Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

1 hour ago, Cityscape said:

Mooy being out the door soon is good news, means we can finally get a proper, massive marquee in. All contracts in Europe expire June 30th so we should expect big things.

Do you honestly think we will?

I would be rapt if we spent 1.5m to 2m per season. But I fear we will end up with just over 1m and really what sort of player will that be.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Murfy1 said:

Gotta say, it sounds like a potentially stupid idea that could backfire. Asking Adelaide for Elrich for Garuccio, while ignoring contract negotiations with Zullo. A conceivable outcome is that Adelaide doesn't decide to trade Elrich for Garuccio, so we don't get Elrich, and free agent Zullo signs with Sydney FC or Perth (or Brisbane), so we lose Zullo. And the end result could quite possibly be Clisby is our starting LB for all of next season...

Arguably, just re-signing Zullo and not trying to get Elrich (who I believe is more of a RB than a LB) is a much better idea. Better to play it safe and secure Zullo, than play it risky and not have Elrich or Zullo for next season.

Agree, I think that Zullo offers much more than Elrich if he can get fit and do a proper pre-season. I'd be disappointed to see him leave

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jovan said:

Do you honestly think we will?

I would be rapt if we spent 1.5m to 2m per season. But I fear we will end up with just over 1m and really what sort of player will that be.

John Terry. $23 million. Say no more.

I'm not getting excited at all. 

8 hours ago, belaguttman said:

Agree, I think that Zullo offers much more than Elrich if he can get fit and do a proper pre-season. I'd be disappointed to see him leave

I think the elephant in the room is "getting his body right". Everyone on this blog qualifies their assessment of Zullo based on getting his body right. Right now though, Zullo and CFG know his health status and perhaps CFG think that Zullo is not worth the risk or are looking at better alternatives because of this. Yes, other clubs may sign Zullo but they will also be aware of his medical history over the last four seasons and that Melbourne City has some of the best facilities/staff to get players through injuries and if they haven't been able to sort his body then what are the chances that other clubs will?

This is a hard choice.

Further to the Castelan rumour.

Newcastle Jets: Coach Scott Miller heads to Europe on recruitment drive

JAMES GARDINER
May 10, 2016, 11:59 a.m.

Coach Scott Miller is close to signing a European-based attacker for the Jets

ON A MISSION: Scott Miller plans to have the Jets roster filled, bar two visa player positions, when the squad assembles for pre-season training. Picture: Janathan Carroll

ON A MISSION: Scott Miller plans to have the Jets roster filled, bar two visa player positions, when the squad assembles for pre-season training. Picture: Janathan Carroll

COACH Scott Miller is close to signing a European-based attacker and expects to have all bar one or two places on the Jets roster filled when the squad assembles for pre-season training on June 27.

“We anticipate an announcement next week with regards to a player from Europe in the front third,” Miller said.

Talks are continuing with a number of Australian-players, but Miller dismissed speculation the club had made a play for released Wanderers winger Romeo Castelen, who he believed was headed to Melbourne City.

They have also been linked to James Holland.

Miller leaves this week for Europe on a recruitment mission but will hold off on filling the final two visa positions until the ownership situation is finalised and he has been given a budget.

“I don’t want to shop before I know my budget,” he said. “I am very patient with that. I will be spending a couple of weeks in Scandinavia and visiting Bromby and Copenhagen. Our contacts there are good. I like that area of the world and the quality of the players they produce. The players commence pre-season on June 27. Hopefully we will have all of our squad, maybe bar two visa spots, in and looking to prepare.”

The Jets, who finished 11 points out of the six in eighth place, have 15 players contracted for next season and Miller said, depending on the budget, they would most likely run with a squad of 21.

“If I can get a higher quality player in we will run with a squad of 21 or 22,” he said.

One of the additions is likely to be a keeper, with Mark Birighitti almost certain to head overseas.

Ben Kennedy is expected to get first shot at reclaiming the No.1 spot, but Liam Reddy could also be an option after the 34-year-old was this week released by Western Sydney Wanderers.

Former Jets midfielder Josh Brillante is understood to considering a return to the A-League and has been in talks with Sydney FC and Western Sydney.

The 23-year-old fringe Socceroo left the Jets for Italian Serie A club Fiorentina at the end of the 2013-14 season and has been on loan at Serie B club Como.

