Melbourne Football

Melbourne Heart FC buy out - Man City, Melbourne City FC, etc.

AntiScum

Is there any indication that the government actually would agree to sell?

Let's not forget here that none of the CFG actually own the stadia they play in.

No, they wouldn't sell due to the amount of tenants in it and that there are no other suitable stadiums for those teams.

It is going to be very very hard for the CFG to get a new stadium built in a suitable area as there is little room left in the inner city with good transport access,  which will be crucial as Melbourne is used to centralized city and that it is so geographically big. We struggle as it is with crowds and I couldn't imagine it if its built in an area that is hard to get to.

not to mention that Etihad was built with a no competition clause that seems to go on forever. Which is why the state government can't upgrade AAMI beyond the current sitting capacity.

Also upgrading AAMI Park is hideously expensive due to the way the roof/walls are constructed.

not to mention that Etihad was built with a no competition clause that seems to go on forever. Which is why the state government can't upgrade AAMI beyond the current sitting capacity.

Also upgrading AAMI Park is hideously expensive due to the way the roof/walls are constructed.

This as well. Apparently to extend the facilities to 50k will cost just as much as building a brand new stadium. Who let architects get in the way...

Getting there is not easy though.

But look to the future, if there was a big stadium there the transport would also be there.

This theory worked well with Waverley

Well the VFL built Waberley because it was having a spat with the state government. IIRC the VFL had a spat with both coalition and labour governments.

I think that if CFG kept the state parliamentarians onside then it would be easier.

Just buy AAMI park CFG!

I´m sure they have looked at it.. To be honest it´s my impresson that unless it involves some expensive real estate people in the arab emirates will hardly consider it a serious investment.

They bleeding love real estate... the more expensive the better :lol:

Buy MCG. Next!

The Latrobe University stadium that was in the masterplan certainly sounds interesting, but transport just isn't up to scratch to allow it to happen.

There's a tram out front, but the closest train stations are kilometers away.

To cut off the club from many of our fans in other regions of the city would also be damaging.

Going to the effort of renaming the club Melbourne City, with a logo containing the Melbourne flag, would also seem odd to only play matches in the outer north. It's strange enough we are based out there :)

Any ideas where this W-league team are going to play?

At the new academy ground in LaTrobe.

I thought that was just training pitches?..

So did I, but one of the pitches is proper pitch sized, and the announcement said they were going to play at "City Football Academy, Melbourne".

Any ideas where this W-league team are going to play?

At the new academy ground in LaTrobe.

I thought that was just training pitches?..

So did I, but one of the pitches is proper pitch sized, and the announcement said they were going to play at "City Football Academy, Melbourne".

They upgraded the pitches (2) and renovated an old building for the first team to use for the majority of this year which was finished by the time the season started as a kind of stop gap. Then the main centre was completed. So the women will be there, along with the npl team

https://goo.gl/maps/XWuNt

This second link shows where both are. The new centre is located along Crissane road to the left of that building mass and the street view above is that big rectangle directly north from the sports feild lake and directly below the baseball field. 

https://goo.gl/maps/gwOl8

Edited by Dylan
  • Like 1

...with the new team set to be based at the City Football Academy, Melbourne, where it will train on the Club’s Academy Pitches at La Trobe University.

Doesn´t really state that they are going to play at La Trobe does it..?

But whatever, we will have confirmation rather soon at a guess,

...with the new team set to be based at the City Football Academy, Melbourne, where it will train on the Club’s Academy Pitches at La Trobe University.

I agree, it is not confirmation that Melbourne City's W-League team will play at the Melbourne CFA.

I'd actually be surprised if they played there.

It's hard to say where City's W-League team will play. Victory's W-League team regularly play at a decent little stadium called Lakeside Stadium (home of south melbourne fc), and have also played occasional games at AAMI Park and even Etihad (often as curtain-raiser games before victory's A-League team).

I'd love it if Melbourne City's W-League team could regularly play at AAMI Park, curtain-raiser games or not. The stadium does have a bit of a busy schedule though, and it certainly wouldn't come cheap (what might make it feasible is that the team would only have to play 7 or so games at AAMI, because the W-League has such very short seasons). 

If over the longer term CFG could build a grandstand or two out at La Trobe, perhaps at the old training base, then that could be a pretty excellent solution IMO.. 

Edited by Murfy1

I agree, it is not confirmation that Melbourne City's W-League team will play at the Melbourne CFA.

I'd actually be surprised if they played there.

It's hard to say where City's W-League team will play. Victory's W-League team regularly play at a decent little stadium called Lakeside Stadium (home of south melbourne fc), and have also played occasional games at AAMI Park and even Etihad (often as curtain-raiser games before victory's A-League team).

