Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

5 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

He's a complete knob. Not the sort of person CFG would want in their organization.

Obviously disagree but im wearing my blue tinted glasses on this one. Scott Munn did say at an FRG that the club would love a marquee who had played for a big premier league team that wasn't city. Looking at it objectively having an ex-England captain would be huge for the league.

15 minutes ago, thisphantomfortress said:

He played every game last season and 2/3rds of games this season, the a league is a lot slower and he'd only be expected to play a game a week. In my exceptionally bias opinion he'd have it in him, SIGN HIM UP

By that decline he would probably make 1/2 the games next PL season which would still be 20 something but knowing our luck/history he would do a calf 3 weeks into preseason  and struggle to get up by Christmas.

Lampard is now cooked at NY. 

Just not worth it. A quality CB is definitely a must but I'd be reluctant any past 33.

11 minutes ago, Jovan said:

By that decline he would probably make 1/2 the games next PL season which would still be 20 something but knowing our luck/history he would do a calf 3 weeks into preseason  and struggle to get up by Christmas.

Lampard is now cooked at NY. 

Just not worth it. A quality CB is definitely a must but I'd be reluctant any past 33.

Lamps was always going to burn out, through his mid to late 20s he played 164 consecutive premier league games. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, HEARTinator said:

We need a quality midfield duo - Caceras is till learning the ropes -, a strong and experienced defender to replace Paddy, our left side looks weak and needs attention. Luke Brattan hasn't played serious competitive football since leaving for ManCity in early 2015 so who knows what state he's in. We're taking a gamble with Gameiro who's coming off an injury - his goal scoring record is nothing to get excited about with 21 appearances for 5 goals. Franjic may well have peaked at Roar but hopefully gets it together next season. I'm still pissed at the way we threw away opportunities to get our hands on silverware this year. And we still have the elephant in the room to deal with .... :(

Good points there.

On Caceres tough, I'd say it's the catch 22 with promising young players: not good enough right now to star game after game, but he'll only develop into an A-League star with lots more game time. I'm torn about Caceres' role next season, the previous point is a decent argument that Caceres should start often (and I do think that Caceres can develop into a high quality player), but if we bring in Brattan and an international marquee midfielder then Caceres will almost certainly start on the bench.

Agree it's disappointing how little football Brattan has played. But still a player of his quality, in his prime age, deserves to start in an A-League team if he's fit (and doesn't have cornrows...).

I don't see Gameiro starting, so no real risk putting him on the bench once he's over his injury. Also Fornaroli played 29 out of 29 games last season, so I doubt being the backup to Fornaroli would be a strenuous role for a player.

Agree thoroughly with the last point. A real missed opportunity. I guess the good thing about the A-League is that the winning teams rarely backup (4 different Champions in the last 4 years, for example), so pretty much every team (bar the Champs, whose squads often get gutted just after winning, like Adelaide's already has been) has a real chance to win silverware in the new season. And with 3 trophies now up for grabs, Melbourne City surely can get its name on a trophy next season, if it just gets some more details right.

13 hours ago, jw1739 said:

We have 16 players signed for next season, with question marks over several of them for various reasons: Mooy, Fornaroli, Novillo, Gameiro, Garuccio, and indeed others (Kuzmanowski, Melling) have been mentioned as possible departures. Go though those 16 and identify who you identify as starting players - there's the answer, we need starting players, except goalkeepers, all over the park.

Outside that 16 only Fitzgerald is known to have been offered a deal for next season. Status of Caceres and Brattan unknown, and at last call nothing offered to Zullo. Two visa positions open at present, maybe more depending on Fornaroli and Novillo.

A lot of work to do.

Real good points. Especially that this club needs to settle the futures of players at this club. Only once the club's players with question marks over them have been re-signed or released can the club look to sign new players with confidence.

On Zullo, a sentence in a recent article implied that he's received an offer, and is contemplating it: 

Out-of-contract pair Michael Zullo and Nick Fitzgerald are considering new deals to stay on but are yet to sign.

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2016/05/05/signatures-mooy-and-fornaroli-focus-city

Regarding Caceres, I'm just assuming he'll stick around, given some media like this (where he sounds like he'll only ever play for Melbourne City IMO), him being the poster for next season's membership campaign, and the odd media report saying Melbourne "City are at the front of the queue to pick up Anthony Caceres" (source).

