Melbourne Football

Melbourne Heart FC buy out - Man City, Melbourne City FC, etc.

AntiScum

we wont finish above 6th next season

Think you'll be wrong.

Last season our problem was our terrible defence. We started the season with a back 5 that included Redmayne, Weilart and Ramsay. The 3 worst players in their respective positions in the A League.

I couldn't see how we'd make the finals with a side like that (and I was pretty right, we only started accumulating points when all 3 were gettisoned). This season we will have zero "no-hopers" in the starting XI. Gives up a leg up straight away. Still can't see us making the top 4 though unless we bring in some serious quality, which i currently expect to happen.

So i say 6th and you say 5th? :P

Our defence has improved, no doubt. But too many games we dont turn up. Especially when we are expected to get the job done.

But the most critical thing by far is that when we have the ball you can tell they have no idea what to do, they look lost. The article where Paartalu was talking about no structure is absolutely spot on and daming against JVS.

Im going to go with history and say we are going to fuck up the visa spots again and stumble through another season playing to 4k crowds.

Think you'll be wrong.

Last season our problem was our terrible defence. We started the season with a back 5 that included Redmayne, Weilart and Ramsay. The 3 worst players in their respective positions in the A League.

I couldn't see how we'd make the finals with a side like that (and I was pretty right, we only started accumulating points when all 3 were gettisoned). This season we will have zero "no-hopers" in the starting XI. Gives up a leg up straight away. Still can't see us making the top 4 though unless we bring in some serious quality, which i currently expect to happen.

So i say 6th and you say 5th? :P

Our defence has improved, no doubt. But too many games we dont turn up. Especially when we are expected to get the job done.

But the most critical thing by far is that when we have the ball you can tell they have no idea what to do, they look lost. The article where Paartalu was talking about no structure is absolutely spot on and daming against JVS.

Im going to go with history and say we are going to fuck up the visa spots again and stumble through another season playing to 4k crowds.

Saying that the visa spots will be fucked up is a no brainer. In the five years that I have been following the A-League closely only Victory has had a successful squad of visa players and that was this season. Every club, even the Roar at their almighty best had a couple of duds; this gets overlooked by the brilliance of Broich and the success of Berisha.

But the key still remains in recruiting the correct visa marquee and better visa players all round.

Another championship = another set of supporters that are converting/staying with Victory. I mean kids, not adults. Kids will look up, see that success and will want to go for Victory. As for adults, well they are smart enough to make up their mind but hell, 6 years and nothing to show for it compared to Victory's 10 years and 3 championships.

Sure, we started 4 years later, and they had already had success and therefore dominated the Melbourne market, but since then Heart/City have had 0 success, and Victory have just notched up another title. It makes it hard for City to get out of the 6k attendance mark. 

You can go and waste money on big name players, but look at ADP. He was too good for everyone or everyone was too scared whenever they got the ball to pass to him, it was detrimental to the team. 

Tough road for CFG.

You are right Dylan it's not a huge difference!

I do think we can challenge top 4 if we can recruit well though, where as last year we were no chance.

I don't think JVS/tesla is as comfortable in his employment as many think/fear either.

(Now if JVS is really tesla as some have hypothesised and decides to stop trolling us by deliberately losing random games who knows what might happen)

• Like 1

Think you'll be wrong.

Last season our problem was our terrible defence.  We started the season with a back 5 that included Redmayne, Weilart and Ramsay.  The 3 worst players in their respective positions in the A League. 

I couldn't see how we'd make the finals with a side like that (and I was pretty right, we only started accumulating points when all 3 were gettisoned).  This season we will have zero "no-hopers" in the starting XI.  Gives up a leg up straight away.  Still can't see us making the top 4 though unless we bring in some serious quality, which i currently expect to happen.

Did you miss the semi-final?

Yes the defence improved with better players.  But the organisation is still pants.  We frequently look panicked and likely to concede.  This is and always has been a trait of JVS-coached teams.

As long as JVS is there, we will never win a grand final.  Quote me.

We might win a grand final if he gets long enough, has the best squad in the league and gets a bit lucky. But we will never come first in the regular season. 

Another championship = another set of supporters that are converting/staying with Victory. I mean kids, not adults. Kids will look up, see that success and will want to go for Victory. As for adults, well they are smart enough to make up their mind but hell, 6 years and nothing to show for it compared to Victory's 10 years and 3 championships.

