Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

13 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Maybe a bit off topic. 

If Maclaren signs and does become Marquee that to me is exactly what is wrong with the A League. 

A talented youngish player has a couple decent seasons in the A League heads off to Europe, struggles, gets loaned struggles, then gets rewarded with a lucrative contract back in the A League for basically not making it in the big time.

We are rewarding mediocrity and limiting the potential. 

Oh and don't get me started about the sausage stand. 

Not off topic at all, your second paragraph outlines exactly why I have my doubts that he worthy of multi year marquee deal. Just come back to Australia, reset your career and proof you are worthy - Bruno wasn't marquee in his first season either. 

21 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Those are current statistics for Toivenen, Le Fondre and Krishna. Those for Maclaren are a couple of years ago. Not a valid comparison.

Those are the stats when he played in the A-league. Very relevant in my opinion because if they are not then Bruno's aren't either.

Anyway, time will tell, we just have to see how he performs with us for the rest of the season.

Dont forget that he beat Bruno to the Golden Boot in 16/17

23 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Maybe a bit off topic. 

If Maclaren signs and does become Marquee that to me is exactly what is wrong with the A League. 

A talented youngish player has a couple decent seasons in the A League heads off to Europe, struggles, gets loaned struggles, then gets rewarded with a lucrative contract back in the A League for basically not making it in the big time.

Oh and don't get me started about the sausage stand. 

Yep. Banged on about it before. It’s one of the reasons the Socceroos are so poor. These guys (not all, but probably most) hit a rough spot they don’t dig in and try harder, they pack up and head somewhere easier.

That’s not how the golden generation did it.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, CityBoyz said:

It will typical city that this deal falls through just like the Ross with Aston Villa and Troisi deal. 

Bet we sign no one and Maclaren deal falls through and we have no striker for the rest of the season 

But but we have Joyce's golden child Wales!?

8 minutes ago, playmaker said:

Those are the stats when he played in the A-league. Very relevant in my opinion because if they are not then Bruno's aren't either.

Anyway, time will tell, we just have to see how he performs with us for the rest of the season.

Don't forget that he beat Bruno to the Golden Boot in 16/17

Exactly the stats prove he is a proven scorer in this league. Only thing is how he would perform playing Joyce ball

1 hour ago, Jovan said:

Maybe a bit off topic. 

Oh please!

Do people forget where Bruno came from do they?

In the 2 seasons prior to coming to us he scored 5 goals from 45 appearances.

1 hour ago, Jovan said:

You are basically describing Bruno here.

geeez

1 minute ago, playmaker said:

Oh please!

Do people forget where Bruno came from do they?

In the 2 seasons prior to coming to us he scored 5 goals from 45 appearances.

You are basically describing Bruno here.

geeez

Bruno wasn't given a marquee contract coming to Australia.

All applications to register a professional must be submitted by the new club
to the new association during one of the registration periods established
by that association. All applications shall be accompanied by a copy of the
contract between the new club and the professional. Equally, a copy of the
transfer agreement concluded between the new club and the former club shall
be provided to the new association, if applicable. A professional is not eligible
to play in official matches for his new club until an ITC has been issued by the
former association and received by the new association.
Annexe 3a
Upon receipt of the application, the new association shall immediately request
the former association to issue an ITC for the professional (“ITC request”). An
association that receives an unsolicited ITC from another association is not
entitled to register the professional concerned with one of its clubs.
Upon receipt of the ITC request, the former association shall immediately
request the former club and the professional to confirm whether the
professional’s contract has expired, whether early termination was mutually
agreed or whether a contractual dispute exists

Some light reading.

So as I read that. WE have to issue an ITC and request an ITC which has to be issued by the previous club (Hibbs, Damstart). So, there was another reg I was reading before this and it states that the ITC's must be issued by the deadline of the NEW association (we are the new association)

So what this tells me is that our deadline is midnight on the 31st (tonight) which is 1pm UK time (I think) which means if hibs cant get their target done and then release McClaren by 1pm UK time on the 31st (which is mid night tonight for us) then its curtains

1 minute ago, playmaker said:

Yeah and Jamie is not a Marquee until next season. I am sure there will be KPIs in the contract that need to be satisfied for that to happen.

You would hope so! If not, he can just sit in the stands as we have no problem paying our marque players for that.  

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, rass said:

This going down to the wire business is starting to get me nervous.

From what i am reading though, if we don't get Maclaren, then we'll have a dip at Taggart. At which point will we know that?

Why would Brisbane let Taggart go on deadline day 

https://www.foxsports.com.au/football/adelaide-united-are-set-to-confirm-the-signing-of-dutch-striker-jordy-thomassen/news-story/cb8a6d630a9145244603852a1b7357d4

Adelaide have a striker 

29 minutes ago, rass said:

This going down to the wire business is starting to get me nervous.

From what i am reading though, if we don't get Maclaren, then we'll have a dip at Taggart. At which point will we know that?

I'm finding the whole saga rather amusing TBH. Cash-rich City Football Group with a global scouting network can't find us two good players to sign in a mid-season transfer window?

• Haha 3

17 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I'm finding the whole saga rather amusing TBH. Cash-rich City Football Group with a global scouting network can't find us two good players to sign in a mid-season transfer window?

I think you'll find that players actually do there homework on coaches and clubs also!! 

I know for a fact, player's had been approached and the club were instantly knocked back. 

• Like 1

Apologies if this has been asked a million times before, but is this period a transfer period or registration period?

i.e. once the deadline has expired tonight, we can't get any transfers done.. but can we still sign free agents who don't have a club or is that it completely?

27 minutes ago, rass said:

Apologies if this has been asked a million times before, but is this period a transfer period or registration period?

i.e. once the deadline has expired tonight, we can't get any transfers done.. but can we still sign free agents who don't have a club or is that it completely?

We can sign free agents only after tonight deadline case in point Oli Bozanic last season who was a free agent

Edited by CityBoyz
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Harrison said:

Happy to be corrected but I believe we can only sign free agents that were released by their previous club before the end of the transfer window. 

11 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Correct.

So, in the case of Maclaren, he needs be released by Darmstadt (and the loan agreement with Hibernian terminated) by the closure of the window on 31st January...but is that our time or Scottish time?

Just now, jw1739 said:

So, in the case of Maclaren, he needs be released by Darmstadt (and the loan agreement with Hibernian terminated) by the closure of the window on 31st January...but is that our time or Scottish time?

@Dylan answered this above ^^

12am Aus time, which is about 1pm Scotland time

I hope we get J-Mac but its gonna be really tough. The ball seems to be in Hibs/Reading's court, they've gotta get McNulty which isn't entirely in there control. We've just gotta pray Reading accept an offer. If not we'll probably just have to survive with what we have for the rest of the season and try to finish for 3rd. Life could be worse.

22 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

21 minutes ago, haz said:

@Dylan answered this above ^^

12am Aus time, which is about 1pm Scotland time

*clears throat* well since after a quick skim of the FIFA regs I am now an expert. So,

Hibs has to cancel the loan deal with Darmstadt and then Darmstadt have to loan him to us. Darmstadt have to issue the ITC (like an application) before our window shutting, which is midnight tonight.

The issue is that ours seems to close earlier than any in Europe and the closing dates and times are set by the local association.

Edited by Dylan
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Dylan said:

The issue is that ours seems to close earlier than any in Europe and the closing dates and times are set by the local association.

Interesting thought. If the A-League’s transfer window closed the day after most European leagues’ windows do you think we would be able to get better quality signings? ie players who were looking for loans/transfers but they fell through

• Like 1

• jw1739 pinned this topic