Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

1 hour ago, Heart of Melbourne said:

Jeez the FFA are trying really hard to stop investment in the league aren't they? Trying to put a stop to everything CFG does. Lets not forget that this move, whilst helpful for us, benefitted the Mariners massively. Because of City using a transfer fee, CCM were able to pay for their big name marquee in Luis Garcia. Without the transfer fee, Caceres would have left for free at the end of his contract and CCM would have gotten absolutely nothing. The FFA are absolutely clueless.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, GreenSeater said:

Jeez the FFA are trying really hard to stop investment in the league aren't they? Trying to put a stop to everything CFG does. Lets not forget that this move, whilst helpful for us, benefitted the Mariners massively. Because of City using a transfer fee, CCM were able to pay for their big name marquee in Luis Garcia. Without the transfer fee, Caceres would have left for free at the end of his contract and CCM would have gotten absolutely nothing. The FFA are absolutely clueless.

They want the game to grow, they want a strong league then pull out this shit? They want superstars yet block lampard? It wont be long before CFG pull out there money!!

It's ridiculous that the FFA cannot see that their restrictive measures, which block the likes of CFG from being able to invest in players to make a successful team that can truly become an Asian powerhouse, are holding the league back.

And they wonder why they can't get more interest from buyers for A-League clubs, in a global market.

Its time the FFA embraced opportunities from outside parties who want to be successful in this league. Sure CFG may dominate the league for a while, but their dominance and profile would soon attract other owners with the coin to compete, and the A-League would start to be viewed in the same light as the J-league and the Chinese league. 

The way FFA is going, they will fuck it up to the point where the comp will completely lose touch with Asia and it will be internationally insignificant.

CFG will not persist with a dud investment and eventually they will lose patience with the FFA and they will walk away.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, belaguttman said:

FFA will never forgive CFG for not buying SFC

They tried to buy SFC, but the Sydney owners refused. 

And Im not against the rule change myself, when the rules were designed they wouldnt have considered a situation like we're in. 

Edited by hedaik
  • Like 1

Does this mean we won't be able to sign Brattan? I wonder if CFG will sign guys from A league clubs-release them immediately, only for them to be snapped up by Melbourne City? That's what I'd do- mostly to piss people off

Edited by tommac

22 minutes ago, tommac said:

Does this mean we won't be able to sign Brattan? I wonder if CFG will sign guys from A league clubs-release them immediately, only for them to be snapped up by Melbourne City? That's what I'd do- mostly to piss people off

Nah can still sign Brattan as two A League transfer periods will have elapsed.

12 hours ago, AntiScum said:

lol Frank Lampard Rule

lol Anthony Caceres Rule

I`m also told Kaka (as laughable as it sounds) was prevented from joining on a guest stint

I have a bit of info that CFG will attempt to spite the FFA and blow the league apart

Concerning. I don't want them to trash the league in frustration, it's not like we can just go join another league.

18 minutes ago, Kinnibari said:

Concerning. I don't want them to trash the league in frustration, it's not like we can just go join another league.

I think this is exactly what needs to happen, FFA as good as they have been till now need to start another phase in the Aleague or move over and let owners like the CFG have more freedom to do whats needed. In the end CFG want to make this league bigger and better and we will see better players in the league, more crowds etc.

• Like 2

I'm going to speculate, and it's a bit outside the box, that CFG is happy with the progress of the team and that we didn't win any trophies yet in order to remove the stigma that they can simply come in and buy success. They're pleased we scored so many goals, we were entertaining, our home record was positive, we improved slightly over last year. They'll also be pleased that perhaps we're potentially not favourites anymore going into next season. The whole thing was a cover up, JVS poor tactics and team selections were done purposefully to thwart our own successes, to fall on our own sword. They're building up the frustration in fans so that it will be all the more sweeter when we do win.

Fuck I love the off season. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, HeartOfCity said:

I think this is exactly what needs to happen, FFA as good as they have been till now need to start another phase in the Aleague or move over and let owners like the CFG have more freedom to do whats needed. In the end CFG want to make this league bigger and better and we will see better players in the league, more crowds etc.

Totally.. we are already low in CFG's pecking order, this might sealed it. They will see FFA's lack of ambition a good reason to pour their resources elsewhere.

12 hours ago, jeffplz said:

Speculation.. if Melbourne City were to disintegrate due to CFG/FFA tension, who would you all support?

a club in EPL, which I have been supporting since I learn how to kick a football. stuff the A-League

1 minute ago, raw10 said:

Totally.. we are already low in CFG's pecking order, this might sealed it. They will see FFA's lack of ambition a good reason to pour their resources elsewhere.

I think most of us saw this coming after we signed Caceras. If a bunch of supporters could see it you don't think that CFG couldn't? I think without a doubt they knew this was coming and have been ready for it fo some time now. 