Sure, we started 4 years later, and they had already had success and therefore dominated the Melbourne market, but since then Heart/City have had 0 success, and Victory have just notched up another title. It makes it hard for City to get out of the 6k attendance mark. 

You can go and waste money on big name players, but look at ADP. He was too good for everyone or everyone was too scared whenever they got the ball to pass to him, it was detrimental to the team. 

Tough road for CFG.

I agree with previous posts about last nights result being a terrible outcome. But for us nothing changes. Yes it may have been less painful had Sydney won but really at the end of the day they didn't look like winning.

The only positive for us is that it may create a greater sense of urgency to get things right. First with the management then the list.

This will be the last time i post this but if we get a 20+ goal striker most of the job is done.

Just get one.

The visitors are successful, have the Victorian colours proudly displayed, have the fans and atmosphere and have the general backing of the wider community as a club for everyone

Melbourne City represent Manchester City and the CFG. Who would you support?

• Like 2

If my team wins the premiership, I don't give a fuck how many others are following. I think some people are too fixated on how big our crowds are. Let CFG worry about that, cuz in the end they are the only ones who will lose out if they don't increase. And even then it's not like the a-league is bound by any FFP rules, so they don't have to worry about creating revenue from crowds to be able to spend.

• Like 2

I'd support Melbourne City Peter. I'd support them for the same reasons I started supporting them in the beginning, even though victory had a few titles under their belt. But after all those reasons you have listed for supporting victory I'm assuming then you would consider support them?

But quite frankly I don't give a fuck. If they're that good then people can go and support them. We need to focus on ourselves only, not some other club.

• Like 1

Too much focus/discussion about attendances and general comparisons with the Victory on here.

I couldn't give a shit if Victory dwarf us in attendances for the next 50 years, hell, I couldn't care if the rest of the league does. I care about this club:

-Being successful on the field

-Being enjoyable to watch on the field

-Building/continuing values of being active in the community and maintaining a positive and open connection with the fans

-Not measuring ourselves against the off/onfield success of Victory. The goal shouldn't be to be better than the Victory, it should be being the best club we can possibly be, focus on ourselves, not the Tards across town.

Pretty much this. 

We're a project. The tards hadn't done anything for years and have slowly built their club up to what it is now. 

The JA era set us back a lot. We now have the best facilites in football, the richest owner and football and a new opotimisim as well. We actually have owners who give a shit about us now!

Patience is key. We're getting their slowly. Give us 2 more seasons i reckon until we're real good.

The visitors are successful, have the Victorian colours proudly displayed, have the fans and atmosphere and have the general backing of the wider community as a club for everyone

They were thugs when I moved to Melbourne and they are still thugs now.

• Like 4

I wonder how CFG would respond to us hosting a Grand Final at the shit box home ground of the Visitors? I know how I feel about it

For Football Federation Australia, the A-League grand final was a great success but there's one aspect they aren't keen to see ever again.

On televison screens around Australia, more than 650,000 tuned in to the meeting of heavyweight clubs Melbourne Victory and Sydney FC.

Around the world, FFA says that number swells to a quarter of a billion people in more than 100 countries.

A-League chief Damien de Bohun hailed growing interest in the match.

"The global audience continues to grow, some 54 countries took the game live and another 50-odd countries on delay," he said.

"Somewhere between 250 and 300 million people would have watched the Hyundai A-League grand final yesterday which is a massive result for us."

While the television audience was the biggest, the crowd was the smallest in the 10-year history of the A-League.

Almost 30,000 witnessed Melbourne Victory take apart Sydney FC 3-0 at AAMI Park.

De Bohun said the boutique stadium created an "atmosphere unparalleled in Australian sport".

But FFA is working to ensure it won't host the A-League's biggest match again.

Etihad Stadium is the FFA's preferred venue in Melbourne for the grand final but on Sunday it was two-thirds empty for an AFL match.

The Docklands venue hosted just 18,170 people for Fremantle's defeat of Western Bulldogs.

De Bohun said another AAMI Park decider was "very unlikely".

"The sport has grown so much, the code has grown so much that our biggest games, our marquee matches need to be played on the biggest stages," he said.

"We'll work with the government and the stadiums to make sure it doesn't happen again."

Next on the FFA's agenda is a packed schedule of touring European clubs.

That begins in a fortnight with Spanish club Villarreal's visit to Adelaide and Brisbane followed by beaten grand finalists Sydney FC's hosting of English Premier League clubs Tottenham and Chelsea.

