Melbourne Football

Melbourne Heart FC buy out - Man City, Melbourne City FC, etc.

AntiScum

Of course that is the case. But if they can find a young player here that goes on to become a first team player for them, that would be worth more than they paid for Melbourne City, so I'm sure it's a factor as well.

I think it's more a side benefit than a factor in their decisions. You don't need to own clubs to find new talent. Udinese have been doing that perfectly well for years. They may however, be following the Udinese model in using subsidiary clubs to hold onto talent, giving them time to evaluate the players' potential.

• Like 1

I give the CFG three seasons here max. They'll soon realize we're not worth the trouble.

I've been told they are here for the long term mate by a very senior person new to the club. Briefly discussed the long term goals of the club.

I also believe we will be in sky blue and navy next season for a home strip.

That is my opinion. Not trying to be a cunt and it's obviously just my opinion but of course they'd tell a new employee in a senior role that they're in it for the long term. Soriano isn't going to say to his Melbourne staff that "You've only got a job for as long as the Melbourne loop hole is useful"

I honestly believe the only reason that Melbourne City exists in it's current guise is so that Sheik Mansour's family can stay cashed up long after all that oil money dries up.

It sounds like a long bow to draw but the royal family of the UAE and all the middle eastern royals for that matter aren't dumb. They know that their oil is a finite resource and are working on ways to keep their pockets full after it's gone. That's why you see all this tourism advertisements for the region and they have things like the Qatar grand prix and they build these incredible golf courses so that PGA golfers will play there etc.

The Manchester City thing is another arm of this "normalization" process of the region through sport that the oil tycoons are trying to achieve. Because the middle east, unfairly or not, has a bit of stigma surrounding it, they're trying to create this idea of "you love sport, we love sport, we're all the same".

The purpose we serve in the grand vision is almost entirely to sell intellectual property to Manchester City in an accounting loop hole so that they can look like they have a higher amount of revenue than what they really do. That's why we're called "City" and along with New York wear clone kits.

The crap about brand synergy, youth development and building a successful club in Melbourne is just secondary bullshit to make the club seem more legitimate. The resources they're allegedly spending to develop Youth could be much better spent in Africa or Japan or some shit where they have a much stronger football culture and are far more likely to develop first team players, the resources being used to create brand synergy and advertise Manchester City could be better spent on hiring more staff or buying more advertising space for the much sexier New York. The only reason we exists is it's far more feasible to sell Intellectual property for some ridiculous number like $100millon to Melbourne than to somewhere like Ghana or whatever where the people are much poorer and unlikely to get behind a local sports team, buy merch etc.

As soon as FIFA close this financial fair play loophole they'll take their bat and ball and go home.

Jimmy UEFA have already rejected the intellectual properties that City tried to claim in the last accounts, and City have agreed not to do this in the future.

In fact many staff have been moved from Manchester City to CFG recently by all accounts.

In my opinion CFG will be still in Melbourne in 50 years time and I expect it will be a very different league by then. However, I won't be around to see it unfortunately. Hopefully I will be for another 30 years though :)

• Like 2

The fact is all spending on youth development and infrastructure is excluded from FFP calculations.

Basically what is taken into account is players fees and wages against monies raised through sponsorship, gate receipts and prize money.

Anyway, the spending on Melbourne youth will be done through CFG and not City.

• Like 1

Manchester City have nothing to do with anything out of Manchester, be it financial or on the pitch... CFG is the guys in control

completely irrelevant when CFG run Manchester as well.

True, but what Silva says is right. UEFA - rightly or wrongly - suspected a rat from the first day they heard about CFG. When they hammered us with FFPR over summer, one of the explicit terms they insisted on as part of our agreeing to sell our independence away to sidestep the greater punishment was that we had to write off every last penny we might make from sharing services with other CFG clubs and companies from our FFPR accounts. If CFG were only in it to fudge our way out of economic sanctions, we'd have sold up already because CFG is now worthless for us in that respect.

Edited by Falastur

Does anyone have a realistic reason for CFG buying melbourne heart?

The only thing they seem to be doing is using it as a platform to promote Manchester City. The whole villa and Lampard fiascos really show that football and fans outside of Manchester are not terribly important.

Of course it's a platform designed to promote Manchester City. It's not a plan to unearth talent, if that was the goal they'd be targetting football-mad countries. They've targeted English-speaking audiences who regularly look at the EPL when following club football. There will never be a decision made at either N.Y. or Melbourne which would be contrary to Manchester's wishes. Is this really in doubt by anyone?

We have to realise that if a decision comes down to the interests of Manchester versus New York or Melbourne then of course the decision will go Manchester's way. That's where the money will be made for CFG, that's where the returns on investment will be made, that's where the overwhelming majority of public interest is. Once Lampard made an impact in Manchester then this decision was always likely to go against New York - Pellegrini has been telegraphing it for weeks.