The Jets had their final training session for the season on Monday. The will break for six weeks but have been given off-season programs to follow.

“We have set benchmarks and expectations for next season with the view to the opposition and where we need to be at,” Miller said.

We anticipate an announcement next week with regards to a player from Europe. - Scott Miller

“Furthermore the medical and fitness staff have put together an off-season program that is quite comprehensive. I think they will be working fairly hard.”

Neil Kilkenny released from preston north end. Plays central midfield, good passing ability. Wouldnt look out of place in our midfield, thoughts?

obligatory youtube highlights vid, looks like he plays more as a deep lying play-maker rather than a number 10. 

Edited by fiji19

10 hours ago, bt50 said:

Talks are continuing with a number of Australian-players, but Miller dismissed speculation the club had made a play for released Wanderers winger Romeo Castelen, who he believed was headed to Melbourne City.

A handy player, and when fit (like most of last season) he's one of the most lively attackers in the league (however you don't won't to rely on his goal-scoring ability, and thankfully we wouldn't have to). Novillo---Fornaroli---Castelen would be a very good, very experienced and proven front 3 (and with Kamau and Gameiro off the bench, we'd have unprecedented attacking strength).

However, given that we only have 2 unused Visa spots, it would be a big call to use one of them up on another attacker, since we need another starting midfielder and another starting central defender. The starting defender should be a marquee to replace Mooy, and hence would have to be a Visa player, which would mean that the starting central defender would have to be Australian--which would make losing Wilkinson all the worse, as there aren't any better Australian CBs out there IMO. I've got no idea which Australian central defender we could sign, and quite possibly Malik could end up partnering Chapman in the centre of defence, and I'm not sure what I think of that TBH.

So I'm doubtful that overall Castelen would be a good signing, and it would pretty much look like one of JVS's trademark questionable signings, signing another winger when the team needed to strengthen the defence. 

Edited by Murfy1

20 minutes ago, Murfy1 said:

I'm doubtful that overall Castelen would be a good signing, and it would pretty much look like one of JVS's trademark questionable signings, signing another winger when the team needed to strengthen the defence. 

Don't want Castelen. 33 and with a horrendous injury record a few years ago is the last thing we need. But I doubt van 't Schip is making too many decisions these days - IMO Petrillo is the man doing that. From what I have read it seems as though van 't Schip is not among the City 'heavies' currently in Manchester, whereas Didulica and Petrillo are. 

I've said this all along, when it comes to recruitment, the spine of the team is probably the most important ( yes every position is important)

GK - covered, Sorenson

CB -  we need a top notch player, visa or other wise

CM / AM -see above

CF - covered Bruno

if we have to use 2 visa spots for those 2 positions, so be it

• Like 4

Just now, Jovan said:

Will be joining Man City.  Wenger: ‘It is true he is out of contract and it is a good opportunity for me to thank him for his contribution not only as a player but as a leader as well. I still think he can play and in the last month he has come back to a good physical condition. He would still be a very good player, everywhere’.

Read more: http://metro.co.uk/2016/05/06/wenger-reveals-arteta-could-be-guardiolas-first-signing-at-manchester-city-5864132/#ixzz48RoJg8SP

FFA willing to fund him as marquee.

5 hours ago, Kiro Kompiro said:

Will be joining Man City.  Wenger: ‘It is true he is out of contract and it is a good opportunity for me to thank him for his contribution not only as a player but as a leader as well. I still think he can play and in the last month he has come back to a good physical condition. He would still be a very good player, everywhere’.

Read more: http://metro.co.uk/2016/05/06/wenger-reveals-arteta-could-be-guardiolas-first-signing-at-manchester-city-5864132/#ixzz48RoJg8SP

FFA willing to fund him as marquee.

He will be joining Pep at City on the coaching side by all accounts.

31 minutes ago, Ruckoo said:

Perth chasing Carrick from United, surely we should be looking at him too.

Good on them. Not bad, but tbh I think we can do better again than that. Be interesting to see if we go for a name type player or someone a bit younger and more affordable for the marquee midfielder position.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, johnno cpfc said:

Which is why he was a bench player at Brisbane. No Thanks.

Id suggest hed be a squad replacement for trifiro.

As in unlikely to play much and on minimum wage. 

In that respect hes probably an upgrade.

If hes anything more than that as in min wage then yeh not at all keen

Edited by bt50
  • Like 3

• jw1739 pinned this topic