If there is an off-season headache, it might be Brisbane Roar.

In the Bakrie Group, the 2014 champions have want-out owners and have seen their managing director and football director leave the club in the past fortnight.

De Bohun said it was "too early" to determine whether an ownership change, which inlcudes the possibility of an FFA takeover, was needed.

"We're sure they'll get to where they need to over the coming weeks to be a powerhouse of the competition like they have been for the last four or five years," he said.

I'd support Melbourne City Peter. I'd support them for the same reasons I started supporting them in the beginning, even though victory had a few titles under their belt. But after all those reasons you have listed for supporting victory I'm assuming then you would consider support them?

But quite frankly I don't give a fuck. If they're that good then people can go and support them. We need to focus on ourselves only, not some other club.

The visitors are successful, have the Victorian colours proudly displayed, have the fans and atmosphere and have the general backing of the wider community as a club for everyone

Sure. That is why we all support the other Melbourne club. My post was looking at things from a neutral's perspective. I know the people I have brought to City games have not felt any connection and have gone on to support the visitors.

The Manchester City connection whilst giving money/resources and perhaps a successful team, still doesn't lend to any feeling of a club representing Melbourne. Therefore I see this as an obstacle to growth. Obviously a genuine attachment to a club beyond football results is important to me. This might not be the case for everyone though and results alone maybe enough to attract greater support to the CGF investment group.

Watching the final I tried to see Sydney as Melbourne City and the pale blue simply does not represent Melbourne. Looking at the visitors supporters with their fingers in the air etc. I didn't feel an association with them either.

From a neutral point of view though, the visitor's have the high ground. As Niko pointed out, City need to concentrate on building support on their own back. Apart from the rich overseas backing though, I don't see any attraction apart from the fact "we hate Victory". This on it's own though is not enough.

• Like 2

Sure. That is why we all support the other Melbourne club. My post was looking at things from a neutral's perspective. I know the people I have brought to City games have not felt any connection and have gone on to support the visitors.

The Manchester City connection whilst giving money/resources and perhaps a successful team, still doesn't lend to any feeling of a club representing Melbourne. Therefore I see this as an obstacle to growth. Obviously a genuine attachment to a club beyond football results is important to me. This might not be the case for everyone though and results alone maybe enough to attract greater support to the CGF investment group.

Watching the final I tried to see Sydney as Melbourne City and the pale blue simply does not represent Melbourne. Looking at the visitors supporters with their fingers in the air etc. I didn't feel an association with them either.

From a neutral point of view though, the visitor's have the high ground. As Niko pointed out, City need to concentrate on building support on their own back. Apart from the rich overseas backing though, I don't see any attraction apart from the fact "we hate Victory". This on it's own though is not enough. Firstly it would be ignorant(???) to assume there isn't a reason why Melbourne City supporters don't support victory. Victory was the only option for 5 years. So someone that, after 5 years, decides to support City must by default hate victory, no??

I think Peter you would find the biggest percentage of our supporters are in it because they felt they could make a connection with City as opposed to your theory that they simply hated Victory. Small example is in my group that I go to games with my old man and I hate victory but the other 8 people simply got involved with us because they enjoy watching and going to games. Remember the general dislike for victory on this forum is a small, very small, representation of the general City supporter opinions an thoughts.

Edited by n i k o

Its natural that the 'newbies' will follow a winner, and don't get me wrong, I've only been on board 3 yrs. The ones I know have no concept of what its like to told F*&k off flog by dads and their kids, have beer thrown on them, no idea who Muscu&t is and his trail of distruction, don't know what clean living Archie does in his spare time, a game which is built around thugs....Yes they have success, and we need some of that Jacob aggression, but let the 'leafy' ones join and see what it's really like.

Niko. I don't support Victory as I did not connect with them from the outset, finding them loud, proud and arrogant. And that is why I support Melbourne Heart.

So do you by default simply support City because of your dislike for victory?

I for one started following Heart because I hated Victory. I don't know what percentage of supporters also fall into this category but at the semi-final I sat on the wing away from where I sit during the regular season (near Melburians) and the boos for Victory and hate for Muscat and Archie were often louder and more passionate than the cheers for us.

Although it made for lousy viewing for City supporters last night, victory winning the Grand Final might have been the preferable outcome, because now CFG have to really get serious about making Melbourne City highly competitive heading into next season.