It was different, however, with Villa. Yes we are the smaller club, but we are are already playing in our league whereas NYC won't kick a ball for another three months or so. I don't believe NYC needed Villa back there at all. So we were shafted, and it has put the media and the public offside with us for no valid reason.

• Like 2

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/soccer/steven-gerrard-to-leave-liverpool-at-the-end-of-english-premier-league-season-20150102-12h71u.html

Gerrard leaving Liverpool at end of this season. Fom article

The former England skipper said his decision was "completely based on my wish to experience something different in my career and life, and I also want to make sure that I have no regrets when my playing career is eventually over".

Gerrard also says:

"I'm going to carry on playing and although I can't confirm at this stage where that will be, I can say it will be somewhere that means I won't be playing for a competing club and will not therefore be lining up against Liverpool – that is something I could never contemplate," he told the club's official website.

This seems code for being bought by NYC FC and loaned out to us like Villa. Our straight off the boat to us. Just sayin' :)

Edited by HEARTinator

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/soccer/steven-gerrard-to-leave-liverpool-at-the-end-of-english-premier-league-season-20150102-12h71u.html

The former England skipper said his decision was "completely based on my wish to experience something different in my career and life, and I also want to make sure that I have no regrets when my playing career is eventually over".

Gerrard also says:

"I'm going to carry on playing and although I can't confirm at this stage where that will be, I can say it will be somewhere that means I won't be playing for a competing club and will not therefore be lining up against Liverpool – that is something I could never contemplate," he told the club's official website.

This seems code for being bought by NYC FC and loaned out to us like Villa. Our straight off the boat to us. Just sayin' :)

We've got some room in the cap from moving Kalmar on. Gerrard will be thrilled to get an opportunity to work with his childhood hero The Hoff.

• Like 1

Gerrard also says:

Seems to have MLS written all over it, for sure.

Gerrard is off to the MLS.. Likely Galaxy.

Would have been a good pick up, but at nearly $10 million for 18 months, thats a lot of coin.

The MLS is not shy in throwing around the cash, but whether or not it is worth it will be interesting to see. The quality of the football is still fairly average, even after years of big investment in players.

Time will tell.

Would have been a good pick up, but at nearly $10 million for 18 months, thats a lot of coin.

The MLS is not shy in throwing around the cash, but whether or not it is worth it will be interesting to see. The quality of the football is still fairly average, even after years of big investment in players.

Time will tell.

With gerrard the publicity alone is worth it.

• Like 1

Time will tell.

No thanks.

• Like 1

I would not have been able to take the influx of "Gimp Fifa Fanboy Liverpool Purists" surrounding me at games... each with their own bullshit inspirational story about how they became a Reds fan at a very young age eg: because some distant uncle wrote for the Echo in the 70's.

NOTE: The real story being of course for the vast majority that they chose their team in their teens (Of a mid 2000's Fifa) and did not want to be called a Glory Hunter and so chose a team that did not win all the time like United or Chelsea so they chose a team that won most of the time in that of Liverpool.

• Like 1

Time will tell.

No thanks.Chelsea fan?

I would not have been able to take the influx of "Gimp Fifa Fanboy Liverpool Purists" surrounding me at games... each with their own bullshit inspirational story about how they became a Reds fan at a very young age eg: because some distant uncle wrote for the Echo in the 70's.

NOTE: The real story being of course for the vast majority that they chose their team in their teens (Of a mid 2000's Fifa) and did not want to be called a Glory Hunter and so chose a team that did not win all the time like United or Chelsea so they chose a team that won most of the time in that of Liverpool.

Craig Johnston

Time will tell.

No thanks. Chelsea fan?

Has nothing to do with it.  Why would you want another "circus" for a player who is by and large well past it.  Granted he has the skill to be the best in the league, but he will ruin the balance in our team and arrogantly walk around on the pitch not really doing much and thinking he is too good to be here.

It will be Villa all over again with alot more arrogance.

There is the fact that our defence already has enough bloopers gifting goals to the opposition we don't need another person on the team who does it.

Time will tell.

No thanks.Chelsea fan?

Has nothing to do with it. Why would you want another "circus" for a player who is by and large well past it. Granted he has the skill to be the best in the league, but he will ruin the balance in our team and arrogantly walk around on the pitch not really doing much and thinking he is too good to be here.

It will be Villa all over again with alot more arrogance.

There is the fact that our defence already has enough bloopers gifting goals to the opposition we don't need another person on the team who does it. Cue the Liverpool fan boys...

You're correct, but this is Australia, what better reason do you expect people to have for supporting the European team that they support? "I go for Man Utd because they always win" or "I go for Chelsea because I like blue"?

