Melbourne Football

Melbourne Heart FC buy out - Man City, Melbourne City FC, etc.

AntiScum

I once asked a fuckwit I used to work with why he supported liverpool. His response:

'The same reason I support Barcelona, Rangers, Inter and Bayern.'

I never actually got an answer as to why.

Can you please ask him again? I'm dying to know why

• Like 1

My first love was Olympiacos Piraeus! At the age of around 10-12 my dad was telling me about the English Premier League and I asked which team should I follow? It had to be red so there was Man Utd, Liverpool, Arsenal, Sunderland, Southampton, etc. but it was when he informed me that Liverpool is the port of Merseyside that I thought, since Piraeus is the port of Athens, my Premier League team will become Liverpool and it has been for the last 20 years.

In hindsight, I probably should've picked Manchester United; their record in the last 20 years is a little more aligned with Olympiacos' record in the Greek Super League.

I always watched a few EPL games here and there but never really supported a team. 6th generation Aussie, so no connection to any teams at all. I actually am only fairly new to following a Premier League club. I decided to support Newcastle United because my favourite Heart player at the time was Curtis Good, and if he was headed to Newcastle I thought I'd follow his club. Ended up going to the pubs to watch some Newcastle games, met some of the geordie-born fans and just began to fall in love with the club. Now I'm a crazy passionate Newcastle fan who deep down wishes Curtis Good had gone to Manchester City or Chelsea ;)

I once asked a fuckwit I used to work with why he supported liverpool. His response:

'The same reason I support Barcelona, Rangers, Inter and Bayern.'

I never actually got an answer as to why.

Can you please ask him again? I'm dying to know why he asked a fuckwit, so I'm guessing he supports those clubs because he is a fuckwit
  • Like 1

I hadn't really supported a premier league club up until just over a year ago when Heart got brought out by Manchester City (or rather CFG). My brother has supported Everton for a while now but he also barracks for Carlton so his taste is not always great. I'm a Richmond supporter so I haven't always had success when it comes to my sporting sides, and is probably one of the main reasons i decided to support Manchester City because they currently have a good wealth of success.

Growing up the only live game to watch was the FA cup. For me I couldn't wait and used to count down the weeks until it was on. My dad used to wake me up and we sit up at midnight watching the game we both loved. At this time I was amazed by Spurs and in particular the Argentines of Ardilies and Villa. Since the early 80s I was unfortunately committed to Tottenham and suffered miserably ever since albeit a few cup wins. Locally I am a with the Pies so to complete the trio of picking teams that offer some much but deliver very little I stumbled onto the Heart. In 1986 my obsession with the game was fuelled by SBS full coverage of the World Cup. I missed a lot of days from high school and I still have most games on tape. Throughout high school Monday mornings was a race to the library to find EPL results in the paper. There would be a group of 20 little wogs hovered around a paper arguing over results all the while getting teased by the majority of skips. Those were the days....

• Like 5

There would be a group of 20 little wogs hovered around a paper arguing over results all the while getting teased by the majority of skips. Those were the days....

Jovan, you win my nomination for post of the year!

Reminds me of boarding school days long ago when I'd get up before everyone else just to read the overnight results and reports in the newspapers that were delivered for the teaching staff to read. I was eventually caught, but the Headmaster decided to turn a blind eye and allowed me to continue!

There would be a group of 20 little wogs hovered around a paper arguing over results all the while getting teased by the majority of skips. Those were the days....

Reminds me of boarding school days long ago when I'd get up before everyone else just to read the overnight results and reports in the newspapers that were delivered for the teaching staff to read. I was eventually caught, but the Headmaster decided to turn a blind eye and allowed me to continue!

What else did the Headmaster allow you to do?  :P

What else did the Headmaster allow you to do? :P

Hope you didn't go to a Catholic school

There would be a group of 20 little wogs hovered around a paper arguing over results all the while getting teased by the majority of skips. Those were the days....Jovan, you win my nomination for post of the year!

