Melbourne Football

2013-14 MEMBERSHIPS

Red or Dead

I have lost total faith in this club. I used to look forward to going to games but now I simply cbf@.

No club has coped so much shit from fans than our club yet the board refuses to do something about it. How many losses are needed for a change? How many supporters need to turn up before they realise something must be done before they fold the club? Why would anyone with half a brain sign up to MH?

From memory the membership counter was about 6847 for full season-tickets about two weeks ago.

The 3-game Summer packs have seen it creep to 6920. An increase of 73 or thereabouts.

That's a poor take-up. Proves your point.

• 2 weeks later...

6989! With the first game of the three game memberships already gone I don't see any more being added this weekend, which is a shame because we're only 11 off the magical 7k!

Hrmmm...now if only we had a better coach and won several...a few...a couple...at least a game!

Thats a ridiculous membership number... ridiculously good for a club that is ridiculously shit.

6989! With the first game of the three game memberships already gone I don't see any more being added this weekend, which is a shame because we're only 11 off the magical 7k!

Hrmmm...now if only we had a better coach and won several...a few...a couple...at least a game!

Thats a ridiculous membership number... ridiculously good for a club that is ridiculously shit.

That's why there are repeated takeover offers. Canny people see that if we can draw crowds of 6,000-8,000 when we play shit football and lose nearly every damned game then think what we would draw if we were actually winning?

Look at attendances around the world. Once you get away from the top handful of leagues, clubs with records like ours would be lucky to draw a few hundred.

A$9m for a club like us is an absolute bargain.

To be fair to those figures we accrued we were just shy of 6000 prior to the first round. Two weeks in we were around 6600. Clearly the optimism was still fairly high. The important fact however is that we have got an extra 400 members after the 3 game membership in nine rounds! So my point is if you think it's pretty good we have this total membership number after our poor position and form on the pitch, on closer inspection it's actually a lot worse considering when members actually signed up.

• Like 1

In all seriousness, there will need to be some major sweeteners with the membership packs next year to get people to renew. I'll be back next year (would love to know what psychological condition creates "rusted on") but the conversation around me of about 40 people at the Wellington game included a straw poll asking people if they'd renew?? Well over half saying they probably wouldn't. (Im sure everyone knows someone who has fallen away in interest, or says they wont come and watch us because we are shit.) Since then JA has gone, but from what we saw last night, it seems we're still spiraling down. I just really hope this will be arrested soon, but fuck I'm worried.

Cheaper memberships?? Upgrades?? Derby seat included?? Trinkets?? I don't know, but some serious thought will need to go into this from a marketing perspective. I get the feeling the new owners will have to suck up some short term financial pain with regard to memberships to resurrect the brand. I know results will be the major solution to getting bums on seats, but it's hard to inspire your players in an empty stadium in the meantime.

If JVS can't right the ship (and he's been put in a difficult position), we'll lose more than just results.

Spot on Defib. After last nights again useless performance, I have been thinking all morning about weather or not to renew next season. Or more to the point, questioning why I should renew next season.

This club gives nothing to it's members. We have no club facilities. All we get is access to games - and the football has been rubbish for the past two seasons. Now in the UK and other places where money dictates I can understand different standards of clubs. However, we are in a salary capped league and there is no excuse.

I would like to see Melbourne Heart make a public apology to our supporters and I believe that all members should be given a full refund as the club has not delivered on their "product". This would simply be a way of saying sorry for the thousands of dollars you have put into supporting the club and we understand that we have failed and yes, we do value your support and no, we don't think you are a bunch of mugs.

Cheaper memberships are a good idea, complimentary memberships for all renewing members who have remained after the past two seasons of rot should be classed as fair reward. And did I mention an apology?

• Like 1

I couldn't care less about reduced prices on membership, or getting a special badge that I won't wear, or any bullshit trinkets. The best gift I could get from the club after this season is new owners that set the benchmark at being at the absolute pinnacle of Australasian football and striving to make this club the biggest in this hemisphere.