It's far worse when people pick a random shit team like Burnley so they can't be accused of being a glory hunter and can score some hipster points :up:

Edited by Tesla
  • Like 1

I would not have been able to take the influx of "Gimp Fifa Fanboy Liverpool Purists" surrounding me at games... each with their own bullshit inspirational story about how they became a Reds fan at a very young age eg: because some distant uncle wrote for the Echo in the 70's. NOTE: The real story being of course for the vast majority that they chose their team in their teens (Of a mid 2000's Fifa) and did not want to be called a Glory Hunter and so chose a team that did not win all the time like United or Chelsea so they chose a team that won most of the time in that of Liverpool.

You're correct, but this is Australia, what better reason do you expect people to have for supporting the European team that they support? "I go for Man Utd because they always win" or "I go for Chelsea because I like blue"?It's far worse when people pick a random shit team like Burnley so they can't be accused of being a glory hunter and can score some hipster points :up:Children choose winner's like Man United, Teenagers chose runners up like Liverpool...

Also the PPL I am talking about are usually under 35 and would have only learnt about Craig Johnston after becoming Reds fans... However I am sure that many have added his name to their interesting back story of the origins of their Fandom.

NOTE: And before its asked I technically chose my EPL side due to its colours when I was a young child because I thought it was the same team as my local NSL side.

Edited by cadete

the first FA Cup final broadcast live to Australia was in 1971

I stayed up and watched it with my old man( me at the age of 8)

When Stevie Heighway put the ball past Bob Wilson at the near post, there was only one team for me after that ( even though the Pool lost the match)

• Like 1

The fortunate ones choose their home-town club at a very early age - in my case aged 5 - and that remains a lifetime loyalty. That "belonging" is a part of your DNA.

Or you choose your club based on where your family were born and have always supported.

I've never understood people who just pick a team in another country and go all mad supporter for them. My family is north London. So I don't have a Spanish,French,Malaysian, Israeli or Italian team

Edited by Tonyboozeadams
  • Like 3

The fortunate ones choose their home-town club at a very early age - in my case aged 5 - and that remains a lifetime loyalty. That "belonging" is a part of your DNA.

Or you choose your club based on where your family were born and have always supported.

I've never understood people who just pick a team in another country and go all mad supporter for them. My family is north London. So I don't have a Spanish,French,Malaysian, Israeli or Italian team

Well I'm Scottish born

My old man made a point of not following Rangers or Celtic, even though he lived all of his life in the shadows of the Clyde ship yards( before coming here)

He didn't want to be involved in all that religious crap, and he made sure we didn't either

Because they are football fans and want to watch the highest level of the sport and supporting a team makes it more interesting?

Who would have thought so many 'purists' follow Melbourne City.

• Like 1

I've never understood people who just pick a team in another country and go all mad supporter for them. My family is north London. So I don't have a Spanish,French,Malaysian, Israeli or Italian team Because they are football fans and want to watch the highest level of the sport and supporting a team makes it more interesting?

I'm no purist, just haven't understood some Australian EPL fans. I also have mates who's parents were born in the UK and support lesser EPL teams. Yet they chose pool or manyoo as their team. Just don't get it

I've never understood people who just pick a team in another country and go all mad supporter for them. My family is north London. So I don't have a Spanish,French,Malaysian, Israeli or Italian team Because they are football fans and want to watch the highest level of the sport and supporting a team makes it more interesting?

I'm no purist, just haven't understood some Australian EPL fans. I also have mates who's parents were born in the UK and support lesser EPL teams. Yet they chose pool or manyoo as their team. Just don't get it

I have no family connection to Arsenal (I have a family one to Villa to be honest, but I wasn't aware of that until I'd been supporting Arsenal for about 6-7 years), they were just the first team I actually sat and watched on TV ( loss v Southampton in 2002), and I decided they were my team and rolled with it.

Regardless of the absence of a connection beforehand, I stay up til stupid hours watching them and have spent decent cash to go over and watch a few games. I don't see how not having a direct connection makes that any less legitimate to be honest.

Edited by King Malta

I just to follow players rather then teams tbh. I've always like watching Wayne Rooney play so I supported everton and when he transferred now man u.

Im much the same. Totti is my man.

But I will watch pretty much any and every match I can set my eyes upon and still not give a fuck about who wins. I just love professional football.

Gives my mrs the shits big time.

Yep, I idolised Marco Van Basten growing up. Absolute superstar - only Gazza Ablett snr and Greg Norman had more influence on me... Anyway, haven't given a stuff about Italian football since those days.

Remember watching something on tv as a kid where Aston Villa were playing, so followed them and still do, though it isn't with much passion now. I do enjoy watching the BPL though, but it isn't the be all and end all.

That's about it for o/s football for me.

As was stated earlier in this topic, i came from S E London and always supported Crystal Palace and to some extent still do. back then you were born to follow a local side or so it seemed but that did not preclude you from watching other football teams from other areas it's just the way things happen in a country where football is king. You tend to follow the same team for all your life through good times and bad times,i still stay up till ridiculous hours on Saturday nights to watch the EPL as well as Melbourne City i am a dyed in the wool football fan and i love this game.

• Like 3