What else did the Headmaster allow you to do? :P

Hope you didn't go to a Catholic school The Devil's Playground ;)

Am I the only one who enjoys watching the A-league more than the premier league?

Elaborate as to why, because if you are speaking about skill level then no

The a league at times can frustrate me so much when I watch the games on t.v because 1) it lacks atmosphere 2) the skill level at times can we woeful to watch (e.g most of Williams shots at goals, the miss by that Adelaide bloke can't remember his name it was a howler. 3) the tempo to an a league game is very slow at times 

However give me a live game of Melbourne City anyday over watching Man City on T.V  :up:

Am I the only one who enjoys watching the A-league more than the premier league?

Elaborate as to why, because if you are speaking about skill level then no

The a league at times can frustrate me so much when I watch the games on t.v because 1) it lacks atmosphere 2) the skill level at times can we woeful to watch (e.g most of Williams shots at goals, the miss by that Adelaide bloke can't remember his name it was a howler. 3) the tempo to an a league game is very slow at times 

However give me a live game of Melbourne City anyday over watching Man City on T.V  :up: Definitely not because of the skill level, as the premier league is of a lot higher quality. I really don't have a good reason, it just resonates with me more

IMO the A-League presents poorly on TV because of the inferior camera work and poor commentary.

No its because it is poor.

But its the best we got.

but but ...its on a par with English Championship based on some peoples views :lol:

The Championship is fucking awesome to watch, if only the A-League was at that level! 

The fans are great.

I chose West Ham because my step dad told me I now supported West Ham and gave me one of their kits when I came home confused that the kids were teasing me for supporting a team 'no one even knows' (at the time I assumed everyone just followed Dutch football) instead of an English team.

Helped that the first highlight package I watched of the EPL on the world game back when it used to go for an entire Sunday included Di Canio's volley against Wimbledon. That and I thought the castle on the badge was bad arse as a 10 year old.

Agree re: the championship though. Has the best mix of proper football supporters in decent numbers without the over sanitisation that the EPL brings. To be honest though the lower half of the table in the championship is no better than the a-league in standard and dull as all hell to watch with opposing centre backs hitting long balls to each other. Have always said the a-league teams sit along a spectrum of lower championship to lower league one.

I chose West Ham because my step dad told me I now supported West Ham and gave me one of their kits when I came home confused that the kids were teasing me for supporting a team 'no one even knows' (at the time I assumed everyone just followed Dutch football) instead of an English team.

Helped that the first highlight package I watched of the EPL on the world game back when it used to go for an entire Sunday included Di Canio's volley against Wimbledon. That and I thought the castle on the badge was bad arse as a 10 year old.

Agree re: the championship though. Has the best mix of proper football supporters in decent numbers without the over sanitisation that the EPL brings. To be honest though the lower half of the table in the championship is no better than the a-league in standard and dull as all hell to watch with opposing centre backs hitting long balls to each other. Have always said the a-league teams sit along a spectrum of lower championship to lower league one.

Championship is great watching! Leicester were great to watch last season

Manchester City Financial Fair Play regulations: Uefa approves of spreading losses

Sam Wallace

12 January 2015

Manchester City are confident that they will comply with Uefa Financial Fair Play regulations this year despite spreading losses from the club’s accounts to subsidiary companies.

City say they have had the structure approved by Uefa, in which two separate companies – City Football Services (CFS) and City Football Marketing (CFM) – have assumed around £25.9m of losses that might otherwise have been on Manchester City’s club accounts. The club announced their most recent financial figures, a combined loss of £23m last month, and as ever these will have to be approved by Uefa in order to receive their license to play in European competition next season.

The club say that spreading the losses outside of City’s accounts is justified given that so many of their staff have a global remit, working for two sister clubs, Melbourne City and the newly-constituted MLS franchise New York City. Executives such as Ferran Soriano, the club’s chief executive, as well as other Manchester-based heads of department, including marketing and commercial, also work in both the United States and Australia.