Overall though, nothing is known for certain unless it's officially announced by the club. So hopefully we hear some positive announcements soon. 

Edited by Murfy1

Went and watched LA Galaxy. I'm glad that I live in Australia. Football culture is non existent here in the USA. 25000 crowd with no atmosphere. Prefer 11k at City games. Watched Gerrard play off the bench for 20 minutes. I'm against signing Gerrard after watching him live for 20 minutes. Doesn't track back. Although he scored I would prefer a midfield he can track back. Would not survive the summer in Aus. 

• Like 3

From fox sports article http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/a-league/melbourne-city-coach-john-vant-schip-indicates-he-will-leave-club-after-next-season/news-story/26f43527115dda297d9a9d7da9a702cf

Anthony Caceres will stay in Melbourne, despite FFA’s moves to introduce ‘The Caceres Rule’, blocking any such loan deals in future;

Aaron Mooy’s transfer to Europe will be sealed within a month.

Negotiations about Bruno Fornaroli’s upgraded marquee contract continue.

City is believed to have requested fringe Socceroos full-back Tarek Elrich as a trade for Ben Garuccio, who Adelaide is trying to lure.

This is believed to be the hold up with offering Michael Zullo a new contract and the left-sided player has now attracted interest from Sydney FC and Perth Glory.

Edited by bellydrum

MELBOURNE City is planning for life after John van’t Schip, although the Dutchman will see out the final year of his contract.

The Herald Sun understands that van’t Schip has told the City board that he will not seek an extension to his contract and will return home in 2017 to be closer to his family.

It’s believed that City Football Group contemplated van’t Schip’s future but opted to allow him to see out the final year of his deal, despite reservations about resting key players in the FFA Cup semi-final loss to Perth Glory and the underwhelming finish to a record-breaking season.

Melbourne City coach John van’t Schip has told the club he will leave after his contract ends at the end of next season.Melbourne City coach John van’t Schip has told the club he will leave after his contract ends at the end of next season.Source: Getty Images

Brian Marwood, City Football Services Managing Director, has led the post-season cull with assistant Luciano Trani dumped while Ivan Jolic quit for family reasons.

The new chief assistant will be an overseas appointment and it’s believed that he will be groomed to take over from van’t Schip at the end of the season.

The faith in van’t Schip contrasts with CFG’s decisive action with Mark Hughes at Manchester City and New York City last year, where Jason Kriess was axed after a season and replaced by Man City youth coach Patrick Vieira.

Melbourne City heavy hitters, led by chief executive Scott Munn and football chiefs John Didulica and Michael Petrillo along with all head of departments are in Manchester for a fortnight of meetings with their CFG overlords plotting recruitment and off-field strategies for next season.

The post-season wheeling-dealing is moving into overdrive, while negotiations about Bruno Fornaroli’s upgraded marquee contract continue.

City is believed to have requested fringe Socceroos full-back Tarek Elrich as a trade for Ben Garuccio, who Adelaide is trying to lure.

This is believed to be the hold up with offering Michael Zullo a new contract and the left-sided player has now attracted interest from Sydney FC and Perth Glory.

In other squad news:

— Anthony Caceres will stay in Melbourne, despite FFA’s moves to introduce ‘The Caceres Rule’, blocking any such loan deals in future;

— Aaron Mooy’s transfer to Europe will be sealed within a month.

City refused to comment on van’t Schip and all transfer matters.

Players are due back for pre-season on June 27.
____________________________________________________________________________________________

That article made me happy for some reason. It's like we're finally getting closure

Edited by jeffplz

1 hour ago, bellydrum said:

Gotta say, it sounds like a potentially stupid idea that could backfire. Asking Adelaide for Elrich for Garuccio, while ignoring contract negotiations with Zullo. A conceivable outcome is that Adelaide doesn't decide to trade Elrich for Garuccio, so we don't get Elrich, and free agent Zullo signs with Sydney FC or Perth (or Brisbane), so we lose Zullo. And the end result could quite possibly be Clisby is our starting LB for all of next season...

Arguably, just re-signing Zullo and not trying to get Elrich (who I believe is more of a RB than a LB) is a much better idea. Better to play it safe and secure Zullo, than play it risky and not have Elrich or Zullo for next season.

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 1

• jw1739 pinned this topic