are simply now following suit (short term at least).

i also think that with all the travel restrictions on people coming into the country and the possible impact on A League clubs to have scouts overseas watch games in person ATM, it might be much more convenient for clubs to mostly stay the course with current marquee players only (ie JMac for us, Ninkovic at the smurfs, Bruno in Perth).  

makes the signing of Nabbout all the more positive.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mattyh001 said:

beat me too it.  it's about reducing actual club spend than having a salary cap. 

remember that the likes of CCM and Newcastle traditionally haven't always had marquee players due to costs vs club financial stability - other clubs are simply now following suit (short term at least).

i also think that with all the travel restrictions on people coming into the country and the possible impact on A League clubs to have scouts overseas watch games in person ATM, it might be much more convenient for clubs to mostly stay the course with current marquee players only (ie JMac for us, Ninkovic at the smurfs, Bruno in Perth).  

makes the signing of Nabbout all the more positive.

Agree, but even simpler than that, i just doubt many foreign players are interested in coming here right now. Not only is there less $$$, they'd also have to go through lengthy visa and quarantine procedures atm, and would effectively be locked in the country once they get here, until they decide theyve had enough or the rules change. Easier to stay at home, or at least closer to it, atm.

Edited by bt50
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, icantthinkofacoolname said:

Jake Brimmer departing Perth for family reasons, he's from Melbourne, soooo maybe? 

You would think we are fully stocked in his position. Would like to see another centre forward being add now they Najjar is gone.

11 hours ago, moops said:

I was thinking the same, but surely he would consider victards before us?

Yeh i would think guaranteed game time at the mongs is probably more appealing than being the 5th or 6th choice here at this stage of his career tbh.

15 hours ago, icantthinkofacoolname said:

Jake Brimmer departing Perth for family reasons, he's from Melbourne, soooo maybe? 

Given our depth and fairly full squad, I doubt we would sign him.

Mind you, if Delbridge does end up leaving then maybe.  IMO would need to be cheap tho due to our depth.  

Spider on the podcast with Simon Hill said ‘we’ve got players going to Bangladesh’.

I don’t believe any players have gone there yet, or if Spider was instead referring to players are considering it but perhaps an indication that it could be done and dusted for Delbo

4 minutes ago, Deluka said:

Spider on the podcast with Simon Hill said ‘we’ve got players going to Bangladesh’.

I don’t believe any players have gone there yet, or if Spider was instead referring to players are considering it but perhaps an indication that it could be done and dusted for Delbo

Was Spider referring to A-league players in general i.e. Australians when using the term "we've", as spider hasn't worked for City for over a season now so I don't think he would refer to City as "we"

56 minutes ago, Deluka said:

He may have gotten mixed up with players going to India  because Bangladesh got mentioned here https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/double-trouble-for-a-league-as-even-bangladesh-forges-ahead-in-pay-league

Just with the whole transfer situation City looking the most stable team at present...Glory only got 12 players, Adelaide have lost 3 players to Europe in the last few days and Le Fondre gone from Sydney 

8 hours ago, malloy said:

Was Spider referring to A-league players in general i.e. Australians when using the term "we've", as spider hasn't worked for City for over a season now so I don't think he would refer to City as "we"

Yeah he was referring to Aussies more generally but as far as I know Delbridge is the only one linked to Bangladesh which made me think it could be a reference to that

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

And does anyone really care any more? More and more the A-League, if there is an A-League, will look like Melbourne City plus a few other teams of City discards or former players.

Maybe you don't, but i certainly do. The A League is by far the league that im most interested of any sport these days. For all its faults its great entertainment imo.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, bt50 said:

Maybe you don't, but i certainly do. The A League is by far the league that im most interested of any sport these days. For all its faults its great entertainment imo.

Same.

For all its dysfunctional mismanagement, poor technical ability on the field and general lack of support from the terraces it's the only sport/league I have genuine commitment too and interest in. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bt50 said:

Ah, but I do too. And that's what annoys me about the way I see it going. Because it's only rusted-on folks like us that do care.

