Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

7 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

No, I think that it's an underwhelming signing, especially as a marquee (next season)

I think you need to look at this relative to our league and not based on how he has fared playing for Australia recently, which I imagine is what most people are doing now.

Fact is he is an Australian proven, regular goal scorer in the HAL, who has also scored regularly in Europe. This is why he would beĀ consideredĀ marquee status.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Am I alone in thinking that we could have set our sights higher than Maclaren as a marquee for next season and perhaps beyond?

two press conferences ago wazza stated that he is looking for an aussie player, imo Maclaren is as good as it getsĀ when compared to other Aus strikers

who do you reckon would be a better pick ?

Ā 

2 minutes ago, Afif Adam said:

two press conferences ago wazza stated that he is looking for an aussie player, imo Maclaren is as good as it getsĀ when compared to other Aus strikers

who do you reckon would be a better pick ?

IMO we're setting our sights far too low if all we're looking at for marquees are Australian players.Ā 

1 minute ago, jw1739 said:

IMO we're setting our sights far too low if all we're looking at for marquees are Australian players.Ā 

fair point, wonder if we're the only Aleague club to have an Australian marquee player if the deal goes through , but as long as he can bang them in ...I'm all for it

I don't have anything against us signing Maclaren - just questioning why the club seems to think he's marquee status.

I'm just bewildered as to where this club is going I suppose. We suspend Fornaroli, get rid of Caceres and O'Halloran, and latterly Malik, and seem to be making a supreme effort to sign as a marquee a bloke who, in effect, can't get a game for a Bundesliga 2 club.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I don't have anything against us signing Maclaren - just questioning why the club seems to think he's marquee status.

I'm just bewildered as to where this club is going I suppose. We suspend Fornaroli, get rid of Caceres and O'Halloran, and latterly Malik, and seem to be making a supreme effort to sign as a marquee a bloke who, in effect, can't get a game for a Bundesliga 2 club.

I totally agree. The only counter would be if you took away Fornarolis A League record he would been an even worse selection. But in the A League context 50 goals from 90 games (I think) is Marquee level.Ā 

Whatever way you look at it we are never going to get another Bruno especially in January.Ā 

1 hour ago, haz said:

Yea we need a striker

We do and a decent winger as well. MclarenĀ will do but itā€™s a little embarrassing that we just accept that he would be a marquee for 2.5 years - surely we can do better. Second tier Europe clubs arenā€™t impressed with him hence he can come back. Toivonen, Le Fondre those are real marquee players.

3 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

We do and a decent winger as well. MclarenĀ will do but itā€™s a little embarrassing that we just accept that he would be a marquee for 2.5 years - surely we can do better. Second tier Europe clubs arenā€™t impressed with him hence he can come back. Toivonen, Le Fondre those are real marquee players.

Toivonen is inside MV cap

I am excited of tbe prospect of maclaren but need to be convinced he is marquee standard

15 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Well just because heā€™s a marquee this year doesnā€™t mean he definitely will be next year.Ā 

3 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

Well just because heā€™s a marquee this year doesnā€™t mean he definitely will be next year.Ā 

Can we do that sign him on a 2-5 year contract and review his marquee status at the end of each season. I cannot he him being stupid enough not to have his contract state that he will a marque player for the duration of his stay

Just now, Inchcolm said:

Can we do that sign him on a 2-5 year contract and review his marquee status at the end of each season. I cannot he him being stupid enough not to have his contract state that he will a marque player for the duration of his stay

I doubt the contract will include a status. It will include a salary.

The club must then manage their squad to get under the cap and that has the provision for 2 marquees, so he might need to be marquee for this season but next season might fit under the cap. That is if heā€™s not on huge money. If the salary is too high it will just never happen.

2 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Marquees have to be approved by FFA. The meaning of a marquee may have been devalued in recent seasons, but I don't think that we should assume that we can just move players inside and outside the cap as we see fit.

Maclaren would fit what they call a marquee player, current socceroo and former golden Boot winnerĀ 

In the past they have approved players like Budzinski, Thwaite, Williams and this season Diawara

3 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

So are Troisi and Honda their marquees then? Regardless Toivonen would be marquee standard.

Yeah they areĀ 

Kind of illustrates the point I'm making that the scorers in the Victory/Sydney match so far are Toivonen, Troisi and Ninkovic, and then you look at the other forwards those two clubs have...and then you look at what City have and are thinking about. Absolutely no comparison.

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Kind of illustrates the point I'm making that the scorers in the Victory/Sydney match so far are Toivonen, Troisi and Ninkovic, and then you look at the other forwards those two clubs have...and then you look at what City have and are thinking about. Absolutely no comparison.

And Honda in that mix. Feeling Victory will win the league again. Fuck me

8 hours ago, rass said:

I think you need to look at this relative to our league and not based on how he has fared playing for Australia recently, which I imagine is what most people are doing now.

Fact is he is an Australian proven, regular goal scorer in the HAL, who has also scored regularly in Europe. This is why he would beĀ consideredĀ marquee status.

*Regularly in Scotland Let's not confuse the twoĀ 

9 minutes ago, Chris p said:

Other than Celtic I don't really believe it is. That particular stat really bares no relevance on anything, it's purely circumstantial that 3 Australian nt players happen to be playing in that particular LeagueĀ 

1 hour ago, Chris p said:

Ā 

Are you say that Rangers, Aberdeen, Kilmarnock, Hearts, Hibs orĀ St Johnstone would not win the A league. If you are we will agree to disagree.

(Celtic only have 2 not 3 it is Hibs that have 3Ā )Ā 

• jw1739 pinned this topic