• Like 1

In all reality, none of the visa players should be in the cap, as well as an allowance for an Australian senior and youth player also outside the cap.  Loan and replacement player rules are OK, however, the overall squad numbers should be increased to allow for teams to be able to reasonably compete in Asia / FFA cup and for mid week games.  Also, there should be transfers allowed between A-League clubs.  Yes, this would probably mean that City dominate the league for a while, but by making the comp viable in terms of being to create a team that can be be successful in Asia, it will drive more investment and bring in more wealthy owners.

29 minutes ago, n i k o said:

I'm going to speculate, and it's a bit outside the box, that CFG is happy with the progress of the team and that we didn't win any trophies yet in order to remove the stigma that they can simply come in and buy success. They're pleased we scored so many goals, we were entertaining, our home record was positive, we improved slightly over last year. They'll also be pleased that perhaps we're potentially not favourites anymore going into next season. The whole thing was a cover up, JVS poor tactics and team selections were done purposefully to thwart our own successes, to fall on our own sword. They're building up the frustration in fans so that it will be all the more sweeter when we do win.

Fuck I love the off season. 

Nice ;)

14 hours ago, AntiScum said:

I have a bit of info that CFG will attempt to spite the FFA and blow the league apart

I really hope cfg are not this unprofessional. Unless perfectly executed it would almost certainly end up as a kamakazi mission. 

• Like 1

Right at the end of that article about the Caceres rule change was this:

'Meanwhile Melbourne City has written to the FFA seeking to have the underage visa player ban removed.

The rule blocks clubs signing Under 20 visa players. If City’s request is successful, it would pave the way for Man City youth players to be loaned to Melbourne, as they have done with fellow brother club New York City.'

I have a feeling FFA will allow this. 

9 minutes ago, KSK_47 said:

I really hope cfg are not this unprofessional. Unless perfectly executed it would almost certainly end up as a kamakazi mission. 

I'm not sure that it's necessarily unprofessional is it? CFG have put a considerable investment into Melbourne CFA and IMO it's reasonable for them to do what they can to protect that investment.

Anyway, back to the nub of the problem, which I see as the inability of FFA to manage football in this country effectively. Just a day or so after announcing an "historic co-operation agreement" with the J-League, it threatens to introduce a rule that restricts the ability of some club owners to manage their squads as they wish. The latter is micromanagement at its worst, and a perfect example of one step forwards and then two steps backwards. This is my biggest concern - not any one individual "Lampard Rule" or "Caceres Rule" or "Jersey Colours" rule, but that investors and potential investors cannot see a clear pathway ahead.

I don't see CFG pulling out of Melbourne, but I could see them selling down their stake in Melbourne City if FFA continues to block what they want to do. The possible entry of a CFG club into the Chinese Super League might encourage them to do this.

That's my polite version of suggesting that FFA are a bunch of fucking idiots (yes, you heard gentleman JW saying that).

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I'm not sure that it's necessarily unprofessional is it? CFG have put a considerable investment into Melbourne CFA and IMO it's reasonable for them to do what they can to protect that investment.

Anyway, back to the nub of the problem, which I see as the inability of FFA to manage football in this country effectively. Just a day or so after announcing an "historic co-operation agreement" with the J-League, it threatens to introduce a rule that restricts the ability of some club owners to manage their squads as they wish. The latter is micromanagement at its worst, and a perfect example of one step forwards and then two steps backwards. This is my biggest concern - not any one individual "Lampard Rule" or "Caceres Rule" or "Jersey Colours" rule, but that investors and potential investors cannot see a clear pathway ahead.

I don't see CFG pulling out of Melbourne, but I could see them selling down their stake in Melbourne City if FFA continues to block what they want to do. The possible entry of a CFG club into the Chinese Super League might encourage them to do this.

That's my polite version of suggesting that FFA are a bunch of fucking idiots (yes, you heard gentleman JW saying that).

Yeah i would say blowing up the leauge out of spite is unprofessional.

Anyway I cant be bothered going into this whole thing. Not that i think the leauge is run as well as it should be but CFG bought into this leauge so they shouldn't be surprised by how its run

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, KSK_47 said:

Yeah i would say blowing up the leauge out of spite is unprofessional.

Anyway I cant be bothered going into this whole thing. Not that i think the leauge is run as well as it should be but CFG bought into this leauge so they shouldn't be surprised by how its run

But CFG would probably have expected that the FFA would be desperate to grow the league not obstructionist. Sure, they have to protect some of the lesser performing clubs but having better players and making it more attractive can only help everyone. Very narrow view by FFA.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, thisphantomfortress said:

But here lies the issue, the FFA keep moving the goal posts every time the CFG try something, the "lampard rule" wasn't an issue when Victory did it with Troisi and Rogic and nobody had teted the "colours rule" before the CFG. The CFG knew what they were buying into, but that doesn't mean the FFA haven just made up the rules as theyve gone along.