Edited by jw1739

2 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Same.

For all its dysfunctional mismanagement, poor technical ability on the field and general lack of support from the terraces it's the only sport/league I have genuine commitment too and interest in. 

I'm sport mad, and follow a host of sports and leagues. But the A League sits above by a mile for me, contrary perhaps to any logic. 
Indeed it might actually because of its perfections that is the appeal; you never know what you're gonna get and its thoroughly entertaining. If the A League was a tennis player it would be Nick Kyrgios; very good on its day but more often than not its lends itself to blow-ups, fuck-ups and days when it can't be bothered. As such plenty hate it, but its compelling viewing imo.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, CityBoyz said:

“Former Melbourne City defender Harrison Delbridge remains a free agent, with sources earlier this week indicating that, though there was interest, the 28-year-old has yet to find a club willing to meet his asking price. “

We've got Curtis, Windy, Rostyn and Kerrin Stokes as youth cover. We have sufficient full backs. We're not awash with defenders but we have enough, and plenty of quality. Delbo is gone and we'll live without him. Our squad is carrying less spare capacity, but in the current world that's to be expected. Only Sydney (but critical for them who replaces Le Fondre), and oddly WU (who seem quietly to have held on to the core of their squad from last year) appear to be doing OK so far. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CityBoyz said:

“Former Melbourne City defender Harrison Delbridge remains a free agent, with sources earlier this week indicating that, though there was interest, the 28-year-old has yet to find a club willing to meet his asking price. “

1 hour ago, fensaddler said:

We've got Curtis, Windy, Rostyn and Kerrin Stokes as youth cover. We have sufficient full backs. We're not awash with defenders but we have enough, and plenty of quality. Delbo is gone and we'll live without him. Our squad is carrying less spare capacity, but in the current world that's to be expected. Only Sydney (but critical for them who replaces Le Fondre), and oddly WU (who seem quietly to have held on to the core of their squad from last year) appear to be doing OK so far. 

i've got a bad feeling about this.  Windbichler and Good have injury histories that have room for concern, Griffiths (alongside being a midfielder come defender backup) is brain snap / slight mix up on a through pass away from a red.  Stokes is untested.

granted, we can't have 20 players in every positon - i just hope the club is playing a little hardball given the financial position the league (and thereby the salary cap) is in.  

as such, if his wage doesn't fit then so be it, i just worry we could be easily exposed come an injury or two.

Edited by mattyh001

I suspect he's just caught in an awkward situation where he is our 3rd choice CB and the one who is out of contract at a time when we are looking to pretty much sign everyone who isn't starting 11 on for youth wages. Feel sorry for him but considering half the league can't even field an 11 at this point I'm sure he'll get something relatively decent. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mattyh001 said:

i've got a bad feeling about this.  Windbichler and Good have injury histories that have room for concern, Griffiths (alongside being a midfielder come defender backup) is brain snap / slight mix up on a through pass away from a red.  Stokes is untested.

granted, we can't have 20 players in every positon - i just hope the club is playing a little hardball given the financial position the league (and thereby the salary cap) is in.  

as such, if his wage doesn't fit then so be it, i just worry we could be easily exposed come an injury or two.

Yes and no. Good was pretty much ever present last season. Windy is more unproven, but looked very strong at the end of last season. Likewise Rostyn looked solid in central defence when he covered the position last season, and is probably no more a walking red card than Delbo, who has plenty of form in that regard. You're right that we haven't seen much of Stokes, but from what we have seen he looks capable, and he is holding down a contract at City. 

1 hour ago, Deluka said:

Would be a shame to see Delbridge leave as I thought he could become a great club leader, but at the end of the day this is probably his window of opportunity to make some decent coin in Asia or elsewhere so wouldn't necessarily blame him.

I’m surprised nobody has picked us this fringe Socceroo. Would have thought the Indian league would be all over a towering defender.

• jw1739 pinned this topic