The turnover of the two subsidiaries CFS and CFM is only likely to rise as the operations at the two sister clubs, especially the MLS franchise, become more involved over the coming years. It will be up to Uefa to decide whether the services assigned to those two clubs, and away from Manchester City’s accounts, is commensurate with the work being done by employees of the club. The club do not believe there is any fresh investigation from Uefa but that, as ever, they are under constant scrutiny from the governing body to ensure that they keep within the prescribed FFP boundaries.

City were judged not to have complied with FFP in the last monitoring period and as a result were subjected to a £49m fine, with two-thirds of that suspended, and a reduced 21-man squad for this season’s Champions League.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/manchester-city-financial-fair-play-regulations-uefa-approves-of-spreading-losses-9973985.html

The club say that spreading the losses outside of City’s accounts is justified given that so many of their staff have a global remit, working for two sister clubs, Melbourne City and the newly-constituted MLS franchise New York City. Executives such as Ferran Soriano, the club’s chief executive, as well as other Manchester-based heads of department, including marketing and commercial, also work in both the United States and Australia.

Very interesting that UEFA approved this, wonder if the likes of PSG, etc. will follow suit.

£25.9m 

Manchester City Financial Fair Play regulations: Uefa approves of spreading losses

Sam Wallace

12 January 2015

Manchester City are confident that they will comply with Uefa Financial Fair Play regulations this year despite spreading losses from the club’s accounts to subsidiary companies.

City say they have had the structure approved by Uefa, in which two separate companies – City Football Services (CFS) and City Football Marketing (CFM) – have assumed around £25.9m of losses that might otherwise have been on Manchester City’s club accounts. The club announced their most recent financial figures, a combined loss of £23m last month, and as ever these will have to be approved by Uefa in order to receive their license to play in European competition next season.

The turnover of the two subsidiaries CFS and CFM is only likely to rise as the operations at the two sister clubs, especially the MLS franchise, become more involved over the coming years. It will be up to Uefa to decide whether the services assigned to those two clubs, and away from Manchester City’s accounts, is commensurate with the work being done by employees of the club. The club do not believe there is any fresh investigation from Uefa but that, as ever, they are under constant scrutiny from the governing body to ensure that they keep within the prescribed FFP boundaries.

City were judged not to have complied with FFP in the last monitoring period and as a result were subjected to a £49m fine, with two-thirds of that suspended, and a reduced 21-man squad for this season’s Champions League.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/manchester-city-financial-fair-play-regulations-uefa-approves-of-spreading-losses-9973985.html

With our massive budget good to know we're helping the City team with 'our' loss of £25.9m.

I assume most of our share came from paying out the contract of Ticker.

With our massive budget good to know we're helping the City team with 'our' loss of £25.9m.

No, the loss of GBP25.9m has been allocated to City Football Services (CFS) and City Football Marketing(CFM). Of that 25.9m only a part would be attributed to Melbourne City. It's really no different for any organization with a Head Office and various operating centres - HO handles central functions such as HR, Research, Marketing, Design, Contracts, Payroll and Finance, etc. etc.

No, the loss of GBP25.9m has been allocated to City Football Services (CFS) and City Football Marketing(CFM). Of that 25.9m only a part would be attributed to Melbourne City. It's really no different for any organization with a Head Office and various operating centres - HO handles central functions such as HR, Research, Marketing, Design, Contracts, Payroll and Finance, etc. etc.

I know what the losses are coming from and that they are cost shifting it is legal but seriously how much in reality would have been spent on us compared to the the rest of the family? 

I know what the losses are coming from and that they are cost shifting it is legal but seriously how much in reality would have been spent on us compared to the the rest of the family? 