I for one think that the FFA are at risk of killing the goose that laid the golden egg, by being so difficult with the CFG it discourages any other overseas investors from purchasing clubs and all we get left with is unstable Aussie businessmen and foreign companies that fail to pay their players.

The leauge is run with the idea that the bigger clubs cant survive without the small ones, so rules are made to ensure that there is still a possibility that poorer clubs can still be remotely competitive. CFG knew this when they came here and their presence was obviously going bto throw up scenarios that have never been seen. Surely they cant be surprised when rules are changed to stop them being able to sidestep the cap.

Again. I dont necessarily agree that all of them are the best decisions from the ffa but you can hardly call the new rules surprising. 

1 minute ago, thisphantomfortress said:

But here lies the issue, the FFA keep moving the goal posts every time the CFG try something, the "lampard rule" wasn't an issue when Victory did it with Troisi and Rogic and nobody had teted the "colours rule" before the CFG. The CFG knew what they were buying into, but that doesn't mean the FFA haven just made up the rules as theyve gone along.

I for one think that the FFA are at risk of killing the goose that laid the golden egg, by being so difficult with the CFG it discourages any other overseas investors from purchasing clubs and all we get left with is unstable Aussie businessmen and foreign companies that fail to pay their players.

The leauge is run with the idea that the bigger clubs cant survive without the small ones, so rules are made to ensure that there is still a possibility that poorer clubs can still be remotely competitive. CFG knew this when they came here and their presence was obviously going bto throw up scenarios that have never been seen. Surely they cant be surprised when rules are changed to stop them being able to sidestep the cap.

Again. I dont necessarily agree that all of them are the best decisions from the ffa but you can hardly call the new rules surprising. 

• Like 1

Not sure why we even bother trying to predict what the FFA will do. 

If reports this morning are true that they will not deduct points from WSW after they lit flares and trashed the seating at Adelaide Oval on the weekend, despite already being on a suspended sentence because of the same behavior - because they've already suffered enough with another GF defeat.... well then that just shows how pathetically amateur this bunch of clowns really is.

All they do is protect what their own interest is, which is anything Sydney based.

Lel I'm just so fucking sick of the crying on this forum

There's nothing I hate more than whinging which is followed up by 0 action

Your choices are:

1)-Take some kind of action related to your qualms that doesnt involve telling 100 people on a football forum who have no power to fix it

2)-Stop going and contributing money

3)-STFU

FFS Enjoy the ride or get off.

FM1423-800x600.jpg

Edited by bt50
  • Like 5

25 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Your choices are:

1)-Take some kind of action related to your qualms that doesnt involve telling 100 people on a football forum who have no power to fix it

2)-Stop going and contributing money

3)-STFU

FFS Enjoy the ride or get off.

FM1423-800x600.jpg

You forgot

4. Stop reading posts that annoy you

2 hours ago, knutty said:

I think this is possibly still all part of CFG's plan to keep pushing for the the A league to be run independently. 

This exactly and not only will it take football to another level in this country but will also alow clubs not to be dictated by constantly moving the goal posts. As stupid as it sounds I would be all for an AFL style equalisation plan where other clubs are held up to take the game to another level.  The FFA arnt capable of taking the game to another level so why not let those who are successful at the biggest league in the world have a say.

3 hours ago, bt50 said:

It's the off-season. There's nothing much else to do other than whinge...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bt50 said:

But that kind of defeats the purpose of an internet forum though. I mean, half the shit i post on here i dont even agree with. I just find it therapeutic to endlessly and pointlessly complain into the abyss of cyberspace

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, KSK_47 said:

But that kind of defeats the purpose of an internet forum though. I mean, half the shit i post on here i dont even agree with. I just find it therapeutic to endlessly and pointlessly complain into the abyss of cyberspace

I always thought the point was to analyse the actual games and team and what we need to be better, and be up to date on the rumours and latest news. 

I couldnt give a fuck whether some bloke had a bad experience in the food line at the game.

• Like 1

Just now, bt50 said:

I always thought the point was to analyse the actual games and team and what we need to be better, and be up to date on the rumours and latest news. 

I couldnt give a fuck whether some bloke had a bad experience in the food line at the game.

Nah. People who like to properly analyse games and things of that nature tend to write for magazines or keep blogs and stuff like that

This new rule is hardly a big deal, and given we were circumventing the rules it was inevitable that they'd do something.

The real problem is that transfer fees aren't allowed between A-League clubs in the first place. Possibly the worst rule the A-League has. Would solve many problems. Only issue is I don't know why you would pay a transfer fee in a salary capped league, but that's irrelevant.

• Like 3

• jw1739 pinned this topic