Melbourne Football

2013-14 MEMBERSHIPS

Red or Dead

Derby games should be excluded from the counts.

Only then you'll get a true Melbourne heart home attendance numbers.

I agree with you there Jestr

the rusted on 6500 to 7000 is more of a true indication, even though the last match only brought 5500 through the turnstiles

we really need to be looking at at least 12k next season to be honest

I expect a HUGE marketing blitz for the next season, backed by the new owners and "star recruits"

• Like 1

Derby games should be excluded from the counts.

Only then you'll get a true Melbourne heart home attendance numbers.

OK. Here are the figures, excluding home derbies and "regional" matches.

2010-11: 13 matches, average 6,059.

2011-12: 11 matches, average 6,473.

2012-13: 12 matches, average 7,077.

2013-14 (to date): 9 matches, average 7,154.

Highest home non-derby crowd: 13,752 vs. Sydney, 24th February 2013.

Lowest home crowd: 2,754 vs. Newcastle, 8th December 2010.What are our highest (non-derby) and lowest attendances for this season?

Says he, rummaging through the WPB...

8,941 vs. Sydney 15th November 2013. (Next was 8,734 vs. CCM 19th October 2013 - first home match of the season.)

5,046 vs. Newcastle 17th January 2014.

The highs against Sydney would appear to be ADP - but how they dropped after one season!

• Like 1

Says he, rummaging through the WPB...

8,941 vs. Sydney 15th November 2013. (Next was 8,734 vs. CCM 19th October 2013 - first home match of the season.)

5,046 vs. Newcastle 17th January 2014.

The highs against Sydney would appear to be ADP - but how they dropped after one season!

Plus that prick Lucas Neill had just signed for SFC after useing us.Alot of pissed off Heart fans came to boo him.

• Like 1

Now 7311.

Why would anyone be signing up now?

To have a say in the coming changes.

that doesn't really make sense. we have no more and no less say as season ticket holders than we did at the start of the season...

Incorrect. As many of the Manchester forumites have pointed out the new owners will likely seek input from members in regards to numerous issues on a much larger scale than previous seasons

Now 7311.

Why would anyone be signing up now?

To have a say in the coming changes.

that doesn't really make sense. we have no more and no less say as season ticket holders than we did at the start of the season... Incorrect. As many of the Manchester forumites have pointed out the new owners will likely seek input from members in regards to numerous issues on a much larger scale than previous seasons

I did consider this but it's still up in the air in terms of who and what will be sent to members so seems to be a bit of a reflex action to take up a membership now. No doubt the owners will look to members at some point, perhaps during our incredibly long off season? Hmmm. I see what you're saying, it's just bizzare

Must have the cheapest memberships next season

$30 for childs all home games

$50 for concession all home games

$100 for adults all home games

This is the quickest easiest and only/best way to BUILD and structure a fan base...

People that say winning are right, but that supplements the base and would result in a loss of huge numbers when we are losing.

Make gate prices cheap as anything as well. 

$5 child 

$10 concession 

$15 adult 
All for GA

A few more membership perks would be nice. More opportunities to win shit at half time or to throw things at ticker. More ticker hate pls.

I wouldn't mind seeing a kind of rewards system. I believe Essendon have something set up whereby games you go to, participation in events/competitions earns points, which can then be used for additional discounts on merchandise, the following seasons membership and the like. Henceforth, those who attend more games wind up with a cheaper membership the following season.

Now obviously there are people who can't attend every game for whatever reason, which is where the other 'points' opportunities come in.

May or may not work, but I think it could be a system worth looking into.

• 2 weeks later...

#12474.

Signed up pretty early last year  Pax 1939.

So that suggests a reasonably high "churn".  In the first few seasons (I was a "pay per view", bit light on cash for 5 memberships at the time) I would hear occasionally people around me talking who were clearly (strange as it may sound to many on this forum) members of BOTH us and the tards.   Didn't pick that up at all this year and I thus suspect at least some of the churn is losing a few of these (not the whole story i know; J Aloisi and selling anyone with talent made a contribution last year I'm sure).

#12474.

Signed up pretty early last year  Pax 1939.

So that suggests a reasonably high "churn".  In the first few seasons (I was a "pay per view", bit light on cash for 5 memberships at the time) I would hear occasionally people around me talking who were clearly (strange as it may sound to many on this forum) members of BOTH us and the tards.   Didn't pick that up at all this year and I thus suspect at least some of the churn is losing a few of these (not the whole story i know; J Aloisi and selling anyone with talent made a contribution last year I'm sure).

My brother is a member of both Victory and Heart because of his fanatical belief that the only way for the game to advance is to increase the membership rate. However he rarely attends the Victory games (loathes Muscat) ad tries to attend every Heart game.

I got a friend of mine to take up one of the 4 game memberships (ie near the end of the season) and his number is 13983.  If we assume that every new member over the 4 years got a unique membership number then we have "lost" 4,600 over that 4 years (1,150 a year).

So, if that is what I understand is the reason behind your question Tommy, it appears that our "churn" rate is about 15%.  Is that too high? I have nothing to compare it with but it is disappointing.  I am sure we would all like it to be better and somewhat well north of 10,000 but what is encouraging is that, even though we have not produced the goods on the ground, we still have a reasonable 7,315 members.  Hopefully this coming year we will play attractive football, have a club that gives entertainment and value to the fans and is a joy to belong to.  If so we will attract back all our lost members PLUS a lot more.  I look forward to the day when we can say with absolute authority "there is only one team in Melbourne". COYBIR

To only have a 15% churn in membership numbers would actually be a huge achievement considering our performances over our history.

We mostly signed up out of hope that the year ahead would be brighter than the last. Unfortunately, it mainly failed to occur, but many of us got back on the rollercoaster to do it all again. I don't blame those who didn't though.

Edited by Heart_fan

To only have a 15% churn in membership numbers would actually be a huge achievement considering our performances over our history.

We mostly signed up out of hope that the year ahead would be brighter than the last. Unfortunately, it mainly failed to occur, but many of us got back on the rollercoaster to do it all again. I don't blame those who didn't though.

Churn rates for season ticket holders frequently exceed 20%. I had full access to an article on this subject but can't find it for the moment, but see http://www.cabdirect.org/abstracts/20113029526.html;jsessionid=7C72B41ADADE157C05C0E02BB1975D39

Indeed, it would be interesting to know precisely how many of the foundation STHs are still with the club, although we will never know that statistic unless we are a Heart "insider."

In terms of STHs for 2014-15 IMO there is an excellent opportunity to make some significant changes to what Heart offers, particularly (but not exclusively) in the reserved seating categories both to encourage new STHs and to reduce the churn rate of existing STHs. IIRC our prices for reserved seating are amongst the very highest in the league. There have been many excellent suggestions on here for improvements that could be made to STH packages, but the issue seems to have dropped off the radar this season.

• Like 1

That's not the prices. They are a deposit if you like, that will come off the prices of your season ticket if you choose to go ahead in 2015. I think they doing it to get a bit of income into the business early on.

Season ticket prices to be released next year