Melbourne Football

Melbourne Heart and Melbourne City attendances

Jimmy

I know a couple of new attendees from this season and the way to get them to sign up for next season is by playing better football. One in particular came to the last derby and still sometimes talks about how badly we played in it.

It's pretty much that simple. If your business is football then be good at it. Everything else is secondary

• Like 1

I know a couple of new attendees from this season and the way to get them to sign up for next season is by playing better football. One in particular came to the last derby and still sometimes talks about how badly we played in it.

It's pretty much that simple. If your business is football then be good at it. Everything else is secondary

So accurate.

Fixing the problems on the pitch goes a hell of a long way towards rectifying everything else.

And what do you suggest mjake? Although l understand it may be tough, but doing your bit is convincing others to sign up. I'm signing up my missus (kind of forcefully) next season. One member here, one there.... it will tally up.

For starters how about they spend some of those billions of dollars they have on proper saturation advertising to convince people to sign up rather than relying on their members acting like missionaries that need to "do their bit" and convince people Watching bland football is a great way to spend their leisure time and money.

Every dog has its day. Meaning we will have shockers througout the season just like every other team. Just happen to be against our biggest rivals in front of the biggest crowd. Constantly playing unattractive football is a different story.

Advertising is a great way. Perhaps they've never had to advertise for Man City and didn't realise advertising goes a long way especially in a competitive market in Oz. But have we seen adversing from the bigger clubs i.e. Victory, WSW, Sydney FC & Adel apart from having the odd stall at an event?

What? You mean the City Business lunch didn't give you guys that 'warm and fuzzy' feeling towards the club? I'm astounded! If that doesn't do it for you regular members, I don't know what will!

That's fine for the big end of town. For how many of our 11,742 members was it relevant?

I'd go along with the view that CFG has failed to connect with our membership. That's not to say that I don't see a great future for the club, but that I am somehow being held at arm's length from being valued as a supporter. I won't go through the list, but everything from the David Villa deceit to the failure of the boys to do a lap of honour at the last home match of the season tells me I am not valued.

And what do you suggest mjake? Although l understand it may be tough, but doing your bit is convincing others to sign up. I'm signing up my missus (kind of forcefully) next season. One member here, one there.... it will tally up.

For starters how about they spend some of those billions of dollars they have on proper saturation advertising to convince people to sign up rather than relying on their members acting like missionaries that need to "do their bit" and convince people Watching bland football is a great way to spend their leisure time and money.

Every dog has its day. Meaning we will have shockers througout the season just like every other team. Just happen to be against our biggest rivals in front of the biggest crowd. Constantly playing unattractive football is a different story.

Advertising is a great way. Perhaps they've never had to advertise for Man City and didn't realise advertising goes a long way especially in a competitive market in Oz. But have we seen adversing from the bigger clubs i.e. Victory, WSW, Sydney FC & Adel apart from having the odd stall at an event? All of those clubs except WSW were or still are the only club in their region when they first joined the league, meaning that they didn't have a strong rival already set up like we have with Victory. As for WSW they were a team in a huge football area who had instant success on the pitch. We've had none of those advantages so we need advertising.

An analogy is that CFG appear to be operating on an 'old media' model: They develop product and push the product to us consumers. Its a model that makes us passive and defines a relationship with the franchise that is less emotionally satisfying, made more so by them delivering a rather beige product. The product has improved over the season, no doubt about that, however its still not satisfying and its a different product from the one promised. I accept that this will take time but I think that they made a mistake in changing the colours before they delivered success as this has contributed to the emotional disengagement

The club need to communicate better on the things that matter to supporters, so that we generally here these things first from the club, not from third party sources (or through twitter, etc) ...

This is something I stressed at the last FRG meeting and I was pleased to see this covered in the recent member survey.

Advertising is a great way. Perhaps they've never had to advertise for Man City and didn't realise advertising goes a long way especially in a competitive market in Oz. But have we seen adversing from the bigger clubs i.e. Victory, WSW, Sydney FC & Adel apart from having the odd stall at an event? All of those clubs except WSW were or still are the only club in their region when they first joined the league, meaning that they didn't have a strong rival already set up like we have with Victory. As for WSW they were a team in a huge football area who had instant success on the pitch. We've had none of those advantages so we need advertising.

I'm not sure how much more advertising would help, there's not been much traditional advertising media but my internet banner ads are regularly advertising he next Melbourne City game.

I can't imagine advertising getting much more press or having a bigger impact than signing David Villa did.

Engagement of existing and lapsed members is key.

Also you need to target kids. If they gave junior clubs free tickets to matches that would start to attract crowds. Hook the kids get the parents because kids nag.

• Like 1

There was IMO quite a lot of traditional advertising at the birth of Melbourne Heart. "Join us as we earn our stripes" was a huge billboard visible from CityLink, and for a time there was also advertising along the facade of Young and Jackson's Hotel. Must have cost the fledgling club a fair packet at the time.

Other than for our home derbies the only time Level 3 has been opened for a Heart/City home match was David Villa's first home match. By the time we played Adelaide we already knew we'd been dudded and that he wasn't staying, and so the the attendance was slightly less. Villa and Del Piero prove that people will pay to watch star players.

I'd say the best, and ultimately the cheapest, way for CFG to boost attendances would be a genuine big name Visa marquee - that's when the advertising would have something worthwhile to sell. IMO would also go a long way to rebuilding the trust lost by the Villa debacle.

• Like 2

I'm not sure how much more advertising would help, there's not been much traditional advertising media but my internet banner ads are regularly advertising he next Melbourne City game.

I can't imagine advertising getting much more press or having a bigger impact than signing David Villa did.