That's all I want. Is that too much to ask for?

Trash the current squad with few exceptions then scout vpl and other leagues for the best young talent and start this club from scratch.

Don't care if it takes 2 or 3 years to get some significant success, as long we play some entertaining football and improving as we go.

That's all good and I'd like those things to happen as well, but that's bottom to top thinking. I don't think you can be successful if you think like that because your ultimate goal is vague and isn't clear. If you aim for ACL and you aim for winning the title then from that top you can start to build everything underneath that to achieve these goal. And with this you will build an outstanding football team.

Playing good football right now can and should be one of the goals because of obvious reasons of our current position. But next season if that is our main goal, good football and blood some youngsters, then expect to be disappointed again.

Well you have to know before hand if your foundations will be good enough to support this goal. That's like building a house with foundations already built, and then trying to build a multi million dollar mansion with them. Doesn't help if your foundations were built to support a townhouse.

What I'm saying is the ultimate goal whatever that is needs to be clear, then build everything else around it. You want youth to be a focus? That's fine, make sure you get youth players that will be able to achieve this goal. You want attractive football. No problem, but make sure you get a coach and players that can deliver attractive football and achieve the main adjective/goal.

• Like 1

Spot on niko. I listened to the interview this morning after Leicester trounced Derby 4-1 where the comment was made about Nigel Pearson's attention to detail on the training park. Pearson said in his interview that their squad has been purposely built and that it is now up to the players to show they want to succeed. It is no wonder they are moving ahead at the top of the Championship.

I have said before that I would like us to model on Man Utd when Alex Ferguson took over. Build a good squad and then tinker with a few players each season until we get the mix right. The current situation at heart with mass player turnovers where we get worse and worse needs to stop and a solid plan is needed going into the future.

• Like 1

What I'm saying is the ultimate goal whatever that is needs to be clear, then build everything else around it. You want youth to be a focus? That's fine, make sure you get youth players that will be able to achieve this goal. You want attractive football. No problem, but make sure you get a coach and players that can deliver attractive football and achieve the main adjective/goal.

Not one of our match-day squad against Perth is a product of our various NYL squads.

Spot on niko. I listened to the interview this morning after Leicester trounced Derby 4-1 where the comment was made about Nigel Pearson's attention to detail on the training park. Pearson said in his interview that their squad has been purposely built and that it is now up to the players to show they want to succeed. It is no wonder they are moving ahead at the top of the Championship.

I have said before that I would like us to model on Man Utd when Alex Ferguson took over. Build a good squad and then tinker with a few players each season until we get the mix right. The current situation at heart with mass player turnovers where we get worse and worse needs to stop and a solid plan is needed going into the future.

Have been banging on about this for months. The absence of any planning and our reliance instead on the "saviour" mentality was never more obvious than this season. And we're still doing it...first it was Kewell, but, oh shit, that didn't do it...now it's the possible return of Engelaar that's suddenly going to save us.

The club is taking its supporters for granted. That is a very dangerous strategy.

"Can Orlando Engelaar turn our fortunes around" states our club on Facebook and Twitter...

What a mess.

The answer to the question is NO. It's a team game based on thorough preparation, planning and match day execution. Just watch Roar deal with AU this afternoon. Imagine the fan base and entertainment we'd get if our club played and was successful like Roar. The only talk of relocation would be of the Tards. Edited by HEARTinator
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Thoughts on the new membership drive. "Four of the best"?

Well, IMO (and I've said this consistently from Day 1) Heart needs to be very careful with these specials. They tend to devalue full season-tickets. For example, this new offer includes a reserved seat for the third derby, but I'm guessing that full season GA season-ticket holders are going to have to go on line again and pay extra to reserve a seat for the same match.

As a general principle, the more specials that there are in a season the lower the incentive to take out a full season-ticket at the start of the season. Particularly if the results are poor as they are this season.

• Like 2