CFG have laid the groundwork--building a top class training facility, getting the scouting network familiar with Melbourne City's needs (so mid-season, at little notice, the club can sign Safuwan and Novillo), improving the youth set-up (2 new youth teams, the NPL teams) with the NYL team winning the youth league, and CFG seemingly installing a new fitness and physio department before next season-- and now they have to build on that and deliver the highly competitive squad that we all want to see.

CFG now have to make Melbourne City's team very competitive just to not get overshadowed in Melbourne (unluckily for the club and CFG, Melbourne Heart had shit owners for 4 seasons when victory went trophy-less, and this season CFG were up against a victory side that got its act together). The by-product of making Melbourne City highly competitive against victory should be that Melbourne City is among the A-League's very top clubs next season, as victory (obnoxiously) are currently the A-League benchmark.

And there are next to no reasons to doubt CFG's ability, as these guys got Man City to win the Premier League whilst Sir Alex Ferguson was still coaching Man United; they can compete against top clubs on the other side of town. So these guys can handle the running of our A-League club. Although CFG need to be more ambitious with Melbourne City heading into next season than they were this season, and CFG need to bring some more truly A grade players to Melbourne City (so Mooy isn't a one-man band again), their track record shows that they can get the job done.

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 6

Completely agree Murfy 1.. There is know coincidence that Victory got its act together at the same time CFG came in and took over Heart. When you sit back and look at the current landscape, we already have more than what anyone expected.. Of course when it comes to on field progress it's hard to be patient given that our first 4 seasons were pretty embarrassing for large periods and then we had to swallow the whole JA debacle.

I agree with your comments about how building a strong and competitive Melbourne City is not beyond the CFG. No one knows what is happening behind the scenes, or what plans CFG have in place. I can safely say that I had no idea that the CFG where going to buy the club until the deal was done, and I presume most of us didn't know either. Then the massive investment into the City football academy again took me by surprise, to see we now have those amazing facilities which are the envy of all clubs is truly amazing.

As hard as it is, it seems that now we must sit back, have faith and wait to see what develops in the coming weeks and months. But one thing is for sure, we can not afford another mediocre season of inconsistencies and bad performances...

• Like 1

Completely agree Murfy 1.. There is know coincidence that Victory got its act together at the same time CFG came in and took over Heart. When you sit back and look at the current landscape, we already have more than what anyone expected.. Of course when it comes to on field progress it's hard to be patient given that our first 4 seasons were pretty embarrassing for large periods and then we had to swallow the whole JA debacle.

I agree with your comments about how building a strong and competitive Melbourne City is not beyond the CFG. No one knows what is happening behind the scenes, or what plans CFG have in place. I can safely say that I had no idea that the CFG where going to buy the club until the deal was done, and I presume most of us didn't know either. Then the massive investment into the City football academy again took me by surprise, to see we now have those amazing facilities which are the envy of all clubs is truly amazing.

As hard as it is, it seems that now we must sit back, have faith and wait to see what develops in the coming weeks and months. But one thing is for sure, we can not afford another mediocre season of inconsistencies and bad performances...

Better go ask your greek construction worker for some more inside information :up:

MV got their act together way before CFG bough Heart. Their first step into rebuilding their club was to hire Ange for the season 2012-13 who began a clearing out of the team list by releasing nine players. Some additional turn overs at the end of that season and then by Muscat has revamped their playing list. So when MV hired AP, we don't even know whether Australia was in the radar of CFG. It just took time to get where they are.

• Like 1

MV got their act together way before CFG bough Heart. Their first step into rebuilding their club was to hire Ange for the season 2012-13 who began a clearing out of the team list by releasing nine players. Some additional turn overs at the end of that season and then by Muscat has revamped their playing list. So when MV hired AP, we don't even know whether Australia was in the radar of CFG. It just took time to get where they are.

So the key part was signing a competent manager...... hmmm :hmm:

• Like 3

all we have to do is sell Mooy extend willo and ramsays contract and we will win the league.

Yep, that's pretty much what we did under Sidwell & Co so as to balance the books and we're still living with the aftermath of that mentality today. It was always going to take a couple of seasons to cleanout the rubbish and build a solid silverware winning team. JVS has one season left to show what he can do. Maybe he really only has half a season to demonstrate that he really has what it takes. He needs to have a good pre-season and have the team in the top half of the ladder, preferably in the top 4 by around Christmas, to demonstrate substantial progress. Short of that and it'll be sayonara JVS.