Engagement of existing and lapsed members is key.

Also you need to target kids. If they gave junior clubs free tickets to matches that would start to attract crowds. Hook the kids get the parents because kids nag.

I've seen print ads pretty regularly when I read the Herald Sun, which is only when I'm in cafés etc that have free copies

There was IMO quite a lot of traditional advertising at the birth of Melbourne Heart. "Join us as we earn our stripes" was a huge billboard visible from CityLink, and for a time there was also advertising along the facade of Young and Jackson's Hotel. Must have cost the fledgling club a fair packet at the time.

Other than for our home derbies the only time Level 3 has been opened for a Heart/City home match was David Villa's first home match. By the time we played Adelaide we already knew we'd been dudded and that he wasn't staying, and so the the attendance was slightly less. Villa and Del Piero prove that people will pay to watch star players.

I'd say the best, and ultimately the cheapest, way for CFG to boost attendances would be a genuine big name Visa marquee - that's when the advertising would have something worthwhile to sell. IMO would also go a long way to rebuilding the trust lost by the Villa debacle.

Another big name superstar?

I feel rather "fool me once,shame on me, fool me twice,shame on you"

To rebuild trust after the Villa debacle, by getting another superstar I would be waiting for the day his contract gets cut short.

• Like 1

To rebuild trust after the Villa debacle, by getting another superstar I would be waiting for the day his contract gets cut short.

Think it's the other way around but I get what you mean.

• Like 1

Another problem with trying to attract people with super stars is that as we saw with ADP the crowds will eventually drop off if that's the only draw card.

To rebuild trust after the Villa debacle, by getting another superstar I would be waiting for the day his contract gets cut short. Another problem with trying to attract people with super stars is that as we saw with ADP the crowds will eventually drop off if that's the only draw card. Very true.

Especially if the product served to the consumer is poor, as us city/heart supporters can attest.

Even if we had villa for 10 games or the whole season, our crowds would still have dropped due to the overall product being rather crap

Think it's the other way around but I get what you mean.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntwdH3Q54ZY

Edited by hedaik
  • Like 3

Tony99 - in answer to your question.

Like KSK-49 says (and as paraphrased from JFK), the real question is, ask not what we can do but ask what CFG should be doing - to make us want to do something.

If just encouraging friends to join is the sole measure, well I've done my bit and have directly got 6 others to join up and numerous others. However I went further and spent a fair bit of time in thinking about how the club could engage its members and promote itself to the community. I then put these ideas to the club with the offer of help. These suggestions were graded with some of the ideas utilising the club's support base so that none or minimal work was required by the club itself. After 10 months of frustrating emails and one personal meeting the sum result was …..........nothing. So what do you do from there?

We all agree that the on field performance is what is the ultimate glue but there are still many other ways that this club could package the product attractively and provide the emotional attachment. Like:

Advertising, advertising, advertising

Signing a name (even if it's a recognised name coach) and promoting them properly

Making the game day experience better (other than the on field stuff)

Publically engaging and getting on board smaller soccer clubs

Publically giving promotion time to school and kids teams

Offering game or membership tickets as prizes particularly to kids (just like McDonalds do)

Involving members in all sorts of events and activities

Listening to its members

Rewarding its members

Show and give support to active (I'm not an active member but, by gosh, they are good for the club and game day experience)

The list goes on and on and none of it is hard. Belaguttman hits the nail on the head, when he says the trouble is this club operates on the “old media” model ie its very paternalistic - we know what we are doing and we will treat the members like incidentals.

I would presume that, like me, we all joined with enthusiasm, hope and a desire to work together to produce a club that we would all be proud of.

I bloody well hope that the new Membership Officer is more dynamic, more willing to listen and is committed to making this club an icon.

After that rant I really do believe that next year will be better (as was last year and the year before that and ...)

I think they need to concentrate on kids more. I tried to buy my 7 year old a home top at the merchandise shop, and was told they don't make them in kids sizes! WTF?? I ended up buying him a Manchester City one, which he wears everywhere. He's a walking billboard for an foreign club!

Also, they need a bigger presence around junior football clubs/clinics. My boy does "Grasshoppers" soccer in Wantirna Sth. They should advertise or make appearances at these, the only presence they have is a tiny membership form at the canteen.

speaking of the on ground wifi, I can join the network but it is so slow for me that I can't even refresh my Twitter feed. Is this others experience?

i've always had trouble connecting while at my seat, got to go to the cityzens pre game function in city class area and wifi was very good, even had footy playing through foxtel go

Maybe our crowd was at the netball yesterday?

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/netball/melbourne-vixens-lose-third-game-in-a-row-20150412-1mjbbx.html

5666 turned out to see the ladies

That's some perspective if I've ever seen it.

its probably just the feminists trying to prove that people are actually interested in womens sport :up:

Edited by bt50

speaking of the on ground wifi, I can join the network but it is so slow for me that I can't even refresh my Twitter feed. Is this others experience?

Is that the city zone thing you're talking about? I am pretty sure thats a local network and doesnt have an Internet connection

Edited by Dylan

From just a casual look it would appear that the Melbourne Vixens netball team regularly draw several thousands to their matches at Hisense Arena.

They have some 3,700 members.

Isn't netball the highest participating sport behind football? Which puzzles me why are there so few fans at football games?

From just a casual look it would appear that the Melbourne Vixens netball team regularly draw several thousands to their matches at Hisense Arena.

They have some 3,700 members.

Isn't netball the highest participating sport behind football? Which puzzles me why are there so few fans at football games?

Melbourne get great crowds at football matches. Its more that there are so few fans at our football games. And thats not really all that puzzling. 

• Like 1

• jw1739 unpinned this topic