Not sure what period this loss is for.  Can't imagine that they could claim more than 5m attributable to us. But they will have squeezed every last drop out of the bag, you can bet on that. Probably explains why, for example, they were in a hurry to release Cityzens here without having the structure in place to support it. They would claim input into things such as requirements for and design of the new HQ, upgrade of the Latrobe pitches (advice on soil type, soil additives, drainage and all that sort of thing, even how to mow the grass), training techniques, rehabilitation, organisation of Carrington and Abu Dhabi camps, scouting/player recommendations, post-match analysis... If you've ever worked in an organization with a HO you'll know these people claim they have a finger in every imaginable pie.

TBH I think most people don't actually understand what's going on here.

TBH I'm not 100% I do either, but from what I've read I think I have a good idea, and it sounds completely fair and legitimate to me (srs).

What has happened Tesla is that UEFA stopped City from charging the women's team, Melbourne and New York Image Rights and City agreed they wouldn't. Therefore they have now taking over 100 employees out of City and they are now employed by CFG.

CFG now charge the clubs for services provided. On this year's accounts City have been recharged over £10m by CFG.

TBH I'm not 100% I do either, but from what I've read I think I have a good idea, and it sounds completely fair and legitimate to me (srs).

What has happened Tesla is that UEFA stopped City from charging the women's team, Melbourne and New York Image Rights and City agreed they wouldn't. Therefore they have now taking over 100 employees out of City and they are now employed by CFG.

CFG now charge the clubs for services provided. On this year's accounts City have been recharged over £10m by CFG.

Yeah that's pretty much what I imagined except it sounds to me like UEFA will count all or most of the cost of these 100 staff and what other costs are assosciated with the services they provide to Man City if they are mainly working for Man City rather than NY and Melbourne.

That's what I get from this bit "It will be up to Uefa to decide whether the services assigned to those two clubs, and away from Manchester City’s accounts, is commensurate with the work being done by employees of the club".

So all in all seems pretty fair to me, Man City do still get to spread out the fixed costs of the services and benefit from economies of scale, and they can perhaps be a bit sneaky and attribute a bit less of the work done to Man City than they rightfully should, but all up they won't be able to cover huge amounts of costs via this method. Like you say, they can't charge for image rights any more either, so the argument that Man City own us just to bypass FFP doesn't really hold a lot of merit.

Edited by Tesla

Yeah that's pretty much what I imagined except it sounds to me like UEFA will count all or most of the cost of these 100 staff and what other costs are assosciated with the services they provide to Man City if they are mainly working for Man City rather than NY and Melbourne.

That's what I get from this bit "It will be up to Uefa to decide whether the services assigned to those two clubs, and away from Manchester City’s accounts, is commensurate with the work being done by employees of the club".

So all in all seems pretty fair to me, Man City do still get to spread out the fixed costs of the services and benefit from economies of scale, and they can perhaps be a bit sneaky and attribute a bit less of the work done to Man City than they rightfully should, but all up they won't be able to cover huge amounts of costs via this method. Like you say, they can't charge for image rights any more either, so the argument that Man City own us just to bypass FFP doesn't really hold a lot of merit.

Well it has definitely changed if that was a reason why they bought into Melbourne. Although I believe the main factor is to produce players who are good enough to play at the highest level. Apparently, this is what Soriano wanted to do when he was at Barcelona.

Now he is able to put it into practice with the backing of ADUG.

As for UEFA I think they and City have pretty much agreed with the process that we are now embarking. This way UEFA looks like they are playing hardball and City are free from restrictions next season.

• Like 1

From Man City's twitter account:

CITY TODAY: Life's a beach in Abu Dhabi + a historic day for City Football Group. Watch: 

http://t.co/rrIjJQQEMk #mcfc

B7096PdCcAAsNaS.jpg

https://twitter.com/MCFC/status/557670615466119169

There's a video in the link in the tweet above, with some cameos of Melbourne City, including a short interview with Kisnorbo in the second half of the video.

Edited by Murfy1