I'd love it if Melbourne City's W-League team could regularly play at AAMI Park, curtain-raiser games or not. The stadium does have a bit of a busy schedule though, and it certainly wouldn't come cheap (what might make it feasible is that the team would only have to play 7 or so games at AAMI, because the W-League has such very short seasons). 

If over the longer term CFG could build a grandstand or two out at La Trobe, perhaps at the old training base, then that could be a pretty excellent solution IMO.. 

Even a simple grandstand like at epping. 

Edited by Dylan
  • Like 1

Apparently curtain raisers games are really expensive due to additional stadium hire costs (ridic I know). Quite a few players have come out and said that they think the cost of holding those games could be better invested elsewhere in the league. Still, would be nice to see at least one.

Edited by Kinnibari

Apparently curtain raisers games are really expensive due to additional stadium hire costs (ridic I know). Quite a few players have come out and said that they think the cost of holding those games could be better invested elsewhere in the league. Still, would be nice to see at least one.

More likely to do with staffing requirements. Since the full battalion of security, first aid, ticket sales, catering need to be there from the start when only a few hundred will turn up increases the cost. It gets worse when there are competing events apparently - since there appears to be one monopoly providing all services they don't have enough staff to cover two events simultaneously.

.....aaaaaaand just like that CFG's job to grow the supporter base got a little bit harder

The Visitors can do what they like, its up to us to be better, up to CFG to recruit better players, recruit a better coach and promote the team. They've shown that they can do it in Manchester, all we need is the same effort here

• Like 1

.....aaaaaaand just like that CFG's job to grow the supporter base got a little bit harder

The Visitors can do what they like, its up to us to be better, up to CFG to recruit better players, recruit a better coach and promote the team. They've shown that they can do it in Manchester, all we need is the same effort here

Yep, if they can do it in Manchester, they can do it here, even with the salary cap and all that.

we wont finish above 6th next season

Think you'll be wrong.

Last season our problem was our terrible defence.  We started the season with a back 5 that included Redmayne, Weilart and Ramsay.  The 3 worst players in their respective positions in the A League. 

I couldn't see how we'd make the finals with a side like that (and I was pretty right, we only started accumulating points when all 3 were gettisoned).  This season we will have zero "no-hopers" in the starting XI.  Gives up a leg up straight away.  Still can't see us making the top 4 though unless we bring in some serious quality, which i currently expect to happen.

• Like 1

Think you'll be wrong.

Last season our problem was our terrible defence.  We started the season with a back 5 that included Redmayne, Weilart and Ramsay.  The 3 worst players in their respective positions in the A League. 

I couldn't see how we'd make the finals with a side like that (and I was pretty right, we only started accumulating points when all 3 were gettisoned).  This season we will have zero "no-hopers" in the starting XI.  Gives up a leg up straight away.  Still can't see us making the top 4 though unless we bring in some serious quality, which i currently expect to happen.

Did you miss the semi-final?

Yes the defence improved with better players.  But the organisation is still pants.  We frequently look panicked and likely to concede.  This is and always has been a trait of JVS-coached teams.

As long as JVS is there, we will never win a grand final.  Quote me.

• Like 1

The Visitors can do what they like, its up to us to be better, up to CFG to recruit better players, recruit a better coach and promote the team. They've shown that they can do it in Manchester, all we need is the same effort here Absolutely agree, but if that pack of navy blue flogs keeps winning while we pissfart around with poor marquees, ordinary management, a reasonably unexciting style of football- shit, our home jersey doesnt even look like we mean it- it is going to be very, very hard for us to get any decent foothold in the market in this city, let alone Asia (as I imagine CFG would like)
  • Like 1

Heading into 6th year in a league with absolutely zero to show for it (well almost)

While tards keep on cramming silver wear into their cupboard.

Annoying thing is cfg most likely will stay on course with jvs and give him more time.

This will not help to draw crowds next season as we know jvs is out of his depth.

Think you'll be wrong.

Did you miss the semi-final?

Yes the defence improved with better players.  But the organisation is still pants.  We frequently look panicked and likely to concede.  This is and always has been a trait of JVS-coached teams.

As long as JVS is there, we will never win a grand final.  Quote me.

you don't have to be able to win a grand final to finish higher than 6th.  That's what I was referring to in my post (finishing higher than 6th) and nothing else.  Not saying that should be our goal or anything stupid like that, just saying I think (based on what i know at the moment) we should be able to do it.

A debate on whether we can win the GF next season is something else entirely.

There are still a lot of non Victory supporters out there however sooner or later a lot of them will start to make up their minds about who to support.

This off season needs to be very very solid, in both recruiting and preparation for next season. The David Villa and Duff signings were great to show what the CFG were capable of doing and it created a buzz that everyone in the league to notice. But now it's about making real football winning decisions.. Bringing in player and building a squad that will be extremely competitive..

No more gimmicks or false advertising,

Melbourne City FC needs to become a power house in this comp.

The first game of the FFA cup is just around the corner...

• Like 1